• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Retailer GAME is dead | Brera's Lament

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the nearest GAME wasn't 15 miles away I might be tempted to go for a drive and see if I can find a bargain. Probably nothing I'd be interested in, though.

Plus it would make me happier to not give them a few last coins.

PaulLFC

Nope. All GAME/Gamestation stores are doing the same sales. It just seems to me like a lot of them are taking their time actually getting them out.
Is Amalur going to be £22ish everywhere? My local stores had mostly finished pricing the preowned games, but none of them had many new games on sale.

LordAlu

Is Amalur going to be £22ish everywhere? My local stores had mostly finished pricing the preowned games, but none of them had many new games on sale.
It should be the same everywhere, but I'm very unsure about the £22 price - I'm pretty sure when we were pricing 360 yesterday the single 2nd-hand copy we had was down from £38 to £32.

Salvadora

Got a letter in the post saying they were sorry for not sending me my copy of ME3,They included 5 pounds credit. I didn't even order it :p

BluWacky

Oxford Street doesn't really have much worth speaking about to pick up, but they do have several copies of Disaster (Wii) for £1.98, which is definitely worth paying that much for if you don't already have it.

Nothing new stickered up, and pre-owned Amalur was still £30. I think AssCreed Revelations was also £30, which is more than they've been selling new copies for!

HTuran

CBA to check the Oxford store. If people report hardware discounts I'll go and take a look.

The staff there all seemed happy enough the orher day
Yeah, went in there for the first time in years just the other day. Seemed normal, staff were upbeat. Overheard someone complaining about ME3 pre-orders, lol.

teeny

Advanced Wars: Dark Conflict
Brink
Bulletstorm
Dark Sector
Lost Odyssey
Nier
Bayonetta
Ratchet And Clank: A Crack In Time
Killzone 2

That is a lot of entertainment for the tidy sum of £30(ish). The staff were chipper, which was good. Still felt kinda guilty though.

PaulLFC

Advanced Wars: Dark Conflict
Brink
Bulletstorm
Dark Sector
Lost Odyssey
Nier
Bayonetta
Ratchet And Clank: A Crack In Time
Killzone 2

That is a lot of entertainment for the tidy sum of £30(ish). The staff were chipper, which was good. Still felt kinda guilty though.
How much was R&C: Crack in Time? I saw a copy in Game but it wasn't priced up yet. May pick it up after work.

mclem

CBA to check the Oxford store. If people report hardware discounts I'll go and take a look.

Planning to go there tomorrow after work during my Sainsbury's trip. Is the concession in Debenhams still there? Been ages since I was last in Debenhams.

Omikaru

Staff seemed in good spirits when I was there. Here's my haul:

AneGfBICEAAJC_5.jpg

The guy at the checkout told me he'd kept a bunch of 360 games in the back for himself, and it showed. Their 360 collection was dire.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Hardware for my store comes end of day and will be ready for tomorrow. We are still taking trade ins. And will keep selling preowned. As far as I'm told they are trying to make as much money as fast as possible if it involves big sales then so be it

Omikaru

I got the last one in the Cardiff Queen Street store. The manager was like, "Some good deals here, like this." He showed me Space Marine and was about to put it on the shelf. I said I'd take it and he just handed it to me.

Probably the best bargain of the bunch.

Jaeyden

Went to both of the Games and the Gamestation in Meadowhall - Sheffield.

Got Resistance 3 £7.98
Dante's Inferno £4.98
Call of Juarez £4.98
Dead Space £2.99
BlazBlue £1.98
Dragon Age £4.98
Child of Eden £2.98

Usually don't buy pre-owned but...oh well.

Omikaru

Disappointed I didn't find Child of Eden. I'd have snapped that up in a flash. May return tomorrow to see what their hardware firesale is like, and have a looksie for it again.

For the love of God, don't let Gamestop buy GAME's stores in Spain! :'(

I'll go check some GAMEs later, but I don't expect any decent deals... GAME even carries SFxTekken and Mass Effect 3 here. Damn you, lucky brits :(

Linkified

You can demand a box wrapped in cellophane and they can tell you they don't have any. If you've already walked out of the shop then you've been chumped unfortunately.

Wait really! Cause it was when I took off the shitty sticker about returns policy I found the disk covered in scratches.

From Stockport, Manchester

PS3 games cost me from Gamestation.

Heavenly Sword (98p)
Dead Space 2: Limited Edition (£4.98p),
Borderlands GOTY Edition (£2.98p)
BioShock 2 (4.98p)
Soul Calibur IV (98p)
Killzone 2 was under 50p!

Pre-owned of course, but still good.

no angel

Just picked up my copy of mass effect from my loal indie (what street date?) and had a chat with the owner about Game's problems. Popped into the local Gamestation (space marine for the 360 for £8, not quite as good as £2 but I'm still happy) and saw him in there looking for stock to sell in his store! Felt strangely dirty picking through gamestation's preowned, a little like I was looting a corpse :/

Omikaru

Felt strangely dirty picking through gamestation's preowned, a little like I was looting a corpse :/
I don't feel bad. They fleeced me when I was younger and knew no better, and they've been fleecing my less-informed friends for years too, so this is just payback.

Zoibie

I'm going down tomorrow when I pick up ME3 (from hmv), I hope there's still some good stuff left. Hoping I'll be able to find Child of Eden, Rage, and maybe El Shaddai for a decent price.

daviyoung

Banned
Wait really! Cause it was when I took off the shitty sticker about returns policy I found the disk covered in scratches.

If it's scratched then of course you can take it back. Same as if there is supposed to be a DLC/online pass but isn't.

If however, it's just a loose disk and manual in a random box then that can constitute as 'new' because they'll sometimes separate games from boxes for security reasons.

no angel

I'm going down tomorrow when I pick up ME3 (from hmv), I hope there's still some good stuff left. Hoping I'll be able to find Child of Eden, Rage, and maybe El Shaddai for a decent price.

It seems prices can vary between stores but I saw Rage for £12 new on ps3.

acm2000

Just picked up my copy of mass effect from my loal indie (what street date?) and had a chat with the owner about Game's problems. Popped into the local Gamestation (space marine for the 360 for £8, not quite as good as £2 but I'm still happy) and saw him in there looking for stock to sell in his store! Felt strangely dirty picking through gamestation's preowned, a little like I was looting a corpse :/

getting all skyrim up in GAME!

PaulLFC

DJ Hero 2 (360) is £2.98 on Game/Gamestation websites. Keeps going out of stock but set up a stock alert, I just managed to grab one before it went out of stock again.

Goron2000

best junior ever

They did this to me when i bought DJ Hero new and the turntable was covered in greasy fingermarks and scratches. They wouldn't let me return it at the store so i had to phone the company headquarters and pretty much demand my money back. Customer services phoned up the store and said they couldn't do anything because the manager refused to give me a refund, i wouldn't to give up though and ended up being passed so far up the chain that if i went any higher i'd have been speaking to the CEO, anyway in the end the most i got was store credit. I now refuse to buy anything from Game.

However, as this sale is probably leading to their demise i may partake.

I have £40.50 to spend in gamestation....what a load of crap they have.

I went in wanting either SSX Xbox 360 or NHL 12, none. Then i thought MGS HD, none, Jak HD? None.

The pre owned sale on ps3 is good but ive played most of them, the 360 pre owned sale is pathetic. The only thing I could see that I wanted is soul cali on xbox but it was £35, i think its £25 in tesco >_<

Kingdoms of Amalur was £42.99 brand new on xbox.

Reigan

Banned
Went in today game only had stickers on xbox games and the gamestation had not marked down anything, might go back and check tomorrow.

winstano

Picked up 5 games for £9.50. Bulletstorm, Halo 3 & ODST, Brutal Legend and Killzone 2.

Got back to the office, ODST's campaign disc looks like it's been used as a coaster for cups made from razor blades.

Found out I also had £10 on my reward card, so that's getting spent asap on PSN credit.

mclem

Yeah, just the GAME and Build-a-Bear Workshop in the Westgate, AFAIK.

Fixed. The only Gamestation I'm aware of in the Oxford area is the one down the road from me in Templar's Square outside the city centre. I'll be dropping in there on Saturday when I go to send my mother's day card!

R&R

Got Bulletstorm LE, Medal of Honor LE and Resistance 2 for around 10£...not bad.

Something to do for the weekend =)

Slair

Fuck sake, all you guys getting deals, i thought maybe most of the sales were online, but seeing your hauls from brick and mortar stores is shocking. It says "mega sale" in marker on a sign outside of game here but they only have a few games stickered up with the red sticker and they are selling absolutely no pre-owned wii games for a lower price, you guys get pikmin for £1.98, here it's £7.99 still. Gamestation doesn't even look like it has anything on sale, nothing is marked down and there is no sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom