• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr. puppy

Banned
i didn't say i wanted ken in the game. I said if you are making a bunch of characters to sell as DLC, thats one of the biggest characters that either of these two companies has and there is no reason to not sell it from a financial point of view.

Who ever is upset at Rufus is kind of missing the point of the character. He's supposed to be Nimble and Gigantic, because that goes against the common fighter stereotypes. If he was a fat slow guy, he'd be like every other fat slow guy. They made him quick to try and do something different. It's by no means a perfect or amazing design, there are odd choices made. Like having his snail trail visible most of the time... Eugh.

As for worst character design this gen? Where's the picture floating around of the kid with the 1 million confusing looking items and a pizza cutter sword. That shit is terrible.

shaowebb

Rufus is actually what happens to a character design when you combine several failed attempts into one character.
He originally started out as a a black skinny dude named King Cobra meant to be a faster more acrobatic shoto who used Kung Fu and Breakdance. They eventually made him fatter and white to be more American stereotyped because they wanted to set themselves apart from blander designs like the some of the designs they literally mentioned in Tekken as bland and because they wanted to freak people out. Some of the outfit designs for him were a clown and an Elvis impersonator. The clown thing was part of a Kung Fu Clown design for another character that got dropped and I think a lot of Rufus is drawn out of that design idea.They even admitted he was rushed in design but Ono really likes how grotesque his design got and it was kind of a big joke around the back that caught on till he made it in that way.

Here's the original Rufus design with the King Cobra gi.
orpMq.jpg

Rufus is actually what happens to a character design when you combine several failed attempts into one character.
He originally started out as a a black skinny named King Cobra meant to be a faster more acrobatic shoto who used Kung Fu and Breakdance. They eventually made him fatter and white to be more American stereotyped because they wanted to set themselves apart from blander designs like the some of the designs they literally mentioned in Tekken as bland and because they wanted to freak people out. Some of the outfit designs for him were a clown and an Elvis impersonator. They even admitted he was rushed in design but Ono really likes how grotesque his design got and it was kind of a big joke around the back that caught on till he made it in that way.

Here's the original Rufus design with the King Cobra gi.
http://i.imgur.com/orpMq.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Wait... King Cobra was Rufus.

My. GOD.

I want King Cobra :(

shaowebb

Wait... King Cobra was Rufus.

My. GOD.

I want King Cobra :(

Yup. King Cobra was setup to be the rival to Ken in America, and that character story turned into Rufus and Rufus became what he is from the kung fu elements of that guy, combining with the Kung Fu clown gimmick from the dropped character that had a lot of steam, and those fused with a fat american character gimmick that was passed around and the whole thing became this big grotesque amalgamation of every design into one. I think it was so bad they loved it. I know thats how Ono felt about it. He likened his design and character to being so comedic that it was like Blanka or Dan in its own right so the Blanka comparisons aren't too far off from folks earlier.

Isn't history fun :D

BTW I have no idea where the name Rufus came from. I've found no comment on where the name came from or how it came about. All I know is King Cobra was the start and somehow by the time everything else got done mixing up with that idea it became known as Rufus.

V_Arnold

Who ever is upset at Rufus is kind of missing the point of the character. He's supposed to be Nimble and Gigantic, because that goes against the common fighter stereotypes. If he was a fat slow guy, he'd be like every other fat slow guy. They made him quick to try and do something different. It's by no means a perfect or amazing design, there are odd choices made. Like having his snail trail visible most of the time... Eugh.

As for worst character design this gen? Where's the picture floating around of the kid with the 1 million confusing looking items and a pizza cutter sword. That shit is terrible.

This is not really a fighter stereotype, but more like a convention. You do not get to have a huge health pool, amazing damage AND mobility. That is broken in the concept level. And a frigging dive kick as well?

I am really amazed that the framework of SFIV did not break down with Rufus as in a decade-old concept like Ryu was still be able to have a kind-of even matchup with this abomination.

It is not interesting as a concept if you break down from the stereotypes or conventions this way, imho. It is just lazy. "What weakness do big guys have? Oh, their speed. Yeah, remove that. We are genius!"

Grecco

Any tips on executing the Lightning Loop? I have trouble with the switch charging thing, I can TK the lightnings with some consistently now.

The way Megaman steve explained it, was that it wasnt TK TK TK TK ore ike TK not TK TK not TK

shaowebb

This is not really a fighter stereotype, but more like a convention. You do not get to have a huge health pool, amazing damage AND mobility. That is broken in the concept level. And a frigging dive kick as well?

I am really amazed that the framework of SFIV did not break down with Rufus as in a decade-old concept like Ryu was still be able to have a kind-of even matchup with this abomination.

It is not interesting as a concept if you break down from the stereotypes or conventions this way, imho. It is just lazy. "What weakness do big guys have? Oh, their speed. Yeah, remove that. We are genius!"

From a gameplay design he does break a lot of rules, but Rufus not being King Cobra came about because of how strongly Capcom wanted to avoid following fighter stereotypes. At his core he is meant to be the opposite of what every other fighting game would do with a character. He's fat so they made him the opposite of a fat guy in gameplay by making him fast. He's fast so they made him the opposite of a fast guy in balance by throwing him high health and damage.

I'm not saying its balanced or fair...I don't even play SF or know enough about its meta to take a side on whether he is or not, but he is at his core a character added to defy conventions in all regards. Thats why he keeps getting used so much.

Yup. King Cobra was setup to be the rival to Ken in America, and that character story turned into Rufus and Rufus became what he is from the kung fu elements of that guy, combining with the Kung Fu clown gimmick from the dropped character that had a lot of steam, and those fused with a fat american character gimmick that was passed around and the whole thing became this big grotesque amalgamation of every design into one. I think it was so bad they loved it. I know thats how Ono felt about it. He likened his design and character to being so comedic that it was like Blanka or Dan in its own right so the Blanka comparisons aren't too far off from folks earlier.

Isn't history fun :D

BTW I have no idea where the name Rufus came from. I've found no comment on where the name came from or how it came about. All I know is King Cobra was the start and somehow by the time everything else got done mixing up with that idea it became known as Rufus.
I want the King Cobra design but with a cool flow style like Lei Wulong's snake stance. Also, add in projectiles and ducking forward and back. Would be boss. Making him another Shoto with some breakdancing moves and some inflections of Kung fu would have been a waste in my opinion.

And yes, Convention is a much better word for what I was talking about than Stereotype. The health thing, I can sorta understand that it shouldn't be as high as it currently is on him. He's still alright though in my book. Not horrible, just different.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Ken Masters all day every day. Don't hate on the style of the rich and famous.

Played some sets with my brother yesterday. Man...fuck Jill omg. I felt like I was blocking forever with her and drones on screen. Of course, I block a thousand mixups and this happens:

*Finally presses a button*
"SUMMAH SAULT"

-___________-

Rufus is a terrible character design that looks like a shit American stereotype. The guy has absolutely no lasting power whatsoever. The only reason they keep putting him in other games is so that Capcom can scratch that troll itch. I'm still impressed by his position on the TxSF fan polls though.

Also, the last thing we need are 100k SF kids trying to spam DPs in Mahvel ranked.

Dahbomb

The hate for Rufus in this thread is insane. I have never seen such seething rage against a single FG character in my life. And this isn't even a SF thread.

I would honestly put Bo Rai of MK over Rufus. This character vomits as his special move... yea.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Overall, I'm really happy with the SFIV series additions to Street Fighter.

God Tier
Hakan - Most unique, and a fantastic character design overall.
Abel - A minimalist sort of SF design that I can see going down as a classic.

Top Tier
Seth - This guy reeks badass. He's not even imaginative, and not in the slightest unique. The laziest boss design ever, but they gave it that extra bit of awesome sauce. Teleport suplexes, triple shoryukens, toe taps, washing machine in his stomach. He defines excess, he's the fighting game Rick Ross. *grunt*
Crimson Viper - A tech-based Street Fighter, who's a secret agent and mother. What's not to like?

Mid Tier
Gouken - Just by being fucking Gouken he is able to get this high. *does shin-SRK*
Juri - I mean, she looks kinda cool, but a bit goofy too, and not in a cool way. I like that she's all Tae-Kwon-Do and shit, even though her moveset is barely reminiscent of anything of that discipline.
El Fuerte - It's like every other Street Fighter stereotype, without the twist or charm. Oh wait he's a chef... yeah...

Rufus Tier
Rufus - You get the idea.

Juri or Seth would be the best fits for MvC3. Although Hakan with a 1-frame U2 would be awesome, he'd probably get the shit end of the stick for being a grappler.

Ken

So after watching some stuff from the DMC HD thread, I really want to pick up Dante and Vergil in this game. What are some good beginner combos to learn with each of them? I never used Dante much because I couldn't do bold cancels, but at this point (starting to get bored of my current team of simple but not stylish combos) I might as well try learning.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

God Tier

Top Tier
Seth - This guy reeks badass. He's not even imaginative, and not in the slightest unique. The laziest boss design ever, but they gave it that extra bit of awesome sauce. Teleport suplexes, triple shoryukens, toe taps, washing machine in his stomach. He defines excess, he's the fighting game Rick Ross. *grunt*
Crimson Viper - A tech-based Street Fighter, who's a secret agent and mother. What's not to like?

Mid Tier
Gouken - Just by being fucking Gouken he is able to get this high. *does shin-SRK*
Juri - I mean, she looks kinda cool, but a bit goofy too, and not in a cool way. I like that she's all Tae-Kwon-Do and shit, even though her moveset is barely reminiscent of anything of that discipline.
El Fuerte - It's like every other Street Fighter stereotype, without the twist or charm. Oh wait he's a chef... yeah...

Rufus Tier

Juri or Seth would be the best fits for MvC3. Although Hakan with a 1-frame U2 would be awesome, he'd probably get the shit end of the stick for being a grappler.

Feh, Hakan should get super armor from oil that he used on himself. If he used it like three time, then you will get three frame super armor. and instant anti air hyper against people who love to jump so that would force people to change their strategy.

His slide should be cancelable into anything. Slide into any moves, to play a great mind game. IF people try to jump and punish your slide, and you can cancel into anti air hyper easily.

I can imagine how much salts he will cause. :)

btw I don't get rufus hate too. I found him very unique. I guess people hate how cheap he was.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Feh, Hakan should get super armor from oil that he used on himself. If he used it like three time, then you will get three frame super armor. and instant anti air hyper against people who love to jump so that would force people to change their strategy.

His slide should be cancelable into anything. Slide into any moves, to play a great mind game. IF people try to jump and punish your slide, and you can cancel into anti air hyper easily.

I can imagine how much salts he will cause. :)

btw I don't get rufus hate too. I found him very unique. I guess people hate how cheap he was.
One thing SFxTK did right was giving grapplers super armor on some grabs. There's a fine line of balance there, but if your gonna throw a ton of startup on it anyways, give it some super armor so that people have actual reason to take that risk. I don't think it'd break the game if Haggar's command grab suplexes were given 1 hit of armor. You pretty much only use them if you've already 200% downloaded your opponent.

shaowebb

The hate for Rufus in this thread is insane. I have never seen such seething rage against a single FG character in my life. And this isn't even a SF thread.

I would honestly put Bo Rai of MK over Rufus. This character vomits as his special move... yea.

This a million times over. I actually trained in Kung Fu and drunken style was my obsession. I even tried sparring with it. I just loved that damn system and was very lucky to be taught any of it as early as I was. Bo Rai Cho is a major fucking insult to the form, and all its about and all of us who used it. Guy was a drunk joke, not a drunken boxing practitioner. You want a good Drunken Boxer then play DOA's Brad Wong. Dude does the form right.

The entire form is about power shots centered at nerve clusters, and about using flexibility to dodge up close (thus the boxing element). Yeah you act drunk, but thats all it is and hollywood WAY over embellishes how hard you play it up as do most performers competing with the style. To spar or actually use the style functionally you don't spend your time derping around trying to show off nearly as much. You just stay loose and like a boxer use your u....sigh...I'm getting carried away talking form again.

Point I was making was Bo Rai Cho is a WAY more insulting fat guy than Rufus. Bo Rai Cho pukes, falls on you with his gut and is just an overall pig. Rufus is actually pretty fun to play from my own experience even if he's stupid looking. Thats why I'm chill with the character.

God Tier

Top Tier

Mid Tier

Rufus Tier

I like the new SF4 designs for the most part too. For me, it goes like this:

A: Hakan, Abel, Gouken

B: C.Viper, Juri, Fuerte

Everything else: Seth, Rufus

I think there is no hate for Bo Rai , because nobody knows or cares really about him really, haha. He wasn't good, and he was dropped from MK. Maybe if he was in MK9, the hate would be more upfront.

And I don't I don't mind the mold of character they were trying with Rufus (fat and nimble). It's his particular visual design. He looks like a dumb, unappealing nimble fat guy, heh

O yea, I think GAF hates Blanka more than Rufus. Go team Blanka.

V_Arnold

I am not against the looks of Rufus at all. What I am against is the idea of his gameplay mechanics and the power/speed behind that.

Dahbomb

No Akuma mention?
Can Akuma's DP be made safe or can it convert into a TOD or have like 60 frames of invincibility?

Well actually it can convert into a TOD now with air X factor and air demon flip but still... not that great of a DP for normal usage.

I-hate-u

Can Akuma's DP be made safe or can it convert into a TOD or have like 60 frames of invincibility?

Well actually it can convert into a TOD now with air X factor and air demon flip but still... not that great of a DP for normal usage.

I like using his DP against Magnetos/Ironmans etc that go for the high/low mixups. Its a risk, and I wish Akuma's air beam hyper can be projected downwards like Ryu, but its better than a dead Akuma

kirblar

Thought it had a metric crap-ton of invincibility like his DP super.

Bizazedo

I like Rufus character design :(. Hate fighting him, but think he's hilarious when he never shuts up.

Tournament I ran over the weekend was good. Best of 5 really is the best. Should have made it farther, but a guy I play with regularly locally Phoenix'd me. I get way too amped up in crowds :(.

Us guys from Delaware actually knocked a bunch of the Philly guys out, though, and a Delawarean took it this time.

Best of 5 ftw.

..we also did 2vs2 SF x TK. Josh Wong is pretty damned good :(. It's so hard to get hype in that game, though.

smurfx

get some go again
The SBO news is currently exploding Justin's brain on twitter. :)
what news?

One thing SFxTK did right was giving grapplers super armor on some grabs. There's a fine line of balance there, but if your gonna throw a ton of startup on it anyways, give it some super armor so that people have actual reason to take that risk. I don't think it'd break the game if Haggar's command grab suplexes were given 1 hit of armor. You pretty much only use them if you've already 200% downloaded your opponent.
god it would be awesome if he got armor on this throws.

Azure J

Zero's SRK canceled into Sougenmu on first hit is some evil fucking shit. Especially as a Crossover Counter where it's fully invincible. Zero does have the best SRK.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3. Tougeki 2012. Yes, it's happening.

wat

Azure J

OK Dante bros, I know I asked about this before, but it's gotten to the point where I want to start stylin' on folks now and mastering the Bold Cancel Teleport is key to this. Anyone here want to share how they practiced it until they get it consistently? I'm trying the plink method because 360 pad and jitters when I try the f.H-H+S-down down S method getting the better of me (even though from using the latter method in training mode, I can "feel" when it works which is a big deal to me).

My B team (Dante/Felicia/Magnus) has a weakness to it that I'm mad I didn't think about before hand. It's free to aerial zoning since none of my assists (besides Dante on Jam Session, but he's the point character) help swat flies like Zero out of the air when they want to get lame. I need to work something out there, but I'm not changing the construction of this team for now.

Sigmaah

What if some of the characters displayed in the player match lobby are characters that might come in an expansion?

Captain Commando, Venom, and Gambit? I'm in!

Azure J

GODDAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE GUARDBREAK TECH. SCIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I literally just started this video... I am now omega hyped for this shit.

Son Son would be the shit in this game. I'd troll endlessly with full screen wall run and assist calls. :lol

Game is done if that becomes do-able regularly. You'll see Sentinel resurface as second slot, anyways.

Agreed. People won't have a choice but to use Hard Drive.

Oh God, it's that bad? :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom