• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF |OT2| - We Blue Ourselves

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomtom94

Leadsom has quit. Theresa May to be confirmed as PM potentially within the next few days according to Laura K.

Eagle's campaign is by all accounts not off to a great start. If she's really the best the party has to offer against Corbyn then they might as well start formally splitting the party now.

Eagle's campaign is by all accounts not off to a great start. If she's really the best the party has to offer against Corbyn then they might as well start formally splitting the party now.

Pretty sure that the talks of splitting and joining with center tories fell by the wayside with leadsom out

Maledict

Pretty sure that the talks of splitting and joining with center tories fell by the wayside with leadsom out

They were talking about splitting before any potential deal with the centrist Tories was being mooted. Don't think people realise exactly *how*'broken labour is right now. A ton of their MPs are facing electoral wipeouts as Jeremy Corbyn is simply unelectable, but the membership won't let them remove him and he's so egotistical he won't step down because he doesn't care. He would be happy to be a tiny party of protest / he's effectively been one for the last 30 years already.

People keep asking "Who is the PLP's electable alternative" but I honestly don't think the bar is that high. Corbyn is going to rip the party apart. Any alternative who doesn't do that will be a superior choice even if they, too, fail to win the election.

They were talking about splitting before any potential deal with the centrist Tories was being mooted. Don't think people realise exactly *how*'broken labour is right now. A ton of their MPs are facing electoral wipeouts as Jeremy Corbyn is simply unelectable, but the membership won't let them remove him and he's so egotistical he won't step down because he doesn't care. He would be happy to be a tiny party of protest / he's effectively been one for the last 30 years already.

Is there any evidence that they'd fare better in a new party, tho?

Maledict

Is there any evidence that they'd fare better in a new party, tho?

Nope, but they would have control of the party platform and wouldn't have to run in an election tied to Corbyn, who they know is a massive drag on the ballot. Same issue republicans have with Trump being their nominee.

Nope, but they would have control of the party platform and wouldn't have to run in an election tied to Corbyn, who they know is a massive drag on the ballot. Same issue republicans have with Trump being their nominee.

Ah, the "jumping head first into a lake of uncertain depth" approach.

Even if it worked, they'd then be part of a tiny party that would impact jack shit in the greater scheme of things.

Which is why, end of the day, republicans are simply running away from Don and doing their own thing locally to minimize the damage, fwiw.

They could call it New New Labour.

xXLabourXx.

Maledict

Looks like Boris might be in for a Cabinet job.

Cabinet appointments to begin shortly...

She has to give one of the two main Brexit folks jobs, and after the last few weeks I'd be more likely to give a starving, rabid wolverine a job than Michael Gove.

Beefy

If the following is accurate, surely this is just another reason to stop this abuse of the disabled/ill and accept medical evidence, from medical people, i.e. doctors, as being the best/only way to decide who qualifies for disability benefits.

By Ros Wynne-Jones
A damning study by the National Audit Office has found the DWP will give £1.6billion to private contractors over the next three years to carry out controversial assessments on disabled/ill people.

Yet savings in benefits payments are likely to be less than £1bn by 2020 as a result of the new tests.

All that pain, poverty and misery for nothing, then.

tomtom94

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...16/jul/16/stephen-collins-on-top-gear-cartoon

I feel this thread will appreciate Stephen Collins' cartoon imagining if Corbyn were the new host of Top Gear.

CneknXaWIAAfJGf.jpg

tomtom94

(I think it fits here better than any of the megathreads...)

Two of the Justice Committee (Soubry and Faulkes) have quit, refusing to serve under Liz Truss, who has herself accused the chair (Bob Neill) of misogyny. So that's off to a good start.

I'm getting down-voted to fuck on Reddit for posting my much-detailed pick-a-vote-out-of-a-hat theory of how to implement PR in the UK. Fucking idiots, no idea what they're missing out on!

Maledict

And the court didn't even order the NHS to pay for it - only that it *could* legally pay for it. Which was actually a real legal issue following the public health transfer to local authorities.

Presumably the Daily Mail also loathes the NHS spending money on stopping people smoking or drinking. Actually I don't know why I asked that...

Feminist zealots want women to have their cake and eat it, says Tory MP

A Tory MP has spoken at a men’s rights conference hosted by an anti-feminism party, telling the audience that “feminist zealots really do want women to have their cake and eat it”.

Philip Davies, the Conservative MP for Shipley, delivered a 45-minute speech at the International Conference on Men’s Issues, organised by the Justice for Men and Boys party (J4MB).

Davies, who sits on the Commons justice committee, told the conference at the ExCel centre in London that Britain’s justice system was skewed in favour of women and discriminated against men.

J4MB states on its website that it intends to target the 20 most marginal Conservative constituencies in the next general election and has the income to fund its candidates’ £500 deposits.

Davies, a pro-Brexit campaigner who backed Andrea Leadsom for the Tory leadership, appeared alongside anti-feminist bloggers who have likened the activist Malala Yousafzai to Osama bin Laden and called single mothers “bona fide idiots”.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom