• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anung

Un Rama
To talk about shame we cross over to Dover

v5mWDMq.png

0axtFd1.png

http://www.kentnews.co.uk/news/huge...pe-appears-on-white-cliffs-of-dover-1-5048496

n7Uq4G0_d.jpg

I mean, in regards to Trump and Khan, I'd probably say it's time we just started ignoring Donald.

He may be the US president but he doesn't seem to have a clue.

Something weird happened at work. We were talking about the election and a Tory voter, unprompted, said she can't bring herself to vote for the Tories this election because of what happened over the weekend.

She said she's not voting at all. Weird as fuck. What makes it weirder, she was so smug when the Tories won last time and was fully behind May and the Tories just last week...

Didn't expect this kind of fallout from the London attack. Seems some people are genuinely angry over the police cuts, I'm a little surprised it's already filtering through.

Hazzuh

Something weird happened at work. We were talking about the election and a Tory voter, unprompted, said she can't bring herself to vote for the Tories this election because of what happened over the weekend.

She said she's not voting at all. Weird as fuck. What makes it weirder, she was so smug when the Tories won last time and was fully behind May and the Tories just last week...

Didn't expect this kind of fallout from the London attack. Seems some people are genuinely angry over the police cuts, I'm a little surprised it's already filtering through.

This is the thing I'm finding really weird about this election as a whole. In the last few elections and referenda, the left-wing side failed to set the terms of the discussion every single time. I was so sure Corbyn would spend the whole campaign playing catch up as the Tories dredging up his history or bringing up the vote of no confidence etc but... it seems like that just hasn't happened?

I have no real idea why, is Corbyn's team just far better at campaigning? Is May's team far worse? Or have structural factors shifted enough to change the outcome (newspapers less relevant, social media more relevant)?

Of course I still expect Labour to lose in a landslide but it is interesting nonetheless.

Do you think May will defend the mayor of our capital city from baseless insults by a foreign power in the wake of a terrorist attack?

Downing St refusing to comment more, and think they've said enough. Basically saying Sadiq has done well but not actually condemning Trump's comments. Suspect they'll keep that line.

Spuck-uk

Banned
This is the thing I'm finding really weird about this election as a whole. In the last few elections and referenda, the left-wing side failed to set the terms of the discussion every single time. I was so sure Corbyn would spend the whole campaign playing catch up as the Tories dredging up his history or bringing up the vote of no confidence etc but... it seems like that just hasn't happened?

I have no real idea why, is Corbyn's team just far better at campaigning? Is May's team far worse? Or have structural factors shifted enough to change the outcome (newspapers less relevant, social media more relevant)?

Of course I still expect Labour to lose in a landslide but it is interesting nonetheless.

The conservatives thought they'd walk it after Labour spent two years knifing each ofther in the back and most of the country doesn't trust the Lib Dems.

They thought it would be an easy campaign against an opposition with a guy at the helm who was wildly out of his depth and completely unelectable.

Just like the brexit referendum, this has backfired on them.

Dougald

Canvassing? Bro, I'm just going to stay at home and watch anime and I'll have a 50%+ win by default.

Must be nice to have an easy job for life where you can vote for your own payrises.

Every election I'm still living here I lose the will to vote a little more. Thank god it's so easy to do. The only surprise here will be if the flip back to the traditional opposition (Lib Dem) is greater than the number of UKIP votes the conservatives pick up.

You think that's bad?

5b6Ew3M.png

Gaze upon John Redwood and despair

I know I've seen these numbers before, but they continue to amuse and depress me.

I have some mild hope that we might be able to oust Sharma here. Haven't spotted one Conservative campaign poster in the area, but spotted quite a few vote Labour signs. Then again, the area has a strong Labour base - hence they run the Council - but still enough Tory voters for the day that matters, so... will have to see how people actually turn out.

CCS

Banned
Mine doesn't quite have such a big Tory vote (only 57%) but it does have the double blow of a) being Michael Fallon's seat and b) UKIP having been the second biggest party with 18% of the vote.

jelly

Downing St refusing to comment more, and think they've said enough. Basically saying Sadiq has done well but not actually condemning Trump's comments. Suspect they'll keep that line.

Still hoping for a quick US trade deal post Brexit, do they really think Trump will give them a good deal, will still be in office by the time it's finalised. Just call out Donnie for the moron he is, won't make a difference to a trade deal, UK is getting screwed every which way by all countries. Is Donnie still coming over for red carpet event with the Queen in the summer?

May defended Khan after her speech a couple of times this morning, said he's doing a good job as Mayor of London. One of the areas she said she disagrees with Trump, as well as the US pulling out of the Paris deal.

Audioboxer

Must be nice to have an easy job for life where you can vote for your own payrises.

Every election I'm still living here I lose the will to vote a little more. Thank god it's so easy to do. The only surprise here will be if the flip back to the traditional opposition (Lib Dem) is greater than the number of UKIP votes the conservatives pick up.

You think that's bad? This is the shit I have to deal with:

Damn, into the 60's. Seeing some of these figures I understand why there is some despair amongst voters. You have to keep getting out and voting though, it's all you can do (alongside debate/campaigning and what not).

All these Lib Dems swings are pretty brutal as well. They pretty much all went to the Tories or UKIP. Further screwing Labour.

I think their collective ego gets the better of them and they clearly aren't very good at reading the public mood. There's been merciless mocking of May constantly bringing up the IRA.

This. So much.

UKIP central.

Isn't the local economy propped up by all those tourists who come to see the white cliffs?

Audioboxer

Redwood strikes me as the kind of guy that might actually watch anime.

If only we could get the Daily Mail to print that. I'm telling you, it would destroy the 65 and over voting demographic. Probably more than the dementia tax.

Some of the most depraved people do indeed consume things like anime.
jokes!

jelly

That Dover thing is a like a big reminder to voters, remember to blame the EU for your ills and those foreigners. Embarrassing.

Isn't May's communication lead, a former Sun head or perhaps it was Daily Mail. I wonder how they feel now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom