• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 207 Rondo Rousey vs Amanda Nunes |OT| No Love & NO MORE QUESTIONS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox318

2oQW4BS.jpg
That douche killed a fucking golden goose.

MVP

Banned
So what happens when the world class boxer who has had some rudimentary training gets taken down by a world class wrestler and striking ceases to be a factor on the ground?

You act like Conor, Nunes, Holm etc are undefeated. Conor and Holm both lost this year to submissions.

I'm not saying a boxer could never be beaten, I'm saying those fighters you mentioned destroyed MMA legends with pure striking, and boxers are some of the top strikers in the game. Garbrandt looked fantastic tonight, why didn't Cruz do all of this BJJ magic you guys talk about against someone purely boxing? Every time Cruz would hit the mat, he would literally just wait for him to get back up.

Same with Conor vs. Alvarez, vs. Diaz pt. 2, etc. People keep using fat James Toney as an example of what a boxer would do in MMA, never a top-tier, in his prime boxer.

nZHUxRB.gif

Nunes was basically a boxer tonight, so was Garbrandt. All Cruz and Rousey had to do was shoot for the legs! It's so easy with fists pounding you every time you try!

Future

Man these threads become unbearable when the non-MMA fans ruin them with the boxing talk.

Just watched this 1 minute beat down and it's not surprising. She looked unable to take strikes and her grapples were teched out of every time.

But i think it was more about fear. Rousey looked SCARED to take the strike. Her career has to be over. Any intimidation she had in the past is gone

BSsBrolly

Banned
I'm not saying a boxer could never be beaten, I'm saying those fighters you mentioned destroyed MMA legends with pure striking, and boxers are some of the top strikers in the game. Garbrandt looked fantastic tonight, why didn't Cruz do all of this BJJ magic you guys talk about against someone purely boxing? Every time Cruz would hit the mat, he would literally just wait for him to get back up.

Same with Conor vs. Alvarez, vs. Diaz pt. 2, etc. People keep using fat James Toney as an example of what a boxer would do in MMA, never a top-tier, in his prime boxer.

nZHUxRB.gif

Nunes was basically a boxer tonight, so was Garbrandt. All Cruz and Rousey had to do was shoot for the legs! It's so easy with fists pounding you every time you try!

Maybe because Gabrandt, McGreggor, and Diaz know how to defend the takedown AND also know what they're doing when it goes to the ground? Garbrandt has an extensive boxing and wrestling background. I wouldn't put money on him in a professional boxing match. Just like I wouldn't put money on Floyd in an MMA fight.

I wish I could remember who it was but there was a K1 match where they took this US professional boxer and put it up against one of their up and coming pretty boy Japanese starts. Literally all the dude did was a cover up and leg kick the boxer for like 2 rounds and it was over. Really wish I could remember who the fighters were.

FStubbs

How about Muhammad Ali vs Antonio Inoki? Inoki was heavily restricted and still did permanent damage to Ali - he was never the same after that match.

nZHUxRB.gif

You shouldn't compare a boxer to those guys. They're actually skilled mixed martial artists. They know how to defend takedowns and defend themselves on the ground if it gets there. A boxer doesn't.

Ithil

nZHUxRB.gif

But Conor's biggest change in the second Diaz fight compared to the first was his attacking Diaz' leg with nonstop kicks. Not from boxing (if anything the issue in the first fight was Diaz' size and durability meant Conor's punches weren't KOing him and let Diaz get the upper hand and eventually the win)..

Conor has also become a much better fighter as he improved his takedown defence, which was a weakness earlier. You're acting like Conor only does boxing in matches or something.

Who says anything about matching the boxing skills of whoever? Taverdyan is a shit coach. Have you heard what he said to Ronda during the Holms fight?

Ronda is rich, does she only have one coach? Fine if she wants to keep Taverdyan around, but why doesn't she have a separate boxing coach?

Wouldn't make a difference. Brock Lesnar or Gracie never also could never learn to box or strike, because they started far far too late.

Chesskid1

Banned
people don't realize it takes years and years and years of drilling ground stuff to even become competent at it, and you box completely different when you don't have to worry about kicks/knees/grappling/clinching/takedowns so the skills just don't carry over.

it's what makes MMA fun though. amazing knockout artists and amazing ground guys all work, but you have to know everything or people will avoid your strengths.

Calderc

Just watched this 1 minute beat down and it's not surprising. She looked unable to take strikes and her grapples were teched out of every time.

But i think it was more about fear. Rousey looked SCARED to take the strike. Her career has to be over. Any intimidation she had in the past is gone

I mean the boxing talk as in Boxing vs MMA: WHO WOULD WIN?!

It's just utterly stupid.

Nydius

Yep, this right here is why I believe she needs to retire. I've seen articles where hardcore Rousey fans are losing their minds at the mention of the word "retire", saying she only lost two fights and others (including Holm) had lost as many or more. But they miss the forest for the trees. It's not just that she lost them, it's the manner in which she lost them. There's no fear of Rousey anymore and I see no motivation or drive from Rousey herself to adjust her fighting strategy to address the changes that's occurred in women's MMA fighting over the last year and a half.

There's rumors she's supposedly going to WWE. Sad to say, that might be the best thing for her. I'm not even sure her movie career has much future going forward because her entire brand was built on her success in the octagon. Now she's going to be competing for bit roles alongside fellow fighter-turned-actress Gina Carano.

Orca

Rousey's biggest problem is that she is a terrible striker and think she can keep it standing against people who aren't terrible strikers. When she focused on getting it to the ground and trying to tear someone's arm off she was unbeatable. Now that she believes the hype that she's not a one-trick pony, she's getting ruined.

N° 2048

That golden goose was a one-trick paper tiger who's hype burned out and could no longer carry the weight of the facade. There are children who would have put up a better fight.

My man, telling it how it is. People hate to hear this but it's fucking true.

SpaceWolf

Banned
There's rumors she's supposedly going to WWE. Sad to say, that might be the best thing for her. I'm not even sure her movie career has much future going forward because her entire brand was built on her success in the octagon. Now she's going to be competing for bit roles alongside fellow fighter-turned-actress Gina Carano.

Gina Carano can actually act, though.

I know it's popular to hate on Ronda now but I think you guys are down playing how much of a beast Nunez is. Then couple that with Ronda not being able to box. People are acting like Ronda is bad and aren't factoring in how good Nunez is.

N° 2048

Gina Carano can actually act, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSiMDOhtz80

rofl @ the cuts because she probably needed 8000 takes for those one liners.

I know it's popular to hate on Ronda now but I think you guys are down playing how much of a beast Nunez is. Then couple that with Ronda not being able to box. People are acting like Ronda is bad and aren't factoring in how good Nunez is.

Yep, people were sleeping on Nunes but very few here, including me, knew she could knock her out because of her long punching, speed and power.
Edmund made her believe she had the skills she didn't.

MaulerX

Just saw an after fight YouTube video about Amanda talking about Ronda's coach and how she couldn't understand why he would instill in Ronda's mind that she was a great boxer/striker when she wasn't.

I mean Amanda is 100% right, Ronda has ZERO head movement, ZERO side stepping skills and probably ZERO boxing skills period.

That golden goose was a one-trick paper tiger who's hype burned out and could no longer carry the weight of the facade. There are children who would have put up a better fight.

The question is whether she could have been something more with a real trainer who knew what he was doing. She's wasted years of effort with this guy.

Why does the reaction of Ronda's loss seem to largely be one of satisfaction. Her last fight was really bad and she came back to this bad loss. Is she a jerk so people are just happy to see her fail? I really don't know or follow this sort of sport so that's why I'm asking

SpaceWolf

Banned
Why does the reaction of Ronda's loss seem to largely be one of satisfaction. Her last fight was really bad and she came back to this bad loss. Is she a jerk so people are just happy to see her fail? I really don't know or follow this sort of sport so that's why I'm asking

She's a Sandy Hook truther in addition to having developed a reputation for being extremely arrogant when she was at her peak.

Once you find out someone is a Sandy Hook truther, it's kind of hard to keep rooting for them.

Personally, most of my feelings towards her are a result of hating her "tough" face.

The second she walked out and I saw that face, I was filled with a desire to see it punched.

N° 2048

Personally, most of my feelings towards her are a result of hating her "tough" face.

The second she walked out and I saw that face, I was filled with a desire to see it punched.

It's what she does so she doesn't mentally crumble right there. It's like someone who has a really really shitty poker face.

ironcreed

Banned
The question is whether she could have been something more with a real trainer who knew what he was doing. She's wasted years of effort with this guy.

You don't need a trainer to at least show up. I will put money on any individual in this thread to at east put up a fight. The writing was on the wall for those with eyes to see. Denial is not a river in Egypt, my friend. She was there for the last paycheck and that's it.

Tom_Cody

nZHUxRB.gif

What a great fight that was.

What fight is this?
That's Jermall Charlo KOing Julian Williams. The fight was even better than the KO (technically that was a KD punch, but it lead to the TKO).

You don't need a trainer to at least show up. I will put money on any individual in this thread to at east put up a fight. The writing was on the wall for those with eyes to see. Denial is not a river in Egypt, my friend. She was there for the last paycheck and that's it.

You do need a trainer to be honest with you about what you have and what you're going to do with it when you face someone better. Pumping her up mentally and making her think that she could out-box Holm and Nunes has contributed to two maulings.

You can save the played denial line as well. I haven't ever said that I expected a Rousey win because I never did.

She was built up be one of the greatest athletes of our time when her reputation was built on beating a couple of tomato cans.

ianpm31

What is this Rizin madness and how's this tale of Cro Cop fighting? I need to get into this.

It's the new Japanese MMA promotion founded by former PRIDE boss Nobuyuki Sakakibara. Rizin has been around for 1 year now and they just had a Open Weight Gran Prix tournament that began in Sept and just ended today. Cro Cop won the Gran Prix and looked very good doing so.

I'm a huge Cro Cop fanboy so wherever and whenever he fights it's the super bowl for me.

ironcreed

Banned
You do need a trainer to be honest with you about what you have and what you're going to do with it when you face someone better. Pumping her up mentally and making her think that she could out-box Holm and Nunes has contributed to two maulings.

You can save the played denial line as well. I haven't ever said that I expected a Rousey win because I never did.

I actually agree with the good coach line, but no coach can make gold out of an over hyped and heartless TURD who only showed up to get paid for the last time. You could see this coming from a mile away with Rousey and to blame it on coaching at this point is making excuses... period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom