• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF |OT2| - We Blue Ourselves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you not get a vote in the London mayoral Cyclops? I thought you'd at least be voting in that.
I live in Hertfordshire now!

Re: the online voting thing, there was an interesting thread on here a short while ago about why it's hard to replicate our existing voting system online,b because you can either have fraud protections or anonymity but not both. If you have to "sign in" to register then by definition it's not anonymous (even if no one, in theory, can see that you voted or whom for, it's there in the system).

cabot

Eh, I'd sacrifice the strict definition of anonymity for a much easier way of voting that would probably shoot the turnout right up to high levels.

Most of the big services on the internet have you sacrificing it anyway.

Just make sure theres decent regulation if a leak happens, punishment is appropriate.

edit: Issues with anonymity would be solved by making it optional, the people who have a problem vote physically as normal.

I look at online voting as a solution to better representation across all generations and higher turnout.

*Splinter

Eh I don't buy that it would be that hard to do. Surely you can have a system that non-anomously registers that you have voted without storing your actual vote in the same place.

And as the fool above me said, it shouldn't be a deal breaker even if true anonymity were somehow impossible

I quite like the twee-ness of voting like we do. But that's not hugely a reason to make a decision on voting system.

That said, I'm intrigued with the idea of bank holidays as polling days. I'd be interested to see if that makes a difference.

Moosichu

I quite like the twee-ness of voting like we do. But that's not hugely a reason to make a decision on voting system.

That said, I'm intrigued with the idea of bank holidays as polling days. I'd be interested to see if that makes a difference.

They should be mid week though, to limit the number of people who would use it as an opportunity for a holiday.

Protome

My recycle bin is almost entirely full with lib dem junk mail. Not sure who I'm voting for today but it sure as hell won't be them.

Nicktendo86

Will we ever see online voting?

Part of me thinks the Tories would never push it, because it's basically opening the floodgates for a whole load of people that probably wouldn't vote for them.

Personally I don't even like postal voting due to it being open to fraud, let alone online. But I'm a life long Tower Hamlets resident so am probably more suspicious than most.

Pretty shocking fuckup in Barnet today, I don't think they got it sorted until 10:40. If Khan wins by a narrow margin expect a legal challenge.

He won't though, he will win easy.

Is he campaigning on a platform of supplying healing to those communities who are suffering but bringing fire and brimstone down upon those who deserve it?

atjpB1E.gif

That's uncanny!

And I really don't know what is platform is tbh. I hope he gets his £500 back though.

I live in Hertfordshire now!

"That London" is a bit of a mystery to me, I don't really know where it starts and ends.

"That London" is a bit of a mystery to me, I don't really know where it starts and ends.

Aye, it's weird. Epsom in the South is closer to Charring Cross than Uxbridge is in the West, yet Epsom is Surrey and Uxbridge is London. Where I grew up - Sutton - is in South London (I could have voted for Mayor if I lived there long enough when I was over 18) but all my life I'd listed my address as "Sutton, Surrey".

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Personally I don't even like postal voting due to it being open to fraud, let alone online. But I'm a life long Tower Hamlets resident so am probably more suspicious than most.

Hahahaha

I'm with you. Personally I don't see the government being able to produce a secure and reliable online voting system. Just make voting mandatory.

Voted.

The Hulton ward, Bolton election was a three way race between UKIP, Labour and the Conservatives. I wasn't voting UKIP and found that the Conservative candidate was a former English Democrat so that only left me with the Labour Candidate who I voted for.

For the London Mayoral election my first choice was Lee Harris (Cannabis is safer than Alcohol), the race is two way between Labour and Tory so my second choice was one of those. Chose Goldsmith (Conservative) partly for the purely selfish reason that I didn't trust Khan to get the Night Tube running very quickly if at all.

The City and East constituency of the GLA is overwhelmingly Labour so my vote is irrelevant. I ended up voting for the Green candidate because she really seemed to care about the constituency. She had a passion to do the right thing that is rarely seen in politics. Pity she won't win.

And for the London wide constituency of the GLA, (which mercifully is elected proportionally so no need for strategy) I voted for the Lib Dems as they are closest to my views in politics ATM.

Ended up voting for a rainbow of parties which certainly wasn't my intention.

Edit: As for PCC, I happen to live in the only two regions in England and Wales that didn't elect one today. (London's is apparently combined with the Mayorship though.)

CCS

Banned
Didn't vote today, mostly because my choice was between voting at uni, where I will be living for approximately the next six weeks and then never again, or at home, where the Tories could put up a monkey and they would win.

mclem

That's certainly a smart idea. I just checked my local candidates and there's no independents, just representatives of the four major parties. Looks like the Labour guy is the only one with any experience in criminal justice, with 30 years as a police officer.
Having done my research, I also have no independent candidates, but the LD one was a magistrate. That seems the most promising option.

Edit: Well, this is curious. The Conservative candidate according to what look like official records isn't the candidate according to their own website. Given he's one ward away alphabetically, I suspect someone's screwed up somewhere.

Edit2: Ah, it's because googling the candidate comes up with the 2013 page, and it looks like he campaigned for a different ward back then.

Beefy

Voted Labour, as the guy was the only one to actual say what he wanted to bring to my area.

Also voted Labour for the PCC, as he was the only one to talk about people with mental health issues needing to be treated better.

Any of ScotGAF kicking about? I wound up voting SNP for the Constituency vote, and Lib Dems for the Regional vote.

I was between both parties, so I split the vote tactically. And by tactically, I mean trying to keep Murdo Fraser and Liz Smith out if possible.

Good show Quiche!

Now, can I tempt you into voting to remain in the EU?

Why, of cou...HEYYYYY

Edit:

My wife is doing both poll clerking and vote counting for these elections. Apparently you can make some decent cash! I'd recommend people sign up ASAP for poll clerk or count assistant at the Brexit referendum if they want some (relatively) easy (but probably quite tedious) money.

I'm going to say 4% turnout for PCC in the south-west (where Council elections aren't taking place concurrently). Anyone want to go higher or lower?

Kathian

Banned
Was almost going to give my list to Labour after Davidson was starting to really grate me. Everyone had quite good slogans on the ballot. Labour had "kids not cuts" and I realised how inept a party they are.

I honestly think that will hurt them at the ballot. SNP and Tories mention their leader.

Empty

mcdonnell on sky suggesting that any labour improvement in vote share from -7% last year is a win

setting expectations at absolutely nothing lol

Kathian

Banned
Seriously of their doing bad on constituency I think the list will be at lost worse. All the advertising you can pay for; all the doorstops - the slogan on the list vote is seen by EVERYONE.

SNP - Reelect Nicola Sturgeon
Conservatives - Something Ruth Davidson
Labour - Kids not Cuts

I mean comon!

Sounds like a car crash from BBC Scotland for Labour.

Three ballot papers today. Voted Labour across all three and have Plaid Cymru as my second choice for another.I just can't bring myself to vote Lib Dems yet... They need to spend a bit longer in the dog house.

Labour's Thomas Docherty (lost his Parliamentary seat last May) described Scottish Labour's manifesto and campaign as being, "Self-immolation for Dummies".

Ouch.

Nicktendo86

John Curtice: If Rutherglen swing is replicated in other seats Labour is trying to defend, the party will lose all of its constituency seats

PJV3

Not too shabby for labour in the end, after the recent battering over Livingstone I was expecting much worse.

Imagine what could be possible if the Welsh, Scottish and parliamentary party started helping Corbyn.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Meanwhile in Wales, Labour lose the Rhonnda to Plaid Cymru.

"We didn't see that coming" says Welsh Labour leader Carwyn Jones.

I wonder which bit of the hugely popular, local, high profile, feisty Plaid Cymru leader Leanne Wood they didn't see coming.

EDIT: Also, the UKIP candidate couldn't even spell the name of the constituency!

Maledict

I can't believe at the performance the tories are having in Scotland, fucking embarrassed :(

They have a hugely popular leader who connects incredibly well with one of the pillars of traditional Tory support - aspirational working class voters. The Tories have also been smart enough to give her room to run the party how she wants and put some distance between herself and Westminster.

And to be fair to her, she *is* a very charismatic leader. And the sheer fact the Tory party is achieving success with an openly LGBT leader is... Shocking. This country's progress on LGBT issues over the last -5 years continues to astonish me on a regular basis.

Gavin Robertson

Neo Member
I feel ashamed to be Scottish, after everything Thatcher and Co. did to my country I never thought I'd see results like this in my lifetime, how quickly folk forget.

Having spoken to several friends who were firm no's to independence, they seemed split yesterday between "SNP are gonna win so why even bother voting" and "well, Labour shit the bed so voting Tory is my only option because the others are basically a wasted vote". Sad times, but many in that 55% see the SNP as a single issue party unfortunately and until Labour get their shit together....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom