• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love how papers are still touting this as an election for May rather than the Conservatives; only serves to weaken the Tory vote after her election performance.

sammex

DBq420mWAAApIs-.jpg

It's all so predictable. Must try harder 6/10.

The Sadiq Kahn video he has been pedalling lately is one of the most dangerous things I've ever seen. Zac Goldsmith's attacks were iffy, but this is something else. It appears to tie him directly to 9/11 and ISIS. Kahn did have a history as a human rights lawyer that meant he has represented people that have said shitty things or later went on to preach awful things, but to propagandise against him and make a sitting politician guilty by association, in this kind of climate - is very very dangerous. Tommy is the kind of person who would love to drive us down the path of Fox News-like Glenn Beck media hysterics.

I said it earlier.

In the eyes of some people, Khan can do no right.

He's pro LGBT, he's pro public safety, he's pro London nightlife, he's pro environment...

And yet he's still treated by some as if he's a radical.

Why?

I'd say that's pretty obvious and I'd only hope that one day people wake up and realise the utter shit that's being peddled.

Ac30

Maybe they both came with a free hard drink?

I had a BA flight before that and already got myself plenty drunk on gin and wine. Probably the best part of my BA experience!

I'd have asked for a sack of shit instead.

I can't believe we're likely about to elect a prime minister that 2 days before an election has stated openly that she will quite happily strip away human rights in this country.

Does England have any half-decent newspapers besides The Guardian? I'm not accustomed to living in London yet heh

Pandy

When are we gonna get some damn rules in place to stop these piece of shit news outlets printing straight up lies and passing them off as fact?

I know the answer is never but our media is one of the things that shames and angers me the most about this country

I mean, if the Tories lose, there's always a chance.

If they win, it's in their manifesto to leave the papers alone and start restricting internet platforms. I'm sure that'll help provide the balance we need.

*Splinter

All that sun story amounts to is that Corbyn (quite rightly) is pro-palestine, and that Choudary was at an event that he happened to be giving a speech at. What a pile of shit.

I bet Meadows doesn't pop in to say that the watchdog needs to look into this shite.
Does he need to? It's been said several times already.

(Plus he already did)

Pandy

The Express is 10p now? Well at least that means it must be dying on its arse.

Hahaha! You might want to try reading that a bit more closely.

No shame in it. That's exactly what they want you to think when you're putting it in your basket at the supermarket.

Feorax

Does England have any half-decent newspapers besides The Guardian? I'm not accustomed to living in London yet heh

Honestly? Not really. I can't really think of any where I'd be confident to take at face value the words written on the page. If anything, this election has hardened this view for me.

Tories campaign has been nothing short of a disaster. If/when May is elected PM, it will be entirely down to the media. I honestly think even I could fairly comfortably elected PM if I was parachuted into the Tory leadership position tomorrow with this kind of media backing.

Ac30

No shame in it. That's exactly what they want you to think when you're putting it in your basket at the supermarket.

Amazingly, that got me too. Hats off to you, Express.

Things must be close, no way those headlines are used if Tories well ahead. Reeks of desperation strangely, no Tory positivity just rampant fear mongering.

sasliquid

It's all so predictable. Must try harder 6/10.

Honestly our press is such trash, I love forward to the day of the proletariat revolution when these people will get their just desserts.

Meanwhile Corbyn is in my area tomorrow campaigning in a Con Marginal

Ac30

Honestly? Not really. I can't really think of any where I'd be confident to take at face value the words written on the page. If anything, this election has hardened this view for me.

Tories campaign has been nothing short of a disaster. If/when May is elected PM, it will be entirely down to the media. I honestly think even I could fairly comfortably elected PM if I was parachuted into the Tory leadership position tomorrow with this kind of media backing.

You'd make a better candidate than May anyways because she hasn't exactly been a star campaigner.

Looks like I'll be sticking to BBC then, even abroad they were miles better than fucking CNN.

Meadows

Banned
My job involves data visualisation and working with design teams on projects with a wide variety of clients in a number of industries.

With that said, this might be the hardest to read chart I've ever seen. Kudos BBC.

_96373078_all_visits_since_tory_manifesto_launch_v2.png

Real talk: does any country have a worse press than ours? At least in terms of free countries? It's beyond disgraceful and the amount of damage it's caused to our democracy can't be overstated.

Well I was thinking they must be feeling the pinch because their audience is steadily dying off. And indeed looking at that Wikipedia article someone posted earlier, their circulations have halved since 2010 (woo).

Real talk: does any country have a worst press than ours? At least in terms of free countries? It's beyond disgraceful and the amount of damage it's caused to our democracy can't be overstated.
America. At least as far as TV goes. Our print takes the fucking piss though.

King_Moc

Banned
I mean, I did if you look 20 posts earlier in this thread. Try not to be a bellend.

Didn't realise I was the fucking press watchdog.

Well, i see you instantly jump on a random fake news anti-tory article, but the actual papers are full of this crap regarding the other side and how Corbyn is Schrodingers pacifist, simultaneously denouncing violence and promoting terror..

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Real talk: does any country have a worse press than ours? At least in terms of free countries? It's beyond disgraceful and the amount of damage it's caused to our democracy can't be overstated.

I don't think it's even up for debate that the British press is the worst in the world.

America tries but it's more like a game show and just doesn't have that raw cruel bitterness you find here.

Ogodei

America. At least as far as TV goes. Our print takes the fucking piss though.

Even Fox isn't as bad as the Mail for the most part, due to the need to dog-whistle in the US (which is seen as Fox is losing advertisers now as they become more sensationalist).

Breitbart, Drudge, Daily Caller? That's some competition for the British right-press, but they are comfortably fringe in audience, pound for pound, compared to the Mail or the Express.

The Tory press in this country is fucking horrendous, but that suits their readers down to the ground. Fucking horrible, twisted cartoon caricatures of people. The 'rats' comment ealier in the thread was unfair to rats. They don't strive to fuck over half their species, and other species, the way tories do. They have more humanity.

I don't think it's even up for debate that the British press is the worst in the world.

America tries but it's more like a game show and just doesn't have that raw cruel bitterness you find here.

I mean it's unbelievable the amount of shit you see from them, that Mail front page is borderline libelous.

*Splinter

Well, i see you instantly jump on a random fake news anti-tory article, but the actual papers are full of this crap regarding the other side and how Corbyn is Schrodingers pacifist, simultaneously denouncing violence and promoting terror..
Noone else criticised the Facebook thing. Several people criticised the Sun thing.

Yeah the Sun thing is obviously worse but as Meadows pointed out he's not the media watchdog, let's not bully out one of the few non-Labour voices in the thread eh?

We have crap just like that Daily Mail cover but it's usually relegated to the National Enquirer which everyone knows is completely garbage

_89559525_04f05e23-b674-46fe-894b-9700d0e64096.jpg

Dabanton

Some of the most disgusting front pages I've seen for a UK election. That all three of the rags are going for this tells you a lot.

The right wing press have hit the defcon 1 panic button. They must be absolutely bricking it. Think how assured they were just two weeks ago up to now.

Pandy

You'd make a better candidate than May anyways because she hasn't exactly been a star campaigner.

Looks like I'll be sticking to BBC then, even abroad they were miles better than fucking CNN.

If I were you I would watch the BBC news with a healthy dose of cynicism too. There have been umpteen examples of bias over the course of this thread, and I'm sure there will be a few more examples before this is all done with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom