• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

VpomRurd

I used to be a staunch defender of the BBC but they've really gone down in my estimation in recent years.

Same. I used to worry that the license fee would be removed and BBC would be privatised/deleted from existence but now? I don't think I could care less about what happens to the BBC.

Good luck to everyone voting. Hopefully Corbyn wins or May loses her majority.

Now that I have voted I just want to say the following, I think the leadership will be poor if May looses her majority (CON infighting), if Corbyn gets in (he is a hard left candidate - tax/nationalise thats all they ever dream about) and a landslide CON victory will mean a hard brexit and more cuts.

Shit all around in my opinion.

I held my nose and voted for Labour

Audioboxer

and think this is just the start. We've got a Labour civil war to look forward to, a Brexit mess to roll around in and then probably another election in a few years.

The worst thing that is going to be done to Corbyn. I've always liked the guy, only ever saying he's not a leader, but I've been convinced there I might have been wrong. He's not going to get the chance though, and the big fear is how far right does Labour veer again once they oust Corbyn?

Goodlife

The worst thing that is going to be done to Corbyn. I've always liked the guy, only ever saying he's not a leader, but I've been convinced there I might have been wrong. He's not going to get the chance though, and the big fear is how far right does Labour veer again once they oust Corbyn?
They won't oust Corbyn.
They will fail miserably, again

Audioboxer

They won't oust Corbyn.
They will fail miserably, again

Nah, Corbyn won't be running for the next election IF it's 3~5 years. He's not going to be gone tomorrow but the Labour in-fighting and backstabbing is going to reach fever pitch if May gets a majority.

This is the manifesto for the young/future to vote for. Good luck with Corbyn's replacement rolling this red carpet out again.

Britain Elects Poll of Polls final.. poll..

Con: 43.7% (+5.9)
Lab: 36.1% (+4.9)
LDem: 8.1% (no change)
UKIP 4.4% (-8.5)
Grn: 2.2% (-1.6)

(Changes w/GE2015 result)

This equates to the following (via http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/userpoll.html):

Con 353 (+19)
Lab 219 (-13)
LDem 5 (-3)
UKIP 0 (-1)
Grn 1 (0)
SNP 55 (-1)

EDIT: Beaten by Mr Beefy. Oh-er.

What is this for a undemocratic system where a rise of Labour votes leeds to lesser seats??? I don't have any faith in the Anglo-American world anymore...

Oh the irony... the West wants to teach the rest of the world a lesson or two about Democracy while having a shitty system themselves.

sammex

Similar problem in Plymouth

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/ply...able-to-vote/story-30379721-detail/story.html

Several people have been turned away at Plymouth polling stations despite having polling cards, The Herald understands.

Numerous Plymouth residents wanting to cast their vote have not been able to.

Despite having registered to vote, and bringing their poling cards with them, staff at stations across the city have had to turn them away because their name is not on the electoral register.

Plymouth City Council is yet to issue an official statement on the matter, but sources from both Labour and Conservatives have told The Herald there will be serious questions asked about the issue in the event of a close result in either constituency.

This is the latest in Plymouth's voting scandal saga, which has seen more than 1,500 people fail to receive their postal votes in time for the General Election

Not good in a marginal seat especially. This could alter the outcome. 523 vote majority in 2015.

Pandy

I used to be a staunch defender of the BBC but they've really gone down in my estimation in recent years.

Likewise, but Iraq war opened my eyes to their willingness to be a UK Gov mouthpiece, and their IndyRef coverage pushed me to finally cancel my TV licence.

Jezbollah

What is this for a undemocratic system where a rise of Labour votes leeds to lesser seats??? I don't have any faith in the Anglo-American world anymore...

I was about to say that I expect this to be a theme over the next few days if this poll reflects reality. What will be said is that this is the effect of the UKIP vote last time, where several million voted for a party that only won one seat.

pulsemyne

A 19 seat gain for the Cons is still a terrible result, right? Still gotta deal with those backbenchers.

Yes as they expected something like a 100+ majority Instead of just 25. There would be knives being sharpened.
As it so happens people inside labour said a few days ago that they expect the tories to be around 350 seats.

Me and family voted, yay! Turns out we were all united this time.

DB0j2I2XUAIXXxd

Jezbollah

350 is squeeky bum time for May. She's just got enough to get by with disruptive backbenchers to consider.

Edit: nice pic Messofanego :)

BibiMaghoo

I've pretty much accepted that the conservatives are going to win, but I'll be happy if they just lose some seats in the process. That would be a good runner to see TM realise calling the election was a mistake, and to be worse of for it. That would give me some satisfaction. I voted but where I live is always either plaid or labour. Other candidates are always a world away in numbers.

Chinner

Banned
Just trying to distract myself now, so will probably refrain from posting. I know the result, doesn't make it any less painful.

MLH

If the Conservatives lose just one seat overall it'll be a great evening for me, a whole election campaign led to nothing but a loss for them, all that expense - I'm sure it'd lead the downfall of the Tories in the next campaign.
As others have said in this thread, I half don't want Labour to win, mostly because they still want to go ahead with Brexit but they'll also end up suffering politically with all the inevitable fallout, leading to even stronger Conservatives in a future election, it would probably haunt Labour for decades more.

Either way, still voted Labour tonight, would be nice to see them win the popular vote if only to highlight our broken electoral system even more.

mo60

If the Conservatives lose just one seat overall it'll be a great evening for me, a whole election campaign led to nothing but a loss for them, all that expense - I'm sure it'd lead the downfall of the Tories in the next campaign.
As others have said in this thread, I half don't want Labour to win, mostly because they still want to go ahead with Brexit but they'll also end up suffering politically with all the inevitable fallout, leading to even stronger Conservatives in a future election, it would probably haunt Labour for decades more.

Either way, still voted Labour tonight, would be nice to see them win the popular vote if only to highlight our broken electoral system even more.

Them winning barely any seats would also be a good night for a lot of people.

Uzzy

Oh the irony... the West wants to teach the rest of the world a lesson or two about Democracy while having a shitty system themselves.

At least our British electoral system will see the party with the most votes take power.

pulsemyne

Them winning 353 seats is a majority of 56 actually and not a majority of just 25.

Your confusing a working majority with a majority over the election line of 326. When we speak of a majority we mean over the 326 number. You need 326 to outnumber your enemy so anything above that is your majority. An increase of just 19 seats would be a bad result for them as with a 20 point poll lead at one point they should have knocking on 400+.

gngf123

Families with massively different political views must be pretty mental if it's a hard Labour/Tory divide. God help any families with UKIP voters.

I'm somewhere around Labour/Greens, as is my cousin.

There are a decent number of UKIP and BNP supporters in this family.

It can be frustrating.

Evening all. Just had myself a little nap. Let's see how this goes. Channel 4 start soon and it includes a Cats do Countdown apparently.

Taker666

and think this is just the start. We've got a Labour civil war to look forward to, a Brexit mess to roll around in and then probably another election in a few years.

One would like to think that the right of Labour will now realise that some of the left leaning policies were popular in polling and that they need to actually try and appear more real/less scripted....

... and the left will see they need better presentation and not to be quite so honest on certain things like nukes( to appease those who seem to love them).

I'd like to think that the PLP will at least realise they have to stand for something more than "we're just like the Tories but not quite as bad".

There should be some common ground for both sides of the party.. now more than ever. Lets hope they see that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom