• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newline

Who's going to be watching live from 10pm? I kind of want to even though I know i'll end up sleeping feeling kinda depressed. I was in San Francisco as the last American election results came in, I can't even vote and I felt sad for the guys.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
About right... Royston Smith just turned up on my doorstep campaigning. Bit late dick head

Someone came into my block to canvass for Flick, I just pointed at his badge and said she was a dickhead and praised his bravery for coming to a block of council flats.

Dougald

Who's going to be watching live from 10pm? I kind of want to even though I know i'll end up sleeping feeling kinda depressed.

I'll watch for the exit poll, roll my eyes and then go straight to bed. I can't drink so anything further would be far too depressing

Hasney

Who's going to be watching live from 10pm? I kind of want to even though I know i'll end up sleeping feeling kinda depressed. I was in San Francisco as the last American election results came in, I can't even vote and I felt sad for the guys.

I'm already drunk so fuck it

Yeah, I honestly think the coalition was a disaster for the Lib Dems due to the three points I mention above, but I'll defend most of the actions of the government. With the exception of anything that IDS got his mitts on, because that dude is flat-out evil.

The problem is that by electing a government that carried on the austerity agenda far after it needed to be carried on for, the country has endured needless amounts of pain.

Lib Dems did themselves a lot of damage by going into the coalition. Surely most who had voted for them felt betrayed - you don't vote for a party on the left and expect them to empower the right.

I 'held my nose' while I voted LD this morning. My Dad voted for Labour - a wasted vote in this constituency. When I asked him why he didn't to a tactical vote, his answer was that the Libs propped the Tories up before and he cannot trust them to not do it again.

I'll just watch it for an hour or two then go to bed. Aside from the exit poll and Sunderland there's nothing to talk about for hours.

Newline

I'll watch for the exit poll, roll my eyes and then go straight to bed. I can't drink so anything further would be far too depressing
This is perhaps a good idea. Staying around any longer would just lead to hours of speculation. The guardian timeline is suggesting we wont really be getting any real solid stats until the early morning after that. I think i'll be just too curious not to check out the exit poll though.

I'm not in work until tomorrow evening so I've got a fair bit of booze to drown myself in before 4am so yeah, I'll be here.

Xevross

Neo Member
Just got back from voting with all my British friends from halls. Add 6 to the labour tally in Ealing Central & Acton! It was good to see Labour giving out leaflets at the entrance to Queensway tube station ealier.

Hoping for a hung parliament but I'm bracing myself for a Tory majority.

I've heard arguments both for and against this. I'm actually largely against.

1. Farron's young, energetic and is a good leader of the party internally.
2. He's well media-trained, if a bit of a waffler.
3. He generally comes across as a nice guy when he's not being attacked over his religion - useful after the Clegg era. He's also willing to make a joke and take risks - something that most party leaders hate doing. I can't imagine another party leader who would have tried that Bake Off joke at the end of a debate.

A LOT of people thought Corbyn was useless and would never be able to get a good result - thanks to a decent manifesto and hard work I think he's proven his critics wrong. Farron's time will come, even if it's not at this election.

I do think he'll be facing a leadership contest after this election. That'd probably be Jo Swinson's best shot at becoming leader if she wanted a go.
He also comes off as a bit of dweeb, or 'uncool'. There's nothing to really get excited about for most people. Is that unfair? Sure but that's the reality.

We must be watching different interviews because he doesn't do well in them.

And the fact of the matter is that being an Evangelical Christian WILL work against him. He's not going to get over the questions over gay sex.

PJV3

Lib Dems did themselves a lot of damage by going into the coalition. Surely most who had voted for them felt betrayed - you don't vote for a party on the left and expect them to empower the right.

I 'held my nose' while I voted LD this morning. My Dad voted for Labour - a wasted vote in this constituency. When I asked him why he didn't to a tactical vote, his answer was that the Libs propped the Tories up before and he cannot trust them to not do it again.

I don't blame him really, it's easy for politicians to spout off about the national interest when they want to break a commitment.

That's odd, there were only 3 options, conservative, labour, lib den, the usual other suspects like green/ukip/bnp whatever weren't on the slip.

Well easy choice then.

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
Voted Labour in a Conservative stronghold here. Voted Lib Dem previously.

Khoryos

And the fact of the matter is that being an Evangelical Christian WILL work against him. He's not going to get over the questions over gay sex.

I could gain a lot of respect for him if he just responded with "Faith has no place in government, and sin has no place in law."

Carl

Did my thing and voted. For Labour this time. Last voted for them in 2010.

Was weird seeing a party leader (Paul Nuttall) on the voting slip.

live a little

Opinion polls are an art not a science.

On the SS CroboHypetrainPandaExpress

Jeremy_Corbyn_on_a_3419287b.jpg

StayDead

Put in my vote. Voted for Labour.

I don't agree entirely with them (I'm more a Green guy), but there's no green candidate in my area and even though there's a 10,000 vote majority here last election I'm hoping if enough people vote labour we can swing it somehow.

I'd sooner have Labour than see people having to go to food banks to survive even while in employment. The Tories and their dystopian nightmare can go to hell.

WPS

Voted!

There was a labour bloke outside my polling station asking if he could know people's polling numbers. I said no on my general principals of suspicion when anyone I don't know asks me anything, but what did he actually want them for? Is it an exit polling thing?

Dynasty

I dont want Labour to win, I want the Tory Majorit to be reduced but for them to still stay in power. When Brexit screws up our country I want them to be held 100% at fault.

I voted for Labour.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Talking about the lib dems reminds me how odd the slur about the coalition of chaos is. It was the tories who had the damn coalition*.

*It being a coalition was a strong point - the Lib Dems did improve the government by being a part of it

Real Hero

Put in my vote. Voted for Labour.

I don't agree entirely with them (I'm more a Green guy), but there's no green candidate in my area and even though there's a 10,000 vote majority here last election I'm hoping if enough people vote labour we can swing it somehow.

I'd sooner have Labour than see people having to go to food banks to survive even while in employment. The Tories and their dystopian nightmare can go to hell.

If it's any consolation I doubt you are ever going to have the option again of voting for a Labour leader who could so easily also be a green leader

Voted!

There was a labour bloke outside my polling station asking if he could know people's polling numbers. I said no on my general principals of suspicion when anyone I don't know asks me anything, but what did he actually want them for? Is it an exit polling thing?

he's called a teller. it's on the BBC news site. nothing too ominous

Yeah, I honestly think the coalition was a disaster for the Lib Dems due to the three points I mention above, but I'll defend most of the actions of the government. With the exception of anything that IDS got his mitts on, because that dude is flat-out evil.

The problem is that by electing a government that carried on the austerity agenda far after it needed to be carried on for, the country has endured needless amounts of pain.

What area has been the biggest loss, south west or Scotland? South west has gone fully Con now but looking through many elections it's been a stronghold for Lib Dem.

StayDead

If it's any consolation I doubt you are ever going to have the option again of voting for a Labour leader who could so easily also be a green leader

As long as the Labour party membership keep voting in Corbyn (which IMO after how amazing he's done this campaign and how popular he seems to be with a lot of people) then I really hope the Labour will finally be a leftist party again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom