• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF thread of tell me about the rabbits again, Dave.

dalin80

Banned
So, the BAE/EADS merger is off, and it sounds like it was the UK Government's fault.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19897699

Meanwhile, BBC News 24 blame the Germans for scuppering the deal. Get your message straight, Auntie. To make things more confusing, the French President just now released a statement saying that the scuppering was all "the companies' decision". Sounds like a good wholesome game of "Pass The Buck" to me.

What think ye of this, GAF?

I think good, defence is already too much of a monopoly, between the BAE tax and MoD incompetence we are already suffering from a surface fleet that couldn't invade a duck pond, a larger group with even less interest in British defence with fingers from France and Germany is not a good recipe. Just think of the Eurofighter, decades late and billions overbudget thanks to trying to satisfy several different countries, a single company cant accommodate such a area, several are needed for competition and choice.

Do we have any firm data on tax revenues v tax rates? Honest question, I'd like to see it.

I really think we need a simpler tax system with no loopholes, so everyone pays their fair share of tax rather than just hammering those who aren't inclined to go loophole jumping...

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/stats/income_tax/table2-5.pdf

According to this chart from HMRC the top 8000 income tax payers (8000 people) pay 5.2% of all income tax. That is 0.02% of people paying 5% of total income tax generated. The "1%" pay 25% of all income tax generated. The top 10% pay 55% of total income tax.

In comparison, the bottom 27% pay just 3% of income tax generated. Progressive taxes are great for the majority but they only work by not pissing off the richest people. Punitive taxation means higher taxes for all of us as top rate players leave the country and tax take goes down.

These are not made up figures, they are from HMRC.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Facebook UK branch paid only 0.14% capital gains tax. But lets slash benefits instead.

During that programme about India the other day there were people scrabbling around in dirt in drains to try and get the tiny amount of gold that runs off, which they then have to treat with acid.

My dad said, 'that's what the country could do with instead of benefit scroungers'.

I actually full on yelled at him for like an hour.

Randdalf

I ended up on UKIP's Wikipedia page somehow and was reading their policies, lots of xenophobia and then this:

All media, businesses, schools and colleges would be required to use imperial measurements alongside metric measurements.

Are they utterly mad?

Corporation tax is paid on profit, not revenue. Facebook UK made a taxable profit of about £1.1m after striping out non-cash losses (related to employee option schemes) and paid tax of around £240k on the profit at a net rate of ~ 22% suggesting very small tax avoidance on the face of it. However, we don't know how much UK revenue was diverted through their Irish subsidiary, but that won't last for too long as the loophole is being closed in the next finance bill.

Taking the revenue figure and putting it against tax paid is not a sound way of calculating anything useful.

Yen

Christ almighty, someone posted on the downing st facebook page demanding the reinstation of hanging and electric chair, so Mark Bridges can get the "appropriate punishment." That's bad enough, but it's got 200,000 likes.

kitch9

Banned
Facebook UK branch paid only 0.14% capital gains tax. But lets slash benefits instead.

No, lets just close the loopholes so this is not possible, (Already being done I believe.) there's all kinds of swerves companies can take by playing off European tax rules off against one another, this needs to stop. The Facebook thing is a prime example of how just taxing anyone with some cash until the pips squeak doesn't work, all they do is set up business in a neighbouring country who charges less tax and pay them their tax bill instead, and because of EU rules and the free market this is perfectly legal.

Benefits do need better targeting too, instead of just handing them out to anyone who asks.

During that programme about India the other day there were people scrabbling around in dirt in drains to try and get the tiny amount of gold that runs off, which they then have to treat with acid.

My dad said, 'that's what the country could do with instead of benefit scroungers'.

I actually full on yelled at him for like an hour.

Why?

Yen

psychotext said:
I guess the trial is over then. I must have missed it.

Hi David,

Sorry to trouble you, but after the news of that bastard Mark Bridger being charged for the Murder of the near defenceless 5 year old girl April Jones, I just couldn't help myself by writing this post.

It truely saddens me, and as a father of 3 beautiful children, I am certain that I speak on behalf of 99.9% of the population of Britain, when I ask you to consider reinstating Capital Punishment sentances, such as Hanging, and the Electric Chair!

It despises me what that monster has done, and a life sentence in prison is by no means justified for this beast! His death by hanging should be televised live for us all to see!

Better still, make it legal for the parents, close friends and various members of the public to spend a little time behind closed doors with this murdering bastard. It wont bring back little April, but it might just make other potential child abductors and murderers think twice about commiting such crimes!

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Christ almighty, someone posted on the downing st facebook page demanding the reinstation of hanging and electric chair, so Mark Bridges can get the "appropriate punishment." That's bad enough, but it's got 200,000 likes.

If downing street feels it has to have a facebook page, then it is going to attract this sort of stuff. Of course it will. It's nothing in particular to get hot about.

On the other hand, they might consider getting a few GAF mods in there to sort stuff out.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
So it's only taken 2 years, flatlining economic activity and a double-dip for the IMF to finally realise that cutting spending during a recession is a bad idea.

Bravo, Christine Lagarde and all the rest of the lovely chaps at the IMF.

Of course, I don't expect Gideon to change course. Too damaging to his career. Poor chap :'(

So it's only taken 2 years, flatlining economic activity and a double-dip for the IMF to finally realise that cutting spending during a recession is a bad idea.

Bravo, Christine Lagarde and all the rest of the lovely chaps at the IMF.

what was even more surprising was that they apparently thought greece would growing by 1 per cent this year. I found that to be crazy, they really have no clue it seems.

Jackpot

Banned
Saw an advert encouraging people to vote for a police commissioner yesterday. Total scare tactics. Made it seems like the police would be disbanded we'd be swarmed by chavs and gypsies if you didn't vote. Saw it on Sky. Funnily enough haven't seen it appear on the less stupid channels.

Saw an advert encouraging people to vote for a police commissioner yesterday. Total scare tactics. Made it seems like the police would be disbanded we'd be swarmed by chavs and gypsies if you didn't vote. Saw it on Sky. Funnily enough haven't seen it appear on the less stupid channels.

Is it the one where they show faux CCTV footage of people on buses pretending to throw punches, and people smashing a bus stop, burglarising a home etc? I've seen that on the terrestrial channels if so.

I honestly don't see how these elections will make a difference, but I've been thinking of actually voting for the Merseyside election anyway... they're all saying pretty banal generic things to try and get themselves elected, but there's one guy (Kiron Reid) who I like the sound of. He was city councillor for Anfield for 9 years and he currently lives in Wavertree, so he's probably got a good idea of the kind of problems people face in the poorer areas of the city and a grasp on what's already been tried in terms of crime prevention... I'm happy with how we're policed here generally, but I wish some of the little scally shits were dealt with a bit more forcefully and I'm sick of seeing cars doing drug deals in broad daylight with impunity. I love Liverpool as a city, but it's brought down by a minority of horrible c**ts. I'd love to feel as safe and as positive living here as I felt in the South West.

Biggzy

what was even more surprising was that they apparently thought greece would growing by 1 per cent this year. I found that to be crazy, they really have no clue it seems.

Especially as their chief economist has came out and said that they got their calculations wrong. Instead of 1 % of cuts taking 0.5% out of GDP, they now say it is more like 1.7%.

That's a massive revision, and it's worrying because the original calculation is what governments have been using for their austerity measures - including our own.

I'm sure a read I recent article about public opinion of capital punishment, and 70% wanted reinstatement. The country is full of reactionary blood-thirsty arseholes.

That's why I was confused about the calls for "police-state" over the arrest and charge of the geezer wearing the offensive police t-shirt. The police protect and serve the public, and the proceedings reflected public opinion so well.

Ask the public how they felt about a person with no previous convictions receiving a six month sentence for stealing a bottle of water at last years riots. Most would salivating at what they considered "true justice".

Wes

venison crêpe
Has the actual wording of the Scottish independence question been revealed yet? I can't seem to find it in any reports.

Omikaru

I don't even know who our candidates are. This whole PCC thing has been a complete farce. At this point it just seems like another highly-paid job for the major party stooges.

Especially as their chief economist has came out and said that they got their calculations wrong. Instead of 1 % of cuts taking 0.5% out of GDP, they now say it is more like 1.7%.

That's a massive revision, and it's worrying because the original calculation is what governments have been using for their austerity measures - including our own.

If an organisation can go from a 50% multiplier to a 170% multiplier overnight, I think the only problem is that our government every listened to them. What their figure actually ends up being is more or less irrelevant now - they've had their figures thoroughly discredited.

Biggzy

If an organisation can go from a 50% multiplier to a 170% multiplier overnight, I think the only problem is that our government every listened to them. What their figure actually ends up being is more or less irrelevant now - they've had their figures thoroughly discredited.

Discredited or not, the IMF is still a very influential organisation. The problem is that the IMF is now saying that countries like the UK need to come up with a 'plan B' if growth does not pick up. George Osborne used the IMF's approval of his austerity plan to sell it to the public in 2010. Does he now heed the IMF's 'advice', or does he still stick with his 'plan A' - which makes him a hypocrite if he does.

Discredited or not, the IMF is still a very influential organisation. The problem is that the IMF is now saying that countries like the UK need to come up with a 'plan B' if growth does not pick up. George Osborne used the IMF's approval of his austerity plan to sell it to the public in 2010. Does he now heed the IMF's 'advice', or does he still stick with his 'plan A' - which makes him a hypocrite if he does.

That's a purely political problem, though. And I agree, it is a problem for Osborne, for precisely the reasons you state. But it's not really a practical problem.

That said, I don't think it's quite as big a problem as you state. He used the IMF's backing to bolster his case, but his ideas weren't hinged upon the IMF's thumbs up, and never were. It's not even like the IMF have actually changed their mind, they're just saying that some cuts should slow down so as not to upset the balance of output.

Biggzy

That's a purely political problem, though. And I agree, it is a problem for Osborne, for precisely the reasons you state. But it's not really a practical problem.

That said, I don't think it's quite as big a problem as you state. He used the IMF's backing to bolster his case, but his ideas weren't hinged upon the IMF's thumbs up, and never were. It's not even like the IMF have actually changed their mind, they're just saying that some cuts should slow down so as not to upset the balance of output.

It doesn't hinge no, but he did use the IMF's figures to formulate the governments austerity plans - the same figures that the IMF now admit are badly wrong. Also this gives Labour the ammunition they need to tell him and the public that even the IMF - who gave their blessing to the austerity program that Europe is now implementing - are now saying to ease up on the cuts and instead initiate more pro-growth policies.

I personally don't care what the IMF says, but this is just one more political problem that the coalition government could do without.

WTF, you guys will allow 16 and 17 year olds to vote in the Referndum?

As 8bit says they are more likely to live through the consequences of the result. However, I think the real reason Salmond wants them to vote is because the SNP think they are more likely to vote for independence.

I personally think 16 year olds should be able to vote in elections, because at the moment they can pay tax but have no say what that money is spent on.

Frankly I think if anything the interested ones would actually be more likely to read up on the issues / policies too than adults who just endlessly vote for the same party or party line.

I remember being young and not completely and utterly jaded.

I was politically/ideologically underdeveloped, naive and emotionally reactionary at 16. Everyone around me was too. Whenever I have ever thought I knew it all, knew what I wanted or knew what was best for me, anyone else or this country in general, I have often looked back with the benefit of age, experience and hindsight and felt differently -- but I think teenagers are particularly ignorant. You may feel jaded and world weary, but you're probably a lot more informed and invested in what happens too. I just don't feel we know enough of the world at that age.

I don't think its fair to ask a 16 year old to pay taxes toward a system they have no say in though, and the fact a 16yo can start a family or join the forces but not vote is a strange mismatch of responsibility..

Honestly? I don't want kids having the vote. They are just kids to me. Young adults at best. I know 16 year olds who would probably vote BNP or something, 16 year olds who would just mindlessly vote the way their parents do, I suspect parties would target the naivete of youth, effectively trying to exploit them, and I suspect the well educated 16 year olds would be more likely to vote than the poor, which would risk further entrenching privilege. Having said that, it could go the other way... Kids are being asked to pay for babyboomer greed right now, whether they know that or not, and its the youth who are finding it hardest to get work...

All I know is that I know I wasn't ready myself. I'd rather fewer 16 year olds started families or joined the forces, because I don't think most teens are mature enough for irreversible, life altering decisions of that gravity and magnitude either... We might have street wise teens in this country that take every opiate available and shag each other at will, but there's value in the life experience that you still continue growing well into your twenties and beyond. I'd prefer they didn't have to pay tax when working too.

Maybe if our education performed appreciably better I'd have more confidence in them.

nib95

Banned

Yea, pretty fucking disgraceful (depending on how much of that was actual profit, though I have no doubt loopholes would have been used to reduce paper profits). Just indicative of a larger systematic issue which revolves around greed. The audacity of the government to focus in on benefits and smaller fish whilst corporations and fat cats continue to get away with fraud of an infinitely greater financial and economic value. Facebook twice lately, with this new story and the shit they pulled surrounding over valuing of the company when they went public with shares.

Yen

If you think having 16 year olds voting is bad, imagine Northern Irish 16 year olds. Let's just hope we don't have any important referendums.

Wes

venison crêpe

kitch9

Banned
I am of the loony opinion that it's a good thing we don't require people to scrabble around in mud and acid to earn a subsistence living.

I am of the opinion you generalise too much....

Or you are loony enough to think there aren't thousands on benefits who are gaming the system to avoid having to contribute.

kitch9

Banned
Yea, pretty fucking disgraceful (depending on how much of that was actual profit, though I have no doubt loopholes would have been used to reduce paper profits). Just indicative of a larger systematic issue which revolves around greed. The audacity of the government to focus in on benefits and smaller fish whilst corporations and fat cats continue to get away with fraud of an infinitely greater financial and economic value. Facebook twice lately, with this new story and the shit they pulled surrounding over valuing of the company when they went public with shares.

It's not fraud, it's legal, complex and probably fully investigated by HMRC.

nib95

Banned
It's not fraud, it's legal, complex and probably fully investigated by HMRC.

I get that it's legal, but my point was that this stuff is the real scandal, and the diversion tactics of the government and others to draw focus away from the corporations and elites duping the system and instead focusing on the lower end up the scale that is financially far less detrimental is a cruel farce. Such things should be no less illegal than benefit fraud.

Didn't Vodafone recently just get let off £6bn worth of taxes?

morch

Or you are loony enough to think there aren't thousands on benefits who are gaming the system to avoid having to contribute.

As far as i'm aware the estimated fraud level in the benefit system is under £2billion which oddly enough is only a bit more than the estimated underpayment of benefits
More money has probably been spent the legal costs of all appeals against ATO's exams in the ESA system compared to the statutory requirements.

regardless most of the changes being made aren't being done to combat fraud or have processes that are less likely to result in errors

People who commit benefit fraud should be punished, so should people who find reasons not to pay their publically expected level of tax, but you'll never catch all in any category without spending loads on investigators nullifying the point. The cost/gain ratio is what's important.

My attitude is that some parts of society have never had it so good, whilst lots of people are struggling to find regular enough work so they don't struggle to pay rising bills. This is unsustainable

kitch9

Banned
As far as i'm aware the estimated fraud level in the benefit system is under £2billion which oddly enough is only a bit more than the estimated underpayment of benefits
More money has probably been spent the legal costs of all appeals against ATO's exams in the ESA system compared to the statutory requirements.

regardless most of the changes being made aren't being done to combat fraud or have processes that are less likely to result in errors

People who commit benefit fraud should be punished, so should people who find reasons not to pay their publically expected level of tax, but you'll never catch all in any category without spending loads on investigators nullifying the point. The cost/gain ratio is what's important.

My attitude is that some parts of society have never had it so good, whilst lots of people are struggling to find regular enough work so they don't struggle to pay rising bills. This is unsustainable

I wasn't talking about fraud, I was talking about the fact that not everyone on benefits is using them as a stepping stone to work and instead using them as a way of life.

Top Bottom