• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF thread of tell me about the rabbits again, Dave.

Meadows

Banned
Shit that needs doing:

Motorway between Manchester and Sheffield (A57)
3rd Runway at Heathrow (and a 4th...and a 5th)
HSR fast-tracked. Start building it up from London and down from Glasgow.

Pasco_

Banned
My bank has given them countless scenarios in which the government could put their good credit rating to use and get the country building/engineering/working and they are always well received by ministers but eventually get shot down for unknown reasons.

The government is desperate to be seen to be cutting spending, no matter how dumb this is, no matter what real effect it's having on the deficit.

They are determined to enforce the austerity narrative, as part of an ideological struggle rather than as good economics. Spending on infrastructure would be counter to this, as all spending has to be bad, and all cuts have to be good.

There's a reason Osborne is Chancellor, and much like his policies and education, it has fuck all to do with economics.

Shit that needs doing:

Motorway between Manchester and Sheffield (A57)
3rd Runway at Heathrow (and a 4th...and a 5th)
HSR fast-tracked. Start building it up from London and down from Glasgow.

Agreed on HSR, but this needs to be combined with electrification and modernisation of trunk routes. We need a fast North-South spine, but that has to be matched with adequate East-West links.

Heathrow does need expansion, but not indefinitely. Better to add capacity at other, Northern, airports. Spread the load, share the wealth, etc.

Infrastructure spending in general needs more equal geographical distribution, far too much is focused in the South-East.

pulsemyne

Dead. This government loves to talk about infrastructure and big projects but when it comes time to actually making it happen all we get are excuses.

My bank has given them countless scenarios in which the government could put their good credit rating to use and get the country building/engineering/working and they are always well received by ministers but eventually get shot down for unknown reasons.

I liked our plan to create a new special investment vehicle capitalised with £100bn and tasked to improve national infrastructure, from power generation down to waste water reclamation. It uses low government interest rates, can be excluded from the balance sheet like National Rail and if it is run correctly (none of this "in the public interest" bollocks, run it like a business) and it will increase economic capacity for when the good times return.

Whatever happens in the budget, we can count on one thing. He will mention infrastructure projects a bunch of times, and then over the course of the year they will all come to nought.

Utterly shocking. To think that this government could be doing such things to improve the country and just looks at such proposals and says "Nah to much effort". Just thinking about power infrastructure alone, that would create huge numbers of jobs because it's a quite a labour intensive area and is also vital to the economic well being of a country.

Ahahahahaha that makes me so happy. There's something hugely satisfying about these cunts that simultaneously lie in court whilst telling others how to live their lives being sent to the prisons they themselves maintain that makes me bloody joyous.

I'm glad the wife got the same sentence. The media coverage and undercurrent of benevolent sexism had me really worried she was going to get off scot-free. She seemed vindictive as fuck and people have a mind of their own -- she was just as in the wrong as he was.

defel

Im glad that his ex-wife also got jail time too after her pathetic attempt to exact revenge.

I feel sorry for their kids, they must be facepalming at the behaviour by both their parents.

Im glad that his ex-wife also got jail time too after her pathetic attempt to exact revenge.

I feel sorry for their kids, they must be facepalming at the behaviour by both their parents.

One of the kids seemed fairly ensconced on the Mother's side of things -- judging by his emotional tirades in texts and phone calls to his father, I suspect he's going to be very fucked up by all of this, sadly. But then, maybe time away from their manipulations and their overly public lives can be a good thing for him.

defel

One of the kids seemed fairly ensconced on the Mother's side of things -- judging by his emotional tirades in texts and phone calls to his father, I suspect he's going to be very fucked up by all of this, sadly. But then, maybe time away from their manipulations and their overly public lives can be a good thing for him.

I was shocked to that the judge actually released those text messages to the public

I'm glad the wife got the same sentence. The media coverage and undercurrent of benevolent sexism had me really worried she was going to get off scot-free. She seemed vindictive as fuck and people have a mind of their own -- she was just as in the wrong as he was.

I mostly agree but, in her defence, she did commit at least one less crime than he did (that is, speeding).

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Nice stuff from the FT this week, skewering Coalition economic policy:

"David Cameron’s “there is no alternative” speech last week on the UK economy has aroused much criticism. This is justified.The British prime minister’s arguments for sticking to the government’s programme of fiscal austerity were overwhelmingly wrong-headed.

It is easy to understand why he had to defend the government’s failing flagship policy. The incoming coalition embarked on a programme of austerity with the emergency Budget of June 2010. The economy, then showing signs of recovery, has since stagnated. Even the fiscal outcomes are poor. Indeed, according to the latest Green Budget from the authoritative Institute for Fiscal Studies, this fiscal year’s borrowing requirement may be bigger than last year’s. Only a productivity collapse saved the day – by keeping unemployment surprisingly low, ameliorating the social impact of the output disaster

How does one defend this record? Simon Wren-Lewis of the University of Oxford and Jonathan Portes of the National Institute of Economic and Social Research, among others, have demolished the prime minister’s views. Here are the key points.

Mr Cameron argues that those who think the government can borrow more “think there’s some magic money tree. Well, let me tell you a plain truth: there isn’t.” This is quite wrong. First, there is a money tree, called the Bank of England, which has created £375bn to finance its asset purchases. Second, like other solvent institutions, governments can borrow. Third, markets deem the government solvent, since they are willing to lend to it at the lowest rates in UK history. And, finally, markets are doing this because of the structural financial surpluses in the private and foreign sectors.

Again, Mr Cameron notes that “last month’s downgrade was the starkest possible reminder of the debt problem we face”. No, it is not, for three reasons. First, Moody’s stressed that the big problem for the UK was the sluggish economic growth in the medium term, which austerity has made worse. Second, the rating of a sovereign that cannot default on debt in its own currency means little. Third, the reason for believing long-term interest rates will rise is expectations of high inflation and so higher short-term rates. But such a shift is going to follow a recovery, which would make austerity effective and timely.

Mr Cameron also argued: “As the independent Office for Budget Responsibility has made clear ... growth has been depressed by the financial crisis ... and the problems in the eurozone ... and a 60 per cent rise in oil prices between August 2010 and April 2011. They are absolutely clear that the deficit reduction plan is not responsible.” This brought a rejoinder from Robert Chote, OBR director, who noted that: “Every forecast published by the OBR since the June 2010 Budget has incorporated the widely held assumption that tax increases and spending cuts reduce economic growth in the short term.”

Serious researchers, including at international organisations, argue that the multiplier effect of fiscal austerity may be far bigger than the OBR has hitherto assumed, at least in today’s depressed circumstances. Moreover, even if the OBR believes the outcome turned out worse than forecast because of adverse shocks, rather than its underestimation of multipliers, this is an argument for active policy, not against it.

The prime minister also stated: “[Labour] think that by borrowing more they would miraculously end up borrowing less ... Yes, it really is as incredible as that.” What truly is incredible is that Mr Cameron cannot understand that, if an entity that spends close to half of gross domestic product retrenches as the private sector is also retrenching, the decline in overall output may be so large that its finances end up worse than when it started. Bradford DeLong of Berkeley and Larry Summers, the former US Treasury secretary, have shown that, in a depressed economy, what Mr Cameron deems incredible is likely to be true. A recent International Monetary Fund paper argues that “fiscal tightening could raise the debt ratio in the short term, as fiscal gains are partly wiped out by the decline in output”. Mr Portes adds that, even if this is not true for the UK on its own, it is likely to be true for Europe since almost everybody is retrenching simultaneously.

Mr Cameron argues that “this deficit didn’t suddenly appear purely as a result of the global financial crisis. It was driven by persistent, reckless and completely unaffordable government spending and borrowing over many years.” In a way, this is the most worrying error – not because the fiscal policy of the Labour party, then in power, was perfect. Far from it. Fiscal policy should have been tighter. But that is not the main reason the UK has a huge structural deficit.

It is the economy, stupid. In 2007, according to the IMF, UK net debt – at 38 per cent of GDP – was the second-lowest in the Group of Seven leading economies. These levels were also exceptionally low by UK historical standards. In the March 2008 Budget, the Treasury estimated the structural cyclically adjusted deficit on the current budget at minus 0.7 per cent in 2007-08 and minus 0.5 per cent in 2008-09. The collapse in output has caused the explosion in deficits and debt. Almost everybody underestimated the vulnerability, the Conservative leadership among them: pre-crisis, it committed itself to continuing the plans that Mr Cameron now calls “reckless and unaffordable”.
Some think reckless spending explains the jump in government spending from 40.7 per cent of GDP in 2007-08 to 47.4 per cent two years later. Yet, between 1996-97 (the year before Labour came into office) and 2007-08 (the year before the crisis), the share of spending in GDP rose by only 1.2 per cent. No: the collapse in GDP, relative to expectations, caused the jump in spending and decline in receipts, relative to GDP. The Green Budget compares the forecasts for 2012-13 made in the 2008 Budget and the 2012 Autumn Statement: nominal GDP is down 13.6 per cent, receipts are down 17.6 per cent, spending is down 5.6 per cent and borrowing is up 372 per cent. It is because the OBR (and others) believe most of this lost GDP is permanent that the position seems so grim. (See charts.)

Mr Cameron’s argument against fiscal policy flexibility is wrong. But, beyond this, we have to consider why the economy has proved so fragile and rebalancing so difficult. That is for next week."

There's an inherent conflict in Democratic mandate. MEPs have a responsibility to sort out the budget, but have no say (or reason to care) about how the implications of that budget are paid for by central government treasuries. What has to get cut locally to inflate their budget? That certainly isn't within their mandate, that's in the national governments mandate. That's why there are events like that in Feb to agree with those tasked with actually implementing the budgets on the limits for the Parliament to work within, because at the end of the day, MEPs could agree to a rise of £500bn but if the members can't afford it, it doesn't mean much. Bit of a mess.

That's a very low percentage of the £14bn increase they're pushing for - wonder why we're getting such a bargain.

I know, right? So cheap!

Incidentally, I just saw this advert for a speedboat with 90% off. What a great bargain! I mean, sure I'm absolutely broke at the moment but what a deal. Now is definitely the time to buy a speedboat.

And yes, yes, I do already own a speedboat. But this one is so much larger, harder to steer and more inefficient. I think I'd be getting quite the bargain if I went ahead and paid for it.

Pasco_

Banned
Welp, Dave has bottled it on Minimum Alcohol Pricing and Leveson, and is being pushed around by his ministers over the ECHR, etc.

Beginning of the end?

Walshicus

I know, right? So cheap!

Incidentally, I just saw this advert for a speedboat with 90% off. What a great bargain! I mean, sure I'm absolutely broke at the moment but what a deal. Now is definitely the time to buy a speedboat.

And yes, yes, I do already own a speedboat. But this one is so much larger, harder to steer and more inefficient. I think I'd be getting quite the bargain if I went ahead and paid for it.

Who are you, Comrade Sarcasm?

Anyhow, had a look at the BBC article on this. It's actually completely and totally right for the EU parliament to do this. They're not arguing the 3.3% decrease, they're arguing that governments need to resolve the conflict between that decrease and the fact that the EU isn't allowed to accumulate debt (which it will if the budget goes ahead as-is):
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21754737

But yeah, the Torygraph didn't really emphasis that. Wonder why...

Who are you, Comrade Sarcasm?

Anyhow, had a look at the BBC article on this. It's actually completely and totally right for the EU parliament to do this. They're not arguing the 3.3% decrease, they're arguing that governments need to resolve the conflict between that decrease and the fact that the EU isn't allowed to accumulate debt (which it will if the budget goes ahead as-is):
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21754737

But yeah, the Torygraph didn't really emphasis that. Wonder why...

Ok, maybe I got a little carried away there.
I quite like the name Comrade Sarcasm though :p

I think what grates me though is the use of the word "demand" here. It would seem natural, when presented with a "demand" to ask oneself "or else what?".

Wes

venison crêpe
Just heard a story about a Labour plant in the Question Time crowd to bash a UKIP member of the panel? Politics is ridiculous.

Welp, Dave has bottled it on Minimum Alcohol Pricing and Leveson, and is being pushed around by his ministers over the ECHR, etc.

Beginning of the end?

Who would challenge him? All parties seem really weak to me with regards to current and potential leaders. Better the devil you know and all that.

Walshicus

Ok, maybe I got a little carried away there.
I quite like the name Comrade Sarcasm though :p

I think what grates me though is the use of the word "demand" here. It would seem natural, when presented with a "demand" to ask oneself "or else what?".

I think that's just the wording used by the article authors. I looked at the original link and found only one reference to "demand":
http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?type=MOTION&reference=B7-2013-0129&language=EN
7. Is therefore determined to prevent any further shifts of payments from 2013 to the next MFF; recalls the declaration annexed to the EU Budget 2013 calling for the Commission to present, at an early stage in the year 2013, a Draft Amending Budget devoted to the sole purpose of covering all unpaid payment claims for 2012; emphasises that it will not start negotiations on the MFF until the Commission comes forward with an Amending Budget corresponding to this political commitment, and will not conclude these negotiations before the final adoption by Council and Parliament of this Amending Budget; also demands a political engagement from the Council that all legal obligations due in 2013 will be paid out by the end of this year;

Must be true then.

Stop reading stuff from Daily Fail.

There does seem to be some validity to their claims based on the images, etc provided in the article. That's something I never thought I'd say.

Doesn't make much of a difference though. Regardless of if she was there as a plant or a concerned citizen eager, it needed to be done and I applaud her taking the opportunity to highlight their misleading, underhanded scare tactics.

Here's the clip from QT for those who haven't seen it.

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2013/03/question-time-audience-member-slams-ukip-on-immigration-stats/

SteveWD40

Theresa May? She seems to be making some waves with her removal of the Human Rights Act shitshow.

fOPnv.gif

Even Ed could beat her in a general though...

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/live...will-be-hit-with-bedroom-tax-100252-32722535/

A GRIEVING Liverpool family were told they must pay the controversial “bedroom tax” after their son choked to death on a sweet.

Lindsey Wade and her husband, Barry, lost their 10-year-old son, Kane, after an ambulance was delayed because their home could not be found on a computer system.

Barry, 53, had a mental breakdown and the family are still fighting to discover the full truth behind how the ambulance managed to get lost en route to their home in Pennycress Drive, Norris Green.

And, in another cruel blow, the family have been told they must pay bedroom tax on Kane’s room.

Under benefit changes, which take effect in April, anyone in social housing deemed to have a spare room loses 14% for their first room, and 25% for two or more.

Lindsey, 39, whose three daughters Nadine, 21, Olivia, 14 and Romy, two, also live in the house, calculates the family will lose around £56 per month.

The family moved to their rented four-bedroom house in Pennycress Drive in April, 2011, so Kane, who was autistic, could have his own room and a garden to play in.

He died just three months later.

Lindsey said his room has remained as it was when he died and now the family’s pain has been heightened by the fine for keeping Kane’s memory alive.

She said: “We just had a letter the other day to say they would be charging us bedroom tax on Kane’s bedroom.

“We read it and thought ‘this is just another kick in the teeth’.

“Barry has not been able to work, he had a mental breakdown after Kane died.

“They’ve tried to kick Barry off ESA [Employment Support Allowance], and he’s got an appeal next month.

“We’ve lost our son and we can’t even get a helping hand. We just take one day at a time at the moment, and every week it seems like there is something else.

“We even got turned down for legal aid, but a terrorist gets legal aid in this country.”

The family are still waiting to discover the full truth of how an ambulance was unable to find their house because it did not show up on the North West Ambulance Service’s (NWAS) computer system.

Thoughts?

What is there to say?

This is just a sample of what's coming based on the figures I've seen at work. It's going to hit adults with disability the hardest. So hard that a sharp increase in homelessness of disabled adults is something we should all prepare for.

The new regime changes hit disabled people so hard it feels like it's purposeful sometimes. Like the ATOS tests being completely ill-equipped to deal with mental health issues, which the article also touched on.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
The new regime changes hit disabled people so hard it feels like it's purposeful sometimes. Like the ATOS tests being completely ill-equipped to deal with mental health issues, which the article also touched on.

Maybe they should stop being scrounging scum and get a job?

ATOS seem mandated to minimise claimants. Which is fine. But surely its in governments best interests that they don't penalise truly vulnerable people in a time of need.

The ESA review for the father of this kid should be pushed to the bottom of a pile and not taken from him until later. Even then his mental state should be assessed fairly. The bedroom tax should have caveats and exemptions in a given financial year... a person dying is obviously a legitimate reason to have an empty room. The whole policy is vile, they should at least try and police it with some semblance of humanity.

If we were talking about any other family in Norris Green, one that hadn't experienced a death, I'd probably be prone to prejudice and thinking they should just deal with it -- but they have. And actually, parts of it are the poorest in Liverpool and there are no doubt a lot of vulnerable people there whose lives are going to go from shit to worse because of things like this. There will be consequences to things like this. Long lasting social consequences.

Pasco_

Banned
Who would challenge him? All parties seem really weak to me with regards to current and potential leaders. Better the devil you know and all that.

The Tory agitators don't really give a monkey's who's next, they just really hate Dave (for exactly the opposite reasons that the rest of us hate Dave).

Of course it's purposeful. Disabled people stop costing money when they're dead.

It's also pretty standard practice for governments to target the disabled and disadvantaged when times are hard, they're less likely to fight back.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
I don't think it's that surprising, really. Lots of things that governments of all colours do take a long time to come to fruition, and usually the time before it does is worse than if nothing had been done at all. As an example, the traffic and hassle that has resulted from Crossrail being constructed has made life worse for most that live nearby than if they hadn't. But that can't stop you doing it. (There may well be reasons not to do it, but that shouldn't be one of them).

Not to mention, of course, that the opposition will always claim they would have done loads of awesome things that would have worked perfectly. When in reality, they'd have been just as fucked as the incumbents and their ideas are fucking cretinous anyway.

It's a feeling shared among many of the disabled adults I've talked to. This will probably be looked back upon as the single worst thing this government will have done if changes aren't made for disabled adults.

ATOS is a complete joke. Utter joke, no-one should ever be subjected to the garbage they subject people to day in and day out.

CHEEZMO™;50117673 said:
Never stopped them shutting down mental health facilities or allowing landlords to buy up huge swathes of council housing.

Indeed. Allowing the sale of social housing was probably one of the worst things Thatcher could have done and it's being replicated now by the current Government through the home ownership scheme.

Classic Cameron:

Prime Minister David Cameron has called a halt to cross-party talks on press regulation, sparking anger from party leaders and victims of media intrusion.

Mr Cameron said he would publish plans for a royal charter to establish a tougher press regulator and will ask Parliament to vote on it on Monday.

Both Labour and the Lib Dems said they were disappointed and surprised.

The two parties had backed statutory underpinning as recommended by the Leveson inquiry into the press.

The inquiry was set up by Mr Cameron to examine the culture, practice and ethics of the press in the wake of the phone-hacking scandal at the now-defunct News of the World tabloid.

Its 2,000-page report, published in November, found press behaviour was "outrageous" and "wreaked havoc with the lives of innocent people".

It recommended that the press should set up a tough new independent regulator, but the system should be underpinned by legislation to ensure the system was effective.

The report exposed divisions in the coalition government, with Mr Cameron opposing statutory control.

So, nobody cares about this anymore, then. You'd all rather laugh at the nutter MP who started another pub fight.

No wonder Cameron and cronies get away with so much shit.
Cameron is right if that's in relation to the current libel reform bill that Labour are paying politics with. As things stand, much needed libel reform is about to be scrapped because of shitty additions from labour peers trying to squeeze in Leveson recommendations where they're not needed.

Top Bottom