• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

I'm trying to decipher the sentiment of Scottish Unionists voting for a conservative government they don't want to stop a second referendum. Isn't the point of having a second referendum that they get to vote No once more on that? To vote for a government that wants to actively harm them and disagrees with their ideals to prevent a democratic vote seems pretty strange.

Not even sure Conservatives would want that position, lireally nothing would get passed trying to deal with Europe with everything needing to go through parliment would be impossible
Most of the EU negotiations can be done by HM Government under the royal prerogative. Any change in domestic legislation and as a result the final deal will probably have to go through parliament, but in all likelihood there should be no problem for most of the negotiations, though laws would have to go through heavier scrutiny, and strong consensus will have to be reached on the nature of any necessary reforms. However, it does mean the PM needs to be more mindful of parliament when making the deal which you can spin as good or bad.

Audioboxer

I'm trying to decipher the sentiment of Scottish Unionists voting for a conservative government they don't want to stop a second referendum. Isn't the point of having a second referendum that they get to vote No once more on that? To vote for a government that wants to actively harm them and disagrees with their ideals to prevent a democratic vote seems pretty strange.

Most of the EU negotiations can be done by HM Government under the royal prerogative. Any change in domestic legislation and as a result the final deal will probably have to go through parliament but in all likelihood there should be no problem for most of the negotiations though laws would have to go through heavier scrutiny and strong consensus will have to be reached on the nature of the necessary reforms. However, it does mean the PM needs to be more mindful of parliament when making the deal which you can spin as good or bad.

There's a shred of fear a second indyref could just clinch it. Better to try and nuke the possibility than boldly be overconfident NO would win again. I mean does anyone against independence really want to have to go through another battle? I doubt it, even if they are confident. It's tiring, time-consuming and as I just said there's always the risk you lose.

It's not going to be blocked though, voting Tory is just symbolic. It is seen as the strongest message to the SNP and the rest of Scotland, so I can see why people are doing it. I do still find it hard to stomach the idea Labour voters are switching to Conservative, but, Scottish Labour is just that ineffective people feel they have little choice.

I'd rather people just stick with Labour, but they perceive it if they give Davidson some seats she can stand and shout "NO APPETITE!" and that will slay the SNP dragon. Really, the best way to try and stem the unrest is to have Corbyn and his manifesto voted in... *hint* /reversepsychologyaimedatConservativeEngland #voteLabourtosavetheunion

Pandy

Oh no. Willie Rennie is on my TV and I can't find the remote

edab04d7519ead88f5bc0ef600ab96a6.gif

pulsemyne

Labour and the Tories were neck and neck in final polling in 2015, just by the by. Don't get your hopes out too much and don't get complacent.

Yes but the polls have tried to take the shy tory effect into account this time. They are weighting themselves far more for the tories. The real mystery though is the youth vote. If it comes out in greater numbers than last time (which it will) and comes close to the referedum percentage then it spells trouble for the tories.

Audioboxer

My seat is even more Tory sided than yours.

I wish it was mine. Greg Knight seems like a boss.

Now, I'll just check his voting record to seal the deal.... https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/11026/greg_knight/east_yorkshire

Okay. The guys hates benefits, a proportional system and loves Trident. Also, generally voted against equal gay rights/gay marriage. Then finally, generally voted against laws to promote equality and human rights.

The dream is dead man, the dream is dead.

Who is this man?
Who does he work for?
Who else?
How much of a winner is he?
And how much is willing to do?

I wish it was mine. Greg Knight seems like a boss.

Now, I'll just check his voting record to seal the deal.... https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/11026/greg_knight/east_yorkshire

Okay. The guys hates benefits, a proportional system and loves Trident.

The dream is dead.

But it said he'd work hard for us! And he's a winner through and through.

Daemul

Survation phone poll has it 41.5% Con 40.4% Labour

And phone polls skew much more towards an older demographic, correct?

My hope is rising with every one of these polls, I'll soon be unable to keep it in check and will go full believer.

Also we're getting to the point where a normal sized polling error towards Labour could actually do it. That doesn't usually happen in the UK, but, it's a WEIRD TIME WE LIVE IN.

Addnan

Don't get excited guys. The heart break hurts every time. That kind of lead doesn't get overturned in 6 weeks.

General elections always feel so dead where I am, little to no campaigning by anyone. One of the safest Labour seats in the land.

WhatNXt

Don't get excited guys. The heart break hurts every time. That kind of lead doesn't get overturned in 6 weeks.

General elections always feel so dead where I am, little to no campaigning by anyone. One of the safest Labour seats in the land.

That's because that's not where he action is sadly. I'll be campaigning in Wirral West and Chester in the coming days. My home seat is a shoe in.

I'm not counting any chickens but I'd hate to wake up on Friday feeling like we didn't try. Find your nearest marginal. If people on the ground fight for it, there can be upsets.

jiggle

I remember this optimism from last time!

But like
Wouldn't labour just get the full blame from the inevitable fallout of eu know what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom