• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because she wants to go and meet voters instead apparently. I want to see the evidence.. which voters did she meet this evening?

Same. When Theresa called the election I thought it was a no-brainer and I was going to vote Tory because of Labour's disarray. But I have now made my postal vote.. and it wasn't Tory.

My postal vote was going to be labour anyway, but I started off thinking Corbyn was a bit of a weirdo but now I've seen/heard a bit more of him, I really dig him. Doubt they'll win, but I hope he stays on as leader.

hohoXD123

So it was a calculated move. If she did well, they wouldn't bring it up, if she did poorly, they'd bring it up to garner some sympathy.

Terrible all round.

Seems to have backfired on them though. Has made May's move look even worse.

Not turning up to the debate would have been fair enough. Wouldn't have looked great but just paint it as a challenger's debate, Cameron did as much. But then they send a lackey which looks worse because it's no longer a challenger's debate and makes her look weaker - makes it look like Rudd is better able to represent the Tory party than the leader herself. Then they release this info about Rudd's father which makes May look callous for letting Rudd take on her responsibility. Whoever is in charge of running the Tory campaign needs to be fired.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
He's banned at the moment, I thought? I hope not permanent.

Beefy

The poll of polls feels right. The Tories have been a bit glum but not despondent. They'll get a majority in the region of 30-80 and think what might have been.
Some are saying Panelbase haven't done a new pole yet, so it will be interesting to see what they give.

Faddy

Banned
British polls are such trash.

The thing about polls is they don't necessarily translate to seats. So you then need to feed the poll into a model that varies wildly across the UK.

e.g. That apparent further Lib Dem collapse might not be as bad if all their support remains strong or even grows in the South West and East Scotland. That might be enough to gain 6 or 7 seats while they lose votes in the in Yorkshire and the North of England but it doesn't effect their seat count.

Mr Git

DBLkM66XsAE4PmL.jpg

This is amazing! And so shamelessly stolen for social media sorry

pulsemyne

Apparently the BBC audience tonight was supplied by ComRes and meant to be a cross section. If that's the case then the tories could have a problem.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
That was public prediction, not public preference. Britain Elects typo'd.

pulsemyne

Nah, the middle group of polls sound about right. Panelbase release their's tomorrow and have said it will have a Tory lead decrease

The TNS poll also took place over 5-6 days which is a bit odd to say the least as such a poll would have an tendancy to flatline any sudden increase in a partys polling.
If panel base come back with a tory lead of around 8-6 points then I think the tories may begin to worry as that would put them into possible low majority/ hung parliament. Survation, who did a reasonable job last time in 2015, seems to probably be the best with a 6 point difference.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Survation were the most accurate pollsters in 2015 and the referendum, so it's not like YouGOV is completely mad.

kmag

The TNS poll also took place over 5-6 days which is a bit odd to say the least as such a poll would have an tendancy to flatline any sudden increase in a partys polling.
If panel base come back with a tory lead of around 8-6 points then I think the tories may begin to worry as that would put them into possible low majority/ hung parliament. Survation, who did a reasonable job last time in 2015, seems to probably be the best with a 6 point difference.

Survation are the only pollster not to make any radical changes in weighting methodology since 2015 so they're pretty confident in their setup. Well Panelbase haven't made any big changes yet either, but are supposedly throwing in a completely new model for their final poll just for the luls (although I think they said they're going to show results with both their old and new model)

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
More people think they're the best party for their family and their country......but only 7% want them to get a majority. The British public.

It was a typo. It's people's prediction of the result, not their preference over the result.

pulsemyne

Aren't Comres showing the biggest Tory lead (outside of a relatively ancient Panelbase poll)?

Yep. Comres were an odd one last time, they had the occasional poll showing a tie apart from their poll showing a 4 point tory lead. Even then though it was close to margin of error.
592f37d656271_pollsbaby.thumb.PNG.a7f4ef26cc569c3a9dc2b8142909ecbb.PNG

Seems to have backfired on them though. Has made May's move look even worse.

Not turning up to the debate would have been fair enough. Wouldn't have looked great but just paint it as a challenger's debate, Cameron did as much. But then they send a lackey which looks worse because it's no longer a challenger's debate and makes her look weaker - makes it look like Rudd is better able to represent the Tory party than the leader herself. Then they release this info about Rudd's father which makes May look callous for letting Rudd take on her responsibility. Whoever is in charge of running the Tory campaign needs to be fired.

Today we've had a story about senior Tories being furious that an election was called and also about how it's been run, Boris refusing several times to rule out standing for the leadership, and now a leaked story that makes Rudd look strong and brave and May look cowardly and callous timed just as Rudd is appearing on national TV.

I think the knives are out for May, even if the Tories win the election.

hohoXD123

Today we've had a story about senior Tories being furious that an election was called and also about how it's been run, Boris refusing several times to rule out standing for the leadership, and now a leaked story that makes Rudd look strong and brave and May look cowardly and callous timed just as Rudd is appearing on national TV.

I think the knives are out for May, even if the Tories win the election.

Yeah, barring a complete landslide victory somewhat resembling the initial predictions, May has been weakened by this snap election.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Meant Survation ha , sorry

37-31 for GE which was spot-on for Labour and 1 point too low for the Conservatives, 51-49 for Referendum which was 1 point too low on Leave and 1 point too high on Remain.

Obviously there's a fair amount of luck in that because even a hypothetical perfect polling model still has random error, so it's not like they're some magical gold standard, but they do have a good record.

Can't decide whether to get my hopes up for a Labour coalition or just let the Tories keep a majority so they can be blamed for all the Brexit cock-ups and sink the Conservatives for a decade or two

Yeah, barring a complete landslide victory somewhat resembling the initial predictions, May has been weakened by this snap election.

The contenders are already starting their campaigns. If the Labour slugs throw another tantrum we could see simultaneous Labour/Tory leadership elections for the 2nd time in a year

StayDead

Can't decide whether to get my hopes up for a Labour coalition or just let the Tories keep a majority so they can be blamed for all the Brexit cock-ups and sink the Conservatives for a decade or two

The thingg is they literally can't lose. If they do fuck up everything they'll find a way to blame labour.

hohoXD123

I wonder, if the other EU leaders have been keeping an eye on this election, regardless of the result, would their opinion of May have improved or worsened?

Biggzy

The story about Amber Rudd's father dying just before the debate makes May's non show even worse and looks incredibly bad on her.

tuxfool

Banned

They're going to shrug off any mishaps over brexit. Their strong and stable avatar will get all the blame.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Given Theresa May refused to turn up to her job interview, we'll need to sanction her public benefits.

Jezbollah

I wonder, if the other EU leaders have been keeping an eye on this election, regardless of the result, would their opinion of May have improved or worsened?

Of course they will be. There are major negotiations to take place very soon after the election - one of the key aspects of such a process is to know your opponent. The EU will be delighted if Corbyn gets in, because it means a larger likelyhood of a soft Brexit and less painful negotiations (I'm guessing at that last bit..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom