• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

gngf123

Finally got home and voted.

Tried one last time to explain to my mum why she shouldn't vote conservative. Doubt I've been successful but it was worth the shot.

Hazzuh

My feelings today:

DBHB7UtXUAI3bb1.jpg

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
I've seen all the anecdotal evidence on twitter of big turnouts but I'm sure we have this evidence at every election. If somehow labour could get in they should make voting mandatory, reform the press, introduce limits to donations and maybe even AV.

It's so funny that people are still entertaining the idea of Labour not being battered, let alone winning.

I actually saw someone else going in to vote at my polling place which has never happened before, even with the referendum. I'm calling voter turnout "the highest ever!" as a result.

Ashes

Banned
It's so funny that people are still entertaining the idea of Labour not being battered, let alone winning.

I actually saw someone else going in to vote at my polling place which has never happened before, even with the referendum. I'm calling voter turnout "the highest ever!" as a result.

Really?

King_Moc

Banned
I've seen all the anecdotal evidence on twitter of big turnouts but I'm sure we have this evidence at every election. If somehow labour could get in they should make voting mandatory, reform the press, introduce limits to donations and maybe even AV.

I'm not sure mandatory voting is all that it's cracked up to be. You'll probably just find lots of people end up ticking the first name on the list or something.

Honestly I don't know how someone can look at the Conservative platform and think 'I want more of that'. What are the positive things they've done apart from marriage equality (which Cameron had to force through against the Right of his own party). I have met people before from the Classical Liberal society at university and are soft conservative voters. They appeared to also be caring people, donating to charities such as those that help the homeless on a regular basis. There are people I have briefly spoken to on the centre-right and had a brief civil and respectful conversation on politics with and I came away with a degree of respect for them. They weren't the US Republican 'private healthcare is the best, etc.' type, thankfully.

I'm not sure mandatory voting is all that it's cracked up to be. You'll probably just find lots of people end up ticking the first name on the list or something.

Yep, wouldn't help at all. Need a bigger emphasis on motivating people to vote, and I think education plays a big role in that.

Empty

yeah australia has mandatory voting and that country is just as right wing as we are

i do think proportional representation would make a big difference though. a lot of the brexit referendum swung on the votes of people in very safe tory seats and very safe labour seats who hadn't felt listened to before.

jelly

Honestly I don't know how someone can look at the Conservative platform and think 'I want more of that'. What are the positive things they've done apart from marriage equality (which Cameron had to force through against the Right of his own party). I have met people before from the Classical Liberal society at university and are soft conservative voters. They appeared to also be caring people, donating to charities such as those that help the homeless on a regular basis. There are people I have briefly spoken to on the centre-right and had a brief civil and respectful conversation on politics with and I came away with a degree of respect for them. They weren't the US Republican 'private healthcare is the best, etc.' type, thankfully.

I think people see it as not rocking the boat, things are shit for many people but I'm doing okay, they aren't doing anything crazy, Brexit aside god what a mess that will be. Whereas other parties are big changes and I dunno, not sure about that, I like the fence I'm sitting on. People fear change. Not sure how Brexit works with that but I guess they see change staying in the EU and want out.

I don't get it either, for 95% of the electorate the Tories are objectively worse.

And didn't Cameron say he regretted that as it caused too much fuss? So the one good thing he did he didn't even like.

yeah australia has mandatory voting and that country is just as right wing as we are

i do think proportional representation would make a big difference though. a lot of the brexit referendum swung on the votes of people in very safe tory seats and very safe labour seats who hadn't felt listened to before.

Proportional representation is something we definitely need. I'm not for mandatory voting though, you have a right to vote, but you also have the right to choose not to vote. I can understand if someone doesn't want to partake in our farcical election system.

Yep, wouldn't help at all. Need a bigger emphasis on motivating people to vote, and I think education plays a big role in that.

Politics should be taught mandatory in schools, it's a farce that it isn't and a stain on 'democracy'. Of course they wouldn't do that though because the Conservatives would never get back in.

For a lot of people Labour is too far left right now. Labour would clean up with a centre left figure.

It really is between the devil and the deep blue sea for many out there. People will take a broken left arm than a right but want neither. Tories will get many reluctant votes.

Ashes

Banned
Tories got in on the immigration debate. Soundbites like you have to build the equivalent of Birmingham every year to fit all the new people in makes people shudder, regardless of how untrue it is.

Also less taxes. Plain and simple.

Brexit not being top billing was a sound election strategy by Labour. A lot of good sound political choices made by Labour. Necessity is the mother of invention! Ah well. Better luck next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom