• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHA-Lambda

BAH GOD, MAY MAY NOT EVEN MAKE IT TO SUMMERSLAM

jlCUcwv.png

23649-en71g7.gif

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Houghton & Sunderland South:
Lab: 59.6% (+4.4)
Con: 29.6% (+11.2)
UKIP: 5.7% (-15.8)
LDem: 2.2% (+0.1)
Grn: 1.7% (-1.1)
Ind: 1.2% (+1.2)

Exit poll predicted 65% for Labour, looking a lot like the exit poll is wrong, fuck sake.

Jezbollah

Meadows

Banned
People saying this is bad for labour, but are you not underestimating how the UKIP vote has folded into Tory?

There was always going to be gains in that respect?

If the exit poll was true it should have swung 8% from Tory to Labour not 2.1%

Oriel

I've a vague knowledge of UK politics but how does the Northern Irish Parliment fit in? Sky mentioned something but then said nada

NI Assembly doesn't figure at all. Northern Ireland sends 18 MP's to London but with SF not taking their seats the effective number is lower. Hence why the 326 for a working majority in the Commons is actually less, usually 323-324.

weekev

Banned
Thanks for this detailed post!

One question I'd like to ask is why would May need to resign? Won't she retain her seat in parliament or does she not have one? If she resigns, she will have no role in government whatsoever?
She would resign as PM but likely stay as MP. Her gamble to grow the Tory majority and therefore easily move Brexit legislation through parliament will have failed and she will shrink her majority creating carnage and chaos during Brexit negotiations.

Tregard

Soothsayer
I've a vague knowledge of UK politics but how does the Northern Irish Parliment fit in? Sky mentioned something but then said nada

NI makes up 18 seats, none of which will be the major parties (instead of Labour and Conservative, NI votes DUP, Sinn Fein, SDLP, Alliance etc.), which are essentially free agents to bump a hung parliament over the finish line.

The DUP are absolutely abhorrent however, and Sinn Fein never take their seats and Westminster

Now I sorta see what the worry is. In Labour safe seats those gains by the Tories can be absorbed, but in more narrow cases, it might make the difference.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
need to see more seats. imo the regional swings in this election will be hugely divergent.

Agreed. The exit poll will rarely match individual constituencies, I think. We're watching British politics re-align in a way not seen since the late '70s.

Constituencies don't see uniform swings. Comparing the exit poll to non-marginal seats is silly. The Conservatives still have reasonable odds to get a majority, but this is not evidence of that.

This, but I'd be careful. Sort of hard to tell from seats that aren't targeted marginals.

Not a Brit so no clue about this. Con wining means faster brexit? Or I have it all wrong? Sorry.

Cons winning with a majority means staying on the track of potentially the most disastrously bad Brexit, following Mays insane "no deal is better than a bad deal" mantra and the cons continuous antagonising of the EU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom