• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF |OT2| - We Blue Ourselves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicktendo86

I cannot take this odious shit of a Chancellor anymore, the latest brexit scare story on pensions completely ignores the triple lock. Cretin.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...ave-european-union-says-tory-mp-a7054696.html

David Cameron will be “toast within days” if Britain votes to leave the European Union, a Tory MP has said as she called for a vote of no confidence in the Prime Minister live on television.

The intervention by Nadine Dorries, Conservative MP for Mid Bedfordshire, comes amid an intense escalation of in-fighting in the party and bitter personal attacks over the referendum on June 23. Brexit heavyweights Michael Gove, Boris Johnson and Priti Patel all questioned the Prime Minister’s credibility.

Speaking on ITV’s Peston on Sunday, Ms Dorries revealed that she has already submitted her letter to Graham Brady, chairman of the 1922 Committee, calling for a vote of no confidence in Mr Cameron. She also confirmed she was supporting Mr Johnson, the former Mayor of London, to succeed Mr Cameron.Party rules dictate that 50 backbenchers must follow suit to trigger a vote of no confidence.

She said: “My letter is already in. If the Remain camp wins by a large majority – I think it would have to be 60/40 – then David Cameron might just survive but if Remain win by a narrow majority or lose...he’s toast within days.

"He has lied profoundly, and I think that is actually really at the heart of why Conservative MPs have been so angered. To say that Turkey is not going to join the European Union as far as 30 years is a lie.

"There are many issues about which David Cameron has told outright lies, and because of that, trust has gone in both him and George Osborne... and it will be very hard for either of them to survive in the future," the Mid-Bedfordshire MP told ITV's Peston on Sunday.

Ms Dorries insisted a "considerable" number of Tory MPs shared her view.

Andrew Bridgen, another backbench Tory MP, had earlier warned that more than 50 MPs are ready to move against the Prime Minister. Breaking ranks to talk openly of a bid to topple the Prime Minister, Mr Bridgen warned anger in the Tory party was now so intense a challenge was "probably highly likely" as he warned the alternative was a "zombie parliament".

"I think it's going to be very, very difficult to pull all the sides together and have a working majority going forward," Mr Bridgen told BBC Radio Five's Pienaar's Politics.

Asked if a vote of no confidence against Mr Cameron would happen, the MP said: "It depends how the next few weeks go, but if true to form, I think there's at least 50 colleagues who are dissatisfied with the way that the Prime Minister has put himself front and centre of a fairly outrageous Remain campaign. I think that's probably highly likely."

The MP insisted the situation was now so dire an emergency general election would be needed before Christmas to restore order.

He added: "We have a very small majority on paper. I think we've seen over the last six months there's no effective majority for the Government to get necessary deficit reduction plans through and I don't see how that's going to change moving forward. We could end up in a situation where we have a four-year zombie parliament.

"The party is fairly fractured, straight down the middle, and I don't know which character could possibly pull it back together going forward for an effective government.

"I honestly think we probably need to go for a general election before Christmas and get a new mandate from the people."

Another rebel MP told the Times: "I don't want to stab the Prime Minister in the back - I want to stab him in the front so I can see the expression on his face. You'd have to twist the knife, though, because we want it back for [George] Osborne.

"All we have to do is catch the Prime Minister with a live boy or dead girl and we are away".

Meanwhile, Mr Gove and Mr Johnson launched an unprecedented attack on the Prime Minister's authority as they accused him of a having a “corrosive” impact on public trust in politicians because he had not lived up to promises to cut immigration.

In an article for The Telegraph, Ms Patel, the pro-Brexit Employment Minister, wrote: “It’s shameful that those leading the pro-EU campaign fail to care for those who do not have their advantages. Their narrow self-interest fails to pay due regard to the interests of the wider public”.

As the war of words heightened, Tory former PM Sir John Major accused the Leave side of telling deliberate untruths.

"They have - knowingly - told untruths about the cost of Europe. They have promised negotiating gains that cannot - and will not - be delivered.

"They have raised phantom fears that cannot be justified, puffing up their case with false statistics, unlikely scenarios and downright untruths. To mislead the British nation in this fashion - when its very future is at stake - is unforgivable," Mr Major wrote in the Mail on Sunday.

Yikes. I didn't realise the knives were so out for our Prime Minister.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It would be incredible if the Conservatives collapsed so badly Corbyn became Prime Minister. I wouldn't stop laughing for months.

Maledict

Nadyn Dorris should have had the whip withdrawn a long time ago. She's a vile, unpleasant woman whose only goal in life is to be on camera and she will say or do anything to achieve that.

The Tories would be better off if Labour held that seat...

EDIT: I do find it amazing how pathetic the Leave campaign has been. The Tories were more than happy to use language and campaign tactics like this to win the Scottish Referendum and the National Election - but as soon as it's being done to them they act like pathetic children. Labour didn't complain as much when they were attacking Ed Miliband for eating a fucking sandwich ffs.

That thing with the knife shows how utterly batshit at least some of the leave campaign are. They genuinely think this is some epic battle in which they're starring (albeit anonymous, obviously, so that when Remain wins they can carry on as normal) roles. Mental.

spunodi

Wow, I mean that statement's not incorrect but it sounds like the plans of a supervillian.

While I'm here, must say I'd REALLY like a GE this year (and I'm Team Corbyn). How likely is that? The Tories are seemingly in chaos to a casual onlooker.

Uzzy

That's amazing, especially:

The line before that though. So much hatred, I love it.

Another rebel MP told the Times: "I don't want to stab the Prime Minister in the back - I want to stab him in the front so I can see the expression on his face. You'd have to twist the knife, though, because we want it back for [George] Osborne.

Basic income and Corbyn imprisoning Blair are about the only things that could ever get me to vote Labour again.

It'll be like a swallowing a poison pill

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Has anywhere else tried this yet?

There have been various small-scale tests. Nowhere has rolled it out fully quite yet, but several places are on the cusp of doing so - I think Finland is closest.

Empty

Regardless of policy value, for a party seen as being too soft on handouts it's uh, a bold proposition

one of the advantages of universal income is that because everyone gets it it's politically an easier sell or at least stronger. like the nhs. if you get rid of it even middle class people get less.

whereas a piecemeal welfare system is more easily devastated through osborne driving a wedge between notions of the deserving and undeserving poor.

that said there's probably a better understanding in the uk that everyone deserves health and education whereas this is a newer concept that's easier to sound alienating "stupid kid can sit around playing ps4 all day and earn a living".

Moosichu

This is really interesting, and worrying at the same time.

One faction believes that Labour is probably unelectable under the current leadership; the other concurs, but would be vehemently opposed to a Corbyn premiership assuming power in any case. If Labour looked likely to come to power with its current political direction, in other words, they would sabotage its prospects.

That's just, uuurgh.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/02/labour-party-may-divide-before-conquer

tomtom94

Another said the government may try to get Labour to support an early general election being called, by voting to suspend the Fixed Term Parliament Act.

...Corbyn is actually stupid enough to fall for this, isn't he?

It's going to happen. It's just a matter of when imo.

I honestly can not see the UK introducing UBI in my life time. I personally think we will be one of the last countries to introduce it, probably decades after everyone else. I mean you just have to look at the way things are now. We have the general public braying for peoples heads just because they don't work and get a pitiful £73 a week or make them homeless because they have an extra cupboard which barely qualifies as a bedroom.

No this country will drag it's heels till the very last before it gets implemented. This is a huge mistake for Labour they should steer clear of anything regarding UBI if they want a cats hell chance of having any MP's after the next general election. Honestly I am a fan of UBI, it makes a huge amount of sense but this country is not mature enough to even start discussion about such a system. The UK needs to continue our "race to the bottom" for some time to come.

Jezbollah

Given Switzerland rejected it by a massive margin recently I think the concept and its potential application in the UK is dead in the water for the time being

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Given Switzerland rejected it by a massive margin recently I think the concept and its potential application in the UK is dead in the water for the time being

A proposal unsupported by any Swiss political party of merit and with no plan for how to implement it.

If Labour were to bring it up, that would be a big deal politically.

Audioboxer

All the fighting, scare mongering and nonsense around this EU referendum is soo tiresome. Oh and Tony B popping up again, hooray. I think only the US with their current presidential candidate campaign have a trainwreck worse than we have.

I'm at the point I just don't give a fuck anymore. Silently sitting here just hoping we vote whatever burns this country to the ground quickest. I know that's depressing, sinister and selfish but I have like zero faith in any of our politicians anymore. Even although I like Corbyn the whole labour party is a shit show of infighting.

To further on selfishness the only outcome I'll have somewhat of a smile at is England voting to leave, Scotland stay in and we can have another mass train wreck to watch over another Scottish referendum popping up. While I have to be honest and say I'm pro-independence for Scotland to rid ourselves of London I'm at a point where I don't think I even have the energy for another one. It'll be hilarious to watch though just like this EU ref.

Let's burn the country, privatise everything, fuck the NHS and build a wall around our borders.

Jezbollah

The thing is - whatever the result it, the shitshow is going to continue - or maybe still, get worse. The fallout either way is going to be chaotic.

To step away from the whole EU thing for a bit

Apparently the "staff sickness" excuse for so many Southern Rail trains being cancelled recently is (shockingly) complete bullshit!

I had to ask a number of other staff members to find out – and I had the chance to see a number of them yesterday because it was such a struggle getting to London (there are supposed to be two direct trains every hour).

The answer, it appears, is that the company has banned the railway staff involved in the two-day strike from doing overtime, to stop them clawing back their lost money.

The trouble is that their roster system relies on overtime. Without overtime, they can’t run the train service that people rely on. The result, as anyone unfortunate enough to live on the south coast at the moment, has been absolute chaos – a wholly unreliable service which at weekends becomes dangerously overcrowded. Sarah had to climb over a table to get off the train late on Sunday night because it was so full of passengers who had been let down time and time again by cancelled trains.

And from a comment by an employee of Southern:

In 2011 a report called the McNulty report was published sand set out a number of wide ranging proposals for cutting cost on he railways. Since then the DFT has been putting together a plan to 'streamline' costing on the railway. One of the major changes was to rid the network of guards. (Along with many other members of staff)
What we are seeing (along with arriva Wales and first scotrail) is the beginning of these changes. Many people have asked why MP's and media outlets have been so quite on the matter and as to why govia have no fear of losing the franchise. This is because they are purely the axemen. The DFT will not remove them as they want the company to be the face of the changes to avoid huge public objections aimed at the conservative government.

And there are even more comments from drivers etc. corroborating and adding to what's been said.

Now, obviously a blog and it's comments are not the most reliable source of news, but really, would anyone be surprised if this is true? It's a damn sight more believable than constant shortages due to illnesses

It seems hard to imagine what else they could do, though. Labour can't very well oppose the opportunity for an election as it basically says "we don't think we can win". As true as that might be, you're basically saying "there is no opposition."

To step away from the whole EU thing for a bit

Apparently the "staff sickness" excuse for so many Southern Rail trains being cancelled recently is (shockingly) complete bullshit!

And from a comment by an employee of Southern:

And there are even more comments from drivers etc. corroborating and adding to what's been said.

Now, obviously a blog and it's comments are not the most reliable source of news, but really, would anyone be surprised if this is true? It's a damn sight more believable than constant shortages due to illnesses

I sadly get a Southern train every work day and have also heard this from a worker. It seems like every day a train is cancelled for me but til I found out the real reasons, I was annoyed at the staff. If they did go to guardless trains, I wouldn't use them.

Aren't most trains guardless? I get First Great Northern every day and I don't remember the last time I saw a staff member on the train. I'm not entirely convince the driver is alive most days.

Think it might depend on the stations as well, if they have someone there? There's them on quite a lot of the Northern trains, and always on the line I usually get.

Jezbollah

Aren't most trains guardless? I get First Great Northern every day and I don't remember the last time I saw a staff member on the train. I'm not entirely convince the driver is alive most days.

I can't remember the last time I was on a train that had a guard. Ticket inspectors, yes. But guards? nope.

Anyway. Quite a week coming up. God I hope we get a Remain vote.

Walshicus

As a commuter from Chichester to Crawley, the train situation has completely fucked up my work like life balance for over a month now. People need to Delay Repay the shit out of Southern.

While it may seem . . . trivial considering today, Labour have not only held on to Tooting, but have increased their majority

LAB: 55.9% (+8.7)
CON: 36.1% (-5.8)
GRN: 2.6% (-1.5)
LDEM: 2.6% (-1.4)
UKIP: 1.6% (-1.3)

Rosena Allin-Khan elected, she paying tribute to Jo in her speech

Mr. Sam

One wonders, and tell me if I'm being too morbid here, if a far right party might field a candidate. Surely even they would see it as too crass?

King_Moc

Banned
One wonders, and tell me if I'm being too morbid here, if a far right party might field a candidate. Surely even they would see it as too crass?

An MP was murdered in 1990, the seat was contested and changed hands. It seems a bit shitty, but they're not really doing anything wrong.

Good on everyone for not doing it here though.

Mr. Sam

Why would they see that as too crass, it's very much their democratic right...

It would very much be the Conservatives' right to field a candidate, and they're not, even though there's not an obvious kinship between their party and the man who murdered the previous MP.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

He can't really back down, can he? It looks pretty shit if you're the main opposition and you pass down an opportunity to boot out the government because you don't think you're well enough liked.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
An MP was murdered in 1990, the seat was contested and changed hands. It seems a bit shitty, but they're not really doing anything wrong.

Good on everyone for not doing it here though.

The only precedent I've been able to find was when the Rev Edgar Graham was murdered in 1983. The subsequent by-election for the South Belfast seat in the Northern Ireland Assembly was not contested.

Seems like a good thing to do.

Would like to see a contest between two Labour candidates though, so the constituents get a choice.

Jezbollah

It would very much be the Conservatives' right to field a candidate, and they're not, even though there's not an obvious kinship between their party and the man who murdered the previous MP.

I believe that UKIP and the Lib Dems have also come out to say they're not fielding candidates.

Tbh I think they should contest it. It's a tragic event but the people of her constituency should still have the option to register their happiness (or otherwise) with the party of the member who was representing them.

PJV3

Tbh I think they should contest it. It's a tragic event but the people of her constituency should still have the option to register their happiness (or otherwise) with the party of the member who was representing them.

Just put their names on the ballot but don't campaign. It's only been a year so i can see why they dont want to.

Jezza: ‘If the government cannot continue for ever and ends up deciding that it needs to somehow or other navigate around the Fixed-term Parliaments Act in order to have a general election a little sooner, all I can say is we are very, very ready for that.'

bring it onnnn

Beefy

Put this in the Brexit thread. But it is more on topic here.

CleeMowWkAAdevu.jpg

Councillor for East Riding
http://www2.eastriding.gov.uk/counc...parliament/councillor-finder/?entryid63=54083

He's said sorry but far too late.
CleivH6WMAAl0L_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom