• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you joking? An attack would always affect the discourse on defence and foreign policy, and this is 3 attacks in 3 months now.

It could go either way for the election - either people unite under May for 'being difficult' and 'strong' in the fact of adversity, they vote for UKIP for extreme measures on immigration, or they lose faith in the current government's ability to protect citizens and look for alternatives.

As always, I hope for the best case of no loss of life, but I think we can guess that isn't the case.

things were as back to 'normal' as they could have possibly been. I don't see that for this one though, unless it turns out there are no fatalities. it's one too many.

RiggyRob

things were as back to 'normal' as they could have possibly been. I don't see that for this one though, unless it turns out there are no fatalities. it's one too many.

Agreed, it's going to play on people's minds now.

For the election it could swing in multiple directions though, it's hard to tell what the impact will ultimately be.

TeddyBoy

It had no effect with the Manchester attack.The real question is if the desperate Tories will use this to either make cheap political points (which could backfire) or delay the election.

Its probably inappropriate to speculate at the moment and should wait for more facts to come out.

I'm pretty sure Crabb mentioned that it isn't possible to delay the election since parliament is dissolved.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
What if a party leader co-signed letter is sent to the Queen, asking for the delay? She could give permission.

She can't, actually. Parliament allows the monarch to deliver the Royal Writ but not to amend it. Once parliament has been dissolved and the Writ given, the election is fixed.

Yup, I do not think Corbyn has a serious problem with us leaving the EU - he is cautious in wording his Brexit policy to ward off the hard Remainers deserting the party.

And yeah, if you are so anti-Brexit it will decide how you vote, you should be voting Lib Dem, unless the Green in your area has a more likely chance of winning (I think that is only Brighton P and Bristol West).

RiggyRob

And what about Corbyn then?

Corbyn wants out of the EU too, but half the party doesn't and saying you want to Remain is a vote-losing strategy currently. It'd need a real push from the Lib Dems to get it through though.

This is the 1% chance of Brexit not happening compared to the 0% in all other cases.

Not unless Labour rolled back on their manifesto commitment to leave the EU and the Single Market.

Compromises on both sides required then. It's the most likely scenario of Brexit not happening, but it's still not happening.

Your choice for PM is between someone who will crash out of the EU without a deal or someone who will take absolutely any deal the EU throw at us.

Crappy? I am a Lib Dem, I guarantee I feel crappier.

scotcheggz

Your choice for PM is between someone who will crash out of the EU without a deal or someone who will take absolutely any deal the EU throw at us.

As a lib dem, I'd imagine you're used to that feeling by now?!

well brexit was a failure from the beginning and anybody with general knowledge about economics and politics should have known that. dont blame the PMs that are in a shitty situation, blame the UK people

has he ever given a genuine reason for one to think that of him?

It's the natural consequence of refusing to walk away.

You are implying BTW that I think that is a bad thing. It is not. Actually committing to getting a trade deal that does not nuke our economy is VASTLY preferable.

Barry Gardiner on QT this week was talking far more sense than I have seen anybody committed to Brexit. His point was basically "this is a damage limitation exercise". He is not bought in to the wonderful land of milk and honey that lies over the Brexit rainbow.

I am not a fan of Corbyn in Number 10 but I would be vastly happier with Labour negotiating Brexit.

It's the natural consequence of refusing to walk away.

You are implying BTW that I think that is a bad thing. It is not. Actually committing to getting a trade deal that does not nuke our economy is VASTLY preferable.

Barry Gardiner on QT this week was talking far more sense than I have seen anybody committed to Brexit. His point was basically "this is a damage limitation exercise". He is not bought in to the wonderful land of milk and honey that lies over the Brexit rainbow.

I am not a fan of Corbyn in Number 10 but I would be vastly happier with Labour negotiating Brexit.

nah, i was mostly curious if he had explicitly said anything of the sort. If he completely ruled out walking away (which i believe game theory would label as a somewhat silly move), your logic on the topic is, in my eyes, sound.

hohoXD123

It's funny how Labour is being portrayed as the intolerant anti-semitic party when the Tories are the ones targeting and absorbing UKIP's voters.

nah, i was mostly curious if he had explicitly said anything of the sort. If he completely ruled out walking away (which i believe game theory would label as a somewhat silly move), your logic on the topic is, in my eyes, sound.

Check Labour's manifesto, but I think the policy is that we'd go back to Europe to re-negotiate if the deal was not good enough.

Con policy: Negotiate a deal with Europe. If the deal is "bad" - nobody knows what defines bad - then we will crash out to WTO rules.
Lab policy: Negotiate a deal with Europe. The deal goes to a vote in parliament. If the deal fails to pass parliament, the negotiations renew until a deal is settled.
LD policy: Negotiate a deal with Europe, but it must include us remaining in the EFTA/EEC and the CU. Put the deal to a referendum, where either the public takes the deal or the UK remains in the EU.
SNP policy: We want an independence referendum.
PC policy: Trafod fargen dda i Gymru. Dylai San Steffan yn cymryd lle unrhyw arian yr UE a gollwyd.

Ashes

Banned
Of course not, but to do this in the middle of an election campaign is to disrupt the political process.

Yeah seems like we're getting loads of these incidents right now..

Alternatively, it might be that London/UK has a lot more traction in the media than some of these European ones..

Par Score

Unless the security services come up with something concrete, I don't think I'm ready to ascribe that level of sophistication to a bunch of cunts with a van and some knives.

We're dealing with dickheads, not the CIA.

So there's zero chance of the election being postponed?
There is literally no legal mechanism to alter the date once parliament is dissolved.

Perhaps the next parliament should look into creating some kind of contingency for this sort of scenario. The only event that is covered is the death of the monarch (polling is postponed for a fortnight).

TheCrackInTime

Neo Member
She can't, actually. Parliament allows the monarch to deliver the Royal Writ but not to amend it. Once parliament has been dissolved and the Writ given, the election is fixed.

Couldn't she issue new writs though? Back when the snap election was announced, I'm sure someone on the BBC mentioned the new writ would overrule the one issued for the Manchester by-election.

Empty

There is literally no legal mechanism to alter the date once parliament is dissolved.

Perhaps the next parliament should look into creating some kind of contingency for this sort of scenario. The only event that is covered is the death of the monarch (polling is postponed for a fortnight).

what?! like if corbyn got assassinated tomorrow they wouldn't be able to delay the election?

Pandy

what?! like if corbyn got assassinated tomorrow they wouldn't be able to delay the election?
Nobody stops this train...

...and for good reason. If we'd delayed the election by a week to account for the Manchester attack, we'd now have to push back the election another week or two to account for this, encouraging another attack in the interim.

Changing the timetable is letting the terrorists win, irrespective of their intentions. You have to trust people to take the same attitude and vote 'as normal', even if that might not be the case.

"Sorry, we cannot be held accountable for the massive casualties. Big Jezz is a lunatic".

Also

39aSop6.png

I mean aye, it's a shitty bit of vandalism, but right on Twitter to go "fuck the left!/fuck protestors!" is probably going to get you meme'd.

It was probably a Lib Dem voter like Huw anyway.

My constituency. I have an alibi of course.
I find it funny that Alec's election leaflet boasts of his attempts to make dementia services more accessible by creating a "dementia directory". It's about a third of the leaflet (other 2 thirds are brexit and pictures of him trying to look like a family guy that you'd have a drink with). Methinks he must be fuming over May's dementia tax. A case of, "Too late to change 'em now guv, they've already been printed!"

He'll still win the seat though. Even if he has went door to door with a dick on his face.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!

If there was a way to actually delay the election it would encourage people to try to do it.

I'm only guessing and I doubt we'll ever find out for sure but it wouldn't be surprised if its a kind of a catch 22 situation where the more vigilant the police get the earlier the attacks get triggered, and in the run up to the election I'm sure they are extremely proactive in trying to break up cells and act on intelligence.

(Not saying the police shouldn't be vigilant just that it's part of the plan to die, so if they think they might be close to getting caught it will speed up their timetable)

RenditMan

Banned
well brexit was a failure from the beginning and anybody with general knowledge about economics and politics should have known that. dont blame the PMs that are in a shitty situation, blame the UK people

Anyone with a knowledge of economics can see the problem with the EU system.

Germany for instance, there's no way she'd be able to keep a competitively priced currency without the likes of Greece and other struggling economies being around to pull it down.

Inversely, the likes of Greece have to struggle with a currency that's too highly valued for their current situation with no way of correcting it.

Federalism and a central budget is the only way to solve this to some extent, but the zone is a long way from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom