• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF |OT2| - We Blue Ourselves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Westminster will implement equal marriage rights here; the dup can blame then when it comes in.

Ah, alright. Thought so.

Ivan Lewis, Labour's Shadow Secretary of State, says if Direct Rule returns he/Labour would advocate for a referendum which is an awful idea considering Westminster could just implement it. It would be setting a bad precedent too.

That's weird as hell, although from my perspective in NI, more likely to make progress on the subject than what's currently happening. But yeah, simply implementing it would be much smoother.

Can't believe we've rejected the Right to Die law... I thought our country was better than this.

The country is: however the country keeps electing conservative MPs for both red and blue.

We still have bishops in the HoL ffs.

Weirder was the Purdah bill. LDs voted with the government to allow for government departments to put out stuff that could influence the vote. It failed anyway - Labour, the SNP and the anti-Europe Tories shot it down. Would have been nice to have, though. Having the foreign office dropping truthfacts every time Farage made something up would have been fun and it's have allowed local councils to remind voters about all the European Development Fund projects that they directly benefit from...

Jezbollah

The country is: however the country keeps electing conservative MPs for both red and blue..

If this is the case, then they've been doing this for 20 years. Back then, in the last vote for Right To Die, 72% of MP voted against the bill, whereas this time around it was 74%...

Volotaire

My popcorn is ready.

ygZSd.gif

Nicktendo86

Can't believe we've rejected the Right to Die law... I thought our country was better than this.
I've not seen it but apparently the debate in the chamber was very good, with a lot of emotion.

Edit: by the way, rumours doing the rounds that Corbyn will win on the first round with 53% and is too chicken shit to face Dave at pmq's every week so will delegate to other MPs.

If this is the case, then they've been doing this for 20 years. Back then, in the last vote for Right To Die, 72% of MP voted against the bill, whereas this time around it was 74%...

Yup. Often the MPs's job getting elected was just to appeal to a local party's selection committee. They don't really care about the constituents - the local area elects the same-coloured rosette each time. So why should they care if the public supports something?

Labour is small-c conservative on social issues and always has been. As long as Labour and the Tories are the two largest parties, breakthrough human rights stuff is off the agenda.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
As long as Labour and the Tories are the two largest parties, breakthrough human rights stuff is off the agenda.

That seems unduly pessimistic to me. After all, we've had in my lifetime the abolition of the death penalty, the legalisation of gay sex, legalisation of abortion, no-fault divorce. All of them breakthrough at the time, as obvious as they might seem in hindsight.

Maledict

I've not seen it but apparently the debate in the chamber was very good, with a lot of emotion.

Edit: by the way, rumours doing the rounds that Corbyn will win on the first round with 53% and is too chicken shit to face Dave at pmq's every week so will delegate to other MPs.

Emotion doesn't mean anything when you get people like the SNP health spokeswoman saying:

'What we need is better palliative care, so that everyone can journey to a beatiful death'.

My actual response to that shite is unprintable, but as the brother of someone with extremely aggressive MS, she can go fuck herself. The right over your own body is the most fundamental right of all and the notion that somehow this is morally wrong is repugnant to me.

All the emotion in the world doesn't change the fact that MPs voting against this are wrong and making decisions for people in the utmost awful circumstances that only make their lives worse.

Jezbollah

Hmm, I'm coming over in December. Will the UK Labor fall into a heap like I've been reading if Jeremy wins? It's been getting pretty little press here, but what press there has been is rather dim on him.

I think December is a little too soon to see anything major happen, but you can be assured that the Conservatives have an effective plan in place to face a Corbyn Labour Party on the long-term leading up to 2020.

Jezbollah

Sky News breaking that Corbyn has won in the first round.

EDIT:

Labour Party Deputy Leader Election results

Ben Bradshaw OUT Rd1,
Angela Eagle, OUT Rd2,

Caroline Flint, Rd3, 22.8%
Stella Creasy, Rd3 26.4%
Tom Watson, Rd3, 50.7%

Tom Watson MP is elected Deputy Leader of the Labour Party.

Jezbollah

Labour Party Leader Election results:

Liz Kendall 4.5%
Yvette Cooper 17%
Andy Burnham 19%
Jeremy Corbyn 59.5%

Jeremy Corbyn MP is elected Labour Party Leader

Biggzy

The scale of his victory surely means the right of the Labour party needs to have a massive rethink about trying to oust him right away.

Jezbollah

The scale of his victory surely means the right of the Labour party needs to have a massive rethink about trying to oust him right away.

I think the only ousting that may happen right now will be of the Blairite variety. - IMO Corbyn has a couple of years before any such plans to get rid of him may boil to the surface.

Volotaire

New betting odds

Next LAB leader betting from Hills
3/1 Umunna
7/2 Jarvis
5/1 Watson
7/1 D Miliband
8/1 Hunt;
12/1 Cooper & Reeves

EDIT:

ED Miliband, as expected, is confirmed to remain on the backbench.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
New betting odds

Next LAB leader betting from Hills
3/1 Umunna
7/2 Jarvis
5/1 Watson
7/1 D Miliband
8/1 Hunt;
12/1 Cooper & Reeves

EDIT:

ED Miliband, as expected, is confirmed to remain on the backbench.

why would you even offer odds on david miliband? he's not an MP, now he lost to Ed already, and he's a Blairite when the last Blairite candidate took 4.5%. he had a chance once (twice if you include the almost coup over Brown), and he fluffed it (both times), he has no serious career at this point. Similarly, like, why would you even have odds for Hunt and Cooper, a.k.a. Tristram 'wouldn't know working class if it hit him in the face' Hunt and Yvette 'lost to Corbyn and is probably a robot' Cooper, and not have odds for Eagle or Nandy? literally terrible, no wonder they gave Corbyn 100/1, they have no idea what is going on.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

i mean, just to make it clear, he won by a bigger margin than blair did in '94

people quitting the shadow cabinet are stupid. the labour cabinet have a surprising amount of power and influence. if you're a rightwing candidate, by far the best thing you can do right now fypov is to get in there and try and moderate the situation, not commit career suicide by going to the backbenches and drifting over time into some obscure backbencher. nobody will know who rachel reeves is in 2020.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Reeves is the only real loss out of that group.

The scale of the victory is, IMO, irrelevant to the plans of the potential ousters - it's not the £3, signed-up-6-weeks-ago voters that they're worried about, it is the other 65 million.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The scale of the victory is, IMO, irrelevant to the plans of the potential ousters - it's not the £3, signed-up-6-weeks-ago voters that they're worried about, it is the other 65 million.

Yes and no. In Corbyn's current position of power, he could probably squeeze through mandated reselection if he wanted to - it'd go to a vote with the Labour membership, which he controls. The only people who will still rebel in the face of that are those who very highly suspect they'll lose their seats, which is not most of them because, being Labour bigwigs in their previous lives, they mostly have safe seats.

Yes and no. In Corbyn's current position of power, he could probably squeeze through mandated reselection if he wanted to - it'd go to a vote with the Labour membership, which he controls. The only people who will still rebel in the face of that are those who very highly suspect they'll lose their seats, which is not most of them because, being Labour bigwigs in their previous lives, they mostly have safe seats.

But in this scenario, why wouldn't Corby wan't to reselect them anyway? That way he removes the threat from the PLP and if they're in safe seats, he doesn't need to worry about losing an MP anyway.

ruttyboy

Watching the interviews with Conservatives on the BBC, there must have been some intensive work on making sure they knew what they were supposed to say, they all have the same speech prepared about how Labour are a threat to 'National Security', the economy, but the people most at risk are YOUR family, oh and of course the 'working class' should be petrified as Jeremy is coming for them!

Their rhetoric is hilariously alarmist, if I didn't know who they were actually talking about, you could convince me they were propagandising about ISIS.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
But in this scenario, why wouldn't Corby wan't to reselect them anyway? That way he removes the threat from the PLP and if they're in safe seats, he doesn't need to worry about losing an MP anyway.

They'll make a big fuss if they're going to be killed off. It's not worth the trouble, provided they don't make too much of a fuss now (which is why they won't).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom