• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggzy

Best case scenario at this stage, sadly

It is sad isn't. We are at the point where I am happy to limit the Tories rather than beating them.

And considering I live in Leicester South - a safe Labour seat - my vote didn't really matter but I still voted lol.

Audioboxer

Just trying to distract myself now, so will probably refrain from posting. I know the result, doesn't make it any less painful.

The only way to escape despair is to go mad in this topic and then people will pity you rather than laugh at you for being on the losing side.

Time to think tactically to handle all the L's we're going to have to hold by 2am.

well speaking as the sole SNP supporter in a family that has a tory councillour for a brother... >_>

xD

Eeek. I mean, he's your brother and you probably know he is a good guy, but yeah, ouch. Still, politics shouldn't divide families where it's possible to keep friendships/bonds!

That seems way too positive for the SNP. I'm expecting a good result from them, but still sub-50.

SNP campaigner at my polling station this morning genuinely said he thought low 40's. It's going to hurt. Hope Angus keeps his seat as he is who all the media are gunning for. The only way it is less painful is if it's Labour gains. If it's all Tory gains, then, oh dear.

pulsemyne

One would like to think that the right of Labour will now realise that some of the left leaning policies were popular in polling and that they need to actually try and appear more real/less scripted....

... and the left will see they need better presentation and not to be quite so honest on certain things like nukes( to appease those who seem to love them).

I'd like to think that the PLP will at least realise they have to stand for something more than "we're just like the Tories but not quite as bad".

There should be some common ground for both sides of the party.. now more than ever. Lets hope they see that.

Actually all the election has done is strengthen Corbyns hand. Now there are some who may moan and groan against him in the PLP but the also know that in any contest he will now be untouchable.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Ignorant American question: knowing that this is a race between conservatives and labour, why doesn't lib dem vote labour?

It's actually 650 mini elections. Some areas are con/lab some con/lib etc etc. It really depends on who you think is a viable option in your area. Most areas come down to two parties so anyone looking to stop a conservative might vote lib dem because they have a better chance.

Jezbollah

when can we expect results?

First declarations should be made around midnight, with those fun folks in the Sunderland and Newcastle area in their traditional race to count and announce the first result.

It will heat up around 1-2am onwards, straight through to 6am - these are when most of the results will be given.

There are some counts that can last until through the morning - especially if there are recounts.

My god. I had the unfortunate experience of opening up the Yahoo comments section for a polling article. It scarred me of humanity.

The amount of pure unadulterated xenophobia and racist comments is truly shocking. Is this commonplace for news sites? Holy frig.

Biggzy

Exit poll sometime after 10pm. Actual result sometime in the early morning.

Sunderland will give us a good idea if the exit poll is correct considering it is a Labour seat but a city that voted for Brexit: If there is a big swing to the Tories it could be a long night.

empyrean

Makes me sad discussing politics with my friends :( They have all bought into this 'need to be tough on terrorism' and 'be prepared to press the red button' shit, which no amount of logically explaining will get through to them.

Jackpot

Banned
If May does poorly (unlikely) but doesn't lose, they'll put away the knives until Brexit negotiations are complete and her name is inextricably linked to it, then leave her in a ditch to welcome back Boris.

gngf123

My god. I had the unfortunate experience of opening up the Yahoo comments section for a polling article. It scarred me of humanity.

The amount of pure unadulterated xenophobia and racist comments is truly shocking. Is this commonplace for news sites? Holy frig.

Yahoo comments might as well be the daily mail comment section, but yes. This is common and depressing.

Theonik

Ignorant American question: knowing that this is a race between conservatives and labour, why doesn't lib dem vote labour?
Imagine this is the presidential election but there is 650 states and several parties to choose from. Some states also have very weak Labour presence. So to vote strategically is to co-ordinate with your neighbour.

Audioboxer

If May does poorly (unlikely) but doesn't lose, they'll put away the knives until Brexit negotiations are complete and her name is inextricably linked to it, then leave her in a ditch to welcome back Boris.

image.php

56 minutes.

Taker666

Can't wait to feel that great mixture of disappointment and anger again tonight, it's been too long.

I think I'll be ok in that regard.

I've got into the mindset of being happy to know that the majority of people who have voted Tory will have fucked themselves over as well .

Being kicked in the nuts is always more acceptable when you know the people that caused it are about to get their own balls bruised.

Self inflicted pain is always far more amusing.

Hasney

Anyone watching the C4 coverage? I might stick with it and just flip through the other channels every so often. We'll see.

Just stuck it on, 8 out of 10 Cats does Countdown is good anyway.

Also bought a growler of Elvis Juice while I was at BrewDog, so that should take me through it.

pulsemyne

By the way for even more spicey food for thought. If that poll of polls turns out to be correct then one of seat model predictors has the tories on just 339 which would be very tricky territory for may. She would be pretty much as she is now. If it came out like that then she would be fucked.

Ashes

Banned
Hopefully the exit poll is inconclusive...

Let us cling on to hope a little bit longer.

Would be a long night if the Tories pull an SNP in Scotland!

The BBC has received reports concerning voting difficulties in Newcastle-under-Lyme.

Students at Keele University have contacted the BBC to say despite registering, they were unable to cast their vote.

One student, Lucy Walker, said she thought she would be able to vote after registering before the deadline in May.

"A ridiculous number of students were saying they couldn't vote," she told the BBC.

Ms Walker said she rang the local Labour Party office and she said they had received quite a few complaints.

She said the Labour candidate Paul Farrelly rang her and said he would investigate.

"But I still haven't been able to vote today," she added.

We got some real life voter suppression going on right here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/elec...blems&&ns_fee=0#post_5939abe1e4b0831b6702fda7

Anyone watching the C4 coverage? I might stick with it and just flip through the other channels every so often. We'll see.

I found last time that C4 was really interesting in some of their roundtable discussions, the setpiece comedy scripted bits for Paxman flopped though. They're a good one to bounce between.

I bloody love Catsdown though so I'm all for this tonight.

gngf123

If you live in, or know someone in Newcastle-under-Lyme, please send messages out to people saying that if they were caught up in the fuck up earlier which meant people couldn't vote, that they should now be able to. Reports are that it has been fixed.

They might have lost interest, but try and convince them. It's a marginal seat. Their vote counts, and there's only 1 hour left to make it.

Carl

Sunderland will give us a good idea if the exit poll is correct considering it is a Labour seat but a city that voted for Brexit: If there is a big swing to the Tories it could be a long night.

I'm sure they'll be super quick too, as always

Honestly, why the hell doesn't every country have an electoral system in which every vote counts and every vote has the same weight? What's with all these electoral college and region systems?

Uzzy

Honestly, why the hell doesn't every country have an electoral system in which every vote counts and every vote has the same weight? What's with all these electoral college and region systems?

When parties benefit under certain electoral systems and gain power through them, it's less likely they'll want to reform them without major external forces acting against them.

Jezbollah

Each vote has the same weight. You just can't control the political demographic of those who live in the same area as you. Unless you move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom