• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UHD Blu-ray Game Consoles shipped in 2013

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What partnership? That's my point we don't know what they are partnering about.

If you had read further, you would have noticed that he also said there was "no scoop" as the registrations were purely defensive -- to prevent others from registering the domains and setting up a website for a fake enterprise. Furthermore, "partner" is used in the present tense, so the logical conclusion here is that it was a poor word choice and he'd intended to refer to the two companies sharing (some of) the console space.

If you look at the date of the domain registration it was June 2011.

July 2011, but I digress. The registrations were more than half a decade ago now and there has been absolutely nothing to suggest that Shaw's tweet (posted just a couple of days later) was insincere. No announcement. No leaks. No rumours. There is no "Microsoft-Sony" or "Sony-Microsoft".

Jeff, do you plan on linking to the posts you assert Stinkles made about firmware updates? If you're going to make these claims without providing proper citations, I don't think you're arguing in good faith.

He's apparently avoiding the matter as not only was he was last online a little under five hours ago but also ignored both of Adam's earlier requests despite quoting one. This is one those instances where it'd behove you to display a modicum of humility, Jeff.

c0de

dtk5wp4eyzg024e4d1mnlbdws.500x384x1.jpg

jvm

Gamasutra.
Just read JaseC's comments

Rigby has no problem dumping his garbage in other threads tho
Oh? I'll look around then. We need some stalker options to automatically track posts by other posters that we want to follow... 😉

Edit: Just found that other thread. Jeepers!

Seems clear XB1's aren't being firmware updated for UHD support, now that XBOs is on shelves, and the latest OS update is released.

Will this thread keep going as we wait through the next PS4 update and Neo release?

NewDust

Seems clear XB1's aren't being firmware updated for UHD support, now that XBOs is on shelves, and the latest OS update is released.

Will this thread keep going as we wait through the next PS4 update and Neo release?

Jeff will dig up new documents to retrofit them to the new situation and define some vague timeline on when it will come. That way he can always say "see I was right..." or put his head in the sand when things don't his way, find new documents to retrofit etc, etc.

ekurisona

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-inside-xbox-one-s-tech-interview

Digital Foundry: Is the support of UHD Blu-ray solely a software thing, or does Xbox One S ship with a more modern BD drive?

Albert Penello: Great question. I have seen people online believe that you can do a 'firmware' upgrade to our existing BD drive to support 4K, but that's not true. In addition to DSP firmware updates, the drive in the Xbox One S also includes a new optical pickup to support three-layer UHD Blu-ray format discs. Plus HDMI 2.0 video output with HDCP 2.2 copy protection is also a BD-UHD certification requirement, both of which are included in Xbox One S and weren't implemented on the other Xbox One consoles.

LordOfChaos

EDIT: Ah, beaten to it

Digital Foundry: Is the support of UHD Blu-ray solely a software thing, or does Xbox One S ship with a more modern BD drive?

Everything we know about PS4 Neo
What's different in Sony's mid-generation 4K upgrade.
Everything we know about PS4 Neo
Albert Penello: Great question. I have seen people online believe that you can do a 'firmware' upgrade to our existing BD drive to support 4K, but that's not true. In addition to DSP firmware updates, the drive in the Xbox One S also includes a new optical pickup to support three-layer UHD Blu-ray format discs. Plus HDMI 2.0 video output with HDCP 2.2 copy protection is also a BD-UHD certification requirement, both of which are included in Xbox One S and weren't implemented on the other Xbox One consoles.

The dream is dead, Jeff

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-inside-xbox-one-s-tech-interview

Yusuf Mehdi / Corporate Vice President, Windows and Devices Group who in 2013 stated the XB1 has the hardware to support UHD Blu-ray.wrote a blog article I cited. In the article and associated links the Windows 10 update today implements TPM 2.0 for APUs and dGPU that Microsoft required firmware updates for from Manufacturers about 4 days before so that support for UHD DRM was in place. Yusuf's post shows an understanding of the DRM technology needed for UHD BLu-ray,

The XB1 Slim is releasing the day of the Windows 10 update that requires hardware manufacturers to support TMP 2.0 (DRM security necessary for UHD media) which in the XB1, PS4, AMD APUs and later dGPUs is ARM trustzone. TMP 2.0 is built into the OS for hardware releasing after August 2015 but for OS in hardware released in 2013, the OS needs a major rewrite which will likely occur later this year as the efficientgaming.EU papers have charts showing UHD support starts 2016 and Launch Game consoles are UHD capable; firmware updated to support UHD in 2016.

I've been saying this for weeks now. Spencer stating the XB1 will be the first game console to support UHD blu-ray is true and it will be the first Windows 10 platform also as PCs don't support it yet. The groundwork for UHD media DRM in now in place for PCs so a UHD Netflix app then UHD blu-ray PC app from Sony can come at any time.

MaLDo

THAT'S NOT TRUE

3088222-ydsh42n.gif

As usual, a resounding "NO" from the people who actually make the thing, is a lie in Jeff's world. I think at this point even Satya Nadella's personal "NO" can't convince him now.

Yusuf Mehdi / Corporate Vice President, Windows and Devices Group who in 2013 stated the XB1 has the hardware to support UHD Blu-ray.wrote a blog article I cited. In the article and associated links the Windows 10 update today implements TPM 2.0 for APUs and dGPU that Microsoft required firmware updates for from Manufacturers about 4 days before so that support for UHD DRM was in place. Yusuf's post shows an understanding of the DRM technology needed for UHD BLu-ray,

The XB1 Slim is releasing the day of the Windows 10 update that requires hardware manufacturers to support TMP 2.0 (DRM security necessary for UHD media) which in the XB1, PS4, AMD APUs and later dGPUs is ARM trustzone. TMP 2.0 is built into the OS for hardware releasing after August 2015 but for OS in hardware released in 2013, the OS needs a major rewrite which will likely occur later this year as the efficientgaming.EU papers have charts showing UHD support starts 2016 and Launch Game consoles are UHD capable; firmware updated to support UHD in 2016.

I've been saying this for weeks now. Spencer stating the XB1 will be the first game console to support UHD blu-ray is true and it will be the first Windows 10 platform also as PCs don't support it yet. The groundwork for UHD media DRM in now in place for PCs so a UHD Netflix app then UHD blu-ray PC app from Sony can come at any time.

Sony is a different animal, they don't need the extra feature to sell PS4s, they will wait and release a firmware update for the PS3, PS4, their phones, Tablets and TVs at the same time supporting Vidipath which with UHD BLu-ray digital bridge streams media to all their platforms in the home. They are in no hurry as evidenced by their Stand alone UHD blu-ray player releasing before March 2017.

Stop it you phony engineer. Its enough. Its over. Just admit you were wrong instead of posting the same thing over and over again in different threads. Debating in good faith requires a person to admit when they have no idea what they are talking about, which is now, at this moment.

As usual, a resounding "NO" from the people who actually make the thing, is a lie in Jeff's world. I think at this point even Satya Nadella's personal "NO" can't convince him now.
Shameful, embarrassing, and not even a little bit surprising.

Numerous people from Microsoft and Sony have said the same thing, and Jeff dismissed them all as liars or ignorant, so it's not surprising he's continuing to do the same here.

I, for one, cannot wait until I can play 4k Blu Rays on my ps4. My parents bought a 4k TV, and I have 4k versions of Fury Road and God's of Egypt I'm dying to watch. Just waiting on Sony at this point.

Impulsor

I unboxed my Xbox One S and instead of an S it had two S.

Looks exactly the same, but it plays MHUHD 16K HYPER QUANTUM HDR Penta Layer Blu Rays with a day one patch.

It even turned my TV into a transformer.

You all wait and see, the future is now. Skynet will be patched into your Xbox One S Consoles.

Danlord

Nice edit there. You posted something along the lines of Sony is a different animal and they're in no rush to add it because they don't need it to sell more PS4's since it's doing so well. Completely contradicting your ""theory"" about Firmware 4.00 being used to add 4K Blu-ray support. edit: You also mentioned something about it as evidence that Sony's UHD Players are coming March 2017 too. Mods can see edited post histories too.

At this point, you have been called out so many times, even directly by someone at Microsoft. I'm sure you'll say he's only in marketing and won't be privvy to technical documents that he's ignorant to "technical facts" and you'll link to citations that are just your previous posts on GAF with further posts about evidence mostly more of your own previous posts again and maybe one or two technical papers.

horkrux

Clearly, Albert Penello doesn't know what he's talking about. We have the real expert among us to spread the truth!

Beyond the quote about the optical drive:

Albert Penello: There are several components required to support the 4K UHD video playback that result in a combination of changes in the new console. First, we added a 4K HEVC decoder to the SoC to render the compressed video streams efficiently in hardware. Next, we updated the video output to HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2. The interface revisions are all integrated into the SoC and enable outputting video at the higher bandwidths required for 4K UHD and HDR formats, as well as the copy protection tech required for protected content. And of course, we updated the optical drive to support the BD-UHD disc format.

Confirms every single thing that Stacey Spears and company have been saying all along: statements that Jeff disregarded as the handiwork of liars and ignoramuses.

Beyond the quote about the optical drive:

Confirms every single thing that Stacey Spears and company have been saying all along: statements that Jeff disregarded as the handiwork of liars and ignoramuses.
I notice you have succumbed to the mob mentality given the pile ganging up on me. First post says: Jeff dismissed them all as liars or ignorant, now liars and ignoramuses. I have consistently said the people you cite have in statements, that which make them suspect. Then, if I am correct...everyone lied. Ito I said was ignorant or lied for an NDA. because he also said the PS4 drive can't support three layers.

From an article in 2012: The newer BDXL discs are not compatible with current Blu-ray disc drives, though some manufacturers are able to release a firmware upgrade, but the drive has to be fairly new to support the upgrade.

The three layer lens upgrade does not make sense. The lens only focuses the laser on the disk. The pickup does not use a custom lens as reflections from all three layers are in the returned light. The delay in the pulsed light determines the layer with the DSP filtering the layer being read. The disk is more important than the drive in multi-layer disks as the top layers have to allow light through to lower layers while reflecting only a portion back to the pickup. It would seem that the lowest layer (third layer) would have the most returned light and be easiest to read.

I also find it interesting that the DSP chip does not have to be changed to support UHD, should I take him as a expert confirming the Mount Fuji book changes do not require a different drive? This might have an impact on the PS4 supporting UHD blu-ray.

HDCP 2.2 is a software routine running in the TEE that is also used for Miracast so no Miracast? The 2013 XB1 only supports HEVC for HD media and isn't UHD Capable? If so then the Compliance report from Microsoft stating it's HD was correct while the Intertek lab report and first letter to the EU were incorrect and were not caught by the steering committee review.

I find the Albert Penello statements confusing just as I do the others you cite. Multiple articles confirm even 2008 drives can read multiple layers (over 4), the layers are not an issue, the Mark length and the DSP upgrade was/is the issue with drives prior to 2011-2012.

androvsky

The three layer lens upgrade does not make sense. The lens only focuses the laser on the disk. The pickup does not use a custom lens as reflections from all three layers are in the returned light. The delay in the pulsed light determines the layer with the DSP filtering the layer being read.

I'd really like to see a citation of this part, especially the bolded.

Colbert

Banned
OP will either ignore this or throw a bunch of "sources" at your post stating that in fairy tail land it is still possible.

There is no weazel out this time. The statements are cystal clear and we all know who Albert Penello was talking about when stating "some people online believe".

Jeff and those misterxmedia cultists

I find the Albert Penello statements confusing just as I do the others you cite.
It's pretty clear-cut: what Spears, Ito, Penello, Spencer, et al are all saying differs from your understanding because they know what they're talking about, and you don't. Instead of barking about how the seeming entirety of Microsoft and Sony are clueless or liars, maybe you should try to learn from what they have to say.

How many people from Microsoft and Sony have to say "the consoles need a dedicated HEVC decoder, an updated optical drive, etc." before you're willing to accept it?

I notice you have succumbed to the mob mentality given the pile ganging up on me.
That post is no different than anything in the dozen and a half other pages before this.

Top Bottom