• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orbis

I can't believe nuclear weapons and the fucking IRA are electoral issues. After the absurdity of the Brexit debates last year and beyond, and now this, I've never felt more out of touch with UK politics or the general public.

Surely no first use of the weapon is a key component of what makes MAD work?

No one wants to use it first because of what happens after.

MAD isn't the core of nuclear defence policy - nuclear defence is really ruled by a system of guaranteed escalation. If you invade Ukraine, I will respond with X. If you respond to X with escalation, I shall escalate. If you threaten with nukes, I will not hesitate to deploy nukes.

Nuclear defence policy relies 100% on being prepared to nuke someone as a first strike - otherwise you have the question of "would you let Washington be nuked to save Paris?" which means your opponent is really just trying to figure out what they can get away with, not work peacefully with you.

I think it's called something like Guaranteed Escalation, but I studied nuclear defence policy about six years ago so I might be wrong. :)

RangerX

Banned
This is being terribly managed. Interesting issues are being talked about for a tiny period and then someone just railroads the whole conversation with total nonsense. It's often the same people over and over too. Zero hours contracts? No fuck that, some moron in the back row with an incredibly simplistic view on the IRA (as well as North Korea and foreign aid) wants to take over!

Yeah this is incredibly poor moderating from Dimbleby.

I can't believe nuclear weapons and the fucking IRA are electoral issues. After the absurdity of the Brexit debates last year and beyond, and now this, I've never felt more out of touch with UK politics or the general public.

Lots of stupid people read the Daily Mail, unfortunately.

The British public are fucking stupid.

And yet, they're doing quite a number on him.

It frustrates me that Corbyn can get shut down by basic questions. He has nuanced views as anyone, but he's unable to boil them into simple yes and no answers when they're sorely needed to shut a line of thinking down.

PKrockin

American here just tuning in, looks like the audience is more interested in getting a sick CHECKMATE LIBERAL burn than asking a good question
not that our debates are better

MAD isn't the core of nuclear defence policy - nuclear defence is really ruled by a system of guaranteed escalation. If you invade Ukraine, I will respond with X. If you respond to X with escalation, I shall escalate. If you threaten with nukes, I will not hesitate to deploy nukes.

Nuclear defence policy relies 100% on being prepared to nuke someone as a first strike - otherwise you have the question of "would you let Washington be nuked to save Paris?" which means your opponent is really just trying to figure out what they can get away with, not work peacefully with you.

I think it's called something like Guaranteed Escalation, but I studied nuclear defence policy about six years ago so I might be wrong. :)

Thank you Huw!

I might read up a bit more on it - know nothing (as is probably evident, haha).

Juicy Bob

He came out of the gate super smooth.

The nukes bollocks left him visibly affected and he was a bit muted for a while.

The got his momentum back at the end though.

I certainly would much prefer to live in Corbyn's Britain.

Syder

At the very least, Corbyn came across as a human being answering questions.

As opposed to MayBot 3000, who looked thoroughly uncomfortable many times during the dodging of questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom