• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wvrs

So how would a Labour alliance work? Would it be a formal coalition, or more likely to be a Labour minority government propped up by SNP/LDs?

On another note, not liking this weather or the forecast for Thursday.

So how would a Labour alliance work? Would it be a formal coalition, or more likely to be a Labour minority government propped up by SNP/LDs?

On another note, not liking this weather or the forecast for Thursday.
Is there real historical evidence that people are less likely to vote if it's raining? Or is it a myth? If real, fuck those people! Use an umbrella if you're worried about getting your hair wet.

Find it hard to believe that anything JC says is well thought out politically but I do think calling for May's resignation works for two reasons 1. It focuses the blame on her. 2. It escalates the argument and rises above the noise of the rest of the campaign.

It's Crosbys campaign turned against her. It's marvellous.

Sanjay

The BBC are running an interview with man who says he called the anti-terror hotline about one of the london attackers a year ago and nothing was done. They've asked the MET for comment, I think that's why there's all these ex-security people out blaming May today, the MET is doing what it does and circling the waggons, they'll do everything they can to make sure the public blames funding levels and not whatever decision making led to this guy not being arrested before he did something.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-40159360/they-didn-t-get-back-to-me

He couldn't, he lost his job.

DavidDesu

The Manchester bomber and now one of the London attackers were both reported well in advance to our police. Either they failed or they simply don't have the manpower to cover all the work that they need to do. I would guess the latter. Falls directly to May herself and her party.

The Manchester bomber and now one of the London attackers were both reported well in advance to our police. Either they failed or they simply don't have the manpower to cover all the work that they need to do. I would guess the latter. Falls directly to May herself and her party.

I can really only see it being manpower. You imagine they've been told to prioritise very specific information and ignore anything else.

It's probably a case of Failing because in some fashion they were understaffed etc.

Its not to say things would be a whole lot different pre-cuts, based on how many people they theorize you need to efficiently and accurately surveil someone, but the job has undoubtedly been made harder which leads to mistakes which typically leads to tragedy.

I hope May and her party gets rightly dragged over the coals for the police cuts/lack of funding. I watched that thing on BBC last week about policing in London and apparently firearms officers are now volunteers with no extra pay? So her saying 'we recruited more firearms officers' basically means jackshit.

empyrean

Or maybe they were investigated fully and were found to have committed no offence that you can arrest someone for?

It'd be interesting to see internal polling figures, as I think this is what would be driving strategies at the moment.

Based on recent events, I would guess that Cons are on for a victory, but its nowhere near the number they were hoping for. If May doesn't reach 350 seats I think she knows her days are numbered.

I think the days of her dreaming of a 400+ majority, giving her Iron Lady-type status within the party and able to do what she pleases are long gone.

jem0208

I wonder what the Tories/May's response will be to the all the police cuts stuff.

Will they just ignore it and hope it doesn't have too much effect?

It's all coming at a good time really, it'll be right in the voters mind when they go to the polls.

Beefy

It's probably a case of Failing because in some fashion they were understaffed etc.

Its not to say things would be a whole lot different pre-cuts, based on how many people they theorize you need to efficiently and accurately surveil someone, but the job has undoubtedly been made harder which leads to mistakes which typically leads to tragedy.
https://twitter.com/AFHStewart/status/871336931480805376

This guy is talking about how bad May was as a home sec. He use to be a Met police officer

Spuck-uk

Banned
I wonder what the Tories/May's response will be to the all the police cuts stuff.

It's all coming at a good time really, it'll be right in the voters mind when they go to the polls.

It's also a huge punch right in the 'Strong and Stables', on an area they claim to be the stronger party.

They really must be wishing the election had been a few weeks earlier.

Rodelero

So far their response seems half ignore but half lie. There has been some pretty epic spinning going on from various Tories today.

Uzzy

It'd be interesting to see internal polling figures, as I think this is what would be driving strategies at the moment.

Based on recent events, I would guess that Cons are on for a victory, but its nowhere near the number they were hoping for. If May doesn't reach 350 seats I think she knows her days are numbered.

I think the days of her dreaming of a 400+ majority, giving her Iron Lady-type status within the party and able to do what she pleases are long gone.

The FT had an article over the weekend with Labour sources saying they were braced for significant losses in the Midlands and the North. Who knows if that's accurate anymore though.

Probably nothing now but if it is persistently brought up then pressure will grow to change things as there will ever be the argument that costs are being cut in some areas and not in others and policing will become one of those areas people get more passionate about.

Or maybe they were investigated fully and were found to have committed no offence that you can arrest someone for?

I don't think anyone expected those suspects to be immediately arrested, this isn't Minority Report. The concern here is that no-one kept an eye on them - or rather, the security services didn't have the capacity to keep a good eye on them. At least that's my reading of it all.

jem0208

It's also a huge punch right in the 'Strong and Stables', on an area they claim to be the stronger party.

They really must be wishing the election had been a few weeks earlier.

Yup. If Labour can really spread this message out there over the next few days it could make a real difference.

Damn, this election is exciting.

Lego Boss

I have spoken to social service hotlines many times in previous jobs about the sheer abuse that I witnessed as a worker with Leicestershire County Council. Junkie parents on a heroin jag with new borns left to fend for themselves, parents disappearing on bi-polar travails through the UK rail network.

They didn't act. Not because they felt they shouldn't, but because they can't. It's just too stretched. if they acted on everything, then the whole of the country would be investigating illegal activity.

It may well be the same with this. No excuses. This is reality.

So the first thing that happens is someone goes to the Queen and says "I have the largest support of MPs in the house, so I should run the government and pick a cabinet."

The Queen, in this instance, takes off her glasses and says "wait, you're not Theresa", as May has been bundled off into a van heading to live in David Cameron's overpriced shed, never to be seen again.

So let's say it's either Boris Johnson or Jeremy Corbyn.

Johnson has two parties guaranteed at his back - the UUP and the DUP. He also will probably have the independent Ulster unionist, the Lady Sylvia Hermon, willing to back him. That makes, in our Yougov scenario and my loose predictions for NI, something like 313 MPs.

Corbyn has exactly four parties I could see cheerily agreeing to him as PM - Plaid, the SNP, the SDLP and the Greens.

So the entire situation would come down to the Alliance member, if Naomi Long makes it back in, and the Lib Dem MPs, and therefore, against all probability, Tim Farron.

Tim Farron chooses the PM.

On the one hand, he can agree to do nothing, as the party's position would be. No deals! Boris Johnson becomes PM.

On another hand, he could - and he is not going to do this - say "well, I always said it was only with May's Conservatives..." at which point Paddy Ashdown runs into his front kitchen with a chainsaw.

On the other hand, he could say "the public voted the Tories out, and the public get their wish" and back Corbyn - thus breaking a direct promise.

On the other hand, Farron could say "well I want to be PM, so I say Labour and the SNP should back ME!"

More seriously, it would come down to which coalition had the largest minority of MPs, and the LDs/Alliance might well just decide independently if they'll back a bill or not until whoever is PM decides "sod this" and gets a new GE.

Yup. If Labour can really spread this message out there over the next few days it could make a real difference.

Damn, this election is exciting.

I can't really feel that way given I think the horrific business in Manchester and London has given a not-insignificant amount of momentum to Labour's campaign - especially now police cuts are the hot issue.

Like obviously it's pushing things in the direction I'd prefer to see but I'd rather no-one had to die and that to make that happen? Bittersweet doesn't quite cover it, ha.

The FT had an article over the weekend with Labour sources saying they were braced for significant losses in the Midlands and the North. Who knows if that's accurate anymore though.

I believe that the Grauniad also had an article up early last week saying something similar, that public polls were a lot closer to what internal polling was showing, also making reference to Midlands/North.

Which would explain why Corbyn is really going on the offensive in these last few days; last roll of the dice and all.

Huw that fantasy even beats out your earlier one where you had Tim "grinning from the opposition benches". You've got some imagination I'll give you that!

I think that there is a danger of a lot of people rolling their eyes at this.

I think people who would roll their eyes at this would be people who have already made up their mind to be fair.

This election really is an interesting one. I've never followed politics this much in my life. 26 years old and I've felt so jaded on the subject for most of my adult/teenage life until now.

You've got some imagination I'll give you that!

I do try. :)

It's actually based on the Yougov prediction, not anything I'm dreaming up. If Yougov were right, I'd peg it on Farron to be the kingmaker.

I think the ComRes/ICM polling is closer to the truth. Tory tide, good majority for them, Corbyn looks bad, Farron looks bad, Sturgeon looks bad.

Theonik

We don't pretend to do it: the government is still getting notable money from these loans as are universities.
You do realise the government pays a large portion of this tuition and all that 'increased tuition' actually means is a reduction in the amount of tuition grants the government provides. And you do realise that only a small subset of people will ever pay their tuition loans back. Hell the IFS estimates that the current loans system still requires the taxpayer to subsidise at least 43.3% of tuition. There is huge unknowns in all of these estimates though and actual earning distributions of grads might differ. We simply have no idea what the long term cost of the new (current) system actually is. There are realistic scenarios where we will already be subsidising some 70% of the money.

Abolishing tuition also has wider economic benefits depending on whether it leads to more high-earning graduates paying more tax on a new tax system. As well as alleviating the tax burden on lower paid graduates which could lead to more money being spent in the real economy.

Chances of a hung parliament? Socio-liberal coalition?

Hung parliament is a possibility, though not a certainty by any means. Coalition government in any capacity is difficult. You MIGHT get Lib Dems backing up Labour, but Labour have said they don't want a coalition. You also have to take into account what SNP would be asking for to create a coalition. We'd be looking at another referendum in exchange, which would also eliminate any hopes of maintaining a left wing government as soon as Scotland leaves the UK.

to be fair, it's pretty shite that the governing party for (basically) 7 years still have this decently-sized voting body that are utterly ashamed of their vote, and yet that has seemingly no chance of stopping or diminishing

Audioboxer

Coalitions aren't going to be formal, the best we can hope for is the parties unifying for voting as a block on sane policy decisions. That Sturgeon has at least said the SNP will do with Labour (case by case voting). Labours biggest problem isn't finding allies, it's how the MP's inside the party decide to vote or turn up. As in, the party is often incredibly divided on big issues.

Spuck-uk

Banned
time to chill out a bit there mate haha

Lying about your beliefs is cowardly, is that controversial?

I should have said rats, in the style of Nye

"That is why no amount of cajolery, and no attempts at ethical or social seduction, can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party that inflicted those bitter experiences on me. So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin.,"
-Aneurin Bevan, architect of the NHS and Bantersaurus.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Hung parliament is a possibility, though not a certainty by any means. Coalition government in any capacity is difficult. You MIGHT get Lib Dems backing up Labour, but Labour have said they don't want a coalition. You also have to take into account what SNP would be asking for to create a coalition. We'd be looking at another referendum in exchange, which was also eliminate any hopes of maintaining a left wing government as soon as Scotland leaves the UK.

Not necessarily - not if they have a big say in the way the entire UK is run got the next 5 years.

Not sure I like the idea of a party with a clear agenda towards to future of Scotland determining the future of England, Wales and NI tbh.

Hung parliament is a possibility, though not a certainty by any means. Coalition government in any capacity is difficult. You MIGHT get Lib Dems backing up Labour, but Labour have said they don't want a coalition. You also have to take into account what SNP would be asking for to create a coalition. We'd be looking at another referendum in exchange, which was also eliminate any hopes of maintaining a left wing government as soon as Scotland leaves the UK.

Also, the Brexit countdown keeps on ticking...

Imho, the best possible outcome (all considering that we're already in the darkest timeline anyway) would be a reduced Tory majority. Then they'd have to own the mess of their own making, but would have to do so in a weakened state, May would probably not last the year, and the opposition can go full HAM when the already inevitable Brexit fallout really starts to hit.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Coalitions aren't going to be formal, the best we can hope for is the parties unifying for voting as a block on sane policy decisions. That Sturgeon has at least said the SNP will do with Labour (case by case voting). Labours biggest problem is never finding allies, it's how the MP's inside the party decide vote or turn up. As in, the party is often incredibly divided on big issues.

The rifts in the tory party were what started this mess in the first place, with the split between pro-europe/business uber alles and the rather more right wing anti-europe lot.

kmag

I do try. :)

It's actually based on the Yougov prediction, not anything I'm dreaming up. If Yougov were right, I'd peg it on Farron to be the kingmaker.

I think the ComRes/ICM polling is closer to the truth. Tory tide, good majority for them, Corbyn looks bad, Farron looks bad, Sturgeon looks bad.

I don't get the sense the Tories think it's as good as ComRes/ICM, I think they think it's closer to the Orb poll. I think the Tories will outperform their poll numbers in terms of seats.

liquidtmd

Banned
Also, the Brexit countdown keeps on ticking...

Imho, the best possible outcome (all considering that we're already in the darkest timeline anyway) would be a reduced Tory majority. Then they'd have to own the mess of their own making, but would have to do so in a weakened state, May would probably not last the year, and the opposition can go full HAM when the already inevitable Brexit fallout really starts to hit.

As much as I want the Tories out, I agree with all this

I don't get the sense the Tories think it's as good as ComRes/ICM, I think they think it's closer to the Orb poll. I think the Tories will outperform their poll numbers in terms of seats.

I'm pegging the Tories at a working majority of 60, personally, I just like living in the happy alternate universe.

Audioboxer

http://whothefuckshouldivotefor.com/

It's using Tactical2017's data, it just has a better presentation.

IF YOU BELIEVE IN A PROGRESSIVE SOCIETY, THEN YOU SHOULD FUCKING VOTE IN A WAY THAT WILL STOP THE CONSERVATIVES FROM TURBOFUCKING THE COUNTRY FOR THE NEXT 5 YEARS.

😂😂😂

Stop thundercunts from turbofucking the country. British language, pls. International GAF is horrified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom