• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audioboxer

I doubt it. Scottish labour is pro union, so I don't really see how a leaflet delivered in Scotland expressing that view is aimed at English voters.

This drums up anti-Labour sentiment in the rUK

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...y-corbyn-second-nicola-sturgeon-a7624681.html

Hours later

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ies-backing-second-scottish-independence-vote

and now

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...es-jeremy-corbyn-split-refuses-rule-allowing/

Scotland going independent doesn't just impact on the Scottish people. As much as some don't give a flying fuck about finances/ability for Scotland to be independent, the UK as the world knows it will cease to exist and damn, the flag might need to change. Point being even if you have zero care for the people in Scotland us leaving fundamentally changes the whole of the UK. For everyone.

So while the leaflet is handed out up here, Scottish Labour are on damage control for how Corbyn has been painted in headlines across the UK. I still think my food for thought for Scottish Labour is reasonable as well. Did they not pay attention to what happened in 2015 in Scotland? At this point I think Corbyn would do a better job of handling Scottish Labour than Dugdale can. She's a poor imitation of Davidson and will not be able to chase the strong Unionist vote like she envisions. A "soft" Labour leader is needed in Scotland to try and claw back a chunk of that SNP support. Howwwwwever, the Tories across the UK would throw cannon balls at that. "Labour are in the SNPs pockets! Labour are chasing pro-independence voters! Labour support Scottish Independence! SECURITY THREAT!".

In a weeks time watch as Labour gains back 1~2 seats while the Tories manage 3/4x that.... in Scotland.

Its only anecdotal but I have seen a few people at my work who have lost faith in May the more she talks on TV. She quite obviously comes accross as strong only when sticking to her practised lines. The second she is forced to deviate she crumbles. Hopefully this is a common realisation accross the country.... but I doubt it.

Sordid

Was handed a local Labour leaflet this morning. Seems like my local MP enjoys that "Tory like" approach to telling Nicola to get back to her day job!

ZpDN1Rc.jpg

Scottish Labour yet again trying to chase hard Tories, whereas they'd have more chance trying to court soft-SNP voters.

They must be using a standard template for them all, that looks like the exact same wording and layout as the one I got through my door here in Aberdeenshire. It isn't going to get people going like the "only RUTH DAVIDSON'S CANDIDATE can stop the SNP" Tory leaflet I got through my door the other day, they know how to get people properly worked up :(

Audioboxer

They must be using a standard template for them all, that looks like the exact same wording and layout as the one I got through my door here in Aberdeenshire. It isn't going to get people going like the "only RUTH DAVIDSON'S CANDIDATE can stop the SNP" Tory leaflet I got through my door the other day, they know how to get people properly worked up :(

Precisely. In terms of playing a tactical game, you do have to give credit to Davidson. I won't mention Murdo Fraser and credit in the same sentence though, he's a total space rocket.

Scottish Labour just cannot outdo Davidson and her camp. Even the Orange Order is probably going to convert some of those Labour votes. The current perception is if you want to oppose Scottish independence, vote Conservative. Scottish Labour are stuck in limbo right now.

As I said they're "afraid" to try and court soft-SNP voters due to the political smearing that goes on. Even although many of these voters voted Labour in years gone by. Then they just seem Tory-lite when they try to use Tory-language to attack the SNP. Which like it or not does piss off some soft-SNP voters as it just reminds them of the Tories.

Ultimately, I wouldn't like to be Scottish Labour. People say Corbyn/his party are a mess, well, take a seat as Scottish Labour is beyond a mess. Still, Scottish people voting Conservative instead of Labour -_-

Its only anecdotal but I have seen a few people at my work who have lost faith in May the more she talks on TV. She quite obviously comes accross as strong only when sticking to her practised lines. The second she is forced to deviate she crumbles. Hopefully this is a common realisation accross the country.... but I doubt it.

The only Tory voter I know has also posted something similar to this on Facebook recently, lamenting that "she's no Dave" and seems to be "as useless as Corbyn".

So, I don't think its a viewpoint that is necessarily isolated. I think there has been a realisation that the supposed new iron lady is more aluminium. For someone who has been in front line politics for seemingly an eternity, her campaign has been nothing but amateur hour. CCHQ and the veteran MPs must be wondering how she's managed to fool so many people for so long.

Theonik

CCHQ and the veteran MPs must be wondering how she's managed to fool so many people for so long.
Because Cameron should have sacked her and many of his front bench ages ago but did not. And because the media has been pretty soft on the Conservatives overall.
The moment these people hit adversity they self-combust. It's probably one of the things that Corbyn would have over May in a potential EU negotiation. He's much more battle tested.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
May speech now on TV looks like the fifth Tory rebranding in as many weeks.

This time they've got a yellow font so you know they're friendly and positive.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Upcoming speech by May is now stating that this election is about Brexit.

They're desperate.

May has been programmed to mention only 2 themes from here on.

Strong and stable.

Brexit

Strong and stable.

Brexit.

And offer no detail on anything, including Brexit.

She wants to bore us into forgetting her terrible performance so far. Maybot has been rebooted but they haven't got time to install a personality in there so they've deleted any programming that has the potential to fail. So expect nothing other than this for the next week and certainly no mention of the manifesto.

Because Cameron should have sacked her and many of his front bench ages ago but did not.

Definitely. Its amazing how many people 'coasted' along in that cabinet, but I guess Cameron was not in a position to rock the boat whilst in coalition or with his slender majority from 2015.

Thinking about this the other day made me realise how brutal Blair was in comparison. He ruddy loved chopping and changing (other than his neighbour).

Empty

it's bad that we are piling up votes in london where we have so many seats there already, no?

though there are some good mp's that will survive as a result which is nice

Just checking that you all see the London there? It isnt for the whole country..
I did see that so it isnt me hoping its representative of the whole country but thats still a massive swing that needs to be looked at.

I think its especially important since we had on the last page discussion about how many swing voters can there be left. Well according to this there are still quite a few.

Theonik

Definitely. Its amazing how many people 'coasted' along in that cabinet, but I guess Cameron was not in a position to rock the boat whilst in coalition or with his slender majority from 2015.

Thinking about this the other day made me realise how brutal Blair was in comparison. He ruddy loved chopping and changing (other than his neighbour).
Well. For Cameron it was more an ideological thing as well. He felt those reshuffles breed instability and intentionally avoided doing them despite poor performance. These people were never supposed to slide into PMship.

I'm not saying it's not impressive but it's certainly not a megaton.
Let's flip City of London and Westminster.

Hazzuh

Conservative war chest swells with ten times more in donations than Labour

The Conservatives raked in a whopping £3.4m more than Labour in the third week of the general election campaign, official figures revealed today.

Theresa May’s party took £3.7m in large donations between 17 and 23 May – including £1m from a single donor named John Gore.

Labour, meanwhile, raised £330,000 – ten times less than its main opponent – almost all of which came from trade unions, primarily Unite.

The Conservatives have been handed £6.5m in donations since the beginning of May, compared with £3.36m for Labour.

Separate figures released last week show donations to the Tories for the first three months of the year were also double those of Labour – at £5.5m to £2.6m.

DBOyOQPXcAA-bml.jpg

[/I]

https://www.politicshome.com/news/u.../news/86370/conservative-war-chest-swells-ten

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
On that poll, the Conservatives would lose 4 seats in London - 2 to Labour, 2 to the Lib Dems.

Orbis

On that poll, the Conservatives would lose 4 seats in London - 2 to Labour, 2 to the Lib Dems.
Interesting. Things are unpredictable enough at the moment that 4 seats could either be very significant or not at all. Depends what happens elsewhere.

I will be happy if Tories lose seats.

Pretty much all my friends are voting this election. None of them voted last time. All of them are voting with the intention "whatever will block conservatives in my area". I think this sentiment is echoed over much of London.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, sorry, I realise I forgot to account for Richmond. The Conservatives would still gain Richmond on those figures. So net -3 Con +1 Lib + 2 Lab.

Empty

May speech now on TV looks like the fifth Tory rebranding in as many weeks.

This time they've got a yellow font so you know they're friendly and positive.

ahahahaha

DBO_1aEXgAAZWz2.jpg

they have nothing lmao. all those millions and that's their new idea.

even though they should still win a decent majority the schadenfreude of watching the worst tory campaign ever unravel in front of us has been a complete joy

TrutaS

I'm afraid this new reaffirming of brexit is going to do well for them. I hope it has the opposite effect, but I'm scared. I think I'll be nervous about this everyday until the election.

King_Moc

Banned
ahahahaha

DBO_1aEXgAAZWz2.jpg

they have nothing lmao. all those millions and that's their new idea.

even though they should still win a decent majority the schadenfreude of watching the worst tory campaign ever unravel in front of us has been a complete joy

Wtf is this bullshit? She literally said she'd walk away without a deal if she had to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom