• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly have no idea how the vote goes (coming from someone who predicted Brexit and Trump).

I would have anticipated a Tory landslide a few werks back, but tge more I think about it, I reckon a lot of the angry Brexiteers might stay home, which might give a chance for Labour to close the gap. Only, I dont think Corbyn taps succesfully into the popular zeitgeist, or is pro Europe enough to attract the Remain camp.

Maybe a Tory majority of 30?

Meadows

Banned
Nate Silver has shown that polling for the UK is especially awful and, variance is massive.

I love 538 but I do think that they've chickened out somewhat - calling out all the predictions that people are making but then not doing their own because they don't think that there is enough data out there.

Their 2015 predictions were way off.

I honestly have no idea how the vote goes (coming from someone who predicted Brexit and Trump).

I would have anticipated a Tory landslide a few werks back, but tge more I think about it, I reckon a lot of the angry Brexiteers might stay home, which might give a chance for Labour to close the gap. Only, I dont think Corbyn taps succesfully into the popular zeitgeist, or is pro Europe enough to attract the Remain camp.

Maybe a Tory majority of 30?

We've come a long way since this thing was announced. All of me, Crab, QuicheFontaine and mo60 predicted a Conservative majority north of 200. Crab and QuicheFontaine gave the Tories over 400 seats!

I'm so glad I'm seeing pessimistic predictions in this thread. NEogaf is my echo chamber and seeing the users getting excited about the closing polls would ultimately lead to a bigger disappointment.

I'm not clued up enough to do a full party prediction. I do however expect a small increase in the Tory majority. In fact I would say this is my preferred outcome. I don't want a labour government anywhere near the fallout of brexit.

We need to stick it out another 5 years, stay true to the policies in the manifesto and we can smash the tories in the next election. I'm playing the long game.

Spuck-uk

Banned
I love 538 but I do think that they've chickened out somewhat - calling out all the predictions that people are making but then not doing their own because they don't think that there is enough data out there.

I sort of saw it as an admission of failure on their own previous efforts, but it's an interesting read to see just HOW wrong polls have had the GE and Brexit results here.

kmag

They're an aggregator. All the fancy models in the world don't work when data set itself is poor.

Meadows

Banned
They're an aggregator. All the fancy models in the world don't work when data set itself is poor.

I know but their involvement in UK politics is just basically slagging off our pollsters for a few weeks and then not saying anything for years until the next election.

I guess they are US-based but their skills could be used so much around the world, I love love love their content.

Mr. Sam

Fun hypothetical time:

Hung Parliament (and it turns out Jeremy Corbyn can heal leprosy as an added bonus) and Labour can mathematically hold a majority with the help of the SNP, the Greens, Plaid, and the Lib Dems. What do each of the parties ask for in return?

Meadows

Banned
Fun hypothetical time:

Hung Parliament (and it turns out Jeremy Corbyn can heal leprosy as an added bonus) and Labour can mathematically hold a majority with the help of the SNP, the Greens, Plaid, and the Lib Dems. What do each of the parties ask for in return?

Stuff that is so pie in the sky that it could never reasonably actioned. If for some reason they managed to find a way to come to an agreement, it would have a shelf life of a year max and then the Tories would come in and dick slam them at an election.

I don't really see where they go from here if they don't increase their seats a substantial amount.

Alright, I can sort of answer that:

1. The return of the decapitated LD top brass - Cable/Swinson/Davey/Hughes and a few others - could seriously help with visibility. Cable especially is well-known.
2. With UKIP collapsed, the BBC has more time for England's third party, probably leading to more visibility there, too.
3. Brexit is going to be very hard and the public are totally unprepared. Whatever happens, negative sentiment is likely.
4. Despite the net loss in seats, the LD vote was seriously up at council level in May. Outside of a GE year the LDs could be looking at a few years of consistently good local election results - again improving visibility.
5. Tim Farron sticks on as leader for the next five years, so the public by-and-large know who he is and have seen him enough times to not be throwing their vote in the dark.

Plus being seven years out from the Coalition. Time does heal wounds.

Alternatively, we get drubbed on Thursday and Brexit isn't a disaster, and we sort of muddle around for a decade before getting our act together.

I do want to stress though - the party has been through this apocalypse once before, after the merger. We fought back, clung on in 1992 and returned a result that set the LDs on course for a return to government. It'll happen again.

If there was a significant block of defections, I'd prefer to have the overall block be called "The Democrats" or something and still have the Liberal Democrat party as a sovereign thing. But I'd be unwilling to carry on with the Lib Dem name if the party changed to accomodate a lot of new, not necessarily capital L liberal, people.

Ok, so to accommodate any defectors from other parties. I don't really think you would get any, but that would make sense in such a hypothetical scenario. But a name change is the least important part of such a process to accommodate these people. What associated changes in policy would you propose?

Question: If an elderly send in a postal vote in advance, then died before voting day, would their vote count?

That sounded more ominous than I wanted. Just saw that a friends grandad died recently and since I've been spending time in this thread the question just jumped into my head.

Conservative Party seats: 362
Green Party seats: 1
Labour seats: 214
Lib Dem seats: 5
Plaid Cymru seats: 3
SNP seats: 47
UKIP seats: 0
Independently held seats: 0
Seats held by other parties: 18

BONUS:
Labour wipe-out in Scotland? No
More Conservative votes than Labour in Scotland? Yes
More Conservative seats than Labour in Wales?* No
The Portillo award goes to..? I’m Sorry I’m Sorry It’s Nick Clegg I’m Sorry
First resignation of the night? Angus
How many party leaders will resign? 1
Seat for Nuttall? LOL NO
Margin of victory by seats: 148
Margin of victory by votes: 3,000,000

I used http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/ and some tweaking to help figure out numbers. If you use it, make sure you stick on the option to make some guesses for Scotland otherwise you end up leaving it as is really which we all know is unlikely.

Meadows

Banned

Meadows

Banned
Conservative Party seats: 362
Green Party seats: 1
Labour seats: 214
Lib Dem seats: 5
Plaid Cymru seats: 3
SNP seats: 47
UKIP seats: 0
Independently held seats: 0
Seats held by other parties: 18

BONUS:
Labour wipe-out in Scotland? No
More Conservative votes than Labour in Scotland? Yes
More Conservative seats than Labour in Wales?* No
The Portillo award goes to..? I’m Sorry I’m Sorry It’s Nick Clegg I’m Sorry
First resignation of the night? Angus
How many party leaders will resign? 1
Seat for Nuttall? LOL NO
Margin of victory by seats: 148
Margin of victory by votes: 3,000,000

I used http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/ and some tweaking to help figure out numbers. If you use it, make sure you stick on the option to make some guesses for Scotland otherwise you end up leaving it as is really which we all know is unlikely.

No speaker for the house?

Question: If an elderly send in a postal vote in advance, then died before voting day, would their vote count?

That sounded more ominous than I wanted. Just saw that a friends grandad died recently and since I've been spending time in this thread the question just jumped into my head.
So what your saying is kill all the old and nullify the majority of the Conservatives votes?

How dare you suggest such things?!
we gonna need a lot more people to get things done lol

Ok, so to accommodate any defectors from other parties. I don't really think you would get any, but that would make sense in such a hypothetical scenario. But a name change is the least important part of such a process to accommodate these people. What associated changes in policy would you propose?

I'd propose a simplification of our policy - we'd advocate re-joining the EU, reforming government, investing heavily in the NHS, social care and education.

I'd also use it as an opportunity for a new generation to take up the fight. We could do with a 30-something person with their head screwed on like Macron.

The core of it though would be to facilitate bringing on new voters - scrapping the wooly "nerd" Lib Dem image and really putting fire into the campaigning moving forwards.

gngf123

Just had an old man post another conservative party leaflet through my door. The third one in the last couple of weeks. Seems they are pushing really hard here for some reason. It's normally a labour safe seat but I guess they feel like it's up for grabs.

They seem to be taking a new direction too. "Do you think Corbyn as PM can't happen?" with comparisons to surprise Trump and Brexit wins.

Theonik

Fun hypothetical time:

LD: Voting Reform, free voting on Brexit deal, commitment to work towards staying in the single market.
SNP: Indyref 2 at the discretion of the Scottish parliament. Protect the rights of Scots in Brexit. Single Market maybe. Voting reform.
Greens: Single Market. Commitments in law for Paris Agreement. More power to local councils. Voting reform.
Plaid: More devolution for Wales.

Uzzy

Fun hypothetical time:

2nd Referendum, Quinoa in free school meals, Dragons on the Union Flag and the Schulze method being adopted for elections.

Just had an old man post another conservative party leaflet through my door. The third one in the last couple of weeks. Seems they are pushing really hard here for some reason. It's normally a labour safe seat but I guess they feel like it's up for grabs.

They seem to be taking a new direction too. "Do you think Corbyn as PM can't happen?" with comparisons to surprise Trump and Brexit wins.

Had somebody post a conservative leaflet through the door the other day. I just calmly opened the door and handed it back.

WhatNXt

I'd propose a simplification of our policy - we'd advocate re-joining the EU, reforming government, investing heavily in the NHS, social care and education.

I'd also use it as an opportunity for a new generation to take up the fight. We could do with a 30-something person with their head screwed on like Macron.

The core of it though would be to facilitate bringing on new voters - scrapping the wooly "nerd" Lib Dem image and really putting fire into the campaigning moving forwards.

There's nothing wrong with Tim Farron as a leader. If he were part of a higher polling party like Labour, I have a feeling he would be very very popular. His performances recently have done him great credit too.

The problems you face are a media that prefer polarising scenarios and FPTP, cajoling everyone in to a difficult decision between multiple progressive parties - effectively ensuring a two horse race. Limited media coverage ensures people like me don't actually know who Lib Dems in the periphery are as well. The SNP probably enjoy greater mindshare at the moment. Peoples ears pricked up because of indyref, and young prospects like Mhairi Black brought a fire to the working class cause at a time when Labour opposition was lacking. With the ConDem coalition not being so long ago in the national memory, I think Farron has done well to stem the bleeding and rehabilitate the party's image, but it was always too early to massively increase their share in this election cycle. I thought Farron was right to point out that the SNP went from something like 6 seats to Holyrood Dominance... if the circumstances are right it can happen.

All you can really do is campaign for what you believe in.

Our electoral system needs serious reform. Not the gerrymandering and spread of FPTP to other elections that the Conservatives currently propose.

Khoryos

Coincidentally, Labour have begun posting the exact same leaflets dyed red through the doors of student accommodation.

LD: Voting Reform, free voting on Brexit deal, commitment to work towards staying in the single market.

Corbyn would be suicidal to give LDs voting reform. We'd jump as soon as the legislation passed and get a GE called then and there.

All those hard-nosed Labour supporters in unwinnable LD/Con seats being able to put us down as the 2nd preference... such would be the dream. He'd be guaranteeing Lib Dems as permanent king makers.

Audioboxer

Moray deserves to be a genuine nuke zone if they oust Robertson and put in a Tory (Ross). I understand it's the place all the papers and polls are doing their sabre rattling but I think Angus can hold on. He's one of the best voices in London, so as I said, if Moray put him out they deserve to be nuked into austerity and irrelevance. The Brexit result there is already bad enough.

The swing Ross needs is fairly decent. It would require SNP voters to go to Tory as well as what little is left of Labour.

So what your saying is kill all the old and nullify the majority of the Conservatives votes?

How dare you suggest such things?!
we gonna need a lot more people to get things done lol

Well I have been wondering about getting a CRISPR and creating virus that only targets people with significantly shortened telomeres and with a shelf life of say, ten years before it self destructs.

Wait er, I mean, er, I LOVE OLD PEOPLE. THEY'RE GREAT.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member

Get that leaflet checked for anthrax residue.

Meadows

Banned
Moray deserves to be a genuine nuke zone if they oust Robertson and put in a Tory (Ross). I understand it's the place all the papers and polls are doing their sabre rattling but I think Angus can hold on. He's one of the best voices in London, so as I said, if Moray put him out they deserve to be nuked into austerity and irrelevance. The Brexit result there is already bad enough.

The swing Ross needs is fairly decent. It would require SNP voters to go to Tory as well as what little is left of Labour.

yeah but you pinko hippy fucks will get rid of our trident so we can't even do that

bants

WhatNXt

Corbyn would be suicidal to give LDs voting reform. We'd jump as soon as the legislation passed and get a GE called then and there.

All those hard-nosed Labour supporters in unwinnable LD/Con seats being able to put us down as the 2nd preference... such would be the dream. He'd be guaranteeing Lib Dems as permanent king makers.

It would be the right thing to do though. I know it would increase vote shares for other parties across the board, but that would be better representative of how people feel, and of what people want to see. Whoever brought in a more representative electoral system would reap rewards out of respect alone.

Of course, we'd probably first have to overcome something like the AV referendum. It was a flawed option, but a depressing reminder that people fear the unknown and find great comfort in the status quo.

Audioboxer

yeah but you pinko hippy fucks will get rid of our trident so we can't even do that

bants

Quite honestly I'll settle for backing out of contributing to funding it and sending it 'down the river' to sit somewhere near London!

I'm sure the Nuclear Nine will feel safer with it much nearer to their homes.

Get the whisky out first!

That reminds me, I should buy a bottle of something nice for Thursday night.

Theonik

Corbyn is probably the closest the LD will ever get to voting reform since I actually would think he'd be for it. But it would be a new referendum not the government's doing. Also the fixed parliaments act might keep a new election at bay. Though as you know all it would take is a 2 week period without a new government after no confidence to trigger it anyway.

gngf123

Of course, we'd probably first have to overcome something like the AV referendum. It was a flawed option, but a depressing reminder that people fear the unknown and find great comfort in the status quo.

Until Brexit happened, I would have believed this.

Dreams of hope and something better can really catch people. Even if it's based on lies.

Spuck-uk

Banned

We don't have the runoff system that would allow a Macron anywhere near the PM position. I mean, I prefer the French system, but it's not what we have.

I live in Perth and I'm getting Conservative flyers almost daily - they're really gunning for this seat - this is a (small "c") conservative place though: a lot of Tweed-wearing older folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom