• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Westminster voting intention:

CON: 42% (-)
LAB: 35% (-3)
LDEM: 10% (+1)
UKIP: 5% (+1)
GRN: 2% (-)

(via @YouGov)

laughing-like-a-king-homer-simpson.gif

No way we're getting 10%, but hey I'll take my feel-good poll.

Acorn

Paisley is currently SNP so voting Labour seems like a tactical swing and miss to potentially let the Tories back in. Do not underestimate the amount of Labour voters in Scotland who are going to go out and vote Conservative this GE because of the Union.

If you voted against Mhairi Black I'll give you a slap too lol.
They aren't taking Paisley. Feegie park tory councillor and all.

Mhari is a bit of a walloper imo, still voted her even though I liked Douglas Alexander. I knew him through the local labour party when I was a member, he helped me with some work problems I had in the MOJ. Good guy.

Audioboxer

They aren't taking Paisley. Feegie park tory councillor and all.

Mhari is a bit of a walloper imo, still voted her even though I liked Douglas Alexander. I knew him through the local labour party when I was a member, he helped me with some work problems I had in the MOJ. Good guy.

Why do you think that? She's always got some great speeches and views on social issues.

You're probably right, I'm just very skittish of this truly being the election in Scotland where Labour voters sell their souls to go out and vote Tory in ridiculous numbers. There's probably even going to be some 2015 SNP voter backstabbing going on. As in, vote progressive in 2015 when it appears indyref is dead and buried, freak out and vote for the Union in 2017 when it's "under threat".

I think there will be some apathy leading to lower turnouts as well. Paisley jumped like 10% turnout from 2010 > 2015

TbxezPe.png

I expect turnout drops across all (or most) constituencies in Scotland which will probably hurt the SNP, combined with the surge from Labour to the Tories.

Worst case scenario means Tories have less seats than they do today, and Labour can be encouraged that leaning left is still viable. They don't need to beg Blair for any help. I'm still crossing my fingers for a Corbyn victory though - it's about time we got a political shock in the right direction for a change.

My Facebook feed is getting absolutely ridiculous about this vote though:

Friend 1: "Remember tomorrow, VOTE BLUE!!!"
Friend 2: "You spelt red wrong mate, don't know why you are showing off pretending to be a Tory anyway."
Friend 1: "You can just fuck off"
Friend 2: "I guarantee if I cut you open you will bleed labour red"

0.o

Im shitting my pants for Conservative gains in Scotland. I just can't fathom anyone in this country voting Tory after what they've done in the past and what they will continue to do.

Im shitting my pants for Conservative gains in Scotland. I just can't fathom anyone in this country voting Tory after what they've done in the past and what they will continue to do.

Me neither, after poll tax etc cannot believe folk will vote in large numbers. Then again the orange order have organised well, pretty sad really.

Xando

"Voters want a new centre ground party"

Do they...?

If you have the right person to do it i'd guess yes. Look at Macron, created a party 1 year ago and now is president and his party is due for a massive voters share in the parliamentary election next week if you believe the polls.

Not sure who that person would be in the UK though.

Yeah, but - and not to rub salt in the wound because even if I'm from England I have Scottish ancestry... - no one could fathom the Tories getting an increased majority in 2015. Or people voting to leave an organization we helped to found in 2016. We are, a United Kingdom of political sadomasochists.

Audioboxer

Analysing why will be interesting. I'm hedging it on Labour to Conservative converts, and stay at home 2015 SNP voters. The biggest shock to see will be as I said above, SNP votes in 2015 flipping Tory. I think there will be a few, but the biggest gains will be from Labour voters abandoning their party and opting for "Strong and Stable".

Kyougar

Wow is this a UK thing or does this style of trash newspaper also happen around the world like in America, France, Germany and Canada etc?

in Germany, this wouldnt even fly for satire magazines.
Media (especially satire media) can ridicule persons but not actively be rude. The sun and mail would loose their license.

Not sure who that person would be in the UK though.

It'd be either the next leader of the Lib Dems or the leader of a breakaway new party from Labour.

A genuinely new party in Britain has to win FPTP elections in 323 constituencies, from scratch, with no local knowledge or prior work done. It takes decades of work to win in Britain.

Conservative Party seats: 374
Green Party seats: 1
Labour seats: 199
Lib Dem seats: 9
Plaid Cymru seats: 2
SNP seats: 46
UKIP seats: 0
Independently held seats: 1
Seats held by other parties: 18

BONUS:
Labour wipe-out in Scotland? No. (Ian Murray holds. They make no gains.)
More Conservative votes than Labour in Scotland? Yes. (By a small margin.)
More Conservative seats than Labour in Wales? No.
The Portillo award goes to..? Angus Robertson. (Clegg is holding).
First resignation of the night? None.
How many party leaders will resign? 0.
Seat for Nuttall? No.

RulkezX

The old labour voting wholloper I work with told me yesterday he'd vote Tory over SNP because of the Indyref stuff.

Pandy

Survation at 11pm. If any poll will have labour in front it'd be that one given their weightings.

That'll be the one. Time for a drink beforehand.

In somewhat related news, I've just completed my application form for a job with the NHS...
Maybe I should have held off for a day or two before submitting it. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom