• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horsefly

The Sun has an interview with May in today's paper, dominated by terrorism discussion as you'd expect. But it's the editors comment at the end that's the most insane aspect. They don't think May's actions in trying to get Google and Facebook to take down extremist content goes far enough. Instead:

Blocking Facebook??

Perhaps I'm a swing voter after all...

How do the media get away with this shit?

It's not even how the media keep getting away with this shit, it's how people keep fucking falling for it.

Once or twice, okay, everyone is allowed a couple of chances to realise they've been played like an idiot, but to keep fucking falling it, over and over again and then to bitch and moan about being lied to after the fact.

Cunts.

Chinner

Banned
How do the media get away with this shit?
Because if the government shuts down a large collection of sites the public would be forced to visit traditional media either by print or government approved sites.

Self interest basically, and this works with the Tories as you can make deals and influence traditional media.

Maledict

It's not even how the media keep getting away with this shit, it's how people keep fucking falling for it.

Once or twice, okay, everyone is allowed a couple of chances to realise they've been played like an idiot, but to keep fucking falling it, over and over again and then to bitch and moan about being lied to after the fact.

Cunts.

They don't think they have been lied to. That's why. If you go speak to lifelong conservative voters, they'll tell you Maggie was the best thing to happen to this country but was betrayed by her weak ministers, that Blair and Brown ruined the economy by taxing and spending, and the only way to get out of Brussels and away from meddling EU unelected bureaucrats is to vote for May.

These aren't people thinking they have been tricked. The papers don't shape people from nothing, they are a reflection of that mind set - they feed off each other, reinforcing hatred,

weekev

Banned
NjqV1X5.png

-_-

Edit: Oops. Didn't notice they had all been posted by now. Thought it was only the one (The Sun).
Wow, gutter press at its gutter best. Disgusting

Fully expect tomorrow to be the magical inversion of the 'will of the people' to fight the establishment. They wailed, the context changed, now they will squeak.

The lack of critical thinking in this country is really heartbreaking. A generation, and another one, and another one, who can't realise that they're being lied to through the teeth of politicians that care nothing for them.

Can't wait to have my very minimal say tomorrow, holding out hope for a surprise.

TheCrackInTime

Neo Member
The Sun has an interview with May in today's paper, dominated by terrorism discussion as you'd expect. But it's the editors comment at the end that's the most insane aspect. They don't think May's actions in trying to get Google and Facebook to take down extremist content goes far enough. Instead:

The S*n never fails in it's ability to disgust me. The sooner that piece of shit rag, the Daily Mail and Daily Express are consigned to the history books, the better off we'll be as a country.

jelly

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40176990

The PM said she would make it easier to deport foreign terror suspects and "restrict the freedom and movements" of those that present a threat.

This looks very much like an attempt to return the current TPim restrictions - a form of house arrest - closer to what they used to be when they were called control orders. Those orders were created by Labour in 2004 and they included long curfews and restrictions on who people could meet and communicate with. They were abolished by the Conservative-Liberal Democrat coalition and replaced by less restrictive TPims in 2011.
The human rights law issue may be less dramatic than it sounds. States can "derogate" or suspend their observance of parts of the European Convention of Human Rights if they need to. Tony Blair's government did it in 2001 to create a form of detention without charge for foreign suspects who could not be deported - something I will come back to.

Many terrorism suspects are not put on trial for terrorism offences because there are other tools in the criminal law box that are right for the job.
So, for instance, had one of the London attackers survived, he would have been charged with murder.
Parliament has seen no need to create a separate offence of "terrorism murder". The mandatory sentence for murder is already life.
Judges can order that life means life - no chance of parole - which is exactly what Michael Adebolajo got after his trial and conviction for murdering Fusilier Lee Rigby. Thomas Mair got the same sentence for killing MP Jo Cox.
What about a terrorist bomb plot? Again, no need for special crimes. Really important Victorian law covers explosives - both their possession and use.

Some people regularly talk about bringing back the death penalty. The UK, through its own choice, adopted the measure in the European Convention on Human Rights (which is nothing to do with the EU or Brexit) that required the abolition of capital punishment in all circumstances. We are legally a world away from the noose.

What about internment - detention without charge?
Before TPims and their predecessor control orders, Tony Blair's government tried detention without charge for foreign national terror suspects who could not be deported. That was thrown out by the UK's highest judges - and it was as politically controversial as the hated internment camps during Northern Ireland's Troubles.
If people want to see internment back, they have to ask themselves who exactly they want to see held, for how long, on what grounds. Would it actually work? In Northern Ireland, it was a recruiting sergeant for the IRA.

Figured May was talking shit.

If you ask me, if Students don't come out and vote in full force it's going to be another wipe this election. The hit job right wing news is doing of Diane Abbott is border line racist right now. DM and the Sun need to be investigated.

StayDead

If you ask me, if Students don't come out and vote in full force it's going to be another wipe this election. The hit job right wing news is doing of Diane Abbott is border line racist right now. DM and the Sun need to be investigated.

Investigated by who? The right wing government who love this shit or the police who will be even more understaffed and completely unable to do anything?

On the one hand, yes it's basically a gotcha before its begun having Diane Abbott on TV because she's guaranteed to fuck up or make herself and Labour look stupid, which is obviously great for the Tories but also makes for great ratings.

On the other, she wants to be Home Secretary. In her latest appearance on Sky she was practically slurring. People should know who else will be in a government when they cast their vote.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Think I'm gonna sign off from this thread now till results are in, thanks for the discussions everyone. See you friday for sad drunk posting.

Auctopus

I wonder how The Sun thinks it will get half of its content if Facebook gets shut down.

Mr. Sam

What I'm actually surprised about is how long it's taken for The Mail and The Sun to run headlines like that. They've been sitting on this stuff until now, one assumes, for maximum effectiveness.

I think the thing that bothers me the most to think about this country voting for the Conservatives is that i just dont understand it (other than People=Stupid).

You have the immigration and/or racist angle, i hate it and dont agree with it but i could understand. If your town has suffered due to cheap workers coming in i could see that helping to shape your view, along with our disgusting media.

Other than that though i just dont know how you can look at the last 7 years and say "You did a good job Tories".

NHS is in a mess, Police have been cut by 20,000, Armed police by 1,000, schools are so underfunded they are having to basically go the Patreon route with parents, less well paid jobs etc, etc. and all of that is regularly reported, even by our right wing media, as to be getting worse as we go on.

Those are all things that you should be aware of and have an understanding of how bad it effects people, polls show that these issues are important to people yet every single fucking time they vote for the very same people that are causing the problems.

Like, i sometimes wonder if 45% of our country just have mush for brains because children should be able to understand the connection of whats going on. I say 45% because you also have 5% who are the rich, elite who only care about themselves.

While i never got my hopes up too high, in part thanks to this threads analysis, i was actually feeling hope. Not just hope for Labour but hope that people were starting to understand the real issues that we face BECAUSE of a Tory government and that progressive ideals were breaking through their boogie man reputation.

Now though, that deep despair that i live in a country that is at least 50% Cunt and because of them 95% of us are now going to suffer, some more than others has crept in and im now having to think of what is going to happen and it isnt good.

The one saving grace is that Corbyn has proved many of the haters wrong and shown that there is an appetite for a progressive platform and that the young really are hopefully going to be a force for good. Of course for that to potentially make a big enough difference its going to take at least a decade for the balance to shift from the older, more Conservative views to the 'younger' (50 and under by then) more progressive one but who knows how badly things will have been fucked up by then.

liquidtmd

Banned
What I'm actually surprised about is how long it's taken for The Mail and The Sun to run headlines like that. They've been sitting on this stuff until now, one assumes, for maximum effectiveness.

It's interesting, I was speaking to a few on the fence guys in the office and this morning's headlines are actually apparently edging them towards Labour

What they will do in the quiet of the voting station is anyone's guess, but this coverage isn't cut and dry in its effectiveness

Horsefly

What asking for the media to be impartial is right wing?

Not exactly what you wrote though, is it?

Would these rules stop a left wing publication encouraging people to be left wing?

As for impartiality, I disagree. In an attempt to stop these rags spreading incorrect opinions you'd then have other publications having to portray a balanced view on, for example, removal of human rights, etc

Freedom of the press is not pretty, but to me it's a far scarier world where it's lost.

Breakage

The lack of critical thinking in this country is really heartbreaking. A generation, and another one, and another one, who can't realise that they're being lied to through the teeth of politicians that care nothing for them.

Can't wait to have my very minimal say tomorrow, holding out hope for a surprise.
When I look at the people on the latest series of "Big Brother" it's easy to see why these headlines work. Being dumb and proud has become an aspiration. Something in the UK really changed in the last couple of decades.

Taker666

I'm going to assume the Tories will get a 100 seat majority and leave it at that.

If the majority of oridinary people decide to vote Tory/don't vote at all..then frankly they deserve the shit that's coming to them (it really is Turkeys voting for Christmas). A terrible shame for everyone else that gets caught in its wake.

We had our chance to regulate the Newpapers in the UK...

Fuck MAY!

I've been reading about her plans in response to terrorism and I am super worried about the amount of crap she might be planning to pull under the guise of increasing security.

Longer Prison sentences for one, bothers me. If the US has proven anything with it's criminal justice system, its that longer sentences don't work. Our prisons are already at critical in population, not to mention the lack of funding.

All she is going to do is make it easier for us to accept the privatisation of the prisons. That is the aim.

StayDead

I don't understand anyone who isn't super rich voting for Tory.

What good are they doing for you at all?

They're cutting/privatising all the public services which makes them more expensive and puts them out of your price range. Police numbers are at an all time low and this is a party hellbent on "security". You literally get no benefit from voting Tory if you're not a multi-millionaire. They've done nothing good for anyone over their past reign.

They're cutting/privatising all the public services which makes them more expensive and puts them out of your price range. Police numbers are at an all time low and this is a party hellbent on "security". You literally get no benefit from voting Tory if you're not a multi-millionaire. They've done nothing good for anyone over their past reign.

In a post-truth society, facts are an aside.

*Splinter

A lot of people just don't believe that Labour would be better. Sure Labour can offer the moon, but if the economy fails and the country goes bankrupt then the fallout would be a lot worse than a few cuts being offered by the Tories. They might argue it's a choice between not paying nurses enough and not paying them at all!

You also have a lot of selfish people to consider. All they will care about is who offers the lowest taxes, and Tories will always win that fight. A hell of a lot of people in this country are just comfortable. Food banks and disability cuts are things they only see in media, or maybe not at all. Meanwhile their own lives are easy/good enough that they aren't willing to risk voting for massive change.

And tribalism. Their families/friends/media support Tories and they'll do the same, like we're cheering for a football team rather than discussing how best to run the country. (This last point applies to both sides, of course).

The Tory campaign has been dreadful.

Sad that they will most likely still get a considerable majority even with this shit show of a campaign.

mo60

The Tory campaign has been dreadful.

Sad that they will most likely still get a considerable majority even with this shit show of a campaign.

It's not like they are guaranteed to keep that majority five years from now because most of the gains in this election for them will be related to brexit.The tories electoral coalition will collpase if brexit is a disaster.

A lot of people just don't believe that Labour would be better. Sure Labour can offer the moon, but if the economy fails and the country goes bankrupt then the fallout would be a lot worse than a few cuts being offered by the Tories. They might argue it's a choice between not paying nurses enough and not paying them at all!

You also have a lot of selfish people to consider. All they will care about is who offers the lowest taxes, and Tories will always win that fight. A hell of a lot of people in this country are just comfortable. Food banks and disability cuts are things they only see in media, or maybe not at all. Meanwhile their own lives are easy/good enough that they aren't willing to risk voting for massive change.

And tribalism. Their families/friends/media support Tories and they'll do the same, like we're cheering for a football team rather than discussing how best to run the country. (This last point applies to both sides, of course).

this post is on point

Cpt Lmao

Well nobody can use her as an excuse not to vote Labour anymore.

"Diane Abbott standing down as Shadow Home Secretary because of ill-health."

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...campaign-final-day-human-rights-politics-live

Corbyn should have done this two weeks ago.

Anyway, now's the time for the hard left to put up. All I've heard in the last couple of years is "we shouldn't hold a centrist platform because the people want a genuine alternative, and if there is one, the people will vote overwhelmingly for it". Well after you've finished your six hours of campaigning tonight, you better get out and vote for Corbyn first thing tomorrow. I don't want to hear anything along the lines of: "oh I changed to the Greens because I don't like Corbyn's granola policy" or "I didn't vote because Corbyn's just the same as May", and I expect nothing less than 80% turnout tomorrow.

Remember: anything less than a hung parliament against this woeful Conservative campaign, and there'll never be a hard-left government ever again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom