• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

jelly

The way people talk about Abbott you would think there was a trail of destruction behind her but apart from some dodgy comments, she doesn't seem that bad and Abbott has never held a ministerial post in government so you can't really knock her for stuff she hasn't done that I've heard a few times from people. Perhaps not right for a top post though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diane_Abbott

Surprised they dragged it out this long, what was the point, health should have taken priority, hope she gets back to decent health.

StayDead

A good result for Labour is increasing vote share by 2-3% and staying still on seat losses IMO. If they do that then Corbyn or at least the left of the party, will probably stay on.

That's still not a good enough result for us though.

I fear for my Mum's health if the Tories get into power again. They've already been threatening to cut her support allowance (which is allowing her to live in a care home). The local hospital is struggling under all the cuts as well.

Hazzuh

DBtq1gHXsAAiq-_.jpg

In a way I hope they call another leadership election.
And I'll watch with glee and they get destroyed, again.

That seems to be what defines Labour these days - one faction watching with glee as their rivals suffer an embarrassing defeat.

Unless the the centrists and the leftists can come together somehow, I think we're fucked as an electoral force, and we'll have many decades of uninterrupted Tory rule (that each faction will blame the other for).

There are a fair few legit criticisms of Corbyn, but a jobsworth? That's literally the opposite of true.

His nuclear policy is bonkers and lacks common sense.

However, I was at his rally in Gateshead on Monday, at the end I felt voting labour was the right thing to do only to be met with the complete opposite when watching sky news.

I'm completely torn

I know Corbyn can be a giant spoon sometimes but the only party I could see myself voting for on thursday is Labour, same goes for the missus.

EDIT: Also, random question, when did the BBC News' comment section get over-run by right wing fucktards?

TimmmV

How does Jeremy Corbyn get the Sun or the Daily Mail on his side, in any universe?

He doesn't.

Unfortunately the press in the UK will always be biased to the right. The way to deal with that is to wait until people get sick of the Tories enough to vote left. I think this will happen after Brexit inevitably fucks everything up.

Then it'll be on Labour to push for some serious press reforms while they can, and maybe curtail their nonsense.

pswii60

Whoever wins we lose.

Not sure I'm even going to vote tomorrow.

I will never in my lifetime vote Tory and corbyn is a fucking jobsworth

At least use your vote to even out the balance and reduce the majority, and vote for whichever seat in your constituency can win against the Tories. Please.

And that goes for everybody else feeling apathetic about voting tomorrow.

However, I was at his rally in Gateshead on Monday, at the end I felt voting labour was the right thing to do only to be met with the complete opposite when watching sky news.

I'm completely torn

His nuclear policy is that the point where we need to consider pressing the button is a point of no return anyway, and shouldn't be a focus on diplomacy. I admit I had a hard time wrapping my head around that as well, until recently.

Why not just give Labour a vote anyway, better social progress doesn't seem like a bad thing to me.

What about his nuclear policy is bonkers? That he wouldn't press the button and kill potentially millions of people?

I have nothing but the news to get my information regarding trident.

I understand the current deterrent simply isnt enough but to scrap the entire project is, imo a country defining moment for the worst.

Media agendas are rife at the moment so I could be wrong.

kiyomi

His nuclear policy is that the point where we need to consider pressing the button is a point of no return anyway, and shouldn't be a focus on diplomacy. I admit I had a hard time wrapping my head around that as well, until recently.

Why not just give Labour a vote anyway, better social progress doesn't seem like a bad thing to me.

Not aimed at you or anything, but it's just so ludicrous to me that we've gotten to the point where we are discussing whether using nuclear weapons is a good idea or not.

Diplomacy should always be the number one action of choice. Not mass murder.

PackAPunchedMick said:

I understand the current deterrent simply isnt enough but to scrap the entire project is, imo a country defining moment for the worst.

IMO a better deterrent is not inciting actions that would lead to nuclear war. Trident seems like a colossal waste of money to me, but hey.

liquidtmd

Banned
Whoever wins we lose.

Not sure I'm even going to vote tomorrow.

I will never in my lifetime vote Tory and corbyn is a fucking jobsworth

If you will never vote Tory, Corbyn is 68 - he won't be around forever. These are crucial years RE: Brexit. Starmer is far more preferable to Davis in negotiations, consider your vote for him

Goodlife

Labour's manifesto commits to renewing trident

Meadows

Banned

As pretty much the only person in here that isn't voting Labour (along with Huw I guess) I think any of the main parties (CON, LAB, LD, GRN, PC, SNP) outside UKIP have compelling arguments as to why a vote for them would make sense.

Take your time to read the manifestos (or shortened versions of them) for each party and then weigh up the leadership qualities of the party leaders and who you think would do best negotiating various bits and pieces needed after Brexit.

Zakalwe

Banned

I'm completely torn

His nuclear policy is honest, diplomatic, and focused on the reality of mutually assured destruction.

Please, ask us some questions, we'll very likely be able to help explain why it's the right choice.

At least don't waste your vote.

Spuck-uk

Banned

Labour are not going to scrap trident. You can look it up in the manifesto.

hohoXD123

There have been a bunch of people saying she's useless.
Some of her past interviews didn't exactly do the Labour party any favours and worrying about any future gaffes isn't unjustified. Not sure why anyone should be ashamed about that, should posters feel bad about the stuff they have been saying about Theresa May should she be taken ill later? That's not to say some of the headlines coming out about her in the gutter press isn't disgusting though.

liquidtmd

Banned
Not aimed at you or anything, but it's just so ludicrous to me that we've gotten to the point where we are discussing whether using nuclear weapons is a good idea or not.

Diplomacy should always be the number one action of choice. Not mass murder.

I legitimately rolled my eyes when on the BBC this week it was inferred Corbyn was an idiot for not 'pressing the button if we had been fired at'

So a large part of our country would be nuked and millions of innocents killed but Corbyn is an asshole for not confirming he would retaliate and kill millions of innocents on their side.

If a foreign power had got to the point they'd fired at us, I'd argue the threat we'd nuke them back would be moot. M.A.D is not a plausible deterrent to despots

Hazzuh

Apparently Labour insiders think the Tories may have a shot at winning Bolsover, Skinner's done hardly any campaigning.

pswii60

As long as the Conservative party exists the right wing media will never support anyone else.

That's simply not true, The Sun supported Labour throughout the Blair years.

But that was 'New Labour' - and centre Labour rather than left Labour. Until Labour veers to the centre again, they're simply not going to attract the MSM back. And you also have to remember that they'll be going all out to make sure Labour doesn't win, because the media moguls are in the top 5% - and then there's the corporation tax.

Luckily there's social media - and even places like GAF - that helps get the message out. But sadly the generation that will be guaranteed to go out and vote tomorrow are the same generation brainwashed by The Sun and the Daily Mail.

Spuck-uk

Banned
I legitimately rolled my eyes when on the BBC this week it was inferred Corbyn was an idiot for not 'pressing the button if we had been fired at'

So a large part of our country would be nuked and millions of innocents killed but Corbyn is an asshole for not confirming he would retaliate and kill millions of innocents on their side.

If a foreign power had got to the point they'd fired at us, I'd argue to threat we'd nuke them back would be moot. M.A.D is not a plausible deterrent to despots

Any retaliatory nuclear launch scenario probably ends life on earth.

*Splinter

Isn't China's nuclear policy something along the lines of "as soon as any of you launch a nuke we're wiping the planet".

Noone is launching any nukes. They're relics of the past.

Meadows

Banned
Apparently Labour insiders think the Tories may have a shot at winning Bolsover, Skinner's done hardly any campaigning.

No way! That's a super Labour safe seat

Labour 51.2%
Conservative 24.5%
UKIP 21.0%
Liberal Democrat 3.3%

In 2015.

Cons would literally have to wipe out the entire UKIP vote and then steal like 20% of the Labour voters to get close.

danowat

Banned
Any retaliatory nuclear launch scenario probably ends life on earth.

I'd argue it's not the retaliatory action that ends life, rather the original action.

I find the way pro-cons spin Corbyn's reluctance to use nuclear weapons as a negative utterly bizarre.

Spuck-uk

Banned

He hardly needs to, he's held a 20%+ majority since the iron ages.

He voted leave as well, which plays really well in his area.

Just checked 2015 results. Collapse in ukip and leave voters jumping ship could definitely put this seat in play.

If Skinner goes, then I would be expecting a result quite similar to the Red Wedding come Friday morning.

King_Moc

Banned

If a foreign power had got to the point they'd fired at us, I'd argue the threat we'd nuke them back would be moot. M.A.D is not a plausible deterrent to despots

Yep, we're a small country and would easily be destroyed in a nuclear war anyway. The only winning move seems to be to not play.

His nuclear policy is honest, diplomatic, and focused on the reality of mutually assured destruction.

Please, ask us some questions, we'll very likely be able to help explain why it's the right choice.

At least don't waste your vote.

To commit to trident but never use it? A collosal waste of money?

His funding of the police forces and NHS, is it legitimately viable?

The welfare budget, I work my arse off 5 days a week but I believe benefits for those that are struggling are the best this country has ever had to offer, have labour commented on how they will fund it without cuts, cuts, cuts and keep those who need it from becoming poorer?

Those are the three defining questions in regards to my voting.

Hope you can help. Thanks.

I live in a neighbouring constituency, and while it's possible, I don't think it's likely at all. Ironically, a lot of it will be down to the UKIP vote not being quite as diminished as it will be in the rest of the country, and the right-wing voters being split between them and the Conservatives. I'd certainly be worried in the next election though, when UKIP will likely have folded completely and Skinner probably won't be standing.

crayman

I'd argue it's not the retaliatory action that ends life, rather the original action.

I find the way pro-cons spin Corbyn's reluctance to use nuclear weapons as a negative utterly bizarre.

The point is that merely saying 'I will retaliate', and having people believe you, will stop the destruction from happening to begin with.

It doesn't actually matter if you would retaliate or not, just as long as you say you will and are believed.

There's no-one on the planet who doesn't think the US, Russia, or China would retaliate if someone fired a nuke at them. So no-one ever will.

The welfare budget, I work my arse off 5 days a week but I believe benefits for those that are struggling are the best this country has ever had to offer, have labour commented on how they will fund it without cuts, cuts, cuts and keep those who need it from becoming poorer?

It's seems like all of your points are the typical bullshit that gets spread via our shitty media. This isn't an attack on you though, just our media.

Maybe have a quick look at the manifesto and see how they plan to do what they say.

How is Corbyn gathering huge crowds if this is the case?

It'll be mighty interesting to see the exit poll.

You need to remember that this was supposed to be a slam dunk for the Conservatives, a 1997-style landslide. Gaining a few dozen seats, to some extent from the SNP where Labour isn't really in play, is a massive step down from that initial prediction.

danowat

Banned
The point is that merely saying 'I will retaliate', and having people believe you, will stop the destruction from happening to begin with.

It doesn't actually matter if you would retaliate or not, just as long as you say you will and are believed.

There's no-one on the planet who doesn't think the US, Russia, or China would retaliate if someone fired a nuke at them. So no-one ever will.

And yet, only 9 countries out of 195 have nuclear capability, are you saying that those 189 countries are at more risk because they have no nuclear weapons?

liquidtmd

Banned

See, I've heard this argument over the decades and I kinda am turning to think that if diplomacy as failed so badly, or those running the country are so antogonistic, that the only sole thing stopping them firing a nuke is the thought of being fired back on, I honestly don't think that will stop them.

Firing a nuke is a desperate play of someone with nothing left to lose. They know it's an endgame.

It's seems like all of your points are the typical bullshit that gets spread via our shitty media. This isn't an attack on you though, just our media.

Maybe have a quick look at the manifesto and see how they plan to do what they say.

Oh of course, my concerns are those that I am force fed from the media, I have no problem admitting that.

But they are still legitimate.

I'll certainly take a quick look at the manifesto after work.

The percentages don't matter, sadly.

It was never, ever going to be a Labour victory, the best really to hope for is damage limitation, showing that a left wing manifesto is viable and that we can have something to build on.

Corbs has run a hell of a campaign against all the odds though.

Well as far as i understand this election is basically labour- libdem-SNP vs. Tories and if you look at it that way the election could be close if the voters vote strategically

I mean, she is. That's not based on the past few days, but on the last several years.

One can think she's useless and believe the stories that she's ill and hope she recovers soon.

She's not useless though, she made a mistake with some numbers, not lied, not avoided, got it wrong.

I've heard nothing but great things about her. Lots of people on twitter talking about all the times she's helped people, including making time to visit a community event before having to rush off to her own wedding.

I don't mean this at all as an insult as I actually feel bad for you but...people like you really worry me.

Nearly everything you have said in your last few posts are proper media planted thoughts. You've been brainwashed like a sheep basically.

The fact you're worried about nuclear weapons is the most scary part. There is literally no chance that there will come a time in the next few years where Corbyn would have to use a nuke. No chance at all. It's not in the slightest thing something to worry about and if it was, then the world as we know it would be over anyway.

You went to a rally for Corbyn and that made you want to vote for him. You then watched mainstream news and that made you not want to? Have a word with yourself and vote for what your own mind told you and not who the news tried to push you towards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom