• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandy

I picked up on this bit of the article from May's pit-stop in Edinburgh:
Then it is the main event. The Prime Minister gives us the SNP and Labour are in cahoots line.

She said: ”The reality is if we lose just six seats, the government loses its majority and that will mean Jeremy Corbyn in Number ten and Nicola Sturgeon pulling the strings from Bute House."

”Boo" went the compliant crowd.
I understand how this line plays well South of the border, but Scottish people booing that their politicians might have real influence on a Westminster government?! Absolutely bonkers.

As I said earlier, there is a positive case to be made for the Union, but we aren't going to hear it while the Scot Tories are the opposition.

Jezbollah

Transpires that the Mirror is going to publish a spread on tactical voting to keep the Conservatives out.

This doesn't seem to inspire much confidence in Labour by them IMO.

Very unlikely but I can see a hung parliament for sure, if young people actually vote this time. If they don't 50-70 seat Tory majority incoming.

I don't think an update in youth vote can is enough to counter the UKIP -> Conservative flip to be honest.

jelly

People need to swallow the Brexit pill first and then we might see a change. Depending how negotiations go, could be a long wait, people will want to see how good or bad it plays out and I don't think the SNP will get away with just looking at the deal, nah, let's go independent. People need to live it for many years because I presume it will take ages to move on from being in the EU. A taste won't be enough for the people that could swing it.

Sanjay

Such defence.

Is this really real?
DBkjxHKXcAE_rKk.jpg:large

Meanwhile NYCMayor, Bill de Blasio:- https://twitter.com/NYCMayor/status/871768812894531584

The New York's mayor is defending Khan than the UK's prime minister. What world are we living in.

Theres a video of it and he takes a dump on Trump.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah but ten thousand to see a politician speak...in the piss pouring rain. It's pretty impressive stuff.

it's definitely inspiring that people care in an election that was called for the most cynical reasons. I don't know what will happen but the turnaround in a month has been pretty remarkable and I hope it doesn't all go to waste after the election if Labour don't win.

Jezbollah

Yeah but ten thousand to see a politician speak...in the piss pouring rain. It's pretty impressive stuff.

If that's the case, then that's a shade under half the total Labour vote in 2015. Either that's impressive and/or or a lot of people came from far and wide to see JC speak.

QT audience: Farron, do u think we should have a backdoor into encryption methods? Please give an answer a, b, or c.

a) yes
b) hell yes because I'm not a terrorist
c) I know jack about encryption but it sounds like a bad thing.

Empty

Things like this really make me believe in a surprise Corbyn majority.

the corbyn as micheal foot analogy has rather fallen apart recently but it's still true that in 1983 foot went around the country to huge, roaring crowds and then lost massively. in the campaign foot would turn to his pollsters and tell them their figures must be wrong as he'd just spoken in front of a thousand people cheering him.

What's important is if those tens of thousands there pass on the message, they share it with their friends not there and convince them (and not in a crazy Corbynista Twitter fringes of madness way). Turn those in to the grassroots, the activists, the campaigners and on the doorstep. I don't know if Labour have done the encouraging for that enough.

Faddy

Banned
QT audience: Farron, do u think we should have a backdoor into encryption methods? Please give an answer a, b, or c.

a) yes
b) hell yes because I'm not a terrorist
c) I know jack about encryption but it sounds like a bad thing.

People don't understand "monitoring the internet" is breaking encryption.

It is breaking the trust between you and your bank, businesses and their clients and opening up people to identity theft. It will make the internet a more dangerous place for the average person.

*Splinter

the corbyn as micheal foot analogy has rather fallen apart recently but it's still true that in 1983 foot went around the country to huge, roaring crowds and then lost massively. in the campaign foot would turn to his pollsters and tell them their figures must be wrong as he'd just spoken in front of a thousand people cheering him.
The Donald Trump polling method

Why is Labour in a Labour stronghold anyway?

Never discount it, but never be deceived by it either. If every single one of them, and every other person attending rallies like that, stays tuned into the political landscapes of the UK after Friday, then it's impressive in a sense that it is here you will be able to say you saw the first signs of a major political change - said change could take years upon years to bear the fruits of beating the Tories. If, as the skeptic in me is saying, these people dejectedly turn away after Friday if we lose - or stop caring so much in the shock chance Corbyn wins, then little will change over the next decade or so.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Farron dodging that abortion question like Neo in the Matrix. Just say "no" you muppet instead of explaining it otherwise you end up with the nuclear crowd

Faddy

Banned
This crowd are chewing up Farron...

Farron is a complete chump. Rambling non answers.

Tim why is it so hard to answer the question? isn't just for his religious views, he gone on and on and round and round in circles for every question.

What's important is if those tens of thousands there pass on the message, they share it with their friends not there and convince them (and not in a crazy Corbynista Twitter fringes of madness way). Turn those in to the grassroots, the activists, the campaigners and on the doorstep. I don't know if Labour have done the encouraging for that enough.
I think the chances are good that word of mouth really helps labour.

You have two facts to think about:

The hatred for the government is at the highest its been in a long time. While the majority of the country seemed 'strong and stable' behind the Tories we have seen how fragile that is now that serious questions are being asked by the general public on security and history.

Corbyn has energised his Base and the message has been clear - we need to get the Tories out and we need to get everyone we know to vote.

Now I'm not saying they will suddenly get a a majority or anything but I wouldn't be surprised if the turnout is higher than people expected. I also think the greater emphasis on security could drive people to vote and vote against May.

We shall see of course.

On a side note Corbyn tweeted a great clip about May's tenure as HS and PM.

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/871822467819597826

I think Farron did well too - he needs to be a bit less wordy with his answers though.

I can't see a world where many bothered to watch.

Are you on acid

Very unlikely but I can see a hung parliament for sure, if young people actually vote this time. If they don't 50-70 seat Tory majority incoming.

don't do it to yourself. Gateshead is a Labour stronghold.

Its not just events like this though. I mentioned this earlier:

Following on from the EU Referendum, it seemed to become apparent that many people treat their vote as a protest vote. Many people seemed to be disillusioned with politics, and it was noticed that income inequality and poverty boosted Leave votes (link). One year on and things haven't really changed for people, food bank usage is higher than ever (link). The NHS is still stretched. Teachers are still collecting money from students at the gates, and more recently we are being frequently attacked by extremists. All of this is giving me the impression that a lot of people are still going to treat this a protest vote. Like Brexit, Corbyn offers a huge change to the status quo, and I am beginning to suspect that come election day, a large chunk of voters will flock to him.

To add to this:

The surge in young people registering to vote.
The abysmal campaign by the Tories.
Corbyn seeming to resonate with voters.
Also, it is purely anecdotal but I am hearing from people all over the place that they are voting Labour despite previously voting Tory. A lot of the same people who voted for brexit.

Obviously I could be completely wrong, but I just have a gut feeling he might win ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Its not just events like this though. I mentioned this earlier:

To add to this:

The surge in young people registering to vote.
The abysmal campaign by the Tories.
Corbyn seeming to resonate with voters.
Also, it is purely anecdotal but I am hearing from people all over the place that they are voting Labour despite previously voting Tory. A lot of the same people who voted for brexit.

Obviously I could be completely wrong, but I just have a gut feeling he might win ¯_(ツ)_/¯.

Oh I think Labour could well improve on 2015, but in order to win a majority thanks to the revamped constituencies they would need a 13% percent lead or something like that to get a majority. Just can't see that even the most optimistic scenario.

I understand there's reason to be hopeful, but let's not become delusional.

Labour isn't going to get a majority. The Tories, while hated, will return to government. The most we can hope for is a either a reduced majority of very small increase in seats, even a hung parliament doesn't seem likely.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
She's doing the "I'm very clear" bit again. Is it really so hard for her to speak without resorting to the same phrases over and over?

Everyone does it to some extent. She's under a lot of pressure and is struggling to take it. This isn't planned - unlike strong and stable - but instinctual. The mask is broken. I think she only survives because nobody will want the blame for Brexit.

''Did you read the report?''

''Yes''

''Then tell me specifically what it said.''

''Well, I read it and I agree with many of the points in it.''

''List the the points in detail and tell me why you agree with them.''

It was kind of crazy.

I was watching that it was the weirdest line of questioning I've ever seen, he was being so vague about things to the point where I don't think he even knew what he was talking about.

She's doing the "I'm very clear" bit again. Is it really so hard for her to speak without resorting to the same phrases over and over?

The manner in which she resorts to such speech is telling; she is the least comfortable person in any room with regards to this election. She doesn't really want to be here anymore. Any chance of a glorious victory is (seemingly) slipping away as more and more of her own party distance themselves from her, whilst momentum is building around Labour, SNP and the LDs amongst the new generations of voters, so even in defeat, these parties will regain more seats, and more support this next decade.

And what does she win? The honour of being shafted in the Brexit negotiations and her name forever being tied to them, because she would be the democratically elected Prime Minister. Before the election, she still could've said in hindsight the job was forced on her from Cameron, but now, she's gonna be the one universally hated if deals fall through. And it's all starting to really sink in now.

I was watching that it was the weirdest line of questioning I've ever seen, he was being so vague about things to the point where I don't think he even knew what he was talking about.

A blunder from Abbott would have played very nicely right about now.

I'm impressed she didn't give them one.

With both Farron and Strugeon here, I feel Nick Robinson is egging on the crowd a bit at times here regardless if it pulls a good response from either of them, which I feel is disrespectful.

The manner in which she resorts to such speech is telling; she is the least comfortable person in any room with regards to this election. She doesn't really want to be here anymore. Any chance of a glorious victory is (seemingly) slipping away as more and more of her own party distance themselves from her, whilst momentum is building around Labour, SNP and the LDs amongst the new generations of voters, so even in defeat, these parties will regain more seats, and more support this next decade.

And what does she win? The honour of being shafted in the Brexit negotiations and her name forever being tied to them, because she would be the democratically elected Prime Minister. Before the election, she still could've said in hindsight the job was forced on her from Cameron, but now, she's gonna be the one universally hated if deals fall through. And it's all starting to really sink in now.

Ultimately it's her fault if there's no deal because of her insistence on things like no ECJ.

Pandy

Just quoting myself from the 25th of May here:
Have you SEEN the state of Scottish Labour recently? The SNP are more likely to support a Corbyn government than they are.
Those polls are too good. If it all goes to hell from here, I'm glad we've at least had this moment where we felt the impossible could happen. May deserves this for believing her own press and taking the electorate for granted. The election is too far away, though, to rule out a reversal.
because now some in the SNP have taken my cue:
and I wanted to note that my comments came before it was an SNP line, in case somebody accuses me of parroting SNP lines if it comes up again later in the thread.

Ahem.

In other news, time to prepare the It's Happening bunker:

New panic.

Imagine if the Tories don't win a majority, but Labour and the other parties refuse to form a proper pact/coalition and we end up with a minority Conservative government.

For all the shit that the Lib Dems got for the coalition, imagine the fallout for the other parties if that happened.

AHA-Lambda

Fuck, this is demoralising v_v

I can't believe that after all this shit that independence support is falling, and I say that as someone who voted no last time but would vote yes now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom