• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anung

Un Rama
If the rumours about Amber Rudd's father dying on Monday are true (it's looking like they are) then that makes May's no showing look even more cold and cowardly.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Is there a total lack of talent in the Conservative party?

I can easily think of a few stalking horses in Labour who'd do well after replacing Corbyn, but the names that come to mind for the next Conservative leader after May all range between incompetent, heavily disliked, and "literally who?"

I think my post above answers that question...

excowboy

It wouldn't trigger an election just a leadership contest. In the same way we didn't see her elected as PM by the people we'd have a new moron shouting strong and stable.

We vote for local mps and parties by extension. Not prime ministers. Cameron was gone a year after the election, could see a similar timescale happening here.

These are some of the points I was trying to make. If the Tories try to oust May and elect a new leader, i.e. a new PM, most of the public will consider that outrageous having just been asked to vote for May.

Of course in reality only May's constituents ever vote for her, but the general perception is vote Tory to get PM May, and it is after all the significant message of her campaign.

And when would this happen? Any time in the next two years would be considered disastrous for Brexit and I think the public would punish them for internal party disputes at such a crucial time. If the majority is as low as some predictions I can see why some big Tory beasts would want her out, but I think even these morons would have enough sense to close ranks and get behind her.

Pandy

Someone made an infographic of who was interrupting who during the debate

In the first the size reflects how often each person was interrupted. In the second they represent how often they interrupted someone else. Finally, there is a table of each participant's targets for interruptions. Participants are on the left and targets along the top.

Interesting stuff, and if accurate goes some way to backing what a few of us were saying to Crab about the SNP/Angus Robertson.

I think Leanne Wood has the most interesting stats there though. She obviously went in with her targets and stuck to them like glue.

Acorn

Even with polls this variable, the Conservatives have got to be feeling the heat at this point.

The problem is, anything they're throwing out doesn't seem to be doing much. If anything, most of it is boomeranging back at them.
Lynton will be readying Fallon or Boris for another dead cat diversion.

Uzzy

s5ASdPR.png

We all miss happier days.

StayDead

Got to make sure those young voters coming out in their droves don't vote for Corbyn..

I hate these types of ads. It's like the crap they have on the TV in the US.

If anything with young people it has the opposite effect.

I don't know a single young person who likes being bombarded with ads.

--

Also, the story about Corbyn, Rudd and Farron going to Manchester was nice, but where the hell was our Prime minister? She should've been the first person there.

Mr. Sam

Boris has been on TV this morning refusing to comment on Trump.

Dat special relationship.

Can't say anything pro-Trump because it won't play with voters. Can't say anything anti-Trump because you're the foreign secretary. Quick, say "Wimbeldy-wambeldy!"

Maledict

If anything with young people it has the opposite effect.

I don't know a single young person who likes being bombarded with ads.

--

Also, the story about Corbyn, Rudd and Farron going to Manchester was nice, but where the hell was our Prime minister? She should've been the first person there.

No-one likes being bombarded with ads. Everyone says it turns them off.

Everyone still gets affected by them.

The notion that companies are spending literally billions upon billions upon billions of money on advertising that doesn't work always mystifies me. We're sadly quite easy to manipulate as a species.

kmag

Can't say anything pro-Trump because it won't play with voters. Can't say anything anti-Trump because you're the foreign secretary. Quick, say "Wimbeldy-wambeldy!"

The Foreign Secretary doesn't have an issue saying negative things about other allies. Other allies have been quick to criticise the US's decision over climate change. The UK is in almost an uniquely subservient position when it comes to the US, especially now we've cut ourselves adrift from the EU's sphere of influence. The EU looks to be getting on with forging new partnerships with Japan and China to mitigate the Trump instability.

On climate I think it's because the Tories are going to use Brexit to pull out out the Paris accords at some point citing the economic impact and the US decision.

King_Moc

Banned
No-one likes being bombarded with ads. Everyone says it turns them off.

Everyone still gets affected by them.

The notion that companies are spending literally billions upon billions upon billions of money on advertising that doesn't work always mystifies me. We're sadly quite easy to manipulate as a species.

Adverts absolutely work, and anyone that claims to be immune to them or that they don't work is just unaware of how their own subconscious works.

The Foreign Secretary doesn't have an issue saying negative things about other allies. Other allies have been quick to criticise the US's decision over climate change. The UK is in almost an uniquely subservient position when it comes to the US, especially now we've cut ourselves adrift from the EU's sphere of influence. The EU looks to be getting on with forging new partnerships with Japan and China to mitigate the Trump instability.

On climate I think it's because the Tories are going to use Brexit to pull out out the Paris accords at some point citing the economic impact and the US decision.

This highlights how quickly, in the grand scheme of things, a country can go from being on the right side of history to the wrong side.

Um... So I got a second postal vote. What do I do?

Bin it?

I'm guessing these things have some sort of tracking info on them? I don't think you want the possibility of being flagged up as committing some sort of electoral fraud by submitting more than one vote.

And, y'know.... democracy and stuff.

Theonik

I'm guessing these things have some sort of tracking info on them? I don't think you want the possibility of being flagged up as committing some sort of electoral fraud by submitting more than one vote.
They wouldn't actually. Gotta keep voting secret and whatnot. But yes. Don't be knob and destroy the extra vote.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
|OT| Bake Off is on BBC 2 next

does have a nice ring to it.

Meadows

Banned
I don't think the Conservatives are going to win a majority here. I think that at this point a Labour majority is almost as likely as a Conservative improvement on their current numbers.

Momentum (heh) has shifted now and it looks all one way traffic.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think the Conservatives are going to win a majority here. I think that at this point a Labour majority is almost as likely as a Conservative improvement on their current numbers.

Not you too, Meadows! Don't let the hope get you! Fight it! I'm not losing another one!

Nah. There are plenty of people more convinced of Corbyn's useleness than they are of May's.

PJV3

Not you too, Meadows! Don't let the hope get you! Fight it! I'm not losing another one!

I just can't see Jeremy Corbyn in number 10, a very slim Tory majority/minority government I can. I'm not sure i really want Labour taking over with the coming shitstorm anyway.

A hung parliament would be a convenient way of spreading blame for softening Brexit.

based off what, one YouGov poll.

Don't do this to yourself. The shy Tory voters are still out there in their droves. May could probably drop an N word and it still wouldn't make a difference. I would love nothing more than to eat crow but regardless of the poll's narrowing i can still only see one outcome.

liquidtmd

Banned
The rhetoric being spun by some of the Right wing press about the debate last night, specifically that the audience was made up of Super Mega Hyper Fighting 2 Turbo Corbyn supporters and that the MODERATOR was Pro Corbyn...it's just like...

They are 100% banking on their readers not having watched it.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I just can't see Jeremy Corbyn in number 10, a very slim Tory majority/minority government I can. I'm not sure i really want Labour taking over with the coming shitstorm anyway.

I'm not even sure I disagree. I want the Conservatives to own Brexit and the consequences of Brexit. A hung parliament, with a Conservative minority, massive loss of face for May, and a rebuilt Labour Party is like my dream result at this point.

Not that it will happen.

The rhetoric being spun by some of the Right wing press about the debate last night, specifically that the audience was made up of Super Mega Hyper Fighting 2 Turbo Corbyn supporters and that the MODERATOR was Pro Corbyn...it's just like...

They are 100% banking on their readers not having watched it.

Most people I know only watch highlights or read about the debate, so doing this makes​ sense.

They know a lot of people won't have watched it and will use the newspapers to find out how it went.

PJV3

I'm not even sure I disagree. I want the Conservatives to own Brexit and the consequences of Brexit. A hung parliament, with a Conservative minority, massive loss of face for May, and a rebuilt Labour Party is like my dream result at this point.

Not that it will happen.

Yep, 5 years of Conservative fireworks and limited ability to screw people over will do me nicely.

Xun

Most people I know only watch highlights or read about the debate, so doing this makes​ sense.

They know a lot of people won't have watched it and will use the newspapers to find out how it went.
Pretty much.

In other words we're fucked.

This country will not change unfortunately and I realised that back in 2015.

About 3 million viewers, with 7 million over on BGT. So not brilliant. Still, all of these hitting 3 million may have little bits of creeping effect.

I'm still not holding out hope that it'll be a minority govt, I refuse to believe. Because if I'm wrong, I'll be *happy* and wrong

Theonik

About 3 million viewers, with 7 million over on BGT. So not brilliant. Still, all of these hitting 3 million may have little bits of creeping effect.

I'm still not holding out hope that it'll be a minority govt, I refuse to believe. Because if I'm wrong, I'll be *happy* and wrong
3m households is a lot tbh.

Oh yeah, it's good, not amazing. Definitely down on the 2015 seven-way and the 2010 three-way. Quick google suggests 7 and 9 million peaks respectively.

And with an audience of 9m for the 2010 one, you get a bit more of a reminder how Clegg-mania 'happened', even if it was a flash in the pan.

i agree it is but who are these undecideds? I've only met one swing voter in my whole life, that's my brother in law. Voted Tory in the last election and he's voting labour in this one. I just don't think that debate would be enough to sway the minds of undecided voters.

I think most people probably already know who they'll vote for. The election will be decided by the turnout rather than people changing their minds.

You also have to think that if someone is engaged enough to actually watch the debate then they are engaged enough to talk about the results with others.

The Conservatives came off terribly to anyone but the no hope brainwashed Tory voters who wouldn't ever change their mind.

I could easily see the narrative of May being chicken and the debate actually not being as bad as the papers make out being one that spreads.

How this changes things for the election result? Maybe nothing but the more unstable we can make May and the Tories look the better this narrative of 'Strong and Stable' is shown for the soundbite that it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom