• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 207 Rondo Rousey vs Amanda Nunes |OT| No Love & NO MORE QUESTIONS

Status
Not open for further replies.

N° 2048

It's the new Japanese MMA promotion founded by former PRIDE boss Nobuyuki Sakakibara. Rizin has been around for 1 year now and they just had a Open Weight Gran Prix tournament that began in Sept and just ended today. Cro Cop won the Gran Prix and looked very good doing so.

I'm a huge Cro Cop fanboy so wherever and whenever he fights it's the super bowl for me.

Cro Cop is probably one of my favorite fighters of all time.
326456019.gif

728d1039597ae11359cd9b621846f6fd.gif

prime-cro-cop-o.gif

sirap

I'm not saying a boxer could never be beaten, I'm saying those fighters you mentioned destroyed MMA legends with pure striking, and boxers are some of the top strikers in the game. Garbrandt looked fantastic tonight, why didn't Cruz do all of this BJJ magic you guys talk about against someone purely boxing? Every time Cruz would hit the mat, he would literally just wait for him to get back up.

Same with Conor vs. Alvarez, vs. Diaz pt. 2, etc. People keep using fat James Toney as an example of what a boxer would do in MMA, never a top-tier, in his prime boxer.

Nunes was basically a boxer tonight, so was Garbrandt. All Cruz and Rousey had to do was shoot for the legs! It's so easy with fists pounding you every time you try!

That's the wrong way to look at it. Ronda couldn't get a takedown because of a) stubbornness and b) Nunes came prepared with take down defense.

Cody and Garbrandt chose to make this a stand-up battle. Keyword here is "chose". A boxer with no wrestling background, muay-thai or bjj would have no choice but to depend on his fists. He doesn't have years of checking leg kicks ingrained in his head to reflexively defend against a kicks, or the experience to judge distance against an opponent that can spam spinning heel kicks. What happens when his opponent goes after a double leg, or when his strikes do nothing to a freak samoan with super-human chin?

IC5

Heartless turd? Rhonda shows a large physical improvement, evidence of a lot of work and discipline. And videos of her training shows stuff which wouldn't be fakeable by someone heartless and not doing the work.

I think the main problem is that she came out trying to stand with someone whom may end up being one of the most powerful Women strikers in the UFC. Period.If shed played a different game, she probably would have lasted longer.

The other problem is that people change when they are knocked out. I mean it changes your brain. Not only is Rhonda scared, but she may have literally lost some function in the area which kept her moving through hits, in the past. Combine that with a damn serious early hit from Nunez last night (I think it was the 2nd hit) and you've got a script for uninterruptable shutdown.

highrider

Banned
Finally watched this. Cody is for real, really nice display of sportsmanship by Cruz. Can help but feel a little bad for Rhonda, but she should have known better than to come straight forward on someone that knocks people dead.

Nydius

Heartless turd? Rhonda shows a large physical improvement, evidence of a lot of work and discipline. And videos of her training shows stuff which wouldn't be fakeable by someone heartless and not doing the work.

I think the main problem is that she came out trying to stand with someone whom may end up being one of the most powerful Women strikers in the UFC. Period.If shed played a different game, she probably would have lasted longer.

But that's the point. Rousey obviously trained and worked out and did all the right things for the entertainment aspect of the event but she continued to buy into her own hype that she could stick to her judo moves, her arm bar, and be able to stand toe-to-toe with a striker. The result of the match shows she made little real effort to understand the changes that have been occurring in women's UFC for the last year (a renewed focus on boxing and striking) and made even less effort to prepare specifically for her opponent.

That's not taking anything away from Nunes. Nunes is a great fighter. But to me the story is how woefully prepared Rousey was for the fight. That and the fact that instead of trying to work her way back up, she's pretty much ended her career with back-to-back embarrassing defeats.

Did rousey work on her defense at all? It was non existent. She can't seem to dodge or block strikes at all.

You can't just magically teach someone boxing skills and instincts over night. Ronda has zero. She fights stiff and flat footed and doesn't move her head. She's never going to be a good boxer. A good coach would have trained her and devised a game plan around her strengths and weaknesses. Edmund is not a good coach.

Fox318

You can't just magically teach someone boxing skills and instincts over night. Ronda has zero. She fights stiff and flat footed and doesn't move her head. She's never going to be a good boxer. A good coach would have trained her and devised a game plan around her strengths and weaknesses. Edmund is not a good coach.
Ding ding ding.

Plus Nunes fucking sucks on the ground. People claiming she's a world beater haven't seen her gas out.

RocknRola

Wow. Not really a UFC guy at all, but read & saw the videos on a more general sports site and damn...Ronda got rekt. Holy crap. I thought she was supposed to be good? Or was her opponent really on a whole different level of good?

Glad Rhonda got what she deserved. Staying for one year away from the sport knitting n shit isn't the way you do this. Also, seeing CroCop getting the RIZIN belt was awesome! ♡

Shadybiz

Right. Just saw it...she flailed, led with her chin, and just didn't move well. None of her faults have been addressed since her fight with Holm, in fact, I think she looked even worse here than when she fought Holm. No sympathy for the Sandy Hook truther, though, and this Edmund should stop coaching people to be strikers before he gets someone killed.

Ithil

Wow. Not really a UFC guy at all, but read & saw the videos on a more general sports site and damn...Ronda got rekt. Holy crap. I thought she was supposed to be good? Or was her opponent really on a whole different level of good?

Ronda is good...at judo and grappling. She's no good at striking or defending against striking, while Nunes is a power striker.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Oof. So, can ol girl come back from this? She only has two losses on her record, but they're back to back main event losses.

Can she go back, fight some undercards, and get back into the main event? She'd still have the draw, I would think. I just don't know if her "fighting spirit" is still there. She looked broken when they were announcing Nunes as the winner.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Someone needs to make a gif imposing Edmuod's face over Moe's in that Simpsons scene where Moe watches Homer getting pummeled by Dredrick Tatum from the sidelines, tries to shout some encouragement and then glances at the timer to see only six seconds have passed in the ring.

1123822.jpg

Ithil

Ah, so the wrong kind of opponent for her then? Still the other figther, Amanda, owned that fight.

Not just the wrong opponent, but completely unprepared for. Had the fight gone to the ground then Rousey would have easily won, but she didn't even attempt to get it down to the mat, just stood there like a punching bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom