• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Splinter

Of course they will be. There are major negotiations to take place very soon after the election - one of the key aspects of such a process is to know your opponent. The EU will be delighted if Corbyn gets in, because it means a larger likelyhood of a soft Brexit and less painful negotiations (I'm guessing at that last bit..)
You don't think Corbyn can be a "bloody difficult woman"?

I wonder, if the other EU leaders have been keeping an eye on this election, regardless of the result, would their opinion of May have improved or worsened?

Considering this whole thing is both delaying negotiations and done on the pretense she was gonna win by a decent margin, if the party doesn't do well, they'll think she and the rest of the government are morons. Probably no different to what they thought before but the bar will have been thoroughly lowered.

Hazzuh

Someone made an infographic of who was interrupting who during the debate

DBMGc1_XsAExyUr.jpg

DBMGeFmXUAAoad5.jpg

DBMJx5zXUAA8f9Q.jpg

In the first the size reflects how often each person was interrupted. In the second they represent how often they interrupted someone else. Finally, there is a table of each participant's targets for interruptions. Participants are on the left and targets along the top.

Izuna

Banned
Someone made an infographic of who was interrupting who during the debate

Who the hell is this someone?

But I expected Corbyn's results to appear like so. If there is anything I like about him, it's the fact that he isn't subscribing to the "I'm louder than you tho!" thing politicians like to do these days.

Happens all the time.

Which party has the policies that suit you best? Labour. Who should you consider voting for? Labour.

Who are you going to vote for/who should win? Conservative.

You keep harping on but we had three successive Labour terms, a hung parliament after those and one Tory win. Labour brought in tuition fees and took us head first in a ridiculous war.

Acorn

John Crace said:
“I’m interested that Corbyn is interested in the number of TV appearances he is making,” she said, a reply that left everyone confused.

The Maybot usually deals either in tautology or non-sequitur, but this time her system had crashed completely and she had managed both at the same time. To no obvious advantage.

John Crace is a national treasure and one of the few things keeping me relatively sane since 2010.

You keep harping on but we had three successive Labour terms, a hung parliament after those and one Tory win. Labour brought in tuition fees and took us head first in a ridiculous war.

And who in the Labour Party opposed all those things, by god I think it's the current leader of the Labour Party.

That's nice.

Now go take a look at Jeremy Corbyns voting behaviour on those very issues and come back to the thread. What you find might apparently surprise you.

excowboy

Any links to this story about Rudd's father and the reaction to it? Is it really getting any traction to tarnish May? Very sad scenario if you think about it - your dad dies and 48 hours later he's the subject of political swingball.

If these polls are half right and May only comes back with a handful of extra seats is it really likely she'd be ousted? Surely that could trigger another election? People would go nuts if the Tories appear in disarray with another unelected PM shortly after a vanity GE supposed to deliver a mandate for Brexit whilst presumably delaying negotiations further. I don't think they could pull it off.

satriales

Any links to this story about Rudd's father and the reaction to it? Is it really getting any traction to tarnish May? Very sad scenario if you think about it - your dad dies and 48 hours later he's the subject of political swingball.

It was The Sun and Telegraph that ran this story but probably with the sole intention of making Rudd look strong or to get people to sympathise with her. I don't think they considered how it would make May look even worse.

If these polls are half right and May only comes back with a handful of extra seats is it really likely she'd be ousted? Surely that could trigger another election? People would go nuts if the Tories appear in disarray with another unelected PM shortly after a vanity GE supposed to deliver a mandate for Brexit whilst presumably delaying negotiations further. I don't think they could pull it off.
It wouldn't trigger an election just a leadership contest. In the same way we didn't see her elected as PM by the people we'd have a new moron shouting strong and stable.

Acorn

We vote for local mps and parties by extension. Not prime ministers. Cameron was gone a year after the election, could see a similar timescale happening here.

Tories have been historically ruthless with dispensing of weak or compromised leaders, they forced out their God Thatcher ffs.

Dynasty

Not amazing, not bad. So yeah, alright. He mostly refrained from attacking Theresa May's absence, though the others did plenty of that in the end.

No need to throw shade and get your hands dirty when others are doing it for you. I think it worked out well for Corbryn. Farron was amazing, he had the best opening and the best ending, he made my dad laugh quite a bit and he isnt even into politics.

I almost feel like this deserves a thread of it's own.

'Three minutes of nothing': Herald reporter reflects on PM encounter.
http://m.plymouthherald.co.uk/three...pm-encounter/story-30363961-detail/story.html

This local reporter met our strong and stable *bzzz* *bleep* leader and was overwhelmed by what a load of idiot double-speak it was that he wrote about his experience.

Two visits in six weeks to one of the country's most marginal constituencies – is she getting worried?

"I'm very clear that this is a crucial election for this country."

Plymouth is feeling the effects of military cuts. Will she guarantee to protect the city from further pain?

"I'm very clear that Plymouth has a proud record of connection with the armed forces."

How will your Brexit plan make Plymouth better off?

"I think there is a better future ahead for Plymouth and for the whole of the UK."

Will you promise to sort out our transport links?

"I'm very clear that connectivity is hugely important for Plymouth and the South West generally."

More at the link. Oh I forgot there's a video too.

She's got to be the worst PM we've ever had.

Audioboxer

I've criticised Labour a few times. They have played a large role in "wrecking the country" if we're going back election cycles. That remark about the poll which was wrongly worded, is more about how people are lining up with current Labour but deciding not to vote for their interests. Sometimes just because "Corbyn!".

Anyone else seen this anti-Corbyn Tory ad doing the rounds on YouTube? Keeps appearing before everything I watch! I feel like I might have postal voted for Hitler now.

https://youtu.be/x9Fqdsg6HkQ

"Comments are disabled for this video". Yeah, no wonder.

http://m.plymouthherald.co.uk/three...pm-encounter/story-30363961-detail/story.html

This local reporter met our strong and stable *bzzz* *bleep* leader and was overwhelmed by what a load of idiot double-speak it was that he wrote about his experience.

idk she seems very clear

Spaghetti

Even with polls this variable, the Conservatives have got to be feeling the heat at this point.

The problem is, anything they're throwing out doesn't seem to be doing much. If anything, most of it is boomeranging back at them.

Tories must be spending so much cash with the YT ads. I have seen 3 play on everything I watch.
Got to make sure those young voters coming out in their droves don't vote for Corbyn..

I hate these types of ads. It's like the crap they have on the TV in the US.

This is ultimately going to be a very odd result no matter what happens.

May is on 42 or 43%. The question is how close Labour actually are. 32%? 39%? How does it relate to their marginals?

And then behind them is what the real Lib Dem vote share is. What seats are they gaining? Which seats are actually at risk?

And then what the SNP will ultimately get and where their vote falls. They're going backwards, but by how much?

My belief is that the Yougov modelling strategy is sane, but it overstates Labour support by perhaps 4 or 5%.

It will also be interesting to see if the debate tonight changes anything. It seems to have got far more coverage and discussion, but it is very partisan. Of particular interest to me is Farron - no surprise. He delivered an strong and memorable performance tonight... But many are still going to be either untrustful, or driven away due to Brexit.

I feel this election will come down to a very small number of seats and turnout. No great swings from Red to Blue.

No positive vision at all and how you would do good things for all the people you represent, it's all "FUCK THE OTHER GUY HE'S WORSE!". Problem is this attack ad stuff will work because Corbyn is known to have that kind of past baggage where he supports awful things.

slider

it's time for the word clear to get mocked mercilessly cos i don't want to ever see it again

I'm convinced that Cameron popularised it. "He" suddenly "decided" to use it one day. And it's spread like a cancerous mantra since. I mean, let me be clear is pretty much strong and stable.

31st may polls.

Kantar -
CON 43%(+1),
LAB 33%(-1),
LDEM 11%(+2),
UKIP 4%(nc)

Panelbase - (done during the week of the bombing but withheld till now)
CON 48%,
LAB 33%,
LDEM 7%,
UKIP 4%

Ipsos Mori Scotland -
SNP 43%,
CON 25%,
LAB 25%,
LDEM 5%

it's good that they're not herding so we don't get a total fuck up like last election, but we'll still have half of the pollsters looking like right tarts this time around.

weekev

Banned
31st may polls.

Kantar -
CON 43%(+1),
LAB 33%(-1),
LDEM 11%(+2),
UKIP 4%(nc)

Panelbase - (done during the week of the bombing but withheld till now)
CON 48%,
LAB 33%,
LDEM 7%,
UKIP 4%

Ipsos Mori Scotland -
SNP 43%,
CON 25%,
LAB 25%,
LDEM 5%

it's good that they're not herding so we don't get a total fuck up like last election, but we'll still have half of the pollsters looking like right tarts this time around.
I imagine today's events will only see labour eating into that lead even more. Snap election could be about to backfire on May. Man I hope this ends up catastrophic for the Tories.

Mr Git

I'm convinced that Cameron popularised it. "He" suddenly "decided" to use it one day. And it's spread like a cancerous mantra since. I mean, let me be clear is pretty much strong and stable.

Cameron's empty lexical legacy is definitely "live within our means" which is still parroted around. Being clear and let me be clear about being clear about doing the right thing is definitely another though.

Watching Yes Minister right now and this happened right as I read this post

o9P9Jih.gif

weekev

Banned
So... if things don't go well for the Conservatives - does anybody think they might allude to someone "hacking" the election?
What would be in Russia's best interests? I'd imagine they see Corbyn as having a weak foreign policy which means easier to manipulate but also less likely to stoke the fires of foreign wars which lets them sell arms to both sides.

Spaghetti

What would be in Russia's best interests? I'd imagine they see Corbyn as having a weak foreign policy which means easier to manipulate but also less likely to stoke the fires of foreign wars which lets them sell arms to both sides.
I think in reality they're just sitting back and laughing, as they got what they wanted (Brexit) and there's little/no political will to properly turn back the clock on it (sorry Lib Dems).

But I still wouldn't put it past some very desperate Conservative spin doctors to try delegitimising a result (even if they will still fucking win in the end - but not by enough).

BadHand

Missed the debate due to time zone. Quick summary, was Corbyn alright?

In summary, never play monopoly with Amber Rudd.

And his proposals don’t add up. It’s as though he thinks it’s some sort of game, a game of Monopoly perhaps. Where you ask the Banker for the red money to buy the electrics, the green money to buy the railways, and the yellow money to buy the gas works

Spaghetti

Is there a total lack of talent in the Conservative party?

I can easily think of a few stalking horses in Labour who'd do well after replacing Corbyn, but the names that come to mind for the next Conservative leader after May all range between incompetent, heavily disliked, and "literally who?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom