• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been there in 2015: Exit polls vs actual results. I'm staying pessimistic concerning the loss of Tory majority. But at least May seems severely damaged, that's better than nothing, isn't it?

Randdalf

General vibe is that exit poll overly pessimistic for tories but realisation that they need a decent majority which they are not going to get.

Another election with new Tory leader looks likely

Won't calling another election, so soon after this one, dent Tory chances of doing well in it though?

RefigeKru

Banned
Got my spliff, got my sushi, got my chocolate hobnobs

Gonna play Rocket League and mayyyybe some Infinite Warfare to calm my nerves, I can't wait for every individual result I'll go fucking mad. Good luck, gentlemen.

Vimes

Does SNP eating it mean indyref2 is over? I live in the US, but I was hoping to get my EU citizenship back by virtue of my mum being Scottish. Fucking brexit.

BigAl1992

Well GAF, I'm going to say goodnight as I have a job interview tomorrow, but this is crazy. Even If the Tories get a majority, Theresa May's career as PM is over. It'll be interesting to see how this all pan out over the coming days and weeks.

openrob

Thanks for this detailed post!

One question I'd like to ask is why would May need to resign? Won't she retain her seat in parliament or does she not have one? If she resigns, she will have no role in government whatsoever?

She would resign as leader of the party, essentially becuase she fucked up and everyone would be pissed off. She would keep her seat and still be an MP.

She doesn't HAVE to resign, I guess, but she aint sticking around in the spotlight. The party wouldn't want her to.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Been there in 2015: Exit polls vs actual results. I'm staying pessimistic concerning the loss of Tory majority. But at least May seems severely damaged, that's better than nothing, isn't it?

2015's exit poll was off by 13, iirc. Small numbers.

Worse case scenario at this point looks like slim Conservative majority. I can live with that.

Par Score

The exit poll is not meant to hit in the safe seats, nobody go doing anything drastic over two results.

The first few marginals will tell the real story. If a couple of predicted Labour gains / holds end up staying / going Tory? Then it's time to neck some of the hard stuff.

If you guys want the perspective of a 19yr olds twitter sphere the mommentum has been full on roll in favour for Corbyn for the last month the tl was gr8 😂
My guys hate May it was cool seeing stormzy, jme and lowkey come out for labour
sZTMwdu_d.jpg

Qw2aim1_d.jpg

6q4rsaE_d.jpg

mi8obgq_d.jpg

isuDSA2_d.jpg

cartesian

I think the Conservatives are getting their majority. Just can't see a hung Parliament. I would be thrilled but I just can't see it. The initial results are not heartening.

Edit: well, heartening in the sense that the Con majority should slim, but very disappointing that the opportunity for progressive govt may have been narrowly missed.

PJV3

2015's exit poll was off by 13, iirc. Small numbers.

Worse case scenario at this point looks like slim Conservative majority. I can live with that.

Yep, good luck managing the Tory party loons in the coming months.

gngf123

Won't calling another election, so soon after this one, dent Tory chances of doing well in it though?

I can see papers going with "The conservative party won the first election, holding a second is undemocratic!" and morons buying it and we get a majority second time around.

That or the conservatives get a shock to the system and they start campaigning better. Either is bad for Labour.

But then again, it might also wake up those who thought Labour had no chance. So who knows.

Biggzy

There is that. Even if the exit poll is wrong and the Tories get a majority, it is unlikely they will get an increased majority and May will be damaged goods.

Yeah, I'm going to leave this until tomorrow and get the results. I've avoided this thread (and most election coverage) for the most part because for the last year I've just been a wreck of anxiety and well GAF threads aren't usually helpful in keeping it under control.

Have fun you crazy late night kids.

Audioboxer

Does SNP eating it mean indyref2 is over? I live in the US, but I was hoping to get my EU citizenship back by virtue of my mum being Scottish. Fucking brexit.

It passed in the Scottish Parliament so it will likely go ahead once Brexit happens. At this point though it shows the Scots would rather leave the EU than leave the UK. Even with the remain majority.

Oriel

So it may end up back to square one with a Tory majority roughly the same as before the election was called. A complete waste of time in other words.

At the moment all I can think about in my mind is all the 'Thick of It' style shenanigans and scheming that must be happening inside the parties right now.

Juicy Bob

Yeah, the only reason I'm worried is because we were hit by that exit poll hope-bomb.

If the Tories lose any seats and Labour gain any, that's a fucking win.

The unionist parties will try and argue this, but the current sitting session of Scottish Parliament has voted in favour of it and 34 seats is still over half of the Scottish seats available. It just looks bad because of how ridiculously well they did in 2015.

In short, because of Brexit, Indy2 is not going away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom