• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasney

Heh, can't stay up all night Thursday as getting a new boiler installed all day on Friday. Probably saved myself getting very drunk.

liquidtmd

Banned
Heh, can't stay up all night Thursday as getting a new boiler installed all day on Friday. Probably saved myself getting very drunk.

I said I wouldn't stay up with both Brexit and the U.S elections...

Ended up staying up all night for both, and drinking alcohol started at 3am (GMT) for both for me when things started seeming sliding to hell :(

Par Score

This weather has me gloomy.

If it's like this on Thursday that will depress turnout and the Tories will walk it.

Yeah anyone getting excited just a reminder this is from the fivethirtyeight article:

glAMjeI.png

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/are-the-u-k-polls-skewed/

But as the rest of that article goes on to explain, it's not that simple.

Polls are all over the place. Wonder why British pollsters have such a big margin between each other compared to France or Germany where they are usually 1-3 percent close to each other.

Also covered in the above article, sampling, turnout and modelling differences between the pollsters.

It's good that they're all different (rather than herded together like last time) as one of them will be "right" and the others can learn from that.

Our polls normally herd towards a common point, but 2015 broke them.

The polling companies are essentially split into two groups, one group does aggressive turnout weighting based a number of factors (the previous election being the uppermost), the other group doesn't. If you remove the turnout weighting the polls are relatively consistent.

scRKU1j.png

There's also differences in how polls treat don't knows those tend to be based on how you voted in the previous election and your opinion of the party leader.
In other words sone pollsters assume young voters will give no shit

Theonik

The latter have far better voting systems, but the answer really is just "shy Tories".
I don't think this is the full picture. In truth people are still trying to figure this out. But. Once you take away weighing that is entirely pollsters guessing at the problem, samples taken around he same time seem more or less consistent across pollsters accounting for margins for error. If pollsters wished to herd by taking similar punts as their colleagues they would all be about the same.

But FPTP makes predicting elections a bit harder because the distribution of voters is more important and polling models do very little in working that out other than applying uniform swings using the last election and polls.

I've been kinda thinking about this a lot. I should take some time to write a paper at some point. Too busy though.

National vote share does impact short money, so it's not true to say that there's absolutely no point in voting for a party.
It also affects the positions of other major parties in the election the Greens have done a fantastic job in influencing labour on environmental issues for instance.

Just to give you an idea btw of what pollsters are up against, a large chunk of the Tory vote will happily tell a pollster "oh, I've not made up my mind yet". The pollster will say "are you leaning anyway?" The voter says "no."

In the back of their head they're almost certainly thinking "I'll make up my mind on the day." But what they're really just going to do is walk into the voting booth and vote Tory, because that's what they have done for the past five elections.

liquidtmd

Banned
May talking Live right now: "Leadership is at the heart of this General Election"

YOU SAID BREXIT WAS THE HEART OF IT NOT THREE DAYS AGO

Pixieking

Banned
What time are results expected to come in from? I'm not as invested in this election as the 2016 US election, so won't get that same ill feeling, and I do enjoy being awake when breaking news occurs.

This election has been a bit of a rollercoaster, and I'm not sure if June 8th is going to be an end to it.

I look forward to reading some 'behind the scenes' gossip on the Conservative campaign, because it's been an absolute car crash.

Audioboxer

What time are results expected to come in from? I'm not as invested in this election as the 2016 US election, so won't get that same ill feeling, and I do enjoy being awake when breaking news occurs.

2~4am UK time is when you usually have a good picture. If it's truly tight 5~7am. Basically, it's a through the night process.

If it's anything like 2015 we'll get first projections at 10 PM GMT (which, in contrast to the polls, were quite accurate last time) but final results for all the constituencies won't be in until the morning after.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
What's the chance of the usually reliable stealth Tory voter flipping away because of the dementia tax and pension changes?

liquidtmd

Banned
Jesus, May is wheeling out the Corbyn / IRA connection again right now.

At this point I'm not convinced that's still a good line to hammer home since online it seems to be continually countered with her Saudi ties

Audioboxer

What's the chance of the usually reliable stealth Tory voter flipping away because of the dementia tax and pension changes?

We'll find out this GE. First time in a while the Tories have had such a blunder for the iron-clad "old person vote".

Jesus, May is wheeling out the Corbyn / IRA connection again right now.

At this point I'm not convinced that's still a good line to hammer home since online it seems to be continually countered with her Saudi ties

IRA Corbyn vs Saudi May.

I think I'll vote UKIP.

The exit poll should tell us all we need to know. I think. If the poll shows Labour behind by what's predicted by ComRes, for example - 10 points - then I'd advise going and getting very drunk. OTOH if the exit poll backs Yougov, we get to watch the Tories go into meltdown, and that would be far too good an evening to waste being blotto.

Theonik

Just to give you an idea btw of what pollsters are up against, a large chunk of the Tory vote will happily tell a pollster "oh, I've not made up my mind yet". The pollster will say "are you leaning anyway?" The voter says "no."

In the back of their head they're almost certainly thinking "I'll make up my mind on the day." But what they're really just going to do is walk into the voting booth and vote Tory, because that's what they have done for the past five elections.
There is probably also people who know/think of the Tories as the 'Nasty Party' and so are embarrassed to admit voting for them in public but very much do so at the polls. Not sure how big that effect is though many people called new labour 'The Conservatives without the Guilt' so maybe there is some truth in that assessment?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Tom Watson is on Facebook now saying May will cut police numbers again in the next parliament (planned £850m cut to funding), urging her to make another u-turn.

Maledict

There is probably also people who know/think of the Tories as the 'Nasty Party' and so are embarrassed to admit voting for them in public but very much do so at the polls. Not sure how big that effect is though many people called new labour 'The Conservatives without the Guilt' so maybe there is some truth in that assessment?

This, btw, is why Theresa is so hated by the parliamentary party. Even though they agree with the sentiment she expressed in 2002, the fact is that phrase has been used as a stick to beat them with ever since and still gets mentioned even today. It's seen as one of the most idiotic political acts of self harm in recent memory.

There might be something in this policing number line. Could do some very late-day damage to the Tories if "Tory cuts = more terror" becomes voter logic.

Mr. Sam

The exit poll should tell us all we need to know. I think. If the poll shows Labour behind by what's predicted by ComRes, for example - 10 points - then I'd advise going and getting very drunk. OTOH if the exit poll backs Yougov, we get to watch the Tories go into meltdown, and that would be far too good an evening to waste being blotto.

My plan is to watch old episodes of The Simpsons to calm my nerves, go to bed, wake up in the morning, have an anxiety attack looking at the results (as is tradition on election results mornings) and collect myself in time to go to work.

Maledict

The bookies have been so absurdly wrong on elections really, I'm almost tempted to believe the opposite of what they say. The predict markets and bookies seem an extremely useless way to predict an election.

I'll be getting the vodka in.

In other news, I know there were moments of it being quite heated earlier on, but I've really enjoyed the fun of this thread during the election and know it'll be great fun for results night as the madness exists.

There might be something in this policing number line. Could do some very late-day damage to the Tories if "Tory cuts = more terror" becomes voter logic.

I don't know how much it'll cut through - but the fact this is even on the cards is fascinating. After Manchester my initial thought was 'oh well she's seen as strict and harsh on things, people will want that', but it seems to be that it's catching up on her. Conventional wisdom would say that she'd have benefitted hugely from these events - and even if she hasn't been harmed, she hasn't gained.

I think May gave a strong speech, but is struggling to bat away questions over policing numbers. The BBC is showing both the Conservative and Labour anti-terror plans - there's no contest.

What suicide bomber is going to care about a longer jail sentence?

mo60

I have just read about Alberta, but I am not sure what your point is. Recent polls show labour at best, neck and neck, and at worst the tories getting a majority. So yes, the polls would be off if Labour win.
My point is that it would require a polling error about that large for labour to win this election.The polling error for that election was like 12 to 13 points.Labour at the moment needs to win the popular vote possibly by 2 to 4 points to get more seats then the tories.It's unlikely polls in the UK overall will be off by a double digit margin on Thursday.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Selling £3bn worth of arms to a country where there is no democracy, the state sponsors terrorism, slavery still happens and women can't even drive? #confrontingextremism

kmag

In other words sone pollsters assume young voters will give no shit

Which is correct based on the previous election when the turnout was 43%, but it was 52% in 2010. So it's not set in stone that it'll be as low as 2015, or Iraq war election.

yJBLAub.png

If something so short lived and transparent as Cleggmania can boost turnout in that demo, you've got to think that Corbyn who is offering a far more comprehensive package for that demo is capable of matching it at least. YouGov's proposed number for 18-34 isn't far off that 54% (if I remember correctly)

It's not that youth never votes, they're rarely given a personal reason to. Most manifestos are targetted older.

kmag

The pollsters are pretty decent at weeding out the shy Tories these days. The party leader and previous vote screens do a good job. The pollsters themselves didn't think it was the issue in 2015, it was more unrepresentative samples to begin with. They think they've worked that out this time, but with so many more polls being online I'm not sure.

It's not that youth never votes, they're rarely given a personal reason to. Most manifestos are targetted older.

And both Labour and the LD's manifestos are targeted at the young. Labour want to scrap tuition fees, LDs want rent-to-buy and legal cannabis.

So the question is: is this a 1992/7 turnout or not.

Kmag, my understanding is that the more skeptical pollsters weight according to past vote/leader preference but Yougov/Survation don't?

Theonik

And both Labour and the LD's manifestos are targeted at the young. Labour want to scrap tuition fees, LDs want rent-to-buy and legal cannabis.

Kmag, my understanding is that the more skeptical pollsters weight according to past vote/leader preference but Yougov/Survation don't?
iirc YouGov is weighing for between 2015 and EU Referendum turnout.

kmag

I believe YouGov and Survation do it all at the sample level. The benefits of having such large pools, for whom they have lots of information on

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

God LDs have done such a bad job with their messaging. Those two policies are good and should be appealing, but I bet nobody knows them. I pay attention and I'd forgotten.

Wasn't that Clegg's seat? Didn't Labour win it last time?

No, Hallam was held by about 5% - something like 40-35 or 35-30. The Tories got about 12% and it's a wealthy area.

I'm not sure if Hallam is a naturally Labour area - it depends very much where Labour's coalition of voters came from for the past election. I do know it's not being treated as a major loss risk internally, but it's hard to judge without being in the constituency. Surprisingly enough, the LDs are net popular with young voters (I think we polled +5 in that demo in the latest poll) - I'm not sure if there's the same urge amongst young voters in Hallam - or indeed in Leeds North West - to kick out their pot-loving Remainer MPs. But it's definitely possible - there's no such thing as a safe LD seat.

God LDs have done such a bad job with their messaging. Those two policies are good and should be appealing, but I bet nobody knows them. I pay attention and I'd forgotten.

The BBC is the overwhelming source of news for the masses, the BBC bases its election coverage far more on being "representative" than being "fair" to all parties. Then add in that every paper in the country is either Labour or Tory. It's damn near impossible to mount a national campaign when the press wants it to be a two-horse race.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
The BBC is the overwhelming source of news for the masses, the BBC bases its election coverage far more on being "representative" than being "fair" to all parties. Then add in that every paper in the country is either Labour or Tory. It's damn near impossible to mount a national campaign when the press wants it to be a two-horse race.

The BBC has long been poor for its representative coverage, long over-representing UKIP and under-representing LDs and Greens. Can't argue with that. But Farron also can't get the message out, he's been too dogged by personal things.

Cannot believe we have gotten to the stage of Corbyn calling May to resign for national security reasons. This is absolutely brilliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom