• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasney

If only the Election was on Wednesday.

Any chance Labour has is based on historically massive levels of youth turnout, and I just don't see them braving the sort of weather we'll have on Thursday. I know I wouldn't.

And I'm not talking about people being put off going out to vote, I'm talking about them being put off standing in hours of queues outside in the pouring rain.

Fuck em then. I have a good, very stable job and my personal circumstances probably won't be affected no matter who is in power and I'm planning on leaving the country within 4 years. But if a little rain puts them off, they can deal with the consequences. I know I'm going out to vote even if the polling booth has lightning strike near it.

WhatNXt

If anything older people are less likely to venture out in the rain

You'd think that but I believe in prior elections the opposite has proven true.

I personally think that this time both sides are geared up enough to overcome the weather. It'll be on labour to get the vote out aggressively on Thursday. I'm going to be speaking to people all day and offering people a lift if they need it.

jelly

The security point is interesting, obvious proof the Tories have underfunded, cut numbers, possible bad policy in tackling extremism, soft touch?

However, Labour will back more police but here is the thing, is that enough, would a Corbyn government be tough on extremism beyond that, will they take the more Nordic approach of rehabilitation, I guess people would be up for any new approach since the Conservatives have failed. I think community is the right approach but also need a serious crackdown on hate speech.

Oh I know doesn't make it any less pathetic when 80 year old Doris will definitely brave the storm to give May her vote despite it giving her pneumonia

She'll have posted it anyway

Well at least her son will have sent it off for that nice Theresa woman who says she'll help those with dementia won't she, oh that's nice

Jezbollah

DBoK0wKXoAEv-ew.jpg

If this photo is legit she was literally at the Radio 4 studios before being pulled.

The Manchester police officer personally warning May 2 years ago that her cuts would increase the risk of terror attacks in the city is a pretty big dealbreaker. She can't even deny that she didn't hear it.

I bring that and her cuts up quite often.

liquidtmd

Banned
If this photo is legit she was literally at the Radio 4 studios before being pulled.

Maybe she thought it was be more believable if she did her sickie voice in a public place to skive for the day

"No Jeremy...it's...just...a 24 hour thing I'm...sure. I told you in the office yesterday I felt a bit funny"

Who knows. Strange days. Don't think it would be done lightly

PJV3

I'm sure we all know the real reasons for her problems, I'm not terribly happy about people photographing her in public and diagnosing her.

crayman

What's with all the 'queuing up in the rain' comments? I've literally never had to queue up to vote, and even if I did it wouldn't have been in the rain as the polling stations are indoors in schools and churches.

I guess it might be because I go before work (8am or so), and theres only ever been 2-3 other people there at that time in the various west London polling stations I've been to.

PJV3

What the fuck does "not seeming very unwell" even mean. This is disgusting.

It's one of those magic cameras, it can also tell if someone really needs to use a food bank.

I'm not sure how to handle the Abbott situation, she's the shadow home secretary and deserves scrutiny, if she has a problem the labour team should just deal with it more openly.

Par Score

This sort of shit is infuriating.

There are a great many health issues with sudden onsets, and even more that present no outward symptoms.

I make no comment about the particular circumstances in this case, but stuff like this perpetuates extremely unhelpful attitudes around mental health issues, non-obvious or sporadic disabilities, etc.

Jezbollah

I just did a quick look at various cities and their weather forecast for Thursday:

Glasgow: cloudy morning, rain afternoon + evening. Max 16c
Edinburgh: cloudy morning, cloudy afternoon, rain evening. 13c
Belfast: cloudy morning, rain afternoon, cloudy evening. 16c
Newcastle: cloudy morning, rain afternoon, rain evening. 15c
Leeds: rain morning, rain afternoon, storms evening. 18c
Liverpool: rain all day. 17c
Birmingham: rain all day. 17c
Swansea: rain all day. 16c
Exeter: rain all day. 18c
Norwich cloudy morning + afternoon, rain evening. 18c
London: cloudy morning, rain afternoon, cloudy evening. 20c
Brighton: cloudy morning, rain afternoon, cloudy evening. 17c

Par Score

What's with all the 'queuing up in the rain' comments? I've literally never had to queue up to vote, and even if I did it wouldn't have been in the rain as the polling stations are indoors in schools and churches.

I guess it might be because I go before work (8am or so), and theres only ever been 2-3 other people there at that time in the various west London polling stations I've been to.

When turnout is high, people end up queuing outside.

Just because something hasn't happened to you, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. It's also less of an issue with low turnout elections like 2005 and 2015, but if we get that level of turnout then Tories will get a 100+ seat majority.

I just did a quick look at various cities and their weather forecast for Thursday:

Weaver Vale (Tory majority 800): Rain, rain, heavy rain, heavy rain, rain, heavy rain. 17c. 12mph southerly wind.

No fucker under 60 is queuing up in that. Tory Hold.

Meadows

Banned
I'm sorry, but questioning whether there's something going on with our potential future Home Sec just 3 days before an election isn't "disgusting".

If this was Amber Rudd you'd be demanding that the Cons pull the plug on her or fess up to the truth.

Jezbollah

I'm sorry, but questioning whether there's something going on with our potential future Home Sec just 3 days before an election isn't "disgusting".

If this was Amber Rudd you'd be demanding that the Cons pull the plug on her or fess up to the truth.

I'm inclined to agree - this says more over Labour's confidence in Abbott than Abbott herself. I'd be pretty pissed off if I was travelling to an interview and was literally there before being told "nah" by the people you're trying to represent.

danowat

Banned

Glasgow: cloudy morning, rain afternoon + evening. Max 16c
Edinburgh: cloudy morning, cloudy afternoon, rain evening. 13c
Belfast: cloudy morning, rain afternoon, cloudy evening. 16c
Newcastle: cloudy morning, rain afternoon, rain evening. 15c
Leeds: rain morning, rain afternoon, storms evening. 18c
Liverpool: rain all day. 17c
Birmingham: rain all day. 17c
Swansea: rain all day. 16c
Exeter: rain all day. 18c
Norwich cloudy morning + afternoon, rain evening. 18c
London: cloudy morning, rain afternoon, cloudy evening. 20c
Brighton: cloudy morning, rain afternoon, cloudy evening. 17c

Yay, the Great British Summer

Mr. Sam

I distinctly remember walking about two miles in the pissing rain for the EU referendum. I think my shoes are still wet. Fat lot of good that did.

My 137 yr old grand mother was proud that day.

And a cheer went up from the people of Britain. They had banished the awful European Union forever - because it was haunted. Now let's all celebrate with a cool glass of turnip juice.

Can't wait for the bring a pen brigade to show up on Facebook and Twitter on Thursday.

Don't forget everyone bring a pen to combat election fraud.

"I've seen the counters using their erasers on the ballot papers!!!!"

Anyone taking part in election duties this Thurs? Poll clerk, presiding officer, counting etc... ?

PJV3

I think you can do it without pretending to be a doctor who can diagnose people using just eyesight, just say it was obviously a very last minute change and ask Corbyn very direct questions about it.

*Splinter

0 chance that Abbott will be Home Sec. If you want to criticise Labour for not making that official then fair enough, but we all know Abbott won't be home sec on June 9th - didn't she even say as much herself in her latest interview?

I'm inclined to agree - this says more over Labour's confidence in Abbott than Abbott herself. I'd be pretty pissed off if I was travelling to an interview and was literally there before being told "nah" by the people you're trying to represent.
I must have missed it, where was this reported?

Meadows

Banned
I think you can do it without pretending to be a doctor who can diagnose people using just eyesight, just say it was obviously a very last minute change and ask Corbyn very direct questions about it.

No, I agree, people talking about her having whatever illness is ridiculous, but there is something going on, whether medical or not, and discussion of its impact on her ability to do her (potential) job is fair game.

The personal side of it is not. We shouldn't have malice towards her in these discussions, it's an awful situation, but unfortunately a great degree of the hatred towards Abbott does come from racism.

My view on her has always been the same, I don't think she could be a Home Sec even if she doesn't have private issues going on, but it is also true that she is offered a much lower degree of slack because of her race and gender.

0 chance that Abbott will be Home Sec. If you want to criticise Labour for not making that official then fair enough, but we all know Abbott won't be home sec in June 9th - didn't she even say as much herself in her latest interview?

I mean you say that but she's standing as their Shadow Home Sec so you can't really have a go at people for thinking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom