• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the last election my seat got 22k Tory votes, 16k Labour. Not really sure about figures, would this be considered a safe Tory seat or could enough people change this?

I'd say fairly safe? It would take a decent swing to Labour for it to change hands. How many UKIP votes were there? If it was a few thousand, they're generally going to go blue and sure up the Tories.

Theonik

From my experience it doesn't matter if you have the numbers if you're from the left.

My Dutch leftist party calculates their budget through a government institution just like the conservative parties but I still hear coworkers ask me where the financial backing is
People today are convinced that even regular social democracy is too good to be true.
It's really weird coming from the country that built the NHS and 2m houses in 5 years whilst being devastated by WWII on the premise of 'This is what society needs'.

Lego Boss

Anecdotal evidence incoming.

So I've never voted before and wanted to vote Labour cos NHS is important.

Got in to booth and it had local MPs and it spun me out, I was looking for the boy Corbyn, voted Labour anyway.

Came out and messaged my group chat of mates and none of them had any idea we were going to be voting local MPs despite all of them (and everyone I know) going on FB and telling everyone to vote labour over and over.

Turns out our tactical vote is for Green to get Tories out.

I can't be the only person who was confused by this, despite everyone being a politician Im sort of worried that nobody actually knows what they are doing?

The future's bright

slider

It's really weird coming from the country that built the NHS and 2m houses in 5 years whilst being devastated by WWII on the premise of 'This is what society needs'.

Crazy. Doesn't feel like that place anymore. Well, based on the election coverage I've seen of folk. Every fucker wants services but wants someone else to pay for them.

Got in to booth and it had local MPs and it spun me out, I was looking for the boy Corbyn, voted Labour anyway.

Came out and messaged my group chat of mates and none of them had any idea we were going to be voting local MPs despite all of them (and everyone I know) going on FB and telling everyone to vote labour over and over.

I can't be the only person who was confused by this, despite everyone being a politician Im sort of worried that nobody actually knows what they are doing?

Unless you're voting in Islington North, Corbyn's name won't be anywhere near a ballot paper. You're voting for your MP, whatever party they represent (if any party at all), and the resulting winner will be the party that nets the majority constituency seats in Parliament.

DeathyBoy

Banned

And this is why "vote just vote vote because if you don't fuck you" is a terrible thing to tell people.

Also fuck Facebook. It gives any idiot a platform to be s self righteous cunt.

gngf123

How Green are we talking here. Brighton Pavilion?

Fact is, most of the electorate have no idea what the fuck they are doing. You are learning and that is good! More than most people.

Isn't high election turn out bad for the Tories? It would mean that the youth have showed up.

Yep, hence getting the drinks ready to celebrate =D

Just got back from casting my Labour vote. Would love to know if this email rumour is true. Going to see what I can find about it.

Daemul

Yo guys go easy on BareKnuckles, he/she a first time voter and got confused. I thought the same thing as him/her the first time I ever went to vote, what a shock that was.

Probably the fact the entire campaign of both parties is based around the leader.

Yeah, this is true. The media tends to treat UK elections as if they're the same as Presidential elections in other countries, and thus make everything revolve around the party leader, when it is far from being the case in reality.

Mr. Sam

In the last election my seat got 22k Tory votes, 16k Labour. Not really sure about figures, would this be considered a safe Tory seat or could enough people change this?

In this election, which has been pretty defensive for Labour, I'd say the local Tory party have classified it as "fairly safe."

I just don’t see how anyone can see something as insane as yesterday’s mail cover and be like “hmm...yeah this is a sensible and objective piece of journalism”. I guess people just don’t think like that but the insane hyperbole of almost all these papers, even the left ones, is just so eyerolling to me.

I think a LOT of people have the impression that if it's written down, it's true. Why would the newspapers lie after all, they are just there to relay the news

How Green are we talking here. Brighton Pavilion?

Fact is, most of the electorate have no idea what the fuck they are doing. You are learning and that is good! More than most people.

Yes Brighton Pavilion, thats crazy that you knew that haha!

I guess I won't make that mistake again though eh.

Also yeah I second everyone on FB being a self righteous prick, Im not one to push politics on Facebook as I consider myself too ignorant of the matter to try and tell anyone else what to do (as you can probably tell). But yeah accidentally exposed 10 Facebook politicians who had no idea we were voting local.

Thanks guys!

gngf123

I just don’t see how anyone can see something as insane as yesterday’s mail cover and be like “hmm...yeah this is a sensible and objective piece of journalism”. I guess people just don’t think like that but the insane hyperbole of almost all these papers, even the left ones, is just so eyerolling to me.

I've seen multiple people today parotting the same shit.

People are crazy.

gngf123

I guess I won't make that mistake again though eh.

Also yeah I second everyone on FB being a self righteous prick, Im not one to push politics on Facebook as I consider myself too ignorant of the matter to try and tell anyone else what to do (as you can probably tell). But yeah accidentally exposed 10 Facebook politicians who had no idea we were voting local.

Thanks guys!

Brighton Pavilion is basically a green safe seat and labour second. You shouldn't need to worry too much about the Conservatives getting in there. It's all good!

It helps that it is the constituency of Caroline Lucas, the leader of the party.

EDIT: Oops double post. I assumed in this thread someone would reply before me.

Mr. Sam

Taco Bell missed out on not having some sort of Taconservative vs. Labouritto promotion.

It's one of maybe two or three seats in the country that voting Green would be the sensible choice to keep the Tories out, so it wasn't super hard to narrow down.

Dougald

Yo guys go easy on BareKnuckles, he/she a first time voter and got confused. I thought the same thing as him/her the first time I ever went to vote, what a shock that was.

Yeah, assuming he/she is voting for the first time not out of apathy, just going to the polling booth is a hell of a lot better than most of my classmates at their first election

spuckthew

Will be voting Lib Dem this evening. Labour have no hope where I live.

2015:

oVXCDod.jpg

Job done voted Labour. Time to start collecting bottle caps to satisfy the nuclear 9's tax collection scheme. Feels like the thatcher years all over again, no hope only undue suffering of the poor.

DiGiKerot

Isn't it a no-brainer to send out something like that on the day, regardless of what the turnout actually is??

Certainly, it's something I'd probably do regardless of the truth stated in it were I running the campaign. Makes sense to try and galvanise your base into feeling a sense of urgency regarding it even if it isn't actually there.

liquidtmd

Banned
Anecdotal: online, on forums this year is the most I've seen sites being shared in relation to tactical voting and quick guides based on postcode.

Sure I saw it in 2015, but they are currently everywhere.

Will it make sod all difference? Probably not. But you never know

Hasney

Bunch of students came in for their free pint. They must have said Taco Bell about 15 times. At least they voted first!

I'm feeling incredibly depressed about all of this. I don't think I've ever felt like my vote had less meaning, and I'm in a marginal constituency (that the conservatives are going to win).

Was also annoyed to see a conservative volunteer asking for votes / polling cards outside my polling office.

gngf123

I'm feeling incredibly depressed about all of this. I don't think I've ever felt like my vote had less meaning, and I'm in a marginal constituency (that the conservatives are going to win).

Was also annoyed to see a conservative volunteer asking for votes / polling cards outside my polling office.

Pretty sure that is illegal. You aren't allowed to campaign on the day/near polling stations.

If you can get proof and contact the electoral commision, that would be good.

I'd say fairly safe? It would take a decent swing to Labour for it to change hands. How many UKIP votes were there? If it was a few thousand, they're generally going to go blue and sure up the Tories.

6K ukip in 2015. I've got no hope then.

In this election, which has been pretty defensive for Labour, I'd say the local Tory party have classified it as "fairly safe."

Damn. Well at least I voted so I'm entitled to moan about it.

Mr. Sam

What are the chances that Labour win the popular vote but the tories get a majority?

Not unprecedented by unlikely. If they did "win" the popular vote, they likely would still have fewer seats, that much is true. It's just the "winning the popular vote" bit that isn't likely.

Bunch of students came in for their free pint. They must have said Taco Bell about 15 times. At least they voted first!

They'll remember this day for the rest of their lives.

Par Score

Hearing early rumblings that turnout is "good, very good" for this point in the day, and this was not from a Tory source.

Sun's out, weather should be nice this evening, and that's when most working people vote.

It's the hope that kills you.

Pretty sure that is illegal. You aren't allowed to campaign on the day/near polling stations.

Telling - which is the act of finding out how someone voted after they have done so - is perfectly fine. The person running the station has to be aware of it, and you're only allowed to wear a coloured rosette, no party logos or anything.

If you voted for their candidate, tell them how you voted - it will save that party time knocking you up later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom