• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol what does this mean? Everyone I know up in Lancaster is Tory. I doubt they needed to bus people in.

I meant if you were meeting real locals and real voters, they wouldn't be wearing rosettes in a stage managed press event. Sure they might be local but I very much doubt they are ordinary people you would meet on the streets. She has every event stage managed, people no doubt heavily vetted, to the extent press have to notify questions in advance.

Jezbollah

So Diane Abbott is "unwell" and wont be on BBC Radio 4's "Womans Hour". This is the same show that saw Corbyn put on the spot and had him fumbling for his iPad.

It probably makes sense for Labour to avoid Abbott having another shocker, but it still doesnt look good.

Mr. Sam

It's because they don't have aleg to stand on. They can't blame the previous government for cuts, so they any talk about security shines a light on their past actions and their manifesto pledges.

I can't believe they're going with "Enough is enough" when the Prime Minister was the Home Secretary for six years. Yes, enough is enough - it was your fucking job!

Edit:

So Diane Abbott is "unwell" and wont be on BBC Radio 4's "Womans Hour". This is the same show that saw Corbyn put on the spot and had him fumbling for his iPad.

It probably makes sense for Labour to avoid Abbott having another shocker, but it still doesnt look good.

I hate to join in the gang beatdown on Abbott but she is a walking disaster. That the Tories mention her at every available opportunity shows they know she's basically the election equivalent of a glowing orange weakspot (and not, as some would have it, because they're trying to attract racist and misogynist voters).

I meant if you were meeting real locals and real voters, they wouldn't be wearing rosettes in a stage managed press event. Sure they might be local but I very much doubt they are ordinary people you would meet on the streets. She has every event stage managed, people no doubt heavily vetted, to the extent press have to notify questions in advance.

They just give out the rosettes to anyone attending. There's a photo somewhere of me meeting William Hague about 10 years ago (it was actually in Lancaster now I think about it!) and I'm wearing a blue rosette despite never being a member of the party.

As for them being ordinary people - yeah fair enough. I think just going to one of these events puts you in the non-normal category tbh.

liquidtmd

Banned

The same nasty bug she got when she was taken unwell the night of the vote in Parliament to trigger Art 50. no doubt..

God I detest the woman

I thought she looked completely unhappy last night, maybe struggling with her "issues" it's sad really, she was a real strong passionate MP, even if a bit controversial, until last couple of years.

Dougald

I'm still not sure someone like Corbyn could win a general election in this country, but I'm willing to admit that I was too harsh on him. He has run a very good campaign given the circumstances and has come across as someone who both knows his principles and is willing to stand by them.

I will be casting my tactical Lib Dem vote on Thursday with a twinge of regret that it couldn't be for that labour manifesto instead

danowat

Banned

Damage limitation, no point having her balls up all the good work Corbyn has done.

I'm still not sure someone like Corbyn could win a general election in this country, but I'm willing to admit that I was too harsh on him. He has run a very good campaign given the circumstances and has come across as someone who both knows his principles and is willing to stand by them.

I will be casting my tactical Lib Dem vote on Thursday with a twinge of regret that it couldn't be for that labour manifesto instead

If it's any consolation, I know a fair few Lib Dems and Greens in Cov that are holding their nose and voting Labour tactically.

They just give out the rosettes to anyone attending. There's a photo somewhere of me meeting William Hague about 10 years ago (it was actually in Lancaster now I think about it!) and I'm wearing a blue rosette despite never being a member of the party.

As for them being ordinary people - yeah fair enough. I think just going to one of these events puts you in the non-normal category tbh.

Yeah rosettes fair enough, I remember Douglas Hurd trying to stick one of those on my mum in Perth in 97. Suffice to say my mum wasn't impressed but when she told him no thanks in her own way, he took it in good spirits and I exchanged some banter with him. Now that sort of stuff I like, same with Major in 92, it was my first election and I was campaigning in Angus for Labour and I really liked his approach touring the streets just like Corbyn. I hate the stage managed crap.

Meadows

Banned
Yeah rosettes fair enough, I remember Douglas Hurd trying to stick one on my mum in Perth in 97. Suffice to say my mum wasn't impressed but when she told him no thanks in her own way, he took it in good spirits and I exchanged some banter with him. Now that sort of stuff I like, same with Major in 92, it was my first election and I was campaigning in Angus for Labour and I really liked his approach touring the streets just like Corbyn. I hate the stage managed crap.

I heard about that

Dougald

If it's any consolation, I know a fair few Lib Dems and Greens in Cov that are holding their nose and voting Labour tactically.

Got to be done. Normally I am pragmatic and don't care too much about a tactical vote, but the Labour campaign has really resonated with me this year (and the Lib Dem one has unusually fallen completely flat), so I'll be making my mark on the ballot with a heavier heart than usual.

Locally there is no contest though. The Lib Dem ground game here is fairly strong whereas Labours is almost non-existent.

Very true I grant you, but a sad state of affairs to have to hide your Shadow Home Secretary through fear she will invariably fuck up
Its not just the risk of her making some mistake, its also the harassment she gets, i mean hell we had an example yesterday people here mentioned that the interviewer was doing everything in their power to make Dianne slip up.

I think regardless of whether she deserves it or not, its clear that most news dont have any intention of playing fair with her. Also considering the complete double standards of how someone fudging their numbers this campaign has been covered its pretty disgusting by now:

Corbyn, Abbott 'OMG HOW CAN THEY DO THE JOB, THEY DIDNT KNOW A NUMBER OFF THE TOP OF THEIR HEAD OR GOT IT WRONG'

Multiple Tories being as wrong as £20b off ‘*Silence*

CCS

Banned
Who would have thought at the start of the campaign that security being the main talking point of the last few days would be likely to help Labour? Not me for one, I'm surprised and impressed.

Its not just the risk of her making some mistake, its also the harassment she gets, i mean hell we had an example yesterday people here mentioned that the interviewer was doing everything in their power to make Dianne slip up.

I think regardless of whether she deserves it or not, its clear that most news dont have any intention of playing fair with her. Also considering the complete double standards of how someone fudging their numbers this campaign has been covered:

Corbyn, Abbott 'OMG HOW CAN THEY DO THE JOB, THEY DIDNT KNOW A NUMBER OFF THE TOP OF THEIR HEAD OR GOT IT WRONG'

I mean, just this morning Boris Johnson gave an interview that was worse than any Dianne has given this election

He couldn't remember numbers either

liquidtmd

Banned

I think regardless of whether she deserves it or not, its clear that most news dont have any intention of playing fair with her. Also considering the complete double standards of how someone fudging their numbers this campaign has been covered its pretty disgusting by now:

Oh I get that entirely.

It's just Corbyn handles it so much better than Abbot. Corbyn not having the number to hand and reaching for his iPad was infinitely was palatable than Abbots excruciating handling of her same issue.

I'm always torn with Abbott. It's like, she is underprepared, not always giving great answers, and not as good at the spin she attempts. But the vilifying of her feels a lot more personal than that and it's wrapped up in a lot of nasty things with her looks, race, gender. Her competence is questioned a lot more than a bunch of male Tory MPs in cabinet...

But yes hopefully we're just in a holding state and she'll be reshuffled into an area she can settle into a bit better.

Par Score

If only the Election was on Wednesday.

Any chance Labour has is based on historically massive levels of youth turnout, and I just don't see them braving the sort of weather we'll have on Thursday. I know I wouldn't.

And I'm not talking about people being put off going out to vote, I'm talking about them being put off standing in hours of queues outside in the pouring rain.

Was it May or Rudd who didn't even know we gave money to North Korea?

If that was Labour, fucking hell would it be different.

I think it was May.

I mean either way, it's kinda bizarre. I could almost understand if it was a country that rarely features in geo-politics but surely someone, at some point, must have said " So...you know that X Million we send to North Korea?"....

I'm amazed at how inept Abbott has been in her media interactions given her TV experience - even with the caveat that they've clearly now got the scent of blood and aren't giving her the same latitude they give other interviewees. Too long spent on the comfy couch with Michael Portillo and Brillo Pad Neill?

I'm doing that down here in Reading. I even joined the Lib Dem party proper this year, but with this election in particular, there's no way I can in good conscience vote unless it's for the best chance at getting the Tories out of the seat. Not this year.

Who would have thought at the start of the campaign that security being the main talking point of the last few days would be likely to help Labour? Not me for one, I'm surprised and impressed.

It's brought May's record as Home Secretary into sharp relief, especially since it was two attacks in the time since she called for an election (which in this instance, is relatively short notice). People are looking at the reasons why, and a lot of current theories goes back to decisions she made personally (or is seen to have). Not just the Conservative party in general, but her specifically, so there's a much stronger association in even the average voter's mind of the impact to our security. If we had say... Boris Johnson as Prime Minister right now, I don't think it'd be as damaging to the Tory position overall.

Number45

Well, in all fairness, Corbyn is a populist who hasn't really had the opportunity to address the public yet. Most people's exposure to him was the paper's telling you to hate him or the classic Miliband 'he did a weird thing!' on the news. People have actually had to listen to him now, the Tories underestimated the public and their ability to hear someone out and its bitten them on the arse.
Did people have an issue with his policies, or his leadership of the party (through some admittedly turbulent times)? He's done an excellent job of bringing the policy front and centre this election, and that's clearly where he shines.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Jesus christ she barely looks awake in that Sky interview, who is letting her on TV? Have the Blairites kidnapped her and started wheeling her into studios?

I've been really impressed/surprised by a lot of the shadow cabinet but Diane Abbott has been so bad, I think I'd actually vote for Greg Knight over her.

Goodlife

Any chance Labour has is based on historically massive levels of youth turnout, and I just don't see them braving the sort of weather we'll have on Thursday. I know I wouldn't.

And I'm not talking about people being put off going out to vote, I'm talking about them being put off standing in hours of queues outside in the pouring rain.

You'd hope that it would effect the older vote more.
It won't, be you'd hope it would

Real Hero

Well that's pathetic then. Its the future of the country, get fucking wet

Juicy Bob

Criticism of Diane Abbot is legitimate and I understand it, but what I don't understand is why so many who are being most vocal about her perceived lack of competence seem to be OK with the behaviour of ACTUAL cabinet member Boris Johnson.

WhatNXt

That Guido tweet is.. Regrettable.

I think she's struggling with some kind of personal problem. She used to be a lot more fun and articulate in interviews, she's appeared distant and confused in all her recent appearances. The Dom Murnaghan (?) interview was horrible purely because it was obvious when she was pretending to know what he was on about. He actually could have given her a harder time but evidently he's got more humanity than some.

It's the right thing to keep her from high stress public appearances if she's genuinely "unwell".

If anything older people are less likely to venture out in the rain

Wvrs

You'd hope that it would effect the older vote more.
It won't, be you'd hope it would

Tory voters will get out of their deathbeds to vote. That said, the notion that rain negatively affects election turnout isn't supported by much evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom