• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobe

GG biza, i had to go im setting up a bbq today and ppl have started buggin me to cook.
btw lighting is broken. that shit has to many active frames.

Dahbomb

Jago tweeted this:
"Who are top 10 players in UMVC3 in the world!? (no particular order) Try an base your opinion on how you feel a player would do against the overall community rather then a players Tournament performance. I ask this question because i will be doing some research on players... and making a video discussing this topic!"

This should be a good topic of discussion. These are my picks for top 10 best players in Marvel (no order).

1) Justin "Marvelous" Wong - The middle name says it all. Justin knows Marvel. He has the reactions, the fundamentals and the reads to always excel at this game. Plus he thrives on the comeback style of the game as the Justin factor is STRONG in UMVC3. There has only been one case of Justin not making top 8 in a major in Ultimate and that can be attributed to team weaknesses which is what Justin needs to look into to really hit his stride by EVO time. No matter the stakes, the competition and the day... my money is going to be on the "Marvelous" one.

2) PRBalrog - The poster boy of the hard hitting unrelentling style of play in Ultimate. PRBalrog is a very tenacious player and his hunger is greater. A very good combination of fundamentals, adaptability and clutch in a player all good things to have for a Marvel player. PRBalrog may not be the most stylish Marvel player but god damn if he isn't the most solid.

3) FChamp - Time and time again FChamp continues to impress me. Very few players in Marvel really grind out the optimization on their teams and really delve deep into the mechanics. The work he has put into the game is astounding and he has very much deserved the major title he won at NCR. Pretty much the king of Marvel NCR at this point. One of the best defensive players in the world showing that even tight defense and zoning works wonder even in a game like this.

4) ChrisG - aka Genius/Grab/G-sus/Grip/Godlike. While I feel that over the course of the year he has become a bit more complacent and less clutch... he is still one of the best players in Marvel easily. ChrisG loves utilizing the unorthodox and making it orthodox with his extremely solid fundamentals and ability to grab opponents in psychic manner. He may has lost some respects from the fans with his new style of play but that doesn't make him any less of a threat.

5) MarlinPie - The technical wizard of Marvel. Takes grinding out to a whole new level as few other players have really delved into their team synergy as Marlin has with his. If there is a new tech out there you know MarlinPie is on that ass. Superlative execution, solid game plan and set ups... a formidable opponent no matter what and on his day he is god tier in this game. And he can block ladies.

6) Combofiend - The GOD DAMN Combofiend. While Combo has slacked off in the game recently he still manages to provide consistent performance at the game and proves himself to be a dominant figure in the game. It's only a matter of time before he gets back into the action and really goes deep with his team because if Vanilla was any indication, Combo was a master of squeezing out every juice of synergy on his team as possible. The master of the clutch and comebacks, you can never sleep on the Comebackfiend.

7) Kusuru - His win at Final Round was not a fluke. This guy has fundamentals and Marvel style play that is simply immaculate. This reads and solidity of play is quite exceptional and the way he utilized his teams' toolset was a sight to behold. If he played at US tournaments more then he would win more although that would allow the US players to adjust to his tactics more. I also feel that there are a couple more Japanese players who are really good most notably Abegen.

8) Zak Bennet - IMO the best player in the UK right now with one of the best teams in the game. Another master of team synergies and really squeezing out the optimization of his toolset. He has the fundamentals as he was a 3rd Strike player and I am hoping for a break out performance at Shadowloo Showdown so that people are more aware of him.

9) MastaCJ/Yipes - A toss up that depends upon their upcoming performance. MastaCJ has the results to back up his play but he is the epitome of "do it until it works". Well one of these days it's not going to work and he's going to be in for a rude awakening. If only he maximized his team's potential he would be a huge threat in this game. Yipes has been biding his team for quite a while and has been on the rise with a break out performance at Final Round. He appeared to have hit his stride in the game and he has been going in at the game since it came out and it's going to pay off. There is going to come a time where one of these players is going to be extremely good but it depends upon who puts in the work.

10) Mihe/Flocker - Another toss up but there is pretty much 1 major reason why they made it top 10 and that's because these 2 stand tall as the two best Zero players in the US. That makes them a major threat at any tournament they enter as Zero is such a dominating character in this game. Flocker has the amazing fundamentals while Mihe has the technical execution. Both players are on the verge of a break out performance especially Mihe (although I would argue Final Round was his break out performance).

Other players who still have to make their break out:

Viscant: Pretty much has gone underground training mode for quite some time. Seems like he is biding his time and grinding out at the game. He is not going to relinquish his EVO title without a fight so best believe he has something cooking up.

Clockwork: Another player who is a master at optimizing teams and synergies but he is lacking that something which pushes him into greatness. He is one of those players that on his day can wreck any competition but he has seen few of those days recently.

Fanatiq: A training lab monster and Fanatiq usually impresses especially at local competition but at majors/EVO he falters and chokes more than he should. A master of his team and one of the best Magnus players in the business.

Noel the Professional Brown: Noel has really faltered in the game as of late. He was a very consistent performer in the game early on but has dropped mostly because his team is figured out and there are a lot of counter strategies against it. He has failed to adapt to the meta game and hence has been struggling to get the wins. Still though he understands the game and has solid enough fundamentals to hang with the best.

DJHoushen: Another very consistent performer in the game who has been getting better with each major he attends. While he isn't quite top 10 he has the skill to beat anyone in it and has a knack for surprise performances.

smurfx

get some go again
good list dahbomb and i hate those kinda lists since it leaves out so many good players that can beat you on any given day. socal in particular has sooo many killers.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Jago tweeted this:

This should be a good topic of discussion. These are my picks for top 10 best players in Marvel (no order).

1) Justin "Marvelous" Wong - The middle name says it all. Justin knows Marvel. He has the reactions, the fundamentals and the reads to always excel at this game. Plus he thrives on the comeback style of the game as the Justin factor is STRONG in UMVC3. There has only been one case of Justin not making top 8 in a major in Ultimate and that can be attributed to team weaknesses which is what Justin needs to look into to really hit his stride by EVO time. No matter the stakes, the competition and the day... my money is going to be on the "Marvelous" one.

There was 2, whatever the recent one was and NEC.

I have never even heard of Zak Bennet.

Grecco

Mihe? Top 10 in the world? That a stretch.

Any talk of top players need to have Knives. Hes probably surpassed Fanatiq too

I have never even heard of Zak Bennet.

Plays Firebrand. I think the only firebrand player right now since Chris G dropped Firebrand again. Hes going to Australia so it will be a chance to see how he matches with world class international marvel talent.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Plays Firebrand. I think the only firebrand player right now since Chris G dropped Firebrand again. Hes going to Australia so it will be a chance to see how he matches with world class international marvel talent.
Didn't Fanatiq enter but not place in NCRX?

Tobe

imo i dont think he has surpassed him in terms of mentality, strategy and overall skill, its just that he has better characters.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yes

My favorite Marvel player right now is FChamp, he has the cleanest Magneto of them all, makes me sad that Yipes dropped him.
FChamp and RayRay's Magnetos are on another level. They're so fluid, and organic.

Also, Fanatiq was knocked into losers pretty early at The Runback on Thursday. Him and Clockw0rk aren't the most consistent bunch, even if they're still good overall. Just relative to everyone else they're not.

rexor0717

So I just figured out that Taskmaster can do his XF Aim Master corner loop against some of the smaller characters even when he's not using XF. Kind of neat, but does less damage than the Sting Master loop.
I have yet to be able to pull of the sting master loop. Also, can Task even do the self relaunch in the game anymore? I was able to do it pretty consistently in vanilla, but never in this game.

USD

KVOLUTION x GODSGARDEN got announced just a little bit ago. It's a UMvC3 8-player invitational tournament with 3 players chosen by invite (Ageo Joe/Kusoru, Condor, Chou), 3 by fan vote, and 2 by a day-of qualifier. The winner of KVOGODS gets a ticket to EVO.

Tobe

KVOLUTION x GODSGARDEN got announced just a little bit ago. It's a UMvC3 8-player invitational tournament with 3 players chosen by invite (Ageo Joe/Kusoru, Condor, Chou), 3 by fan vote, and 2 by a day-of qualifier. The winner of KVOGODS gets a ticket to EVO.

hope they discover some kind of game breaking changing glitch

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Anyone wanna get some games in on 360 right now?

Paging Dahbomb: What's a good beginner Iron Man mid-screen combo? I can't use flight mode if my life depended on it. I can't seem to hit the dash>midscreen OTG with very much consistency. Any easy combos that bring someone to the corner without flight mode, or tips on making that Dash>OTG easier?

edit: Sp00ky is live, eff it.

Real dumb question but do all of Dantes BnB's in Ultimate work in vanilla (outside of ones using the 2 air dashes of course)

At my mothers and I think of getting some practise in 2moz, but I only have a copy of vanilla to hand.

Bizazedo

GG biza, i had to go im setting up a bbq today and ppl have started buggin me to cook.
btw lighting is broken. that shit has to many active frames.

GG's. I was doing amazing and then broke against Sentinel too much. Like, an embarrassing amount, lol I suck.

I think we both leveled up a bit, though :).

And yeah, my buddy said the same thing today. He didn't mind the cross up part, but it LINGERS.

Tirael

Real dumb question but do all of Dantes BnB's in Ultimate work in vanilla (outside of ones using the 2 air dashes of course)

At my mothers and I think of getting some practise in 2moz, but I only have a copy of vanilla to hand.

It's not a dumb question because it's not really that simple. There was a fundamental change in a lot of Dante's moves. For example, in Vanilla, in order to do Killer Bee, you would need to do QCF+L in the air. In order to get Hammer, you'd have to do QCF+L, QCF+L. In Ultimate, this was changed to QCF+L, L. This was done for several moves, such as Volcano -> Beehive, Lock-on -> Acid Rain, Hysteric -> Grapple, and more.

Dahbomb

good list dahbomb and i hate those kinda lists since it leaves out so many good players that can beat you on any given day. socal in particular has sooo many killers.
Too many people to boil it down to top 10. I had to make a honorable list just to get more people in.

There was 2, whatever the recent one was and NEC.
He made top 8 at NEC too when he beat Jago. He made 4th place.

The only thing missing from his play is the experience but he's getting there. If only he was a coast player he would get the match up experience to win majors. I knew this guy was good back in Vanilla when he ran the tag of Atashiwa.

I forgot Knives, don't know how. He should be there with the work he has put into the game.

Paging Dahbomb: What's a good beginner Iron Man mid-screen combo? I can't use flight mode if my life depended on it. I can't seem to hit the dash>midscreen OTG with very much consistency. Any easy combos that bring someone to the corner without flight mode, or tips on making that Dash>OTG easier?
Any beginner IM combo not utilizing Krispy Kreme (the one with the fly cancel) is going to have problems with whiffed launchers. The easiest IM combo is cr.L, cr.M, st.H, S, M, M, H, d+H, S Smart Bombs Proton Cannon. You can also try the easy Smart Bomb relaunch combo by omitting the jump M's and delaying the j.H's so that IM hits the ground faster. L Smart Bomb -> cr.M, st. H, into launcher after the air S. But I remembered that you even have trouble doing the Wesker low gun shot link so you might not be able to do this either. You can also practice anti-airs off of Repulsor Blast by doing st.L, st.M, S into basic IM air series.

Another mid screen combo is:

cr.M, st.H, st.S, sj.d+H xx air dash down forward, sj.H, [land then jump] j.M, j.M, j.H, j.d+H, cr.M, st.H, st.S, sj.M, sj.M, sj.H, sj.d+H, sj.S, Smart Bomb H xx Proton Cannon (in this combo you have to do the initial sj d+H as soon as you hit the launcher)

I highly recommend learning the alternative Krispy Kreme as there is only one fly cancel involved (to hit the fly cancel combo easier, hold forward right after doing QCF+H). It's hard for a beginner but rewarding for your long term game as it helps you in your hit confirms.

Dash into OTG is easy, just let the dash slide and buffer the command of the Smart Bomb during the dash. If you are having trouble with characters popping out after you do H Smart Bomb right before the Proton Cannon then you have to cancel into the hyper slightly later to let the last wave of Smart Bombs hit.

How do you leave off Dieminion...
Quite frankly he lacks a killer instinct to the game that is vital to win majors in Marvel. That is he doesn't have optimized combos for his team and he leaves a lot of damage that he would've gotten if he had been in the lab more. Plus his Strange is ass although that is attributed to the fact that his team is not one made around for Strange but rather for Joe which is acceptable.

smurfx

get some go again
knives's spencer is really good but i don't feel his sentinel and akuma are anywhere as close. if his sentinel reaches the level of fanatiqs and he then upgrades his akuma then he will be a force to be reckoned with.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I have yet to be able to pull of the sting master loop. Also, can Task even do the self relaunch in the game anymore? I was able to do it pretty consistently in vanilla, but never in this game.
It's character dependent now. Characters with small vertical hitboxes (Raccoon, Amaterasu, Shuma) are the easiest ones to perform the Sting Master loop, self-relaunch, and the non-XF XF loop, likely because it takes them longer for their hitbox to reach the ground after hitting them with shield skills.

Tobe

GG's. I was doing amazing and then broke against Sentinel too much. Like, an embarrassing amount, lol I suck.

I think we both leveled up a bit, though :).

And yeah, my buddy said the same thing today. He didn't mind the cross up part, but it LINGERS.

at first i was getting bodied by being too reckless, instead of trying to kill zero upfront i thought of chipping him away.

also your nova gave me way more problems than zero or wesker, i have this bad habit of backdashing but because nova has this stupid long range cr.b i always get hit.

we should do a long set.

It's not a dumb question because it's not really that simple. There was a fundamental change in a lot of Dante's moves. For example, in Vanilla, in order to do Killer Bee, you would need to do QCF+L in the air. In order to get Hammer, you'd have to do QCF+L, QCF+L. In Ultimate, this was changed to QCF+L, L. This was done for several moves, such as Volcano -> Beehive, Lock-on -> Acid Rain, Hysteric -> Grapple, and more.

I know that... hence the question.

Ive been playing today, and I found it a bit counter intuitive to practise with that in mind, but I have had fun pulling some of my combos off.

I surprisingly, I still get a few good matches locally in vanilla. Id would of thought it would be a wasteland by now.

sephi22

Watching a couple of Rocket Raccoons on stream reminded me of the pre-Raccoon time when MahvelGAF went crazy and everyone swapped avatars.

It was a mix of hilarity and depression. It was such a great time. Heck, Becquerel was Becquerel back then, not Red Arremer (that sellout)
I believe the crazyness starts on this page.

We need to put 'batshit craziness' in that Marvel GAF cycle picture

Tobe

Watching a couple of Rocket Raccoons on stream reminded me of the pre-Raccoon time when MahvelGAF went crazy and everyone swapped avatars.

It was a mix of hilarity and depression. It was such a great time. Heck, Becquerel was Becquerel back then, not Red Arremer (that sellout)

i always like how a lot of ppl are super hype about the game, but when it finally drops like 50% are gone already.

Bizazedo

at first i was getting bodied by being too reckless, instead of trying to kill zero upfront i thought of chipping him away.

also your nova gave me way more problems than zero or wesker, i have this bad habit of backdashing but because nova has this stupid long range cr.b i always get hit.

we should do a long set.

I actually think my Nova does the most work these days. It might be that he's the character on my team people have the least experience against, though.

i always like how a lot of ppl are super hype about the game, but when it finally drops like 50% are gone already.
It always made me a bit mad that these people would be hyping and defending the ever loving shit out of Capcom's retarded ass decisions when this game was coming out. Then they'd disappear into the woodwork and we'd be left with the aftermath. At least UMvC3 turned out pretty good despite the rushes and lack of proper funding.

We were all so pure and naive back then. :')

kirblar

It always made me a bit mad that these people would be hyping and defending the ever loving shit out of Capcom's retarded ass decisions when this game was coming out. Then they'd disappear into the woodwork and we'd be left with the aftermath. At least UMvC3 turned out pretty good despite the rushes and lack of proper funding.

We were all so pure and naive back then. :')
Ya :( Really sad that we probably won't even get a minor balance update.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

hahaha. good time, good time.

Dahbomb

I know right. Talk about a turn heel.

By the way this is the Umbrella plus Dante/Vergil infant pic that implies Wesker as their creator (Sparda):

0l9Mh.jpg

This happens with every game.

Curley Mustache tournament footage has been uploaded on Youtube. It's fresh because no one has seen it as there was no tournament stream. lol

kirblar

I would like to think that that UMvC3X rumor has some truth to it. I would happily drop $15 on an AE styled update. Captivate should provide some answers.
The problem has been UMvC3's lukewarm sales- it may just not have the install base to justify spending resources on an add-on.

Frantic

I actually think my Nova does the most work these days. It might be that he's the character on my team people have the least experience against, though.
I blame cr.M. Probably 90% of the time I get hit by Nova, it's because I misjudge how freaking FAR that damn move goes. It always manages to clip me in the toes at max distance.

They should make a new DMC game where Wesker is Dante and Vergil's father. I'd pay for that over DmC.
The problem has been UMvC3's lukewarm sales- it may just not have the install base to justify spending resources on an add-on.
Those guys are crazy if they actually expected UMvC3 to outsell AE or Super after dialing it in like that.

Dahbomb

600K sales to a game that they basically re-released in same calendar year... I would say Capcom came out on top of that one.

UMVC3X is not out of the question/picture. At the very least I still expect minor patches (balance/glitches) to the game which would keep the game alive for quite some time.

Azure J

I still believe in UMvC3 getting one update (content and metagame additions/changes) but I feel like that's just my optimism talking. At the very least Niitsuma's talking about doing something else so I'm glad to hear that something else on the fighting side of things is in the works. (Plz be Tatsunoko VS. Capcom 2 - huge roster and good online edition) Gonna go watch the Curleh Mustache videos now, Toonami last night just kinda got me going when the stream dropped that second time and didn't let go thanks to fucking Yu Yu motherfucking Hakusho making an appearance. :lol

Dahbomb

I would say it pretty much is.
Update as in more characters/content or update as in patch/bug/balance changes? I still think we will get balance/patches but the chances of a full on extra add on/expansion is much less likely. Although you never really know with Capcom.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Update as in more characters/content or update as in patch/bug/balance changes? I still think we will get balance/patches but the chances of a full on extra add on/expansion is much less likely. Although you never really know with Capcom.

Characters/content. AE was still over a year after SSFIV. SFxTK is an incomparable scenario because they're all on disc anyways. Especially after the largely negative reaction to releasing UMvC3 so close to MvC3, I don't think they'll push a digitally distributed update to be EVEN closer to to the release of the base game than AE was. If we look a year after UMvC3, that's the end of this gen. Not that that affects games that much, but it's pushing it.

The biggest factor in my head is that Niitsuma's team has moved on to another project. When Ono moved on to SFxTK, he still had a team creating balance content for AE (2012), but not new actual content like characters. This is Niitsuma, who probably doesn't have the luxury of having enough men to maintain two projects at once. I feel like Niitsuma will only deal with technical issues like gamebreaking glitches or DLC costume issues like for Magneto, etc. out of the necessity for those updates

Yeah it is Capcom, so you never know. We might get nothing at Captivate and then all of a sudden zomg 2013 edition announcement at Evo. Maybe all the demands Sven receives will get somewhere, but if it doesn't look profitable, and the install base isn't big enough for them to justify an update, they'll forgo it entirely. At this point, I've accepted that this is all we're getting, and anything else is just gravy on top.

mr. puppy

Banned
Yeah it is Capcom, so you never know. We might get nothing at Captivate and then all of a sudden zomg 2013 edition announcement at Evo. Maybe all the demands Sven receives will get somewhere, but if it doesn't look profitable, and the install base isn't big enough for them to justify an update, they'll forgo it entirely. At this point, I've accepted that this is all we're getting, and anything else is just gravy on top.

Maybe, but what if Capcom realized the ridiculous amount of money the expansion made with those sales, and figured out that based upon those sales they could do a huge DLC release. They're DLC happy right now, so why not.

Imagine if they make a UMVC3X and made some kind of pack with a bunch of really really popular characters.

Like say they add: Mega Man, Ken, Venom, Cyclops and like 4 other reallly really popular franchises and sold it. Thats really really easy money right there. Remember when we all saw the character leak for UMVC? Remember how fucking weird like every character was except strider? that put a lot of people off.

Dahbomb

Ken over Gene? GET THE FUCK OUT WITH THIS SHIT!

Remember how fucking weird like every character was except strider?
I only found Nemesis, Firebrand and RR weird. Firebrand was a good pick though. Ghost Rider, Hawkeye, Iron Fist, Strange, Nova etc are popular Marvel characters and Strider, Vergil, Frank West, Phoenix Wright were like the most requested characters short of MM.

Oh shit back to roster discussion... the MARVEL CYCLE RETURNS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom