• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
She can troll up there with pendulum x 3 + air dash.
-omni directional supers
-fullscreen supers
-Ryu's shinku
-Magnetic shockwave/supers that cover vertical space(top to bottom, right?)
-Assists like Dante's jam session

You'd be better off chucking fireballs with Morrigan between super jump and normal jumps

JeTmAn81

-omni directional supers
-fullscreen supers
-Ryu's shinku
-Magnetic shockwave/supers that cover vertical space(top to bottom, right?)
-Assists like Dante's jam session

You'd be better off chucking fireballs with Morrigan between super jump and normal jumps

Don't forget everybody's favorite; Vajra.

DR2K

Banned
That's not good keepaway, that's inconveniencing a handful of the cast for like six whole seconds.

Good for timer scaming with a health lead, in situations where it's hsnienko vs 1. Run away snap that gold condom on and let them come to you.

Azure J

Marvel has finally clicked with me. I'm not raging as much and my play is getting so much better. C:

Can't wait to go online though, I know that's the real test right there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jIrqoFTuuAE

Assist Me Featuring Chris Redfield Part 2

Also features a GUEST APPEARANCE... :D

Gonna take a shot before I even watch the video:

Dante?

Edit: You guys are falling for this way too easily. When two of the longest running Mahvel GAF heads in SolarPowered and myself have multiple symposiums on the assness of Hsien-Ko and the relatively easy ways to fix her and you buy into this something's just not right. :lol

Edit 2: OH WOW, special guest indeed. :lol

Don't forget everybody's favorite; Vajra.
Yeah, I forgot about that one. It's a rare matchup though. I don't know anyone crazy enough to have Hsien-Ko on their team when XF3 ouroborous could blow them up.
Chun Li has better runaway game than Hsien Ko.
Have you seen her legs? She can probably run farther and faster than most of the cast.
way too obvious

:/

Good for timer scaming with a health lead, in situations where it's hsnienko vs 1. Run away snap that gold condom on and let them come to you.

Unless you're LLND, you will NEVER have the health lead as Hsien-Ko against someone else.

Stop trying to lead lurkers astray. I know it's fun, but c'mon now.

DR2K

Banned
Unless you're LLND, you will NEVER have the health lead as Hsien-Ko against someone else.

Stop trying to lead lurkers astray. I know it's fun, but c'mon now.

I've played sevral matches where its come down to Hsienko with a life lead.

I think more people should try her because she has a lot of redeeming qualities. She's a really great assist character. She works if you put the effort into making her work.

Azure J

Thread, I need you to teach me how to Magnus. I'm really enjoying everything about my B team except for the fact that I need waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more practice with Magneto. Problem is, a lot of his stuff doesn't come too naturally to me even though I get the general idea.

That's where Mahvel GAF comes in. Anyone care to explain to me in the bare basic manner how to Maggy?

@Dah: SolarPowered's going to come in and have a minor aneurism @ making her work if you put effort into it.

Azure J

Worst part (and probably the reason why I get hung up on this at times) is that her play style is something really well tailored to Marvel and would be very interesting to see fully realized. Sadly, it doesn't seem like it's meant to be.

Dahbomb

Magneto's flow chart:

*Tridash j.L. It's unreactable.
*Mash cr.L for hit confirm.
*Spam air dashes into j.f+H. Free OS air throw.
*Some dash cancel combos, make sure to throw in a bunch of j.Hs.
*Spam Magnetic Blasts in everything... zoning, approaches, combos even mix ups.
*Spam Disruptor at full screen away.
*Pair him with a teleporter + lock down assist = unreactable teleport mix ups on your team + unreactable high/low Magneto mix ups

Pretty much what most random Magnetos do. Magnetic Blast spamming is a new thing though but very effective. Not a lot of use of Gravitation/Attraction moves though.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Thread, I need you to teach me how to Magnus. I'm really enjoying everything about my B team except for the fact that I need waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more practice with Magneto. Problem is, a lot of his stuff doesn't come too naturally to me even though I get the general idea.

That's where Mahvel GAF comes in. Anyone care to explain to me in the bare basic manner how to Maggy?

@Dah: SolarPowered's going to come in and have a minor aneurism @ making her work if you put effort into it.

Who is on your B-team?

First and foremost, practice his movement. I think, that's probably one of the more important things you should learn with him(with any character really). Once you get his movement down, add magnetic blasts to it to cover your approaches. Spend time doing that and work on combos and such.

People will warn you not to use Force Field. It has it's uses though. If you miss, you can always cancel it with his hypers. Worry about that later though.

Don't worry about trying to do "Rom" loops until you can do his basic shit.

Dahbomb

Yipes was right when he said that once Mag players start utilizing Magnetic Blasts things are going to get dirty. We are finally seeing players like FChamp, Joker, Tokido, RayRay use that move to really gain an upper hand in the neutral warfare. I am surprised it took this long for people to use that tool in his arsenal.

No amount of trolling can get me down. Skullgirls is nearly here and I'm excited as hell that my most anticipated fighter of the year is just days away from falling into my lap. It's not the same kind of hype that Mahvel had last year, but nothing except maybe Smash could make me that antsy.
I can say with confidence that Hsien-Ko is only the second worst character in the game. So at least she has that going for her.
It's like coming in last place at an ugly contest. It doesn't matter that you are the least ugly one... you are still butt ugly lol.
Worst part (and probably the reason why I get hung up on this at times) is that her play style is something really well tailored to Marvel and would be very interesting to see fully realized. Sadly, it doesn't seem like it's meant to be.
I used to think about it a lot when I nodded off back in the earlier days after Vanilla MvC3 was released. I used to wonder how retarded she would be if I had control over that single character. It doesn't happen anymore now that I've got other good fighters to keep me distracted.

She was just never meant to be good. A tiny little female Jiang shi was never meant to win EVO in a modern fighter. Just look at the reactions people have had to Morrigan(who is the damned star of Darkstalkers). This extends to other characters like Ammy and RR. You best believe that Capcom would perform tests for rabies if those two touched grand finals.

Dahbomb

People didn't have a problem with Ammy's performance in Vanilla (and for the record she won a lot of majors including a brief appearance in Grand Finals EVO) and no one has a problem with RR's performance at FR which is 2nd biggest tournament in USA after EVO. Ditto on Felicia who people were ROOTING for in FR when she was doing her XF3 Cat Spike infinite (chanting the Yun "eh eh eh"). People wouldn't have a problem with Morrigan either if it weren't for the whole Soul Fist + Missile spam. I am sure if someone like JJJ took her to grand finals people would be rooting for rushdown Morrigan.

It's not the character but the play style that puts people off. If Hsien Ko was hype, people would root for her. But she is boring as hell even when she's winning.

Alternatively Phoenix won most major tournaments in Vanilla and she was hated for all those wins despite being a super sexy popular female X-men character. The nerf hammer came down swift and even now people hate her. It's the playstyle that is more important IMO. Phoenix teams are the epitome of the lame stuff. I am a huge Phoenix fan as a character but god damn I wouldn't touch that playstyle with a 10 foot pole.

Azure J

Magneto's flow chart:

*Tridash j.L. It's unreactable.
*Mash cr.L for hit confirm.
*Spam air dashes into j.f+H. Free OS air throw.
*Some dash cancel combos, make sure to throw in a bunch of j.Hs.
*Spam Magnetic Blasts in everything... zoning, approaches, combos even mix ups.
*Spam Disruptor at full screen away.
*Pair him with a teleporter + lock down assist = unreactable teleport mix ups on your team + unreactable high/low Magneto mix ups

Pretty much what most random Magnetos do. Magnetic Blast spamming is a new thing though but very effective. Not a lot of use of Gravitation/Attraction moves though.

Heh, I'll mention the team setup in five seconds and you'll automatically know that I understand the bolded. As for what I'm asking about, it's mostly regarding (I'm guessing) movement and more specifically movement mid combos for the ROM loops.

Who is on your B-team?

Dante (Jam Session)/Felicia (Rolling Buckler)/Magneto (Estaka)

First and foremost, practice his movement. I think, that's probably one of the more important things you should learn with him(with any character really). Once you get his movement down, add magnetic blasts to it to cover your approaches. Spend time doing that and work on combos and such.

People will warn you not to use Force Field. It has it's uses though. If you miss, you can always cancel it with his hypers. Worry about that later though.

Don't worry about trying to do "Rom" loops until you can do his basic shit.

I figured as much. I've been playing around with the Gravitation moves and Estaka is always good for those "SHIT what do I do now" moments, but I wanna get in depth with him and figured I'd ask here since he seems to be popular. Magnetic Blast looks like something that would start shenanigans easy, but I'm not at the consistency level needed to rattle them off regularly. Force Field is interesting in that it's pretty much an Ammy counter but people have gone so far as to say the move doesn't exist in terms of how one should play Maggy properly. I like it though.

Really though, this is all about positioning mid combos. I figure it's gotta be the same kinda mentality to the Buktooth Doom loops in terms of *air series* - H - airdash down forward H, but after that, fuck if I know even with all my time trying to apply things until it works.

Yipes was right when he said that once Mag players start utilizing Magnetic Blasts things are going to get dirty. We are finally seeing players like FChamp, Joker, Tokido, RayRay use that move to really gain an upper hand in the neutral warfare. I am surprised it took this long for people to use that tool in his arsenal.

It's really good, coming down out of the air with that then going into a tridash'd L is almost an information overload especially with his dash speed.

No amount of trolling can get me down. Skullgirls is nearly here and I'm excited as hell that my most anticipated fighter of the year is just days away from falling into my lap. It's not the same kind of hype that Mahvel had last year, but nothing except maybe Smash could make me that antsy.

It's like coming in last place at an ugly contest. It doesn't matter that you are the least ugly one... you are still butt ugly lol.

I used to think about it a lot when I nodded off back in the earlier days after Vanilla MvC3 was released. I used to wonder how retarded she would be if I had control over that single character. It doesn't happen anymore now that I've got other good fighters to keep me distracted.

She was just never meant to be good. A tiny little female Jiang shi was never meant to win EVO in a modern fighter. Just look at the reactions people have had to Morrigan(who is the damned star of Darkstalkers). This extends to other characters like Ammy and RR. You best believe that Capcom would perform tests for rabies if those two touched grand finals.

1. No lies, as soon as Smash 4 happens, I wouldn't be surprised if Mahvel GAF doesn't see me around as much. :lol

2. Yeah, I gotcha. It kinda sucks when popularity determines viability and not the archetype or precedence, but we're weirdos after all. Just need to pick a top tier more popular next time.

For reference's sake though, most of my favorites and discovered favorites were good. :lol

Edit: Dah makes me rethink my stance somewhat, but at the same time, people will see her MvC3 incarnation as a baseline for what her style is going forward and write her off without a second thought because of the combination of underexposure and poor all around ability. Hell, just look at how we tried to convince Enzo (just for example's sake) that she was godlike when he straight up said she wasn't good enough for Marvel! :p

Also, who's this JJJ? *intrigued*

You mentioned how important the general public is to Capcom and how it will lead to Wesker's demise sooner rather than later. I forgot to mention that this will play a huge role in the impending great nerfage of 2012. RR and Ammy won't stand a chance if the scrubby masses aim their sites at them.

I'm not so sure that Capcom can stop Wesker now that he is Sparda

smurfx

get some go again
ugh haggar fighting a zoning wesker is an impossible fight for haggar. it doesn't matter where i go it seems his stupid shots always hit me.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Heh, I'll mention the team setup in five seconds and you'll automatically know that I understand the bolded. As for what I'm asking about, it's mostly regarding (I'm guessing) movement and more specifically movement mid combos for the ROM loops.

Dante (Jam Session)/Felicia (Rolling Buckler)/Magneto (Estaka)

I figured as much. I've been playing around with the Gravitation moves and Estaka is always good for those "SHIT what do I do now" moments, but I wanna get in depth with him and figured I'd ask here since he seems to be popular. Magnetic Blast looks like something that would start shenanigans easy, but I'm not at the consistency level needed to rattle them off regularly. Force Field is interesting in that it's pretty much an Ammy counter but people have gone so far as to say the move doesn't exist in terms of how one should play Maggy properly. I like it though.

Really though, this is all about positioning mid combos. I figure it's gotta be the same kinda mentality to the Buktooth Doom loops in terms of *air series* - H - airdash down forward H, but after that, fuck if I know even with all my time trying to apply things until it works.

I like Force Field too, especially at the start of the match. It's also good for getting out of unblockables. Just takes...thought to use.

There are like two versions of Rom and I can't do either. *tear* I can do Doom's shit just fine though. First version is the regular H Rom and the second one looks more like Marvel 2: L & M. Can't help you there, maybe the better Mag players can steer you in the right direction.

Gravity moves are great when they're trying to recover. Push them back if they're trying to tech forward and continue the pressure. Mix in Jam Session and you have an annoying ass zoning/rushdown Maggie.

I'd work on Hyper Grav loops as well. A few reps tacks on damage. They're easier to do in this version and have a few different variations to them. lol. RayRay does one with S instead of the normal H, Hyper Grav, [s.j, add H, H, hyper grav]. Some use J.M and J.H.

If you finish up a combo with air S, Dante has enough time to raw tag in and Volcano, blah, blah, blah, bullshit, bullshit, bullshit, SSStylish they're ass to death. :D

TK'd Estakas are your friend.

Edit: And all of your characters have Braindead Lvl 3 X factor infinites. Mags even has and X Factor hypergrav loop midscreen, using nothing but hyper grav H and launch.

shaowebb

Not gonna lie...if I hit the lotto I'd be throwing money into Revergelabs so that they could cram the full 40 into that game and hire some outsourced animation companies to help them speed up the keyframing needed to build these games. Hell I'd also by them a contract with WB for the DC license and let them make a game with super heroes to compete with Marvel given how much Marvel inspired them to create something like this that was balanced and filled with less shenanigans.

Revergelabs owns my soul. Most consumer feedback considerate group of guys I've ever seen. Hope they stick around a long time.

JeTmAn81

ugh haggar fighting a zoning wesker is an impossible fight for haggar. it doesn't matter where i go it seems his stupid shots always hit me.
Didn't you say that you felt like your Haggar was a good match for Wesker? I don't think it makes any sense to run Haggar without a lockdown assist against characters with even decent zoning ability. You should be able to dismantle a runaway Wesker with your arrow guys anyway.

Dahbomb

You mentioned how important the general public is to Capcom and how it will lead to Wesker's demise sooner rather than later. I forgot to mention that this will play a huge role in the impending great nerfage of 2012. RR and Ammy won't stand a chance if the scrubby masses aim their sites at them.

I'm not so sure that Capcom can stop Wesker now that he is Sparda
It's safe to say that if Morrigan gets nerfed then Capcom is really out to please the crowd with their balance changes. I hope they don't succumb to the pressure but my gut says they will.

I was sure they were going to nerf Wesker but with the new revelation on him... I just don't know. He has transcended "son of Sparda" tier to "Sparda" tier.

Also, who's this JJJ? *intrigued*
Very good Morrigan player, he prefers to rushdown with her. Watching him and Omniscythe play really shows the versatility of the character to tackle various match ups, she isn't just about the Soul spam.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Wouldn't that DMC artwork be pre-production stuff. Like maybe it was a remnant from when it was RE4. Then again I haven't seen the picture myself.

Maybe it's fan art. That'd be hilarious.

What's ironic about Morrigan is that when DS4 comes out, her now "signature" playstyle of soul fist spam combined with AV won't even exist. The folks who are just coming to know her will be confused.

What's ironic about Morrigan is that when DS4 comes out, her now "signature" playstyle of soul fist spam combined with AV won't even exist. The folks who are just coming to know her will be confused.

That'll be hilarious.

"Back in my day, we didn't have fancy poly-counts for Morrigan. We used the same hand-drawn sprite for her through 10 or so games, and we *LIKED IT."

*Nobody actually liked it, as funny as it was.

smurfx

get some go again
Didn't you say that you felt like your Haggar was a good match for Wesker? I don't think it makes any sense to run Haggar without a lockdown assist against characters with even decent zoning ability. You should be able to dismantle a runaway Wesker with your arrow guys anyway.
its still a good match up for haggar as long as you have any zoning type assist but its freaking annoying having to dodge 3 air shots to get a chance at wesker. maybe it was also hard since i was playing chuck and he knows haggars weaknesses. :p this week has been great as i added both bum and chuck to my friends list. i'm hoping to learn more haggar stuff by playing them. chucks team synergy is so damn good and it allows haggar to touch of death anybody on my team.

Dahbomb

Wouldn't that DMC artwork be pre-production stuff. Like maybe it was a remnant from when it was RE4. Then again I haven't seen the picture myself.
It IS a pre-production concept art work apparently. There are a ton of stuff like that for DMC1 around including various depictions of Sparda in human form (no confirmed one, even the LDK form which Dante's alt costume has a massive debate over). This artwork was clearly from when DMC1 was supposed to be RE4.

I always thought the whole trenchcoats style in DMC was from Matrix/Blade (DMC came out like a year after the Matrix) but it's apparently from Wesker and RE.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
So I just figured out that Taskmaster can do his XF Aim Master corner loop against some of the smaller characters even when he's not using XF. Kind of neat, but does less damage than the Sting Master loop.

Morrigan doesn't have a signature playstyle. She plays almost completely differently in every game she's in, even in those that reuse the same sprite and almost the same exact pool of moves.

CVS2 N-Morrigan is the best. Auto-correct air normals out of a dash makes her funky dash really good in that game.

Dahbomb

I will never forget my personal favorite Morrigan moment. MvC1 was new, went to the arcades to play it. I was a massive scrub but having fun with the game. Some dude who knew what he was doing picks Morrigan and some character (because he was just stylin' on me with Morrigan don't even remember his other character) proceeds to own me without even using meter. Then just as I am about to die he says "dude don't press buttons let me do this" and I am like "what?" he does the input for the Eternal Slumber and I get sexed up by Morrigan behind pink curtains (first time seeing the hyper, didn't know what was going). People behind me erupted in laughter and hype.

I didn't know if I should've felt embarrassed or turned on... but it was fun getting taken out like that.

That'll be hilarious.

"Back in my day, we didn't have fancy poly-counts for Morrigan. We used the same hand-drawn sprite for her through 10 or so games, and we *LIKED IT."

*Nobody actually liked it, as funny as it was.
I liked it!

Morrigan doesn't have a signature playstyle. She plays almost completely differently in every game she's in, even in those that reuse the same sprite and almost the same exact pool of moves.
I think you're misunderstanding me. I'm talking about how people who came to know her through MvC3 will see that as her signature playstyle. I recognize that she has been a various character throughout the games she has been in.

I will never forget my personal favorite Morrigan moment. MvC1 was new, went to the arcades to play it. I was a massive scrub but having fun with the game. Some dude who knew what he was doing picks Morrigan and some character (because he was just stylin' on me with Morrigan don't even remember his other character) proceeds to own me without even using meter. Then just as I am about to die he says "dude don't press buttons let me do this" and I am like "what?" he does the input for the Eternal Slumber and I get sexed up by Morrigan behind pink curtains (first time seeing the hyper, didn't know what was going). People behind me erupted in laughter and hype.

I didn't know if I should've felt embarrassed or turned on... but it was fun getting taken out like that.
That reminds me of Orchid in Killer Instinct. As a young man just hitting puberty, it was a mystifying experience to have her rip her shirt open as a "fatality" on a 52" TV at an arcade. It took me the damn longest time to understand why the opponent died. I kept thinking that her boobs must be secretly hideous and terrifying, or something. Those were some fun games.

Some of these are so awesome:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmUba8LpxD8

Hoping that Curleh Mustache would start on time so it won't screw with my sleeping too much...... who am I kidding it's a marvel tournament in the east coast, it would be an accomplishment if it starts sometime before Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom