• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faddy

Banned
Versus the 11% pay raise for MPs. It's a fucking travesty.

The MP raise is far less in total cost but if the principle is supposed to be to not overrule independent pay bodies then the nurses should have gotten their rise. If the govt can consider other factors they damn well shouldn't have gone through with giving themselves an 11% raise.

nOoblet16

Was Survation the most accurate poll for 2015 elections and EU referendum?

If so then I can't deal with this...this hope ! Only for it to get shatters because the people telling pollsters who they'll vote decided to not vote.

Edit: Isn't the Survation poll just for Westminster ?

Par Score

Can anyone post what the general consensus was with pollsters this time in 2015?

The weekend before polling day, the average was basically 34% each. It then swung towards the Tories over the next few days.

Was Survation the most accurate poll for 2015 elections and EU referendum?

Survation's final call was by far the most accurate in 2010, but they missed the EU ref like many other pollsters (though not as badly as some).

Hazzuh

YouGov is out

DBbGrKyWAAQA_cQ.jpg

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It will be fascinating to see which of these polls are accurate. I still expect the Daily Mail readership to give the Tories a majority.

Coffinhal

I can't deal with these polls.

Argg

haha same happened during the last French campaign : a leftist candidate gained a fantastic momentum the last month and was tied with 3 other candidates around 20% for an access to the 2nd round

From what I've read from French pollsters the Ipsos Mori poll is pretty solid

Good leftist platform+well done campaign+small parties reduced to margins

Problem is that turnout for Conservatives is very high and solid (old people I believe)

DBU5z8aXkAEkqWi.jpg:large

Theonik

So... These Tory's are still going to win in all likelihood. But it looks like May's gamble is going to only result in a small increase in seats. So now what? I reckon she'll be gone within a year, two maximum. And then?
Rees-Mogg as PM.

scotcheggz

I hate the tories and think may is an unsympathetic mong, her apparent disregard for others troubles is palpable. But.. I've had a fit for work test thing before under a labour government and I was equally treated like shit then too. At the time I had agoraphobia and was basically told too bad, get to the interview or get a job. When I was there, sitting in the room like a nervous wreck, the questions had zero relevance to my condition and made me feel like a dickhead. Despite everyone including my doctor, therapist and dole officer dude recommending taking some time to get sorted and go on the sick for a period, I was basically given a clean bill of health due to questions like "can you put your trousers on yourself?"

I really hope things have moved on since then in regards to mental health and I hope the corbs will address it if he ever did manage to swing this, at least he seems like he's more believable, but when I saw that woman on qt I could sympathise with her plight and I have very little trust in any of them to sort it out. I really really hope this swing to the left for labour will stick about and we'll have a more compassionate government or opposition for a while, for the many not the few etc. Corbyn, you got a lot of weight on your shoulders from voters like me.

Well count me wrong, YouGov with a 4 point Tory lead.

Summary of tonight's polls:
•Survation: Con +1
•YouGov: Con +4
•Opinium: Con +6
•ORB: Con +9
•ICM: Con +11
•ComRes: Con +12

Source

Basically who knoowwwwws

nOoblet16

I hate the tories and think may is an unsympathetic mong, her apparent disregard for others troubles is palpable. But.. I've had a fit for work test thing before under a labour government and I was equally treated like shit then too. At the time I had agroohobia and was basically told too bad, get to the interview or get a job. When I was there, sitting in the room like a nervous wreck, the questions had zero relevance to my condition and made me feel like a dickhead. Despite everyone including my doctor, therapist and dole officer dude recommending taking some time to get sorted and go on the sick for a period, I was basically given a clean bill of health due to questions like "can you put your trousers on yourself?"

I really hope things have moved on since then in regards to mental health and I hope the corbs will address it if he ever did manage to swing this, at least he seems like he's more believable, but when I saw that woman on qt I could sympathise with her plight and I have very little trust in any of them to sort it out. I really really hope this swing to the left for labour will stick about and we'll have a more compassionate government or opposition for a while, for the many not the few etc. Corbyn, you got a lot of weight on your shoulders from voters like me.
Believe in him !!

6xnxyJ3.jpg

the tory leads in the recent polls range 1,4,5,6,9,11 and 12. I think i'd rather the polls herded tbh ._.

I'd snap your your hands off for the first two of those and would take 3 and 4.

Faddy

Banned
I hate the tories and think may is an unsympathetic mong, her apparent disregard for others troubles is palpable. But.. I've had a fit for work test thing before under a labour government and I was equally treated like shit then too. At the time I had agoraphobia and was basically told too bad, get to the interview or get a job. When I was there, sitting in the room like a nervous wreck, the questions had zero relevance to my condition and made me feel like a dickhead. Despite everyone including my doctor, therapist and dole officer dude recommending taking some time to get sorted and go on the sick for a period, I was basically given a clean bill of health due to questions like "can you put your trousers on yourself?"

I think the issue has really come into the mainstream with this election. In the past people might have felt like some unfortunate people just fell through the cracks but in recent years it has become clear that there is a massive chasm in the system especially with mental health.

Charities working hard against stigma of mental health issues have helped people speak out and get the message across that we need to do more. Every single audience event I have watched has brought up mental health issues when it used to be in the background and not to be talked about. People being open and honest with each other will go a long way to reducing some anxiety, depression and stress conditions.

It is going to be a massive challenge to get it right and whatever Labour are promising won't be enough but it will be a start and a change of course away from the heartless, callous system we have now.

gun_haver

It's frustrating to see Labour get this much closer but still have it not be enough. The Conservatives are losing, and there just isn't enough time. They've been exposed this election to a public that assumed they were the most competent, if not the most genuine, but it would probably take another few weeks to really sink in that they aren't even the simple lie that made themselves out to be.

When the election was called I was just disgusted with how things had twisted here. I was pretty checked out. Now I'm paying attention again, compulsively so.

It could end up being a night of some mild relief if the Tories do in fact lose or gain no ground, or it could live up to the Red Wedding title of this topic more accurately because at first, there wasn't any hope it could go any other way.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I wonder what kind of result would lead to Corbyn resigning. At this point I think he has done enough to survive anything other than a huge blowout.

nOoblet16

I wonder what kind of result would lead to Corbyn resigning. At this point I think he has done enough to survive anything other than a huge blowout.
The sad reality is that if he loses, no matter how close, he is getting back stabbed. The knives are already being sharpened as we speak.

Labour will probably end up with more seats than they did under Miliband but they'll want to replace Corbyn with someone more to the right regardless.

Mr. Sam

They literally cannot get rid of Corbyn unless he fucks up so monumentally that the membership loses faith. Before the election, it looked like that might happen. Now it looks likely that he'll at least grow Labour's vote share, which means there's no getting rid of him and only a fool would try (which obviously didn't stop them before). His opponents will have no choice but to hunker down.

scotcheggz

I think the issue has really come into the mainstream with this election. In the past people might have felt like some unfortunate people just fell through the cracks but in recent years it has become clear that there is a massive chasm in the system especially with mental health.

Charities working hard against stigma of mental health issues have helped people speak out and get the message across that we need to do more. Every single audience event I have watched has brought up mental health issues when it used to be in the background and not to be talked about. People being open and honest with each other will go a long way to reducing some anxiety, depression and stress conditions.

It is going to be a massive challenge to get it right and whatever Labour are promising won't be enough but it will be a start and a change of course away from the heartless, callous system we have now.

Absolutely agree. Ive been much better for many years now but this episode has always stuck with me and I'm really hopeful for the situation in regards to the way it's viewed in normal society. You get proper middle aged 'blokes' now admitting that sometimes people have difficulties including them, and it's okay. This in itself is amazing.

I do support corbyn definitely, I'm in Brighton pavilion so will be voting green but hope for labour to blow up expectations. Just thought it was worth pointing out that people my age (35) still remember the Blair legacy of new labour, work capability assesments, the new deal and then Iraq on top of that etc. And it's still a bit raw. As you say, an awful lot of people fell through the cracks and were left to sort things out for themselves. I don't have experience of it under the tories but anecdotally I've seen evidence that it's only worsened. A friend of mine recently ended up officially homeless due to mental health problems and unability to work for goodness sake.

Gotta believe in him I guess. I hope he does it, I really do and I hope if he does, he lives up to his promises. I can say he's not given me reason to disbelieve him yet and if anyone is going to help those that do fall through its more likely to be Jezza than the fucking tory robot.

Not sure what I'm saying and mostly just rambling. Maybe it's just the nervous excitement of seeing a truly left of centre opposition going for it lol.

It's frustrating to see Labour get this much closer but still have it not be enough. The Conservatives are losing, and there just isn't enough time. They've been exposed this election to a public that assumed they were the most competent, if not the most genuine, but it would probably take another few weeks to really sink in that they aren't even the simple lie that made themselves out to be.

When the election was called I was just disgusted with how things had twisted here. I was pretty checked out. Now I'm paying attention again, compulsively so.

It could end up being a night of some mild relief if the Tories do in fact lose or gain no ground, or it could live up to the Red Wedding title of this topic more accurately because at first, there wasn't any hope it could go any other way.

You never know with a dynamic like this. The polls have moved fast in a span of a few days.

scotcheggz

Also, it's not the best barometer by any means but don't really see it mentioned much on Gaf, oddschecker shows a tory majority drifting quite a bit and no overall majority shortening it it's place.

Hype.

Chinner

Banned
Just a friendly reminder for everyone to keep their expectations in check.

Look, we can all want nice things and I'm not suggesting you should give up. Just bare in mind the general mood of public and the polls, otherwise it's going to sting like fuck if (when) the tories win on 9th June.

Syder

SNP open to backing Labour government 'issue-by-issue'
The SNP could support a Labour government "on an issue-by-issue basis" in the event of a hung parliament, Nicola Sturgeon has said. Both parties have ruled out a formal coalition deal should the election on 8 June not produce a clear winner but Ms Sturgeon said she would be open to forming a "progressive alternative to a Conservative government".

Scottish Labour said Jeremy Corbyn had "absolutely 100% refuted any prospect" of any deal or pact with the SNP. Ms Sturgeon said she was "sceptical" that such a scenario should arise in any case, with the Tories still ahead in the polls. The Conservatives have made the prospect of a Labour-SNP "coalition of chaos" a central theme of their campaign, prompting Labour to say it would seek to form a minority government rather than a coalition if it is the largest party on 9 June.

Rodelero

Just in case we become an echo chamber, here's some top rated comments from a recent BBC article on taxation!

BBC Comments Section said:
Ah yes, the top 1% already pay 27.7% of our taxes so let's get them to pay even more under Labour!

Oh wait, what do you mean they've moved/invested elsewhere because they got fed up of being attacked for being wealthy?

Who's going to pay that 27.7% now they've gone? Yes, it's you!

A Labour government explained in 100 words.

So, under the Conservatives, the top 1% earners have 12% of income but pay 28% of all income tax. The tax free income threshold has risen from £6700 (under Labour) to £11500, on the way to £12500; and Labour "groupies" still say that the Conservatives are penalising the poor and giving to the rich. I think that is what is now called "Alternative Facts"

"If you work hard and are successful, we hate you. And, the more successful you are, the more we hate you." - Labour Party Manifesto 2017

And still millions of people will vote for the terrorist's "friend"

So many wanting more, and yet complain when they have to pay for it.. where did they think the money comes from to fund things...........

By the way Labour means MORE money coming out of your pocket, be under no illusion.

I'm in the top threshold for tax and get totally hammered, and then hammered again on my annual bonus. If labour get in (unlikely) then I will be moving heaven and earth to use legal tax avoidance schemes and looking to use overseas bases with a lower tax take, meaning the treasury lose out. I'm at the limit of how much I am willing to pay.

Its only 1.2% of income tax payers, but don't they contribute nearly 30% of the tax to the exchequer? Under the terrorist lover, these people would be taxed more, then leave or find ways around paying, which will leave the burden of paying for Corbyns pipe dreams falling on the rest of us by tax rises & LVT.

Has been shown repeatedly. Increase tax rates and tax take falls. Reduce tax rates and tax take goes up. Fairness is a major factor.

I agree. If we don't have people earning at the top end then we wouldn't have tax going in to pay for services that we all use. Just because someone earns more doesn't mean that they don't contribute more and they do. So we had better be careful what we wish for. Hammer higher earners too much and we will have less tax going towards our much stretched services!

Just a friendly reminder for everyone to keep their expectations in check.

Look, we can all want nice things and I'm not suggesting you should give up. Just bare in mind the general mood of public and the polls, otherwise it's going to sting like fuck if (when) the tories win on 9th June.

This cannot be stressed enough. Don't do this to yourselves, people.

SHEF

The IFS said those earning £80k-£100k would be asked to pay less than £8 a week extra in taxation under Corbyn.

Theonik

The IFS said those earning £80k-£100k would be asked to pay less than £8 a week extra in taxation under Corbyn.
People are dumb. They also don't understand how progressive taxation works. The concept of 'rich people leaving' is also quite bizarre. It's the government's job to close loopholes and make sure they are paying. And if they just vanished (lol) then someone else would replace them. People seem to think that part of the country will float off into space or something.

Dougald

If these rich, tax hating people could easily up and leave, why haven't they all moved to Singapore already?

Frankly if they don't want to pay their fair share they can sod off. I'm sure there won't be much shortage of well-educated people jumping at the chance for a pay rise. It's not like we're talking about genius Silicon Valley programmers here, most of these moaners are just middle management

all this progress will be moot if this rumoured london bridge attack is at all bad. for fuck's sake. an attack 2 or 3 week away from the vote can come and go and not affect the discourse too much. if this is as feared, the whole conversation will be about national security until the day of the vote, and will be in people's mind when they go in the booth.

feel like going on a bit of a tirade but won't until we get more info about the attacker.

RiggyRob

all this progress will be moot if this rumoured london bridge attack is at all bad. for fuck's sake. an attack 2 or 3 week away from the vote can come and go and not affect the discourse too much. if this is as feared, the whole conversation will be about national security until the day of the vote, and will be in people's mind when they go in the booth.

feel like going on a bit of a tirade but won't until we get more info about the attacker.

Are you joking? An attack would always affect the discourse on defence and foreign policy, and this is 3 attacks in 3 months now.

It could go either way for the election - either people unite under May for 'being difficult' and 'strong' in the fact of adversity, they vote for UKIP for extreme measures on immigration, or they lose faith in the current government's ability to protect citizens and look for alternatives.

As always, I hope for the best case of no loss of life, but I think we can guess that isn't the case.

Chinner

Banned

It had no effect with the Manchester attack.The real question is if the desperate Tories will use this to either make cheap political points (which could backfire) or delay the election.

Its probably inappropriate to speculate at the moment and should wait for more facts to come out.

I saw a discussion on Twitter about the polls. The Survation one got criticised because it seemed to have an improbably high voter engagement - something like 72% of the public said they'd been exposed to last night's debate somehow, which is improbable.

My hunch is that the closer polls are linked to polling people with higher levels of engagement, or not weighing accurately to reflect a biased sample.

It had no effect with the Manchester attack.

The real question is if the desperate Tories will use this to either make cheap political points (which could backfire) or delay the election.

It's presumably whether or not we go back up to the highest terror level, isn't it? If it goes up, it'd be impossible to campaign and unfair to do it. If it doesn't, it's a 'we carry on'...

Just found out my mum isn't voting. Retired and lives comfortably in France after being a public sector worker most of her life working with disabled children and later autistic children specifically. Struggled to raise me as a single mother and won't have a state pension for another 7 years because of the Tories.

Tells me the vote is "down to you uni students". All she had to do was fill out a damn form and vote by proxy.

Didn't think my own mum would ever turn into a 'fuck you, got mine' type but here we go. I tried to argue her vote goes to helping those disabled people she worked so hard to help for years, and those that are in what was her situation and much worse today. She told me she "doesn't owe the country anything"

I feel disgusted, honestly. Sorry I just had to get it out somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom