• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ianan

I've officially lost all hope honestly.
Just got into the discussion with my dad who were voting for.
He's never voted Conservatives in his life and has always been a Labor voter, well he's voting Conservatives cause he can't trust Jeremy Corbyn.

This mentality is in so many older people, fuck.

Okay so Im ready to vote.

I have my poll card but mine arrived days ago? Not today like everyone elses?

I guess have until 10pm to post it but is that just any post box?

also where do I write the party? the space on the right?

gngf123

I really think this is important enough to post again for the new page, with only half an hour left:

If you live in, or know someone in Newcastle-under-Lyme, please send messages out to people saying that if they were caught up in the fuck up earlier which meant people couldn't vote, that they should now be able to. Reports are that it has been fixed.

They might have lost interest, but try and convince them. It's a marginal seat. Their vote counts, and there's only 1 hour left to make it.

Orbis

On a serious note, I wonder how many people have tried posting their polling card.

Pandy

I've done a crate and now I can't even kill this bloody wraith in W3 wdid

I'm lagging behind that because I have to be up early in the morning, but expecting this bottle of Disaronno to be somewhere near the halfway mark by the time Dimbles breaks the news to us.

Morat

Banned

If this is a serious post, go to you local polling station right now.

gngf123

There is a map showing a place near you on that card. Go there. Like right now. You've got 30 minutes until it shuts.

I really hope you were joking though

Syder

Please, tell me you're not serious...

If you're serious, you need to run to your polling station right now.

Final bets: conservatives increase their majority by around 40 seats.

Corbyn stays, at the very least until he finds a successor in him image with less baggage to be dug up.

Criticism and evidence that he didn't do enough with marginal constituencies. Issues with communication and coordination for candidates not aligned with Momentum/seen as Blairites.

Despite having a manifesto preferred by many, including regarding the NHS and public services, most non labour voters didn't consider him a leader by comparison with May, with most of these making a decision due more to press attacks rather than legitimate concerns. Labour suffers most of all in areas it once held but which last year voted for Brexit. Including many working class towns.

May loses more political capital due to result, but kept on as a human shield for Brevit negotiations and resulting effects.

Lib Dems have a poor night. Basically tread water. Not sure if Tim goes or not. I think that an interviewer got it right the other night: they're making the right argument about Brexit but five years too early.

UKIP dead in the water

SNP lose about 8 seats, largely to Tories.
I hope I can laugh at this post for how wrong it is...sigh

Pandy

OK SO THE BIGGEST DECISION OF THE DAY SO FAR.

What to open first.. Mini Wispa bites or mixed Buttons?

Wispa bites are nothing but air.
I'd say go wild with the Buttons first, and then pad out your cravings for more with the Wispa bites as the evening wears on.

Stranya

I've officially lost all hope honestly.
Just got into the discussion with my dad who were voting for.
He's never voted Conservatives in his life and has always been a Labor voter, well he's voting Conservatives cause he can't trust Jeremy Corbyn.

This mentality is in so many older people, fuck.
Many people seem to vote not on policies and manifestos, but which leader they trust and like the look of. And which way their parents voted. My mum and dad were working class, yet they always voted Tory despite the Tories never having done a single fucking thing for them.

No, you go to a polling station and speak to someone - they give you a slip of paper and you post that in their box.

Leave now. Please.

They exist?? Daaaaaaamn. They didnt have any or I would have bought five packs.

I like your style sir :)

EDIT: 30 MINUTES TO GOOOOO

Oh yes, they helped me through a viewing of Alien: Covenant..

dinky-deckers.png

It is when it doesn't provide the result you want.

I know this is an obvious troll attempt because you seem to like doing it to wind people up, because why else would someone try to defend an objectively bad voting system but yes, most of the world recognizes that FPTP is terrible. Don't even try to defend it. Even if UKIP got 20% of the seats under some form of PR I would still ask for it.

Also I should note that I did see a few young people in there when I cast my vote even though it was quite late.

Plum

Nintendo advertising ARMS/Switch on Channel 4 primetime, must be costing them a bit.

That reminds me, thank fuck E3 starts this weekend. Will be a good way to forget the results for a while that doesn't involve ruining your liver.

Ignorant American question: knowing that this is a race between conservatives and labour, why doesn't lib dem vote labour?

Various reasons. Individual seats may be lib/con marginals so voting lab makes no sense. 10% nationally is often 30-40% locally.
Many seats are safe Tory wins, so Liberals like me might as well make our protest vote for the party we like best. The tory arsehole will win it anyway. Roughly equivalent to a Californian voting for a third candidate despite preferring Clinton to Trump.
Lastly, a lot of libdem voters are closer to Tories than Labour, believing in personal freedoms, (regulated) free markets amd devolving power to local level instead of national level. Labour's nationalisation policies and the fact that the leadership are communists might be more scary to them than the tories (I am not one of those Libdem, but they do exist).

Oh, and my two cents on the LibDem 'betrayal' of 2010. I think the big mistake was in making the tuition fee promise without stopping to think whether they could implement it. It came across as a cynical lie to steal the student vote from labour, since the yoof will always hate the establishment and labour had been in power for 13 years. I believe it was incompetence rather than malice, but the end result was that they u-turned on their most publicised policy.

Also, LeedsGAF represent. ThereAreDozensOfUs.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom