• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF |OT2| - We Blue Ourselves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicktendo86

Looking forward to voting in the council and mayoral elections on Thursday, but I have absolutely no idea who to vote for in the PCC election. I've heard absolutely nothing from any of the candidates, nothing in the post. Hell, I don't know who any of the candidates are, let alone who would be best for the job.

Anyone else find this in places that are having a PCC election?

Beefy

Looking forward to voting in the council and mayoral elections on Thursday, but I have absolutely no idea who to vote for in the PCC election. I've heard absolutely nothing from any of the candidates, nothing in the post. Hell, I don't know who any of the candidates are, let alone who would be best for the job.

I have a easy choice. My local MP got a mock award for being the laziest person in parliament. I think he has only turned up the the bare minimum of meetings. His office is in the same office as a Conserative club and he is always in there chilling and having a pint.

Yeah. I have no clue who the candidates are for the PCC here. So I won't be voting on that.

Nicktendo86

I've had no literature at all, for any of the local elections, apart from a booklet explaining the process of voting for London Mayor and a leaflet from the Women's equality party. I'm usually bombarded with leaflets so I'm scratching my head a bit.

I have a easy choice. My local MP got a mock award for being the laziest person in parliament. I think he has only turned up the the bare minimum of meetings. His office is in the same office as a Conserative club and he is always in there chilling and having a pint.

Yeah. I have no clue who the candidates are for the PCC here. So I won't be voting on that.

I don't think your MP is up for election on Thurs though. You're stuck with him until the next General Election in 2020, right?

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

My rule of thumb for PCC is to go for someone without party alignment but with experience in criminal justice, and then to cross off all barristers and ex-policeman. That basically leaves independent ex-magistrates. So that's who I'll be voting for.

My rule of thumb for PCC is to go for someone without party alignment but with experience in criminal justice, and then to cross off all barristers and ex-policeman. That basically leaves independent ex-magistrates. So that's who I'll be voting for.

Why no barristers, if you don't mind me asking?

I'll probably try looking for candidate information online on Wednesday night, but it's odd to see an election that apparently no one cares about winning!

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Why no barristers, if you don't mind me asking?

I'll probably try looking for candidate information online on Wednesday night, but it's odd to see an election that apparently no one cares about winning!

For much the same reason as the police - the tendency to have a distorted view of the justice system. For police it's because they are only ever on one side - for barristers it's because they are (generally) on one level, they'll typically be appearing at Crown Court if they are any good and miss the perspective of the vast majority of crime that never gets there.

That's why I think magistrates would tend to make for good PCCs - JPs see every case even if it ends up in Crown Court (and any individual JP sees a healthy sample of them). Also JPs do, and barristers don't, get to sign warrants and therefore day by day see the sorts of shenanigans that go on.

EDIT: If you're still in the Avon & Somerset area, this means I'll be voting for Sue Mountstevens (who is the incumbent and also who I voted for first time around).

Uzzy

That's certainly a smart idea. I just checked my local candidates and there's no independents, just representatives of the four major parties. Looks like the Labour guy is the only one with any experience in criminal justice, with 30 years as a police officer.

For much the same reason as the police - the tendency to have a distorted view of the justice system. For police it's because they are only ever on one side - for barristers it's because they are (generally) on one level, they'll typically be appearing at Crown Court if they are any good and miss the perspective of the vast majority of crime that never gets there.

That's why I think magistrates would tend to make for good PCCs - JPs see every case even if it ends up in Crown Court (and any individual JP sees a healthy sample of them). Also JPs do, and barristers don't, get to sign warrants and therefore day by day see the sorts of shenanigans that go on.

EDIT: If you're still in the Avon & Somerset area, this means I'll be voting for Sue Mountstevens (who is the incumbent and also who I voted for first time around).

Interesting approach! Nice to see the reasoning behind it.

I believe I am in the same area as you, as I think Bristol falls into the mysterious non-county of 'Avon'.

Mr. Sam

Channel 4 news has been covering it, and indeed investigating it, pretty extensively. I suppose I'd be a conspiracy theorist if I were to wonder why it's not getting much coverage by more mainstream outlets.

Channel 4 news has been covering it, and indeed investigating it, pretty extensively. I suppose I'd be a conspiracy theorist if I were to wonder why it's not getting much coverage by more mainstream outlets.

I'm assuming it's mostly because only Channel 4 have the actual data - so for others, you're secondhand reporting allegations you can't back up or go in depth as much - and you end up more just reporting the denials of the MPs. That said - there has been unusually little follow up.

Until that is, the electoral commission make a decision, that's something a bit more solid.

More than anything, people going BBC NOT COVERING SOMETHING WHINE is always annoying because it's 99% of the time bollocks, just nutters on Twitter have decided it's a coverup when the BBC most likely have covered it a bit, but just not with the BASTARD LYING TORIES headline the tweets want

I'm assuming it's mostly because only Channel 4 have the actual data - so for others, you're secondhand reporting allegations you can't back up or go in depth as much - and you end up more just reporting the denials of the MPs. That said - there has been unusually little follow up.

Until that is, the electoral commission make a decision, that's something a bit more solid.

More than anything, people going BBC NOT COVERING SOMETHING WHINE is always annoying because it's 99% of the time bollocks, just nutters on Twitter have decided it's a coverup when the BBC most likely have covered it a bit, but just not with the BASTARD LYING TORIES headline the tweets want

Sorry for being a nutter :) I would just be happy with BBC acknowledging the extension today - which they did after my post.

Empty

Can't decide whether to vote Green again or vote Labour to back Corbyn.

if you don't back corbyn u won't see a leader with his priorities in charge of a major political party again for a long long time. corbyn is basically a green mp, even if his party has a diverse range of voices and challenges him. access for a green leader to labour name loyalty, infrastructure, media coverage is an extraordinary opportunity.

green party will be forever at the margins of british politics, even if we get election reform and they become a regular small coalition partner. i mean if you believe in them then it's important to vote for them to show that there is a level of support for their alternative, but it's not moving anywhere.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
BBC said:
Voters are to head to the polls in a series of elections across the UK on what has been dubbed "Super Thursday".

Well, they can just fucking well un-dub it then. We are brits not yanks.

Quick coffee and shower for me before popping out to vote. I trust you lot will do your duty too.

I'm not voting I don't think (English Council). Despite being - as you may have guessed - pretty engaged politically, I'm a young guy with a job, a private rental and no kids. I even have a special shed where the bins go before being collected. The make up of the local council has very little impact on me, and I would literally just be voting for a party as I have no literature whatsoever. Who caaaarrreeesss.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I'm not voting I don't think (English Council). Despite being - as you may have guessed - pretty engaged politically, I'm a young guy with a job, a private rental and no kids. I even have a special shed where the bins go before being collected. The make up of the local council has very little impact on me, and I would literally just be voting for a party as I have no literature whatsoever. Who caaaarrreeesss.

Must admit I pay a load more attention to local politics since I opened the shop rather than just having a regular job. I guess it's for two reasons (a) I'm much more tied in with the local economy and see at close hand the impact of Council decisions on pretty well everything, and (b) I meet a lot more local people and get to chat about what is affecting them.

It came as a bit of a surprise just how much of a difference even individual non-majority Councillors can make to the town. And that covers planning, employment, social services, healthcare, business-friendliness etc etc. Even such mundane things as the management of parks and roadworks make an enormous difference.

So I understand where you are coming from, but a bit disappointed in your not voting.

Must admit I pay a load more attention to local politics since I opened the shop rather than just having a regular job. I guess it's for two reasons (a) I'm much more tied in with the local economy and see at close hand the impact of Council decisions on pretty well everything, and (b) I meet a lot more local people and get to chat about what is affecting them.

It came as a bit of a surprise just how much of a difference even individual non-majority Councillors can make to the town. And that covers planning, employment, social services, healthcare, business-friendliness etc etc. Even such mundane things as the management of parks and roadworks make an enormous difference.

So I understand where you are coming from, but a bit disappointed in your not voting.

Sure, and I don't doubt that they are important - just not to me. It's a London commuter town, so other than the odd trip to Prezzo as a Thursday treat if we can find a voucher, my girlfriend and I hardly interface with the town at all. I get up, walk to the station, spend my day in London then come home to sleep. I'm not being altruistic or anything, but I'm happy for my absence to ever so slightly amplify the power of those who do feel invested enough to vote.

Do you not get a vote in the London mayoral Cyclops? I thought you'd at least be voting in that.

I've got to say, I'm spoilt for choice in the Bristol mayoral: all the major parties, plus a decent number of independents (including the incumbent).

I went to the Mayoral hustings, which was only for party-backed candidates, and at least two of the independents turned up to complain about how they didn't have a seat on the panel, including one old guy wearing a red fedora with a white feather in it. The other independent stormed off telling the audience to "enjoy the genocide in Iraq". Not sure either of them won my vote but it was good to see people passionate about politics I guess.

Will be dropping into the polling station on my way in to work. Still don't know who to vote for in the PCC though. Might skip that one.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Fair enough. I used to live in a pleasant sleepy market town that almost overnight turned into a commuter town when Thameslink opened, it lost its soul.

EDIT: Placed my vote. Mountstevens for PCC! And that's it - no council elections, nothing mayoral. Those three people manning the polling station are in for a very boring day (they had a little fight over which one got to take my voting card!).

cabot

I'll be voting double Greens today, then just choose the parties in order of how much I like them for council.

I don't want the SNP to completely overload Holyrood, and Greens have been pretty decent with pushing themselves at least in my flat, I don't expect any other party to be an option. I think they're likely to win the regional seat (Patrick Harvie is the candidate), and while I am not so sure about the normal seat, they do have a shot. So why the hell not?

Mr. Sam

I've done my duty - voted for mayor, assembly and council.

Now I just need to persuade my girlfriend to vote, which is a much more arduous process than I thought it'd be, considering this is someone who followed the general election coverage until about four in the morning.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Unfortunately I'm away in London so can't vote today... one of the candidates for PCC in Nottingham is currently involved in a court case for allegedly raping a 16 year old.....

Fair enough. I used to live in a pleasant sleepy market town that almost overnight turned into a commuter town when Thameslink opened, it lost its soul.

EDIT: Placed my vote. Mountstevens for PCC! And that's it - no council elections, nothing mayoral. Those three people manning the polling station are in for a very boring day (they had a little fight over which one got to take my voting card!).

I went for Mountstevens too, basically just because it was the only name I recognised, and that's only because you mentioned her. So I guess she's got you to thank if she wins by one vote ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

cabot

Will we ever see online voting?

Part of me thinks the Tories would never push it, because it's basically opening the floodgates for a whole load of people that probably wouldn't vote for them.

Jezbollah

Part of me thinks the Tories would never push it, because it's basically opening the floodgates for a whole load of people that probably wouldn't vote for them.

I'd like to see it - it depends if it could be completely secure and not open to abuse.

Moosichu

I'd like to see it - it depends if it could be completely secure and not open to abuse.

Yeah, it would have to be done through some kind of verified and audited mechanism, ideally the entire system should be open-source as well.

tomtom94

Would not surprise me in the least if Greens/SNP proposed it at the next General.

mclem

Voters are to head to the polls in a series of elections across the UK on what has been dubbed "Super Thursday".
Well, they can just fucking well un-dub it then. We are brits not yanks.

Super's way too enthusiastic, too, that's terribly un-British. Where's that healthy contempt? "Tolerable Thursday"? "Tedious Thursday"? "Tiresome Thursday"?

Quick coffee and shower for me before popping out to vote. I trust you lot will do your duty too.

I'll pop into the polling station on my way home.

Turns out my work building is a polling station, I notice as I walked in today.

Amusingly it's not mine, but seeing as it's the city hall I'm all fine with that as it's a proper fancy building. No primary school offices or village halls for me!

mclem

I went to the Mayoral hustings, which was only for party-backed candidates, and at least two of the independents turned up to complain about how they didn't have a seat on the panel, including one old guy wearing a red fedora with a white feather in it.

Is he campaigning on a platform of supplying healing to those communities who are suffering but bringing fire and brimstone down upon those who deserve it?

atjpB1E.gif

tomtom94

I am very disappointed to learn that Corbyn has voted already, I was expecting him to do it at the last minute on his way back from work like he did his tax return. #nomanofthepeople

Oh, and the government's going to take the Medway centre over from G4S after Panorama investigations. Draw your own conclusions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom