• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

StayDead

Honestly, I hate shit like this because you just know it's gonna be wrong. I'm going to go out, vote Labour, do my part, and everyone should do the same, but I can't depress myself by getting optimistic.

This is my stance. I want it to be true so badly, but damn if I just know I'm going to be disappointed come Friday.

Hasney

Aren't they supposed to be accounting for shy Tories now though? And now shy Corbyn voters and (potentially) a somewhat increased youth turnout could be a thing.

What about shy AND undecided?! Who knows where these wildcards will go!!

Honestly, I hate shit like this because you just know it's gonna be wrong. I'm going to go out, vote Labour, do my part, and everyone should do the same, but I can't depress myself by getting optimistic.

Yeah, for me, any net loss for the Tories will be worth celebrating a little rather than being down. This was supposed to be them doubling down their power and if it backfires, at least there should be a little reaction to that.

*Splinter

With the claim "to keep people on the streets of Britain safe" which I very much doubt as of now. I don't like either party/leader but I feel like a tactical vote for Tory inbound in order to keep the Brexit deal at bay (Since that what the snap GE is pretty much all about) and since Diane Abbott has proven to us she's got a PHD in maths, Don't really trust her with on negotiating a "deal" on a bill to leave.
Good thing Abbott wouldn't be negotiating then.

Also what do you mean by "keep the Brexit deal at bay"?

With the claim "to keep people on the streets of Britain safe" which I very much doubt as of now. I don't like either party/leader but I feel like a tactical vote for Tory inbound in order to keep the Brexit deal at bay (Since that what the snap GE is pretty much all about) and since Diane Abbott has proven to us she's got a PHD in maths, Don't really trust her with on negotiating a "deal" on a bill to leave.

Don't worry about Diane, worry about Sir Keir Starmer negotiating a deal

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...-hold-the-government-to-account-a7771381.html

Hasney

I don't really trust Boris Johnson to negotiate a deal. I'm not sure what that has to do with anything though since neither would be no matter what happens (unless he somehow slimes his way into the top job if May goes). No idea what the "Brexit at bay" means. Sounds like you want to delay it or something?

Aren't they supposed to be accounting for shy Tories now though? And now shy Corbyn voters and (potentially) a somewhat increased youth turnout could be a thing.

I think the youth vote is going to be impossible to predict. After all, how many of them actually bothered to register? Hopefully "all of fucking them" but you know, it's effort.

Audioboxer

I want to believe. Shy Corbz save the day as the youth get out in UK wide historic numbers.

mo60

I might be delusional, but I think Corbyn might actually win this. When the election was originally called I thought we might be surprised at how well Corbyn does once he gets out there and starts campaigning, but I figured the Tories would still win overall. Now however, I am beginning to notice various factors which could contribute to a Corbyn win.

Like corbyn really needs something earth shattering at this point to win. Like he really needs something to release negative against the tories that can swing voters like crazy to him at this point. So far nothing has been that earth shattering in this election camapign.

oti

Banned
I'm just hoping May comes out to 'SOLID AS A ROCK' somewhere like something out of Arrested Development.

That's the irony behind it all, isn't it. She called the snap election to get a "clear and strong mandate" for the Brexit negotiations. According to the polls she's getting everything but.

Because people think that terrorism can be stopped by offering them a cup of tea and a great big hug. Corybn is a terrorist enabler. Been proven he was a pro IRA supporter. Plenty of pictures and evidence on the internet.

How is Corbyn an enabler, he has no power?

Margaret Thatcher was the enabler, Theresa May is the enabler.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Westminster voting intention:

CON: 45% (-)
LAB: 34% (-)
LDEM: 8% (-1)
UKIP: 5% (-)
GRN: 3% (-)

(via @ICMResearch / 02-04Jun)
Chgs w/ 02Jun

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status

Chgs w/ 02Jun

Do all these polls suggest that Tories won't have a strong majority?
How would government work if Labour is only 5 percent less?

Like corbyn really needs something earth shattering at this point to win. Like he really needs something to release negative against the tories that can swing voters like crazy to him at this point. So far nothing has been that earth shattering in this election camapign.

I never suggested anything earth shattering lol, it is more that I am expecting a similar result to Trump wherein we wake up on Friday morning and are surprised by the result.

Following on from the EU Referendum, it seemed to become apparent that many people treat their vote as a protest vote. Many people seemed to be disillusioned with politics, and it was noticed that income inequality and poverty boosted Leave votes (link). One year on and things haven't really changed for people, food bank usage is higher than ever (link). The NHS is still stretched. Teachers are still collecting money from students at the gates, and more recently we are being frequently attacked by extremists. All of this is giving me the impression that a lot of people are still going to treat this a protest vote. Like Brexit, Corbyn offers a huge change to the status quo, and I am beginning to suspect that come election day, a large chunk of voters will flock to him.

Xando

Chgs w/ 02Jun
Polls are all over the place. Wonder why British pollsters have such a big margin between each other compared to France or Germany where they are usually 1-3 percent close to each other.

My only hope is the youth actually do come out this time, and that there are many shy typically tory voters who like Corbyn's manifesto and will vote for them secretly.

Wishful thinking, but one can hope :/

mjontrix

Now I'm certain that May is trying to throw the election.

She doesn't want to win - although I'm certain that was not her initial plan (that would've been to wipe out Labour completely).

*Splinter

Pretty much. Just seems like that we are getting billed for democracy by the sound of things.
If we're offered a worse deal than "no deal" we'll obviously choose no deal. No deal is literally the worst outcome that we might accept, and the aim should be to reach a better deal than that.

"No deal is better than a bad deal" is a completely meaningless soundbite. No deal IS a bad deal.

Hopefully a stupid question but in a hung parliament are there any in the PLP who might prefer to prop up the Tories rather than giving Corbyn a shot in an effort to force him out?

Polls are all over the place. Wonder why British pollsters have such a big margin between each other compared to France or Germany where they are usually 1-3 percent close to each other.
Because Murdoch has such a big presence in our press and some of those influence polling patterns.

Mr. Sam

Hopefully a stupid question but in a hung parliament are there any in the PLP who might prefer to prop up the Tories rather than giving Corbyn a shot in an effort to force him out?

To do so would be career suicide, and basically suicide for the Labour Party, so no, there's no chance.

Xando

If we're offered a worse deal than "no deal" we'll obviously choose no deal. No deal is literally the worst outcome that we might accept, and the aim should be to reach a better deal than that.

"No deal is better than a bad deal" is a completely meaningless soundbite. No deal IS a bad deal.
How would a worse deal than no deal even look like? Getting annexed by jean claude juncker?

All this talk of shy Tories is kinda weird in 2017, given how toxic Corbyn is in many parts of England i would have thought in this election it would be shy Labour dominating poll talk.

mo60

I never suggested anything earth shattering lol, it is more that I am expecting a similar result to Trump wherein we wake up on Friday morning and are surprised by the result.

Following on from the EU Referendum, it seemed to become apparent that many people treat their vote as a protest vote. Many people seemed to be disillusioned with politics, and it was noticed that income inequality and poverty boosted Leave votes (link). One year on and things haven't really changed for people, food bank usage is higher than ever (link). The NHS is still stretched. Teachers are still collecting money from students at the gates, and more recently we are being frequently attacked by extremists. All of this is giving me the impression that a lot of people are still going to treat this a protest vote. Like Brexit, Corbyn offers a huge change to the status quo, and I am beginning to suspect that come election day, a large chunk of voters will flock to him.

Like labour needs an Alberta Canada 2012 provincial election type of polling error to win at this point.

If (and I pray they do) things go REALLY badly for Overlord May and her band of merry Assclowns, can I suggest that 'bye Felicia' be replaced 'bye Teresa' ? :D

I'm just sad that the MP for my area - Ben 'I'm an ignorant cunt' Wallace - has been the MP since forever and is very unlikely to be unseated :(.

Although I'm generally Lib Dem, I'll be voting Labour here cos (a) they are most likely to at least TRY and unseat him (don't see it happening though :(. ) and (b) I quite like Jezza and what he appears to stand for generally. Do prefer the Lib Dem view on Brexit though so I'm torn.

*Splinter

How would a worse deal than no deal even look like? Getting annexed by jean claude juncker?
All our pensioners returning from Spain, while a huge chunk of NHS staff get sent back to Europe. Or any other batshit crazy Tory fantasy.

All this talk of shy Tories is kinda weird in 2017, given how toxic Corbyn is in many parts of England i would have thought in this election it would be shy Labour dominating poll talk.
I don't think shy Tories are a good explanation of anything. As far as I understand they were only observed in 1992 (25 years ago!) and the more recent polling errors where attributed to other reasons (I don't remember what those reasons were).

Mr. Sam

If (and I pray they do) things go REALLY badly for Overlord May and her band of merry Assclowns, can I suggest that 'bye Felicia' be replaced 'bye Teresa' ? :D

I'm just sad that the MP for my area - Ben 'I'm an ignorant cunt' Wallace - has been the MP since forever and is very unlikely to be unseated :(.

Although I'm generally Lib Dem, I'll be voting Labour here cos (a) they are most likely to at least TRY and unseat him (don't see it happening though :(. ) and (b) I quite like Jezza and what he appears to stand for generally. Do prefer the Lib Dem view on Brexit though so I'm torn.

I've just had a look at your constituency and, while there's not much point voting Labour, there's no point voting Lib Dem.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!

What you say is logical, but remember that pollsters don't actually know for certain why Tories get more votes than the polls suggest, at the end of the day they are asking a few thousand people and extrapolating that to the result for the entire country. There's no voter breakdown or anything that would let them properly scrutinise the vote after it's happened, all we know for certain is that the Tories have outperformed the poll average on 12 of the last 15 general elections. Everything else is just (well educated) speculation.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!

I grew up in Eric Pickles constituency, I don't think any man has ever looked or acted more like he knew he'd never lose an election. I feel your pain.

just finished that Piers Morgan interview

it was savage. We need more of this. The bloody Tories haven't had their feet held to the fire enough.

I'm shocked it was Piers bloody Morgan though

*Splinter

all we know for certain is that the Tories have outperformed the poll average on 12 of the last 15 general elections
For anyone who loves to be disappointed, you could also spin this as "the losing party have outperformed the poll average in 9 of the last 14 general elections", which would suggest a hung parliament (assuming Labour still have less than Conservatives).

(According to the 538 table posted on the last page).

Spaghetti

The Conservatives are definitely on the back foot over police funding at least. Probably not in a big enough way to make a difference to the vote, however.

Man, if this election had a bit more runway this could turn into an even bigger catastrophic mess for the Conservatives.

Jezbollah

Do all these polls suggest that Tories won't have a strong majority?
How would government work if Labour is only 5 percent less?

Bugger. I have a link somewhere that translate polling percentages into seats.

A Tory 45%, Labour 35% translates into roughly Con 350, Labour 220 if I remember right.

(it's the figures I think we'll see on Thursday IMO)

Like labour needs an Alberta Canada 2012 provincial election type of polling error to win at this point.

I have just read about Alberta, but I am not sure what your point is. Recent polls show labour at best, neck and neck, and at worst the tories getting a majority. So yes, the polls would be off if Labour win.

Theonik

Steven Hilton, Cameron's "policy guru", is saying May should resign, not seek re-election, due to her failures:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...hester-westminster-terror-david-a7772931.html

https://twitter.com/SteveHiltonx/status/871611939310379008
As predicted the party is preparing to distance themselves from May as much as possible to avoid contagion. She won't get ousted afterwards unless she fails spectacularly but her days are numbered and people will be looking to crucify her over Brexit and there will be new Tory leadership in time for the 2022 GE.
Then again Tories are crazy.

The latter have far better voting systems, but the answer really is just "shy Tories". A big chunk of the Tory vote is just unwilling to admit they'll vote Tory.

I've just had a look at your constituency and, while there's not much point voting Labour, there's no point voting Lib Dem.

National vote share does impact short money, so it's not true to say that there's absolutely no point in voting for a party.

kmag

But really the evidence isn't clear about this. They're definitely as dodgy as the rest of the people in that picture but the Saudis are at war with Isis as well.

Our polls normally herd towards a common point, but 2015 broke them.

The polling companies are essentially split into two groups, one group does aggressive turnout weighting based a number of factors (the previous election being the uppermost), the other group doesn't. If you remove the turnout weighting the polls are relatively consistent.

scRKU1j.png

There's also differences in how polls treat don't knows those tend to be based on how you voted in the previous election and your opinion of the party leader.

Personally, while I think there should be some turnout weighting, I think most of it should be in the actual initial sample (although that has it's own set of problems), I do get the feeling that ICM and ComRes might be fighting the last election. I think Corbyn will have some positive effect on the under 34 turnout and they'll be closer to 2010 levels than 2015. After all some of the proposition that Corbyn is offering re tuition fees is pretty similar to Cleggmania. Although I don't think that effect will do more than just limit the Tory margin of victory, I fear that in targeted marginals the Tories will outperform their national polling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom