• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audioboxer

I think the SNP will be fine if they keep above 40 at least, if they get above 45, then definitely shouldn't be a big deal. 2015 was always the insane exception, was never going to be the norm.

I'm fascinated to see the swings, there has to be some really big ones. Like the 2015 swings. Then it'll be where do they end up? Is it Labour getting the seats, or do 2015 SNP voters let Tories in (by voting for Labour or switching to Conservative themselves).

Dopus

Banned
I just had a friend of mine who works in the NHS tell me she decided not to vote...

I... I...

l7XXC71.gif

It's disappointing. The Junior Doctors group on facebook actually had a few people voting for the Tories. I just don't understand the logic.

Par Score

Ok, so, digging into the detail, it looks like ~50 seats are practically toss-ups in the Exit Poll.

No reason to think they'll all fall one way or the other, so you sensibly average it out, but it makes the prediction very susceptible to small variations.

It goes to show how utterly insane the claims of Jeremy Corbyn being "weak" are. Strong and stable leadership from the Conservatives? Two disgraced leaders in a year says otherwise. On the other side, Jeremy Corbyn has endured two leadership challenges and the most sustained media smear campaigns in recent memory and is stronger than ever.

As an American who was shitting on Corbyn, I will happily eat crow and admit I was wrong. Corbyn seems to have proven himself.

Assuming he becomes PM through a minority majority I wish him the best of luck and hopefully he can teach the UK that the Tories have been the problem.

This is an awful result, our currency is going to crash and there will be no workable government

Serves May right for thinking the UK public was "coming together over Brexit" and campaigned heavily on a hard Brexit. We're still divided down the middle on Brexit, and very opinionated about it.

Personally, I'll gladly take a hung parliament over a hard Brexit and getting chummy with Trump.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
On the Roytheone FUCKEDITUP meter (tm), between Canada on one side and America on the other, where are we about right now?

We hit the Trump end with Brexit. This isn't above this. If the poll is correct - big if - it reflects better on the country but probably ends up disrupting it.

May deserves this for triggering an election during article 50's time sensitive negotiations.

Empty

This is an awful result, our currency is going to crash and there will be no workable government

short term currency loss better than the long term catastrophe of may crashing out with no deal while cutting immigration to tens of thousands.

now she has to negotiate with the most pro-european party or call another election from an extreme position of weakness.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Can someone sum up for me what that exit poll means? I'm a dumb American. Is Corbyn PM?

No. He will never be PM.

Still a small majority for Conservative. A slim possibility of a hung government but I think the exit polls are wrong.
Basically Conservatives in with a small majority.

Cirion

Banned
The view that the left shouldnt go all the way is dead now. I hope liberals learn from this./QUOTE]

Especially if going all the way = doing ANY leftwing policies at all

The rewriting and movement of the political axis to the right by liberals and conservatives was really successful in painting run of the mill social democratic positions as somehow "radical" and "unelectable". See Bernie and Corbyn policies compared to for example FDR, who today would most likely be painted as some godless communist hellspawn.

No. He will never be PM.

Still a small majority for Conservative. A slim possibility of a hung government but I think the exit polls are wrong.

The exit poll is predicting them short of a majority.

Edit: Sorry, misread your post!

clockpunk

Blimey, this is all rather unexpected. Mind you, I said that the last few elections, so... I think Joker may just have had a point.

hohoXD123

No. He will never be PM.

The exit poll is more accurate than any of the polls we have had until now lol a hung government is far from a slim possibility.

Can someone sum up for me what that exit poll means? I'm a dumb American. Is Corbyn PM?

Exit poll is just a poll like any other. The difference is that instead of asking people on the street or via phone what they are likely going to vote for, they're asking people coming out of the polling station what they actually voted for.
Of course people may lie, but they've been mostly quite accurate.

Corbyn is not PM, neither is May, though, especially if the Tories lose enough seats so that they do not have the majority anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom