• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

MegaMelon

Heh even GAME is getting in on this:

msl3Z2C.png

https://twitter.com/GAMEStratford/status/872910984733765632

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Why is polling in the UK and the US so hard? In Germany we have projections as soon as the polling closes and they're usually pretty accurate.

Because it's not a proportional system and it's much harder to weight properly the national polls to fit the structure of the FPTP/electoral college. Practically each contest it's like a small presidential election and the samples are not big enough (it would mean a huge effort to do that) to be as representative as in the case of a proportional system.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
What confuses me is Corbyn specifically ruled out forming a coalition with SNP/Lib Dems did he not? Didn't he shout no deals? Where does that leave us

you have to say that. Labour even have a rule about it.

nobody is going to pass this opportunity up if it's there

CTLance

Soooo...
Things UK politicians in high positions should not do:
* approach married or underage pigs without a supervisor present
* go near magnets
* bet on anything at all
* start wars because they're best buddies with some imbecile

Can't wait for the papers. You guys have such a colourful and biased press, that's gonna be a treat.

hohoXD123

If Corbyn wasn't leader there would have had much more votes for Labour.

Lol no, assuming the youth army delivered based on these results, Labour wouldn't have had that with any other candidate. Corbyn did well. If the PLP didn't organise the most incompetent coup in history then Labour would have had more votes.

Hasney

Taco Bell saved us?

TACO BELL IS LIFE

Seriously though, once those exit polls came in, I ran across the road to the bar that is doing the Labour celebration tomorrow and my god is the mood jovial. The attitude is that it could all be wrong, but we'll deal with the hangover tomorrow. For the next couple of hours, we celebrate.

Also, got here as the landlady was being told the news on the phone and we hugged. Was one of those moments I was so glad to be here for.

Protome

Just imagine what the exit polls would be if the PLP supported Corbyn from the beginning.

Yeah, even if Labour don't come out on top this is showing that people want Corbyn's Labour. PLP standing in the way really have been fucking things over for their party.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
For posterity's sake, I don't believe that poll.

But I hope it proves right. May deserves to be punished. She is a liar, she is irresponsible and she is incompetent.

Oh look, another lazy liberal talking point about how leftist policies inevitably lead to electoral defeat is about to be demolished. Hopefully.

Can we take a moment to appreciate the fact that Lynton Crosby has fucked up for the third time in a row: Australia GE, London Mayor, and now this. Might be seeing the back of him soon. It's all looking quite reminiscent of the last Australian election (incumbent government lost seats when calling election to gain a stronger majority).

What confuses me is Corbyn specifically ruled out forming a coalition with SNP/Lib Dems did he not? Didn't he shout no deals? Where does that leave us

Minority government, OR Conservative/SNP if Nicola plays ball. Farron will be a disgrace if he goes back on those reports he isn't interested in striking a coalition, and any other party would be too small to be justifiable - it would be a naked attempt for the Tories to swallow them into their ranks, rather than a coalition.

Even if they just eek out a majority it's still a loss for May because the whole point of calling this election was to get a huge majority, instead it got them nothing and she looks like an idiot. That's the better case scenario for them too.

Indeed. All that money wasted only to end in a weaker position. Strong and stable my arse.

KORNdoggy

I imagine it was said to maintain a sense of commitment to his own party. But i dont think it's something he would pass up on if it means getting rid of the tories,

Protome

Scotland what are you doing.

Last few polls for Scottish voting intention implied an increase in Labour voters. Wouldn't surprise me if that splits the vote and the Tories don't actually gain that many votes.

Most people don't vote Tactically, they just like Corbyn and didn't realise voting SNP was the best way to support him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom