• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 207 Rondo Rousey vs Amanda Nunes |OT| No Love & NO MORE QUESTIONS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeoman

People love when Ronda loses. She just had to look good, not clear and get her 💰

Best,

OM
But she didn't look good.
This was one of the worst performances I've ever seen - she didn't even throw a fucking punch.
You really think Ronda was in this for the money? Her whole identity was based in being the best female fighter in the world. She had one chance to reclaim title that and she fell flat on her face.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Finding it so weird that people are speculating that Rousey is just going to move to doing movies now.

The woman can't fucking act.

Lokbob

Theres no way Ronda continues her career in the UFC anymore...right? She would literally have to go and win 4-5fights in a row to get a chance for the title again? And she would need to basically re-think her whole way of approaching a fight if she were to continue, cause tonight she was a straight up embarrassment

Nah, Ronda gets what Ronda wants. She can fight someone in the top 15 and still get a title shot in the next. I doubt she wants that at this point though.

ironcreed

Banned
untitled-5vakx0.gif

So cute it hurts.

That wasn't the effort of someone who got knocked out previously. She was a fucking boxing bag out there. Not sure how or why she offered no resistance but she's not mentally fit to fight.

Braag

Man... that was brutal. I mean I kinda knew it would go down like that, but didn't expect it to happen so early. Ronda's never gonna be the same.

And as much as I hate Cody I gotta say he looked pretty damn good against Cruz, really fast and accurate.

Not sure you can blame coaching for what happened to Rhonda. Its basic instinct to not want to get hurt in the standup after what happened to her last time and she offered even less movement here. There's something straight up broken in her mind.

ironcreed

Banned
Can we be honest? Rousey looked like a person who has never fought in her fucking life. I swear to God, you could put any random Jane in there and I guarantee she would at least put up a cat fight, with some scratches and claws. Hell, I wager that we all have at least one friend that would have put up more of an effort. Rousey was there to collect a check and retire. NO HEART.

gogogow

Why wouldn't we blame the guy that's supposed to be helping her develop her skills? Every fighter thsts gone to Edmund has gotten worse.

Pretty much. Not everyone has the talent to have great striking skills (like Conor for example), but if you're fighting at that level, you should have some basic boxing skills and she doesn't even have that, cue ronda_boxing.gif. There's definitely something wrong with Taverdyan's coaching.

Can we be honest? Rousey looked like a person who has never fought in her fucking life. I swear to God, you could put any random Jane in there and I guarantee she would at least put up a cat fight, with some scratches and claws. Hell, I wager that we all have at least one friend that would have put up more of an effort. Rousey was there to collect a check and retire. NO HEART.
It does seem she doesn't have the heart anymore. During the Holms fight, she tried. But against Nunes, it's like she doesn't know wtf she should be doing and gave up straighaway.

Alienous

You're on to something - the average person would have at least covered their face and ran.

Rousey seemed like she just had no confidence in herself. She got hit and toggled to "I can't do this" mode.

FStubbs

Finding it so weird that people are speculating that Rousey is just going to move to doing movies now.

The woman can't fucking act.

Plenty of crossover actors like Rousey aspires to be can't act. The problem with Rousey now is that her gimmick, her draw, is smashed to bits. Why would I want to see her in a role over Scarlett Johansson?

ironcreed

Banned
You're on to something - the average person would have at least covered their face and ran.

Rousey seemed like she just had no confidence in herself. She got hit and toggled to "I can't do this" mode.

Exactly. I mean, it is kind of crazy, right? Even my mother would have at least thrown some 'fuck you' blows out of pride. She gave no fucks and was only there for the last check.

MVP

Banned
As a lifetime boxing fan, and also an MMA fan more recently, I wonder why people act like professional boxers would get destroyed in the UFC.

Watching Conor, Garbrandt, Nunes, Holm etc. destroy these "unbeatable" MMA fighters using striking, it seems like if some of the top boxers learn some kicking and some ground game, they'd run through the top ranks of the UFC, and they just don't because the UFC pays most fighters like peasants.

I thought the Garbrandt and Nunes fight were entertaining, and I realized it's because I was watching a boxing match, I was watching a FIGHT, not wrestling and hugging.

Chesskid1

Banned
not buying the fact you guys think ronda had no heart.

in the holm fight, she literally had no idea how footwork works, she did zero cutting off the cage with angles which is what you want to do when you want to grab someone. ronda literally chased her in a straight line so obviously that makes it pretty easy for a boxer like holm to look like a god.

next match up if you want to counter ronda's style you throw hard punches down the middle which is exactly what nunes did and ronda literally walked right into the punches.

i mean, coaches shouldn't have to even tell her to do head movement, cut off the cage, it should be automatic.

if anything, this stuff screams she wasn't properly trained to me.

it's really a shame we'll never see how she would do under a legitimate coach.

JB1981

It's called getting blasted in the face

She's the one dumb enough to look at the other fighters fight, yet think what she's being taught is on par.

That still falls under coaching. It's his responsibility to put his fighter in the best position to win. A part of that is getting them in the right mindset. He's been blowing smoke up her ass since the beginning. He's not doing her any favors being a yes man. Yes, Rousey is stubborn but we also see how much she admires Edmund and he's just continuously letting her down by being a hack.

Onemic

Even though I wanted Ronda to get her ass kicked, I felt a little bad for her for that complete beat down. It was arguably worse than what Holmes did. She was nowhere to be seen for the post fight too and Nunes is now straight up saying that she'll retire. No ones scared of her anymore and she's now a big joke.

I expect her to announce her retirement soon and fade into irrelevance. She has her money but lost everything else. I don't even think she can do wwe with how much respect she's lost between both her knockouts.

BSsBrolly

Banned
As a lifetime boxing fan, and also an MMA fan more recently, I wonder why people act like professional boxers would get destroyed in the UFC.

Watching Conor, Garbrandt, Nunes, Holm etc. destroy these "unbeatable" MMA fighters using striking, it seems like if some of the top boxers learn some kicking and some ground game, they'd run through the top ranks of the UFC, and they just don't because the UFC pays most fighters like peasants.

I thought the Garbrandt and Nunes fight were entertaining, and I realized it's because I was watching a boxing match, I was watching a FIGHT, not wrestling and hugging.

Professional boxers would be destroyed. Not by standing with them...

gogogow

Lol, just learn some kicking and some ground game, lol. I bet these boxers would get a black belt in Jiu-Jitsu within a year!

sirap

You're right. It's not like the examples you listed know anything about bjj, wrestling or sprawling...skills that are so easily acquired any joe schmo can learn them!

It's just as big of a lol to believe that someone who is an expert in the ground game would be able to pin down a professional boxer like it's no big deal. They would be eating those fists like no tomorrow.

You don't even have to take boxers down, just stay out of range and stick with leg kicks. What's the boxer going to do, take you down?

Lol, just learn some kicking and some ground game, lol. I bet these boxers would get a black belt in Jiu-Jitsu within a year!

It's just as big of a lol to believe that someone who is an expert in the ground game would be able to pin down a professional boxer like it's no big deal. They would be eating those fists like no tomorrow.

I'm not saying they would win, but being ten times better at one aspect of fighting than the competition has some advantages.

maybe Ronda should have taken Floyd up on his offer to help her with her boxing

I still can't believe that some people were arguing with a straight face that Ronda would win that fight. Maybe the dumbest thing I have seen on the internet this year, and that's saying something.

gogogow

Yeah, and those boxers would be eating feet like no tomorrow to their faces and legs. A boxer would have no idea how to defend themselves from a takedown.

BSsBrolly

Banned
I'm not saying they would win, but being ten times better at one aspect of fighting than the competition has some advantages.

It definitely has advantages but MMA is a different sport. Boxing is just one aspect of many. It's like saying "why doesn't an Olympic medalist in wrestling just learn boxing?"

And just think at one point people was screaming ronda could box may weather

No one said that... beating Floyd in a fight is not the same as beating Floyd in a boxing match.

Ithil

So what happens when the world class boxer who has had some rudimentary training gets taken down by a world class wrestler and striking ceases to be a factor on the ground?

You act like Conor, Nunes, Holm etc are undefeated. Conor and Holm both lost this year to submissions.

Onemic

I still can't believe that some people were arguing with a straight face that Ronda would win that fight. Maybe the dumbest thing I have seen on the internet this year, and that's saying something.

...I somehow remember that...LOL

People were really drinking the Ronda kool-aid back then. I wont even lie, I was too.

And just think at one point people was screaming ronda could box may weather
She got her shit kicked in good last night trying to box. The people who really thought this were nuts. Conner McGregor should rethink this too. Floyd would kill him in the ring. Conner would tear Floyd a new one in the Octagon.

A few well placed leg kicks can take a boxer out of the fight real quick. It'll also help the MMA fighter to keep his distance and set up a takedown. Once the fight is on the ground, it's only a matter time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom