• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF |OT2| - We Blue Ourselves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting a McDonald's breakfast on the way to work. This is how the world ends, not with a bang, but with a double sausage and egg mcmuffin.

Jezbollah

09:00 - The London Economic ‏(@LondonEconomic)

"The UK is no longer the world's 5th largest economy. The £ has fallen so far that France has overtaken us. #EUref"

09:10 - Alex Wickham ‏(@WikiGuido)

"LABOUR: ShadCab ministers could tell Corbyn to resign or resign themselves. Rumours of no confidence letter. McDonnell potential successor."

ruttyboy

There was some woman on the radio (I think Theresa Villiers) who was part of the leave campaign. She was asked when they should invoke article 50 and start the exit process, her reply was, "Well I don't think we should do it immediately, maybe not for a while, because as soon as you do, you're excluded from some important meetings and decisions."

NO SHIT! Isn't that like the whole fucking point?! Isn't that what you campaigned for?!

Congrats Engerland, you successfully closed the borders (you haven't), you got all that money back that was being wasted (you haven't) and you've ensured that we're a true democracy again (we aren't).

tomtom94

Laura Kuenssberg ✔ @bbclaurak
Hearing several different groups of labour MPs organising against Corbyn - hard to tell what it will turn into right now
8:46 AM - 24 Jun 2016

All of Labour's problems in a single tweet.

(I reckon Mann wants it)

Honestly Corbyn should just fuck off at this point. It'll be a big heavyweight Tory fight and possible election, we need there to be an actual opposition.

Jezbollah

All of Labour's problems in a single tweet.

(I reckon Mann wants it)

Sophy Ridge ‏(@SophyRidgeSky)
Labour MP Angela Smith tells me "We need a leader who is capable of meeting the challenges we face. Jeremy Corbyn should consider position"

(((Dan Hodges))) ‏(@DPJHodges)
Understand motion of no confidence in Jeremy Corbyn to be tabled at Monday's PLP.

tomtom94

Sophy Ridge ‏(@SophyRidgeSky)
Labour MP Angela Smith tells me "We need a leader who is capable of meeting the challenges we face. Jeremy Corbyn should consider position"

(((Dan Hodges))) ‏(@DPJHodges)
Understand motion of no confidence in Jeremy Corbyn to be tabled at Monday's PLP.

Implies they have someone. Can't see Jarvis or Umunna backtracking quite so quickly, which rules out the two best candidates.

As you can tell from my posts I'm a huge fan of Corbyn, the man and his policies. After yesterday's vote, for the first time I feel the public won't vote for him as PM. Which is saddening.

This thread is pretty quiet, so I feel more comfortable putting this here than one of the active Brexit threads.

I honestly feel completely lost and exhausted. The right wing have taken over. Farage has gone from a joke to getting everything he ever wanted. The alt-right and MRA's are taking over everywhere else.

And I'm tired. And I feel like I can't do a fucking thing about it. It seems completely hopeless.

As a left wing "SJW" person who thinks being decent to people isn't such a bad idea, where do I go? Cause it clearly isn't here.

This thread is pretty quiet, so I feel more comfortable putting this here than one of the active Brexit threads.

I honestly feel completely lost and exhausted. The right wing have taken over. Farage has gone from a joke to getting everything he ever wanted. The alt-right and MRA's are taking over everywhere else.

And I'm tired. And I feel like I can't do a fucking thing about it. It seems completely hopeless.

As a left wing "SJW" person who thinks being decent to people isn't such a bad idea, where do I go? Cause it clearly isn't here.

I'm not sure this is accurate. The Remain vs Leave vote appears to be pretty split between urban and rural lines, not party political lines. There are huge swathes of "Labour heartland" that voted to Leave. Combine this with the rise of UKIP and the fact that Scotland voted so overwhelmingly for Remain with seemingly no reason (as in, their situation is not significantly different to that of the rest of the UK economically, so why such a huge difference) and to me it seems clear that it's not about right vs left but rather that there's a huge chunk of the country who feel utterly, utterly let down and un-appreciated by "the establishment". This explains basically everything, from UKIPs rise, from the non-party-political splits, to why Scotland's Remain vote was so much higher (because they feel that the SNP - whose rise is also supported by this wee hypothesis - actually represents them and their interests, whether they're right or not).

Jezbollah

As you can tell from my posts I'm a huge fan of Corbyn, the man and his policies. After yesterday's vote, for the first time I feel the public won't vote for him as PM. Which is saddening.

It looks like his own party members are starting to give up on Corbyn too:

Sophy Ridge ‏@SophyRidgeSky
Hearing Labour HQ receiving lots of calls from members who say they want to resign membership & Corbyn should go

EDIT: Nicola Sturgeon on Sky News now. I feel like she's giving the air of an imminent push for a new Referendum.

After the campaign, and that word cloud, I can't see it any other way. I agree there's an air of fuck the establishment, but that seems to go right along with the rightwards shift.

Maledict

It looks like his own party members are starting to give up on Corbyn too:

Sophy Ridge ‏@SophyRidgeSky
Hearing Labour HQ receiving lots of calls from members who say they want to resign membership & Corbyn should go

EDIT: Nicola Sturgeon on Sky News now. I feel like she's giving the air of an imminent push for a new Referendum.

Corbyn's base is not working class trade unionists. It's middle class liberals, primarily in London - people who overwhelmingly, in great numbers, wanted to remain.

He has badly misjudged things to be frank - he is now very vulnerable, and a decent leader could easily take him out at this point.

Jezbollah

Sturgeon: "It's democratically unacceptable to be taken out of the EU against our wishes"

She just came out to say that the second referendum is now on the table as part of the SNP manifesto.

"Legislation will be prepared now for a second referendum"

ITS ON.

Corbyn's base is not working class trade unionists. It's middle class liberals, primarily in London - people who overwhelmingly, in great numbers, wanted to remain.

He has badly misjudged things to be frank - he is now very vulnerable, and a decent leader could easily take him out at this point.

There is no one strong enough in the party to replace him at the moment. Unless Jarvis changes his tune.

tomtom94

If I had to guess, I'd say the election will be Corbyn against a Labour Leaver (Mann? Stuart?) and whoever the anointed one on the right of the party is this time - I would have thought Umunna and Jarvis would still have reservations.

Jezbollah

What does this mean?

It's highly likely that the people who filed this motion will have enough votes for this motion to trigger a leadership election. ie Jeremy's getting booted out of his position as leader

If I had to guess, I'd say the election will be Corbyn against a Labour Leaver (Mann? Stuart?) and whoever the anointed one on the right of the party is this time - I would have thought Umunna and Jarvis would still have reservations.

Putting aside my favoritism of Jarvis to one side, he would appeal to both northern (Barnsley MP) and southern (ex military) voters. I'm not sure if Umunna will have that going for him.

tomtom94

It's highly likely that the people who filed this motion will have enough votes for this motion to trigger a leadership election. ie Jeremy's getting booted out of his position as leader

Putting aside my favoritism of Jarvis to one side, he would appeal to both northern (Barnsley MP) and southern (ex military) voters. I'm not sure if Umunna will have that going for him.

And that if they don't, they're not going to be able to do it for a while.

I'd say the majority of the voters who voted for Corbyn would vote for him again. If Labour want to dethrone him then they need to get the correct person. Mann has no chance.

News that Labour MPs hope to use the post-referendum crisis as an opportunity to oust him will come as no surprise to the Labour leader’s office. The Spectator magazine has obtained a leaked copy of a briefing paper drawn up by Mr Corbyn’s staff setting our arguments to answers to those who say Mr Corbyn shares some of the blame the defeat of the Remain side.

The document argues that Labour voters used the referendum to “kick a Conservative government”, and claims: "Jeremy Corbyn has showed that he is far closer to the centre of gravity of the British public than other politicians. He is now the only politician who can unite a divided country, as he can speak to both sides."

Seems like they knew this was coming.

tomtom94

I mean I'd imagine he had a briefing for both eventualities, just like Osborne.

I think the idea that voters used it to kick the government isn't quite the "gotcha" he thinks it is, though. His stance that "you can't trust the Tories" may be morally correct but it seems to have worked rather too well here.

At this stage, where we all know Corybn doesn't hugely want to be leader or Prime Minister, he should just use this as a graceful out.

Though if he does stand again in case of a challenge, I'd consider joining the party to vote for someone else. Depending on who it is obviously but there needs to be a damn change.

how...did you determine that?

Well, it's a bit of an exaggeration. He'd like there to be change, but I don't think he's really gunning for the PM role as others have. Particularly how it came around - he always seems to suggest leading Labour is a duty given to him, rather than his ambition. This is a bit on that theory: http://uk.businessinsider.com/theor...want-to-be-leader-of-the-labour-party-2015-11

Maybe he wants to be leader now. But I don't hugely think he wants to be PM, and there was a good gag in the Vice film about that.

That article's writer is legit surprised that a dude that has a decades-spanning history of Doing His Own Thing continued to Do His Own Thing once he got the position.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

fwiw, if he didnt want it, he wouldnt have rushed to mention article 50, which is exactly what someone looking to capitalize on The bold new political factor would do.

defel

This whole thing makes me really appreciate what many others perhaps already understood but now I truly get it.

If we ignore the struggles of those in society that are worst off, that are struggling for work, are unable to pay their way, unable to get the education they need or deprived of opportunities then the whole of society will pay. Nothing exemplifies that more than the London/rEngland split.

We ignore those at the bottom at our peril and if we do then they will rise up and make us pay. I'll definitely be much more mindful of that going forward.

This whole thing makes me really appreciate what many others perhaps already understood but now I truly get it.

If we ignore the struggles of those in society that are worst off, that are struggling for work, are unable to pay their way, unable to get the education they need or deprived of opportunities then the whole of society will pay. Nothing exemplifies that more than the London/rEngland split.

We ignore those at the bottom at our peril and if we do then they will rise up and make us pay. I'll definitely be much more mindful of that going forward.

I thought this was good from Paul Mason about this.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...-eu-working-class-culture-hijacked-help-elite

Hazzuh

Corbyn was a disaster in this referendum and I put a lot of the blame for this on him. But today I thought about it and none of the other leadership candidates could have appealed the working class voters who voted Leave anyway so I dunno.. It's more of a problem with the party as a whole being totally out of touch tbh.

Think it's really unfair to put all the blame on Corbyn. Cameron was the one who put this referendum up to try and win voters last year. Cameron was the guy that went against a lot of his mandate that got him elected last year. Whose going to believe him over anything? Then there's Osborne - a man whose failed with his budget, missing his own targets for the past 5 years. Whose going to trust his financial warnings?

Jezbollah

Think it's really unfair to put all the blame on Corbyn. Cameron was the one who put this referendum up to try and win voters last year. Cameron was the guy that went against a lot of his mandate that got him elected last year. Whose going to believe him over anything? Then there's Osborne - a man whose failed with his budget, missing his own targets for the past 5 years. Whose going to trust his financial warnings?

I think the results are more down to the negative fear tactics (and certain billboards/posters) portraying all the problems as coming from immigrants mainly. It struck a nerve with core Labour voters that no one on the Remain side could help overturn.

I honestly think Corbyn was already a soft target as it stands - all this is months of internal rumblings within the PLP coming to a head. Labour need to re-invent themselves, to unify and to take the challenge to a Conservative party who themselves are in a state of disarray.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom