• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

I think I'm ready for bold action. I will have a shot every time CON gains a seat. Now Labour has to win otherwise I suspect I'll need to be in the A&E*.

*If May doesn't abolish them until then

CCS

Banned
I think I'm ready for bold action. I will have a shot every time CON gains a seat. Now Labour has to win otherwise I suspect I'll need to be in the A&E*.

Strong and stable liver functioning.

Pandy

So...I was wary of posting this as it could be absolute bollocks, so PLEASE keep in mind that this could be a load of shit - but the language in it is quite realistic.

https://twitter.com/SINON_REBORN

This could be a big problem for Labour this close to an election.

I think it's possibly real, because if it was fake it would probably have Abbott saying something incriminating, which it doesn't. All the incriminating sounding stuff comes from his end.
The post about the Evening Standard thing is weird though, because that was public knowledge hours before he posted it, so it's odd he's trying to sell it as news.

She's gone after the election either way.

Meadows

Banned
If she'd have agreed to lying about her condition I think it would be worse, but on the face of it it, even in a successful entrapment - it sounds like she was uncomfortable with saying anything false, and is in fact not well / not up to facing the media.

The more pertinent attack that could be gleaned from it is that she was gullible enough to reply and couldn't be trusted with high office for such a reason.

Does he/she just spoof emails and fool his way in to peoples confidence or does he actually break in to accounts? First time I'm hearing of this

Edit: 1 month old twitter account IS a red flag

He has similar stuff against Mark Carney as well

https://www.ft.com/content/d932b4e4-e378-38d4-bb38-527d3b783e73

I think there's a good chance this is real having done some digging.

flattie

Just watched the Sky interview with Diane Abbot from yesterday. Ouch. Interviewer was clearly dragging it out more than it needed to be, but she really should have been able to respond to the questions he was asking. Particularly as she could be Home Secretary in a few days.

Audioboxer

Yeah I'm fully braced for a 100+ Tory majority.

qKh1SIa.gif

Time to bring anime back into the thread again. Speaking of Tory voters I actually have some young ones in work. That is worthy of despair.

Pandy

If I wasn't working early on Friday I'd play along with this.

Scottish NHS FTW

WhatNXt

Limit it to seats they win in Scotland. Have yourself a good time.

When the exit polls come in, we can all consider chasing down a bunch of happy pills with as much alcohol as possible.

kmag

Just spoke to my high falutin mates in Scottish Labour (hey I went to school with one of them), they're a bit removed from the UK party business but that pretty much ties in with what they've heard. They're both pretty New Labour though so I imagine if that faction is spreading it, that's who they'll be getting from.

Their words "there's no breakthrough, a Tory majority of 50 would be a 'good night'"

I don't think those emails reflect badly on Diane, she seems like she wants to be honest etc.

The ghouls in the comments tagging everyone is cringe. All the Yer Da's tagging Katie Hopkins in anything they don't like these days is twitters worst part.

Horsefly

Just spoke to my high falutin mates in Scottish Labour (hey I went to school with one of them), they're a bit removed from the UK party business but that pretty much ties in with what they've heard. They're both pretty New Labour though so I imagine if that faction is spreading it, that's who they'll be getting from.

Their words "there's no breakthrough, a Tory majority of 50 would be a 'good night'"

Genuine question - how would people INSIDE a political party have more of an insight than pollsters and the like?

Chinner

Banned
I'm deciding which one of them to eat when the revolution comes.
It'll never come. We will continue to hate the EU. We will continue to accept immigrants because we don't put the investment in to train our children, so we will continue to have immigrants.

Everything will get worse but nothing will change.

AHA-Lambda

Fuck me this thread is depressing

Spaghetti

It'll never come. We will continue to hate the EU. We will continue to accept immigrants because we don't put the investment in to train our children, so we will continue to have immigrants.

Everything will get worse but nothing will change.
I'm still taking a bite out of Boris.

Bet he tastes like a honey roasted ham.

flattie

Genuine question - how would people INSIDE a political party have more of an insight than pollsters and the like?

They don't.

The lesson from the last few big elections (here and abroad) is that there's very little reason to give much weight to anything anybody says when it comes to predictions.

It'll be what it'll be and we'll all know on Friday.

Audioboxer

I'm deciding which one of them to eat when the revolution comes.

I've been saying for a while now, the revolution for Scotland is to vote YES >_>

Pls rUK, allow your hate to eat the Union alive and encourage us to bugger off. Then, move on up here once we leave! I do not think we'll be able to fit the whole of rUK Labour voters up here, but we can try!

Fuck me this thread is depressing

If the tories win then I give up caring about our country. When the NHS and our other public services fall into disrepute, I just won't care. I'll continue to help volunteering at after school clubs, I'll continue to volunteer helping the homeless and spend my money and time helping Andy Burnham to eradicate homelessness in Manchester by 2020. But apart from that, this country is not something I am passionate or care about changing anymore.

Xun

If the tories win then I give up caring about our country. When the NHS and our other public services fall into disrepute, I just won't care. I'll continue to help volunteering at after school clubs, I'll continue to volunteer helping the homeless and spend my money and time helping Andy Burnham to eradicate homelessness in Manchester by 2020. But apart from that, this country is not something I am passionate or care about changing anymore.
I've felt this way since 2015.

Last year truly cemented my thoughts though.

I'm out of here as soon as I can be.

Theonik

Strong and stable liver functioning.
Alcoholition of Chaos.

lol you absolute madman
All labour has to do is do well! I believe!

If I wasn't working early on Friday I'd play along with this.

Scottish NHS FTW
LET'S DO THIS.

Limit it to seats they win in Scotland. Have yourself a good time.

When the exit polls come in, we can all consider chasing down a bunch of happy pills with as much alcohol as possible.
Nah gotta go all in.

One candidate said that while the vote will hold up in the metropolitan areas of London, Leeds, Manchester and Liverpool, it is falling away elsewhere and Labour is likely to lose swathes of seats in northeast England, the Midlands, Yorkshire, and across the Pennine hills.
(From the Bloomberg link.)

That's exactly what I would expect following the council election and mayoral results last month - Labour consolidating its support in the cities, while the Tories advance across England outside them. I wonder if there's not a real chance that Corbyn will beat Miliband's share of the vote but win fewer seats due to its increased concentration in London, Manchester, Birmingham etc.

Par Score

Sorry, the Guardian live blog described them as the most accurate

Well, you know what the Grauniad are like.

Also nice of them to throw their pollsters ICM under the bus like that, it was all margin of error stuff among most of the (wildly inaccurate) pollsters.

King_Moc

Banned

It's very difficult to keep caring about people. I live in a working class town with relatively low pay that votes tory consistently. It's maddening. On the plus side, I'm doing alright, but it's just so hard to give a shit about others when they're literally doing it to themselves.

Ok I'm watching the Conservative Party Political Broadcast and Theresa May just said "exachtly"

Seriously they couldn't be bothered to go back and do another take?

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
It's very difficult to keep caring about people. I live in a working class town with relatively low pay that votes tory consistently. It's maddening. On the plus side, I'm doing alright, but it's just so hard to give a shit about others when they're literally doing it to themselves.
Tfw you understand now how Tories feel.
Tfw you are Tory now.

Ok I'm watching the Conservative Party Political Broadcast and Theresa May just said "exachtly"

Seriously they couldn't be bothered to go back and do another take?

They couldn't be bothered to cost their manifesto, what makes you think they are about quality control?

Edit: If Labour get in, can we have a Seal of Quality from Nintendo on the Union Jack?

CCS

Banned
Thinking about that cities/non city split kinda hammers home the point that the split isn't really working class/middle class any more. It's lives in cities (and broadly tolerant) v doesn't live in cities (and are largely intolerant)

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Thinking about that cities/non city split kinda hammers home the point that the split isn't really working class/middle class any more. It's lives in cities (and broadly tolerant) v doesn't live in cities (and are largely intolerant)

we America now

Spaghetti

He's currently hosting six simultaneous rallies over satellite from Birmingham. Interested in how many people will be attending the remote ones.
Oh fuck, where's he doing the speech from?

I just got into Birmingham by train and saw a gathering of people down near Millennium Point/proposed HS2 site.

If that's where he is... he drew a decent crowd.

Had my final driving lesson today. Instructor is having an operation in a week on private because he would have to wait an entire year for an NHS operation. Voting Tory.

hohoXD123

May prepared to change human rights laws to tackle terrorism

I mean longer prison sentences for people convicted of terrorist offences. I mean making it easier for the authorities to deport foreign terror suspects to their own countries.

And I am mean doing more to restrict the freedom and the movements of terrorist suspects when we have enough evidence to know they present a threat, but not enough evidence to prosecute them in full in court.
May says she also wants to impose controls on terror suspects against whom it is not thought there is enough evidence to bring a prosecution.

She says that, if human rights laws disallow that, she will change those laws.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2017/jun/06/general-election-2017-security-farron-knee-jerk-response-politics-live

Theresa May going after human rights laws again, this time using the London Bridge/Manchester tragedies to justify it....

Oh fuck, where's he doing the speech from?

I just got into Birmingham by train and saw a gathering of people down near Millennium Point/proposed HS2 site.

If that's where he is... he drew a decent crowd.

I think he's speaking from Birmingham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom