• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ultimately it's her fault if there's no deal because of her insistence on things like no ECJ.

Oh totally agree, if I take any schadenfreude from the failings of this nation's leadership over the last decade, it is in watching her crumble and break under the very weight she has put upon herself.

Speaking of schadenfreude, Stugeon taking strides here is rubbing Robinson up the wrong way.

Fuck, this is demoralising v_v

I can't believe that after all this shit that independence support is falling, and I say that as someone who voted no last time but would vote yes now.

Just wait till brexit sets in, there was always going to be a delay in independence support rising. When people realise how fucked up it will be I expect numbers to change very dramatically.

The linked video to Sadiq Khan on that Twitter page is damning in how the police officer standing next to him reacts when he talks about further cuts in the pipeline. The cameraman tries to cut her out of the shot...

jelly

I thought the fishing districts hated the SNP because of the fishing deal and Sturgeon says it's the Tories screwing it up and will do it again, true?

Faddy

Banned

I can't believe that after all this shit that independence support is falling, and I say that as someone who voted no last time but would vote yes now.

The baseline is still far higher than before the first IndyRef was called. Right now there is too much uncertainty over Brexit which has depressed soft voters.

If the SNP timetable is Spring 2019 for Article 30 then the earliest it would be is Autumn 2019. I wouldn't worry about polls right now, the majority in Holyrood is what matters.

Spaghetti

In other news, time to prepare the It's Happening bunker:
DBjO7vIXkAEWGaA.jpg:large
Hoo-boy.

Garjon

In other news, time to prepare the It's Happening bunker:

I'm waiting for a poll consensus that has it virtually neck-and-neck before I get even reasonably excited. And even then I'd expect a small Tory majority. Best keep the It's Happening bunker in the bubble-wrap for now.

Sordid

That's the boat I'm in but it looks like there are more people doing the opposite unfortunately. Still, wasn't support under 30% before the Indy Ref started in 2014? Pretty good that it's still hovering around 40% for now. When Brexit goes to shit I'm hoping support improves.

CD93

Neo Member
The linked video to Sadiq Khan on that Twitter page is damning in how the police officer standing next to him reacts when he talks about further cuts in the pipeline. The cameraman tries to cut her out of the shot...

That's the Met Commisioner, Cressida Dick, no less.

Faddy

Banned
I thought the fishing districts hated the SNP because of the fishing deal and Sturgeon says it's the Tories screwing it up and will do it again, true?

The SNP have never negotiate fishing policy with the EU. They tried to get in talks a few years ago but our fisheries minister was kicked out for some UK guy who didn't have a clue.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-29987193

Tories negotiated CFP and agreed to quotas. Countries outside the EU still follow quotas. Fishing is a lot like Brexit overall, there are grievances that aren't based in fact and getting out of Europe probably won't fix things to people's satisfaction.

Audioboxer

Fuck it!

If Salmond can manage to drag a YES vote up to 45% from the pretty low starting position, then Audioboxer can get out in the streets and drag us over the finish line this time around.

Sturgeon is better than Salmond, so another vote after Brexshit goes through will be mighty close. Good campaigning and it could be done. If this country cannot get Labour in charge with a manifesto as decent as Corbyn's and May is still fucking it all up in 3 years then a debate with our own people could be interesting. If we vote to carry on in the Brexit pity party and Tory reign then we deserve to be dragged along.

I have some older family who are honest about their love being Queen and Country. A lot of sentiment for the UK because of the World War and the country being a unit through these times. No matter what happens they do not want to see the UK broken up. I can say I "get that", but I also do not have that kind of sentiment for history. I'm personally more focussed on the future.

Labour and the Tories were neck and neck in final polling in 2015, just by the by. Don't get your hopes out too much and don't get complacent.

Pandy

The numbers are still way ahead of where the independence movement was at the beginning of the 2014 referendum campaign, and we still have no real solid information on what Brexit is going to look like.

If May lets it go to a 'no deal' Brexit, then I think the independence crowd will get a massive boost (and I think that's why May is refusing to talk about a referendum, because she expects no deal).

If the SNP and Lib Dems can cajole Corbyn into an EFTA deal, maybe the whole thing will indeed blow over for a few years. That would be the preferred option, as it does iScotland no good to have a neighbour to the South that has completely self-destructed its relationships in the region.

Audioboxer

What are the chances of labour converting SNP voters?

Pretty low given that hasn't been their aim. They've chased the Unionist vote, which they're losing to the Conservatives. Check the local elections for an insight to how the general election will go

ZC02RYy.png

Labour loses, Tory gains and the Tories managing to snatch seats from the SNP that the SNP won from Labour.

Pandy

I'm waiting for a poll consensus that has it virtually neck-and-neck before I get even reasonably excited. And even then I'd expect a small Tory majority. Best keep the It's Happening bunker in the bubble-wrap for now.

I know, I know.
If I was being serious I'd have photoshopped Corbyn onto that gif rather than just reference it.

Labour and the Tories were neck and neck in final polling in 2015, just by the by. Don't get your hopes out too much and don't get complacent.

but the polls back then were not as heavily adjusted i think? i heard the raw data has been showing a more massive swing towards labour but that has been adjusted because labour voters are younger

but the polls back then were not as heavily adjusted i think? i heard the raw data has been showing a more massive swing towards labour but that has been adjusted because labour voters are younger
I think it depends on the polls, YouGov seem to be more optimistic for Labour which as far as I know is partly because turnout isn't as heavily weighted.

TheChamp

New panic.

Imagine if the Tories don't win a majority, but Labour and the other parties refuse to form a proper pact/coalition and we end up with a minority Conservative government.

For all the shit that the Lib Dems got for the coalition, imagine the fallout for the other parties if that happened.

Im pretty sure that would automatically cause another election pretty quickly due to there being no fesable government and well it would be a absolute mess leading into crutial Brexit talks

Pandy

Hahaha!
The bit about the thermostats got me. It's so easy to imagine those guys getting just as excited about that.

If the UK leaves the EU then trade with ROI will be on EU terms and Barnier is saying they'll need to be a customs border with NI as well, trade may be affected in a bad way depending on the deal the EU sets out.

Scotland will be in the same boat with ROI if it leaves the UK and joins the EU and again trade may be affected in a bad way if EU tariffs are high. UK is not allowed to make a deal with ROI when it leaves the EU.

A workaround could be ROI and Scotland being just EEA/EFTA members

By the way, I'm all for Scotland getting to vote for independence after Brexit. I'm not trying to say Scotland is going to lose out, just saying trade is up in the air. Sturgeon seems to be implying trade with UK and ROI will be unaffected People in ROI talk a lot about the possibility and pros and cons of leaving and staying in the EU once UK leaves, some think ROI should follow.

Faddy

Banned
Honestly I think the tide is against the SNP ship right now.

I don't think that is true to any significant degree. They will lose a few seats but for the most part they are getting a free run across most of Scotland with only a few targeted seats being contested by another party.

I still think 50 is going to be about the number for the SNP.

I think the national campaign has been favourable for the SNP in Scotland with huge differences between Labour and Conservatives where as in Scotland they both stick dogmatically to independence. Traditional Labour voters might not be as keen to Theresa May as they are to vote for Cuddly Ruth.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Im pretty sure that would automatically cause another election pretty quickly due to there being no fesable government and well it would be a absolute mess leading into crutial Brexit talks
Naw, if Canada is any indication, a minority government works if the opposition isn't willing to trigger an election.

Rodelero

I don't think anyone (apart from a Conservative) is likely to be complacent right now, and ultimately, polling error cuts both ways. Labour may do better than the polling suggests. I'm inclined to be pessimistic also, but let's not imagine the Tories outdoing the polls is somehow guaranteed. The polling companies have, theoretically, adjusted since 2015 to try and account for the factors that lead them to being so wrong. They may get it right this time, they may over-adjust, they may have identified the wrong factors. It's not exactly impossible that some polls may underestimate just how well Corbyn invigorates the young.

The Conservatives have run an historically poor campaign and nothing seems to be stopping how dreadful they look day to day. I suspect they will hold on, maybe they'll even gain a few seats, but ... you just never know. Trump won against the odds. Brexit won against the odds. The Tories may well lose against the odds.

Faddy

Banned
If the UK leaves the EU then trade with ROI will be on EU terms and Barnier is saying they'll need to be a customs border with NI as well, trade may be affected in a bad way depending on the deal the EU sets out.

Scotland will be in the same boat with ROI if it leaves the UK and joins the EU and again trade may be affected in a bad way if EU tariffs are high. UK is not allowed to make a deal with ROI when it leaves the EU.

A workaround could be ROI and Scotland being just EEA/EFTA members

By the way, I'm all for Scotland getting to vote for independence after Brexit. I'm not trying to say Scotland is going to lose out, just saying trade is up in the air. Sturgeon seems to be implying trade with UK and ROI will be unaffected People in ROI talk a lot about the possibility and pros and cons of leaving and staying in the EU once UK leaves, some think ROI should follow.

That is Theresa May's position. I don't think and it is credible but Nicola Sturgeon isn't going to undermine it when she can boot the Tories with their different views between Ireland and an Independent Scotland.

TheChamp

Naw, if Canada is any indication, a minority government works if the opposition isn't willing to trigger an election.

Not even sure Conservatives would want that position, lireally nothing would get passed trying to deal with Europe with everything needing to go through parliment would be impossible

Audioboxer

Even The Guardian is ignoring Labour in Scotland, although as one would expect there is still distancing from indyref chat

The priority should be to thwart Theresa May’s ambitions for ongoing austerity and a version of Brexit customised to the ideological agenda of the Conservative party’s radical fringe. That requires enough Labour MPs to form an alternative government. In Scottish seats where Tory candidates run the race close, it means preferring the SNP. Mrs May called this election complacently assuming voters across the UK would vastly extend her mandate. Scottish and English voters might choose different ways to puncture that complacency, but its punishment is a common imperative across the union.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...cotland-a-chance-to-puncture-mays-complacency

CCS

Banned
Since we're on a football theme with the David Squires comics, can I propose we nick a rule from the r/reddevils transfer window policy and ban all use of the "itshappening" gif? :p

Faddy

Banned
Since we're on a football theme with the David Squires comics, can I propose we nick a rule from the r/reddevils transfer window policy and ban all use of the "itshappening" gif? :p

Your reverse-psychology isn't going to work on me. Find the gif yourself.

Audioboxer

This tweet, bloody hell, LOL

https://twitter.com/Yuckband (click the latest uploaded image)

Warning, NSFL. Although, no, it doesn't actually contain anything against the rules of GAF, arguably. I guess. Maybe. Unsure. lol. Would be the height of risky [image] tags though, so was I hell daring that!

This tweet, bloody hell, LOL

https://twitter.com/Yuckband (click the latest uploaded image)

Warning, NSFL. Although, no, it doesn't actually contain anything against the rules of GAF, arguably. I guess. Maybe. Unsure. lol. Would be the height of risky [image] tags though, so was I hell daring that!

Y'know, you go through a couple of weeks or months in your life, then something BAM comes along and reminds you:

David Cameron fucked a pig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom