• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

Entry level salary with a university degree obviously is higher than entry level salary with an apprenticeship but yeah depending on your negotiating skills you can get quite a bit more than others.
I guess it depends. For the German position the developers were unionised as well so pay wasn't so dependent on negotiation. UK everything goes obviously. Now, I've seen people get hired without degrees or with unrelated degrees all the time. Experience is the name of the game here though I suppose with no degree and experience breaking in must be challenging. I had both going in so my situation is different.

Audioboxer

Great post, I will have to try and remember it for the next time I get into a conversation about these issues :)

A lot of it seems to be about perceptions. At times you can understand that Person A feels aggrieved that they are asked to contribute more than Person B. Where the conversation usually falls apart is that is how in-depth many get. Surface level perception of "unfairness". I should never have to contribute more than someone else. Whereas there are a lot of genuine reasons as to why societies end up asking those that are waaaaay ahead in the yearly incomes to help out a bit more.

It gets perceived to be a "Robin hood tax" and internalised as some sort of punishment for "working hard". It's neither, although I can see why "Robin hood tax" is used. Hence why you get the attitudes of I've worked hard for this money, I'm going to get my accountant getting me some of that tax avoidance and I'm going to vote for the party that protects my wealth. Therefore, okay, it's somewhat logical why some minds jump to fuck these poor people messing up my life and income. If these poor people didn't exist they wouldn't be coming after my money.... but then, that's where that small rant above comes in. Society is always going to need people at different levels of social/employment status to be there to do jobs and work that no one wants to do. Even with free education, not everyone is cut out for 4+ years of intensive study.

It's an "imperfect system" we have to try and keep a whole society functioning. Those at the top often do get relied on to ease things for everyone else. We can honestly debate about levels of taxation, as no, it's not fair to just have some sort of neverending levels of taxation for the wealthy. However, if you'd like to live in a functioning society and not just a private island, there's a good chance no matter where you go in the Western world if you're earning 6 figures a year you're going to be asked to contribute a bit more than someone on 4/5. Likewise, even as you come down in the numbers if you're above average things will start to escalate the further you get away from the average in regards to your tax levels.

Called that last night as well as 98% of the country. The only zero hour contract this chap is on is his Dad occasionally asking for help with the multi-million-pound business. "Preston you can drive the Porsche for the day on Monday if you can lend a hand on Saturday". "Jeremy I'm on a zero hour contract and it gives me the security to be a student". K bro. Get back to us when it's a Sports Direct zero hour contract.

I'd often rather people target politicians as it's part of their job to handle public criticism and feedback. However, when you go on national TV and be so disingenuous to try and fool a nation and influence a public election it's harder to have sympathy for you receiving criticism. Of course, I'd say to most people leave the kid alone (he doesn't deserve to be called a man) in terms of direct contact. Retweet some hypocrisy and have a despairing laugh at it, but don't go sending direct abuse on social media.

If anyone wants to leave the kid alone, you're better of trolling The Nuclear War Nine https://twitter.com/JaneyGodley/status/870952562119323648

CCS

Banned
Also, some of the staff at the Bank of England (admittedly only a very small number, primarily support services) are being balloted over strike action. Good thing too, they're woefully underpaid.

twofoldd

Bruh...although I earn a nice salary after graduating in 2012...it's like £300/£400 that comes out of my salary every month lol it does hurt on top of how much tax I gotta pay. It just all hurts bro T_T.

So you're earning at least £60k 5 years after graduating. Would you be earning that much if you didn't get a degree? I doubt it. Seems like a low cost compared to how much extra earnings your degree will bring in over your lifetime.

Kwame120

Banned
So you're earning at least £60k 5 years after graduating. Would you be earning that much if you didn't get a degree? I doubt it. Seems like a low cost compared to how much extra earnings your degree will bring in over your lifetime.
Then surely he'd be paying more tax as a result of earning a higher amount? The principle is that higher education, like further, primary and secondary education, should be free to not only encourage people to study, but to allow ease of access to all. The tuition fees largely pay themselves off as graduates are more likely to earn higher amounts, so in a sense it also serves the country - an educated country leads to a richer country, which benefits all.

TimmmV

Depends on the state and company you work in. Entry salary usually is between 30-45k, maybe a little lower in east germany.

That's pretty low tbh. I was offered 50k straight out of uni. (that's in Germany, had lived there before didn't want to go there again at the time though)
UK tech industry is woefully underpaid. Though if you actually know the recruitment market you should know there is a lot of flexibility in pay and working conditions and you are expected to haggle. Though the companies that make you do that tend to be shit in my experience too. (by forcing people to negotiate you reward people not on their skill but their ability to negotiate pay, so your best talent ends up getting poached.)

Damn, I'm on about £28k after 3ish years experience (in Manchester)

I'm half German so have a German citizenship, and have been increasingly thinking of emigrating there since Brexit. That salary is just making it more tempting lol. The only problem is that my German is pretty bad, and only getting worse as I get older

Thanks though! Thats definitely something to keep in mind

kmag

What irks me about tuition fees is why does any student actually care about them?

It's not proper debt, you'll never have money and then have it taken away from you, it's deducted before it even goes into your bank... Not only that but you have to earn an amount you probably won't be earning before you're able to save a little anyway.

I can understand how "fee" is scary, but if you actually think about the way the debt is used it just isn't proper debt, it doesn't hit your credit score and it gets taken away after x years.

The only argument I can come up with against this is that it can scare people from going but then all they have to do is research the way you pay it and what it actually does, surely?

Won't getting rid of them close universities and thus lose jobs?

I voted labour

You'd be happy with a say 60% income tax, after all you never see the money, it doesn't hit your bank account under PAYE.

I earn around £70k which is normal in my field. It's not that I have an issue with paying it off, because I do believe in tuition fees (to a certain extent). It's just once you consider the actual amount i'm paying off per month AND the amount of tax, if you look at the aggregated figure it does make achieving certain goals difficult i.e. that extra £400 on tuition repayments I could put into my savings for a house etc.

Then surely he'd be paying more tax as a result of earning a higher amount? The principle is that higher education, like further, primary and secondary education, should be free to not only encourage people to study, but to allow ease of access to all. The tuition fees largely pay themselves off as graduates are more likely to earn higher amounts, so in a sense it also serves the country - an educated country leads to a richer country, which benefits all.

Correct. But the way the tuition system is now is pretty shit and has been for a long time.

I think tuition fees should be based on performance and there needs to be a floor and a cap. E.g.
Supposing a three-year degree. The first year of university everyone pays a flat amount, say £5000, each year, depending on your performance of exams etc you will pay £0 (supposing you get a 1st classification in your second year); £2500 if a 2:1; and £5000 for anything with 2:2 or less. Similar for your third year. The maximum amount you will spend on University will be £15k (with the lowest being £5k).
-Edit- just to give an illustration:
First year:
Tuition fee: £5000 entry fee.
Grade: 1st

Second year:
Tuition fee: £0 (because I obtained a 1st in my first year)
Grade 2:1

Third year
Tuition fee: £2500 (since I got a 2:1 in my second year).
Overall grade: 1st

Overall tuition fee payment = £5000 + 0 + 2500 = £7500

Which I think is okay given how much you pay is in YOUR hands.

Also there needs to be a bit of redistribution on where funding needs to go...I have an economics degree but I don't think its as important as medicine or some of the other sciences. I would much prefer some of my tuition fees get redistributed to those fields.

You still get a lot of people going to University and just not being productive and wasting time (they seem to forget they are paying for it...!). I think my proposal brings about a much better competitive atmosphere that really puts the emphasis on the student and how eager they want to be successful, Not just professionally but academically.

Audioboxer

I earn around £70k which is normal in my field. It's not that I have an issue with paying it off, because I do believe in tuition fees (to a certain extent). It's just once you consider the actual amount i'm paying off per month AND the amount of tax, if you look at the aggregated figure it does make achieving certain goals difficult i.e. that extra £400 on tuition repayments I could put into my savings for a house etc.

Correct. But the way the tuition system is now is pretty shit and has been for a long time.

I think tuition fees should be based on performance and there needs to be a floor and a cap. E.g.
Supposing a three-year degree. The first year of university everyone pays a flat amount, say £5000, each year, depending on your performance of exams etc you will pay £0 (supposing you get a 1st classification in your second year); £2500 if a 2:1; and £5000 for anything with 2:2 or less. Similar for your third year. The maximum amount you will spend on University will be £15k (with the lowest being £5k). Which I think is okay given how much you pay is in YOUR hands.

Also there needs to be a bit of redistribution on where funding needs to go...I have an economics degree but I don't think its as important as medicine or some of the other sciences. I would much prefer some of my tuition fees get redistributed to those fields.

You still get a lot of people going to University and just not being productive and wasting time (they seem to forget they are paying for it...!). I think my proposal brings about a much better competitive atmosphere that really puts the emphasis on the student and how eager they want to be successful, Not just professionally but academically.

That sounds like some sort of Tory bootstraps tax. Instead of saying the poor people just don't work hard enough, cut any benefits they might get, it's the students who just don't work hard enough deserve to pay more for their tuition. Dude, seriously? Have you really thought this through? The reward for being capable of getting a higher rated degree is usually a better start in a career, or like in my field I basically need a 1:1 or 1:2 to stand a chance of getting a doctorate.

How about we just consider the fact no matter how hard everyone works some people aren't as gifted as others and will get a lower grade not because they're "lol mate lets hit up the pub instead of studying", but their capacities and abilities might be maxing out. It doesn't mean they are any less deserving of their degree, certainly not to the tune of you've to pay more because you're dumber than me.

I'm going to guess you got a 1:1 or 1:2 and it now rolls off the tongue "ask the people getting that 2:1 or 2:2 to pay more because they were time wasters". I appreciate you've articulated your idea, but I don't think I could fundamentally disagree anymore with trying to say people should pay more based on their grades. That's even worse than the current system in the rUK.

Supposing a three-year degree. The first year of university everyone pays a flat amount, say £5000, each year, depending on your performance of exams etc you will pay £0 (supposing you get a 1st classification in your second year); £2500 if a 2:1; and £5000 for anything with 2:2 or less. Similar for your third year. The maximum amount you will spend on University will be £15k (with the lowest being £5k).
-Edit- just to give an illustration:
First year:
Tuition fee: £5000 entry fee.
Grade: 1st

Second year:
Tuition fee: £0 (because I obtained a 1st in my first year)
Grade 2:1

Third year
Tuition fee: £2500 (since I got a 2:1 in my second year).
Overall grade: 1st

Overall tuition fee payment = £5000 + 0 + 2500 = £7500

Which I think is okay given how much you pay is in YOUR hands.

Punish the people who perform slightly worse with more debt than the people who have a better chance of going on to higher paid jobs. Great plan!

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
The IFS published a study on student loans in 2014 which you can find here:

https://www.ifs.org.uk/comms/r94.pdf

If you really want to know your stuff about them I'd recommend reading it but for me the headline was that even with ideal wage growth (which we don't currently have) the student loan system would probably only save the government 5% of what they would have spent under the old system, and even then the uncertainties around actually reclaiming the money (ie graduates who have left the country) mean the whole thing costs even more than was expected.

So it seems like long term it'll cost the same to have it as to not, which definitely makes me think we shouldn't have it at all.

That sounds like some sort of Tory bootstraps tax. Instead of saying the poor people just don't work hard enough, cut any benefits they might get, it's the students who just don't work hard enough deserve to pay more for their tuition. Dude, seriously? Have you really thought this through? The reward for being capable of getting a higher rated degree is usually a better start in a career, or like in my field I basically need a 1:1 or 1:2 to stand a chance of getting a doctorate.

How about we just consider the fact no matter how hard everyone works some people aren't as gifted as others and will get a lower grade not because they're "lol mate lets hit up the pub instead of studying", but their capacities and abilities might be maxing out.

I'm going to guess you got a 1:1 or 1:2 and it now rolls off the tongue "ask the people getting that 2:1 or 2:2 to pay more because they were time wasters". I appreciate you've articulated your idea, but I don't think I could fundamentally disagree anymore with trying to say people should pay more based on their grades.

I couldn't be more Tory lol (labour supporter given my family and background). Bro, I was the only east Londoner in my course. My class was full of posh kids (grammar, private schools, rich foreign students) it was quite strange the differences in our behaviour to study! Anyway, I did get a 2:1, I was so gutted I didn't get a 1st but I found out later after doing my second year exams that I have dyslexia. So in my final year I got a 1st and that made me really happy (but overall I could only achieve a 2:1). My point is this, University is one of those things, generally speaking, if you believe in yourself and what you can achieve you WILL achieve it!

That whole capacity and abilities maxing out is utter bullshit. There is no limit in life apart from yourself.

Although, I love competition, indirect or direct, I think it does bring out a bit more performance which is what I think we need in University. And I think bringing that about with the tuition fees works.

Punish the people who perform slightly worse with more debt than the people who have a better chance of going on to higher paid jobs. Great plan!
It is a tough world. But my figures are just examples...and deffo needs to be calibrated lol. On a serious note, Universities do need funding.

Kwame120

Banned

Supposing a three-year degree. The first year of university everyone pays a flat amount, say £5000, each year, depending on your performance of exams etc you will pay £0 (supposing you get a 1st classification in your second year); £2500 if a 2:1; and £5000 for anything with 2:2 or less. Similar for your third year. The maximum amount you will spend on University will be £15k (with the lowest being £5k). Which I think is okay given how much you pay is in YOUR hands.
Tying cost to performance is very dangerous. It means that the odds are stacked - if you get a good degree, then you have no debt and a high likelihood of getting a job, whereas if you don't perform as well, then you have debt and a lower likelihood of getting a job - and the interest on the debt will stack up as you search for a job.
Just a guess, but I assume that that's what already happens. The money goes to the university, so they likely redistribute the funding across the departments according to need and worth, as opposed to each department getting its pot depending on its number of students.
A lack of productivity and drive can be avoided by investing in alternative types of training, such as apprenticeships, so that not going to university becomes a more viable option than everything requiring a degree. (Steps towards this have been taken in recent years.) Sure, your system brings a more competitive atmosphere, but universities should be places of study and learning, not financially focused. That's why I see it in the same way as all the other levels of education, it's simply allowing us to have educated citizens - university just becomes an opt out stage for those who'd rather follow a different path.

Audioboxer

I couldn't be more Tory lol. Bro, I was the only east Londoner in my course. My class was full of posh kids (grammar, private schools, rich foreign students) it was quite strange the differences in our behaviour to study! Anyway, I did get a 2:1, I was so gutted I didn't get a 1st but I found out later after doing my second year exams that I have dyslexia. So in my final year I got a 1st and that made me really happy (but overall I could only achieve a 2:1). My point is this, University is one of those things, generally speaking, if you believe in yourself and what you can achieve you WILL achieve it!

That whole capacity and abilities maxing out is utter bullshit. There is no limit in life apart from yourself.

Although, I love competition, indirect or direct, I think it does bring out a bit more performance which is what I think we need in University. And I think bringing that about with the tuition fees works.

I wasn't necessarily trying to pin you down on who you do support, just saying it sounded like an idea that would be right out of a Tory manifesto.

I would heavily contest that second point. It may be true for the well-being and mental stability of most of our kids and population it is best to encourage, instil confidence in and try to show how study and work can turn into learning and ability. However, as imperfect as IQ testing is, it is a fact of life due to BOTH biological and environmental/social stimuli some people are at different stages of ability than others. Can bridges be lessened, sure, but the potential ability for everyone isn't necessarily limitless. Nor is it the same, we aren't clones.

Not everyone can be a doctor and surgeon no matter if you put the whole population into such a degree and told them "you can do it! work hard!". It's not unfair to honestly assess how humanity is, while at the same time yes we do try to be compassionate and encourage everyone to work hard and try and achieve what they want. Being honest doesn't have to mean being cruel.

Even with debating about that aside, those that are capable of getting a degree in a field through hard work aren't all going to come out with 1:1. You just said you came out with 2:1, so what is it for you? Did you just not work hard enough? Are you a slacker? Well, you told me you have dyslexia, so there is a biological reason that can have an impact on your studies and life that is no fault of your own. You should be paying more because of that? Cmon man, that is not a civilised way for a society to go. I'm saying that FOR your benefit as I think it would be ludicrous to ask you yourself to pay more because you got a 2:1.

Faddy

Banned
Even with debating about that aside, those that are capable of getting a degree in a field through hard work aren't all going to come out with 1:1. You just said you came out with 2:1, so what is it for you? Did you just not work hard enough? Are you a slacker? Well, you told me you have dyslexia, so there is a biological reason that can have an impact on your studies and life that is no fault of your own. You should be paying more because of that? Cmon man, that is not a civilised way for a society to go. I'm saying that FOR your benefit as I think it would be ludicrous to ask you yourself to pay more because you got a 2:1.

I don't think I did work hard enough in my first and partly my second year. I tried the usual 'master the exam papers' rather than the theory which is how the exams actually were (like in GCSE and A-LEVELs, as long as you did enough past papers you could get smashing grades lol...Uni exams weren't like that).

Obviously I was at a disadvantage and it's sad that I knew quite late on, but it is what it is. I know what i'm signing up for when i'm going to Uni. I'm not looking for excuses.

I do think we need to change the way some students behave when they are at Uni and we are in a world where money matters a lot. Whether you like it or not, that's how it is.
Like I said, there needs to be a cap and a floor and there needs to be SOMETHING that controls that - the only thing I could think of is how you perform in your exams since that is measurable.

Faddy

Banned
this looks like an image you'd see on the news

v9mB48Am.jpg

Seen a few people on Twitter calling them the Nuclear Nine.

Apparently they got 30% of the questions to Jeremy Corbyn. Bunch of old twats.

Well there you have it

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-tory-tax-policy-rise-income-tax-national-insurance-higher-earners-general-election-2017-a7770581.html

No Tax Rises for the rich while not giving the same guarantee for increases at lower earners.

Add in a National Insurance rise and once again the Tories will try (and fail*) to balance the books on the backs of the poor.

*income inequality means the poorest 80% don't have enough money
Saw this myself, absolutely and ridiculously expected.

But let's see how the press cover this and if it has an effect.

Why are there people on earth who think it's a good idea to have people just out of their teens owe ~£50,000 to the government, when they can barely manage to buy their own homes or have the security to start families?

v9mB48Am.jpg

Seen a few people on Twitter calling them the Nuclear Nine.

Apparently they got 30% of the questions to Jeremy Corbyn. Bunch of old twats.

This is why Brexit and the tories happens.

People are just stupid fucking cunts.

Audioboxer

I don't think I did work hard enough in my first and partly my second year. I tried the usual 'master the exam papers' rather than the theory which is how the exams actually were (like in GCSE and A-LEVELs, as long as you did enough past papers you could get smashing grades lol...Uni exams weren't like that).

Obviously I was at a disadvantage and it's sad that I knew quite late on, but it is what it is. I know what i'm signing up for when i'm going to Uni. I'm not looking for excuses.

I do think we need to change the way some students behave when they are at Uni and we are in a world where money matters a lot. Whether you like it or not, that's how it is.
Like I said, there needs to be a cap and a floor and there needs to be SOMETHING that controls that - the only thing I could think of is how you perform in your exams since that is measurable.

A couple of things about students I'd ask you to think about

a) The average age

Most who go to study in full-time education are still relatively young. Still growing and massively lacking in life experience. Does that often manifest into people wanting to have fun, go out with friends and so on? Sure. However, that's often a part of growing in confidence/social skills and learning about yourself. That is like it or not a part of Uni for many, and while it should be a balancing act, some do need a bit of time to try and work that balance out.

b) Those that underachieve already face a consequence

Coming on from above, if your lifestyle and time spent going through maturity affect your studies and in turn your potential, that is your consequence. You end up potentially getting a lower grade. Employers might skip over you, or you might have to take up a position with lesser pay than someone else in your course who achieved a higher grade. That is the consequence. It shouldn't be that'll be another 5 grand please.

c) Complete time wasters are a minority

Like benefit fraud, which yes, does happen, it's a tyranny of a minority. A civilised society cannot take a nuke to attempting to combat the minorities who abuse so the whole damn population has to suffer too. This is the Tory excuse to lambaste the poor and disabled. Did you know people abuse benefits? That means we're going to make everyone suffer. Nah, it shouldn't be like that. In your scenario, you're making people like yourself with learning disabilities, or those that are maxing their potential ability suffer because you're obsessing over a small minority of students who will take the piss. It's not the way to go about it. No matter where you look in life there is abusers, chancers and cheats. Even up the top with the rich, you see money laundering, tax avoidance and other schemes. It happens everywhere, and while trying to chase after the abusers you always have to be wary of becoming an abuser yourself and hurting those undeserving. In terms of education, point b, you already face a consequence for not meeting your potential.

Theonik

Charging people tuition based on their performance is pretty stupid not least of all because people who get better degrees get better pay out of university and are therefore better equipped to repay the debt. So you are actually losing the little money the tuition fees DO recover which is basically a punishment for the top graduates. It is pointless policy. Graduate pay is already a good incentive for people to perform in university. If that doesn't work nothing will.

CCS

Banned
Even if not abolishing them, there's a very strong argument for lowering tuition fees from their current level on the basis that it doesn't really work. Only a third of students (I believe that's the correct figure) will ever pay off their loan, with the government effectively eating the loss on the remainder. Given that graduates now pay effectively 9pp more in income tax over £21,000, which is a pretty hefty amount, there's not really a viable way to get that money back from graduates directly. The only real option is whether the subsidy from the government is implicit as it is now or explicit.

CCS

Banned
FWIW, from speaking to my fellow young people I think turnout COULD (not will, but could) be much higher among young people, particularly university students and graduates than usual. The tuition fees pledge has got a lot of people on side, and I think a lot of recent graduates have bought into it as well in the expectation of debt relief.

That is the only problem with it as a policy: were Labour to somehow end up leading the next government, they'd have to write off the debt of anyone who paid £9000 a year or I think the backlash would be monumental. A loooot of people I've spoken to believe that Labour are going to write off their existing debt.

Beefy

Just got a Tories flyer through my door:

Provide a strong and stable leadership for our country.

Get the best Brexit deal possible

Always stand up for you and your family

Well all them 3 points are lies

nOoblet16

Most young people won't vote cause "they couldn't be bothered" or are "busy" or "have important things to do" or "have revision to do"

No matter the fact that in the same day they would procrastinate for hours between doing whatever it is that they want to do.

Celebrities, musicians with a young fanbase should encourage their fans to vote.

Theonik

Most young people won't vote cause "they couldn't be bothered" or are "busy" or "have important things to do" or "have revision to do"

No matter the fact that in the same day they would procrastinate for hours between doing whatever it is that they want to do.
Not to play devil's advocate here but perhaps people on crazy 0hr contracts or working minimum wage jobs to get by might not have that much leeway to walk out and vote on a working day.

The article does also say "Nearly two-thirds of young people say that they are certain to vote in Thursday’s General Election", I don't know if that's much different from how they typically answer that question though.

nOoblet16

Not to play devil's advocate here but perhaps people on crazy 0hr contracts or working minimum wage jobs to get by might not have that much leeway to walk out and vote on a working day.
If they want to vote then they will manage to find time to vote. Especially if they don't like zero hour contracts and want to vote Labour. That's really the long and short of it.

Voting stays open for like 15 hours...I doubt anyone would work 15 hours a day even on a zero hour contract on an election day nonetheless, a day they would have had known about for months in advance.

Regardless those people on zero hour contract would make a small percentage of the 60% or so young voters who don't won't. What about the rest?

Audioboxer

Woohoo, Brown is back out in Scotland

fVko7jf.png

Shame that barking up the "Unionists have to vote Labour" tree is what is causing this

w295XV7.png

It doesn't appear we're seeing a dramatic rise in Unionists, rather, they're abandoning Labour and swamping to the Tories. Says a lot for them mind you that they would abandon Labour for current day Tories. Hardly any respect for Scottish Tories given everything this country has fought to have/preserve and now you'd abandon one of the most progressive Labour manifestos to vote for this Tory manifesto.

That local election swing from Labour to Conservative.

AAaqQOp.png

Well played Scottish Labour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom