• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJV3

Agreed. I've said before power has a way of smoothing over political disagreements, and twenty seats gained would translate into a mostly rebellion proof majority, at least over minor disagreements. Don't think anything would happen until after the Brexit talks anyway.

Imagine someone trying to oust her and claim a mandate to negotiate with the EU, you're right, outside of a hung parliament she's staying where she is.

excowboy

Can't listen to that as at work now but heard her on both Sky News and 5Live earlier. She got a very rough ride but managed it OK. Maybe Piers' lack of a soul allowed him to push it a bit further..

CCS

Banned
You know May has fucked up when all of the comments on the FT of all places are pro-Corbyn/anti-May. Good grief.

WhatNXt

Props to Morgan. Wasn't taking any non answers. I hate it when politicians dodge reality.. She can say they're all about powers powers powers (I find that a bit worrying personally) but when he's clearly pursuing an acknowledgement of something we all know, there are fewer armed officers and fewer officers generally, she would do better to end the line of questioning by admitting it and moving on to whatever positive message for future policy she has. But she doesn't have one. Not one.

Likewise happy to see funding of wahabbi extremism brought up. People are starting to understand more about that particular sect.

Either Yougov is right and the landscape political landscape of Britain (or, really, England) has gone bananas, Britain Elects is right and we're in for a very minor realignment which questions the point of the election, or the Electoral Calculus/Ashcroft predictions are right and everyone other than Quiche is going to be miserable.

I guess folks have to hope Yougov is right.

Hey I'm probably going to be a bit miserable too. Compare my prediction in the early part of this thread with the results on Friday. This election was all about crushing saboteurs, and on the polling numbers we've got it looks like they're going to remain thoroughly uncrushed.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
It would be very Britain 2017 for us to waste 6 weeks and millions of pounds on an election that changes nothing and makes everyone angry. Just saying.

It would be very Britain 2017 for us to waste 6 weeks and millions of pounds on an election that changes nothing and makes everyone angry. Just saying.

Whoa whoa whoa, that money won't have been "wasted". I believe I've previously mentioned the Quite Excellent Garden Furniture we bought with poll-clerking money from the Metro Mayor elections. The GE will probably pay for a barbecue :p

mo60

Hey I'm probably going to be a bit miserable too. Compare my prediction in the early part of this thread with the results on Friday. This election was all about crushing saboteurs, and on the polling numbers we've got it looks like they're going to remain thoroughly uncrushed.

I'm amazed my prediction is going to end up being kinda close to the actual results. My prediction is going to be like 20-30 seats to high in the end.

Never thought I'd see the day that I truly enjoyed listening to Piers Morgan. If it wasn't so terrifying, the deflections about Wahhabism and police cuts and pushing on the evils of the internet would be hilarious.

Holy Shit that interview is damming
Was it not funny hearing her deflect the blame on Corbin and the tories and not giving a straight answer to any question?

I was watching a program last night on channel 4 (comedy political satire, can't remember the name of the show) and someone said that the "strong and stable" mantra means we are now being governed by a garden bench. Quite and apt analogy i thought

weekev

Banned
I caught him ripping the culture secretary to shreds this morning. When he say May had blood on her hands I thought the poor woman was going to cry.
A lamb to the slaughter as the PM and Home Sec hide away.
Just heard that interview. Piers Morgan is a cunt plain and simple, but he did a brilliant job of actually having salient facts to hand and giving the culture secretary an absolute grilling. Fair play, I still can't stand the guy but that really was excellent journalism.

Mr. Sam

Whoa whoa whoa, that money won't have been "wasted". I believe I've previously mentioned the Quite Excellent Garden Furniture we bought with poll-clerking money from the Metro Mayor elections. The GE will probably pay for a barbecue :p

Hypothetically speaking, how does one go about becoming a poll clerk?

Got a letter from the conservatives candidate for my area begging people to vote lib dem so that labour don't win the Sheffield Hallam seat.

That's... Interesting

Hypothetically speaking, how does one go about becoming a poll clerk?

Just fill in an application form and send it to your local council. Vacancies willl obviously vary from place to place but generally I think most councils are crying out for more people. If there are no poll clerk places you can also get work on the count. You also get paid for training (no idea what this entails since it looks like you just sit around all day).

Too late now to get in on this GE, but whack your name down and they'll probably contact you about the inevitable second GE later this year.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!

Fair play to you I don't think I could do that job, the urge to question the voting intentions of everyone coming in would drive me mad. I saw an old lady dig through a pile of papers to find a copy of the Daily Mail the other day and it took everything I had not to tut very loudly.

(No problem with people being on the right politically but don't read that bollocks)

PowderedToast

Just heard that interview. Piers Morgan is a cunt plain and simple, but he did a brilliant job of actually having salient facts to hand and giving the culture secretary an absolute grilling. Fair play, I still can't stand the guy but that really was excellent journalism.
the enemy of my enemy is my friend? even if he has entirely different goals and is a complete bellend? perhaps

Holy fuck at Bradley's last words in that interview.

THAT JEREMY GUY WON'T EVEN SHOOT TO KILL OR PUSH A BUTTON TO BOMB US ALL TO HELL THE BIG FUCKING JESSIE!

How do people not see through this shit?

the enemy of my enemy is my friend? even if he has entirely different goals and is a complete bellend? perhaps

Piers got a lot of respect from me when he did the gun control stuff on CNN every single night.

He's not what I'd call a nice chap, but when he has a point I agree on he pushes it well.

Fair play to you I don't think I could do that job, the urge to question the voting intentions of everyone coming in would drive me mad. I saw an old lady dig through a pile of papers to find a copy of the Daily Mail the other day and it took everything I had not to tut very loudly.

(No problem with people being on the right politically but don't read that bollocks)

I've never done it, this is the missus. Both my parents do it too.

Hasney

giphy.gif

Yougov seem to think it's leaning towards Labour. Seems a possibility anyway.

You would have thought that if Cleggy didn't lose it in 2015, he would be bullet proof. Unless Labours MP there/Corbyn is actually making big in-roads.

The Conservatives' lead over Labour has been cut to a single point, according to one new opinion poll, amid a range of different predictions by pollsters five days ahead of the General Election.

Survation for The Mail on Sunday put the two main parties virtually neck and neck, with the Tories on 40 per cent and Labour on 39 per cent.

With less than a week to polling day, the poll shows a six point fall in support for the Tories since their last poll two weeks ago, while Labour are up five points

The Liberal Democrats are unchanged on eight per cent, while Ukip are up one on five per cent, according to the poll.

But the findings contrast sharply with a ComRes poll the same day, which suggest the Conservatives still have a healthy 12 point advantage over Labour.

ComRes has the Tories up one on 47 per cent and Labour also up one on 35 per cent, with the Lib Dems on eight per cent and Ukip on four per cent — both unchanged from last week.

Opinium for The Observer also has the Tories ahead, but with the gap between the two main parties narrowing to just six points, putting the Conservatives on 43 per cent - down two points on a week ago - while Labour is up two on 37 per cent.

Both Opinium and ComRes suggest a fall in Theresa May's personal approval rating. Opinium has it down from plus 11 per cent last week to plus six per cent, while Jeremy Corbyn's has held relatively steady on minus 12 per cent.

ComRes has Ms May's personal rating turn negative for the first time since becoming Prime Minister last year at minus three per cent — a 12 point drop since they last tested it in February.

In contrast, Mr Corbyn's rating has risen by 18 points although he continues to lag well behind the Prime Minister on minus 15 per cent.

The latest YouGov prediction model meanwhile shows the Tories winning 308 seats and Labour 261, putting them on track to fall 18 seats short of a majority.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...lead-one-point-general-election-a7771526.html

100% coming to be ComRes that's right </3

Mr. Sam

A reminder that a) where a party gets its votes is just as important, if not more, than how many it gets and b) Labour were ahead in several polls going into the last general election (i.e. the one in which the Tories got an outright majority).

Edit:

Just fill in an application form and send it to your local council. Vacancies willl obviously vary from place to place but generally I think most councils are crying out for more people. If there are no poll clerk places you can also get work on the count. You also get paid for training (no idea what this entails since it looks like you just sit around all day).

Too late now to get in on this GE, but whack your name down and they'll probably contact you about the inevitable second GE later this year.

Cheers, ears.

Holy fuck at Bradley's last words in that interview.

THAT JEREMY GUY WON'T EVEN SHOOT TO KILL OR PUSH A BUTTON TO BOMB US ALL TO HELL THE BIG FUCKING JESSIE!

How do people not see through this shit?

Because people think that terrorism can be stopped by offering them a cup of tea and a great big hug. Corybn is a terrorist enabler. Been proven he was a pro IRA supporter. Plenty of pictures and evidence on the internet.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Because people think that terrorism can be stopped by offering them a cup of tea and a great big hug. Corybn is a terrorist enabler. Been proven he was a pro IRA supporter. Plenty of pictures and evidence on the internet.
May literally sold weapons to the Saudis.

King_Moc

Banned

Really!?!? How come no one's mentioned it then?
/s

Oh bullshit. Fuck right off with that terrorist enabler nonsense because May literally sold weapons to those who enabled these recent attacks.

May literally sold weapons to the Saudis.

With the claim "to keep people on the streets of Britain safe" which I very much doubt as of now. I don't like either party/leader but I feel like a tactical vote for Tory inbound in order to keep the Brexit deal at bay (Since that what the snap GE is pretty much all about) and since Diane Abbott has proven to us she's got a PHD in maths, Don't really trust her with on negotiating a "deal" on a bill to leave.

mo60

Yougov seem to think it's leaning towards Labour. Seems a possibility anyway.

Electoral calculus the last time I checked also showed labour winning Clegg's seat. They also showed Zac Goldsmith winning back his seat from the lib dems with like 60% of the vote.

Pixieking

Banned
That's Clegg's seat. He's not losing that.

I don't think the point is that Clegg will lose it, but just that they want to split the liberal electorate's vote. It's the Conservative Party's version of tactical voting. "We know some of you don't want to vote for us, but we also know that some of you don't want to see Corbyn in power. Vote with your conscience, and vote LibDem."

massoluk

Banned

People tend to forget, but IRA stopped terrorist activities after UK government talked with them...

Despite multiple violence, people persevered toward peaceful resolution, not retaliation, ending with Good Friday Agreement

I might be delusional, but I think Corbyn might actually win this. When the election was originally called I thought we might be surprised at how well Corbyn does once he gets out there and starts campaigning, but I figured the Tories would still win overall. Now however, I am beginning to notice various factors which could contribute to a Corbyn win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom